Disney+ Streaming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Disney+ Streaming

Post by Isgrimnur »

The only thing that they've stated so far that's animated is the What If series.

The Verge
Feige also reiterated that all of these series will be integrated with the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. The three new series are set to join the streaming service after a handful of other titles, including The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, WandaVision, Loki, and What If?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, not sure if this has been noted before in the thread but, I read that the Disney + original shows will be unveiled one episode at a time week to week instead of a season at a time. This is a bummer for me. And, this will likely make me a part time subscriber - despite that being more expensive than paying for a year at a time. I hope they don't play games like not leaving an original show's whole season available once it's "original week to week run" is over.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve got no problem with weekly releases. And I highly doubt they’ll not make them all available after they air. What would be the point of spending all that money on original content if you don’t use it to lure subscribers?
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

JCC wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:18 am So, not sure if this has been noted before in the thread but, I read that the Disney + original shows will be unveiled one episode at a time week to week instead of a season at a time. This is a bummer for me. And, this will likely make me a part time subscriber - despite that being more expensive than paying for a year at a time. I hope they don't play games like not leaving an original show's whole season available once it's "original week to week run" is over.
Personally I welcome it. At the very least so the kids get a taste of what it's like to wait for weekly episodes. They have never had to do so.

And I'm sure the back episodes will be be available. It's just a way to manage and build hype.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Nope, there will be a timer. Episodes can not be watched any faster than once a week, regardless of when you start. Something about 'artistic intent', although more likely to make people subscribe for longer.*

*None of that is true, but there is a certain evil genius to it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Exactly. The ole we-don't-want-people-binging-and-canceling.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Watch episode 6 soon, before it goes back into the Disney Vault!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 am *None of that is true, but there is a certain evil genius to it.
:lol:
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 am Nope, there will be a timer. Episodes can not be watched any faster than once a week, regardless of when you start. Something about 'artistic intent', although more likely to make people subscribe for longer.*

*None of that is true, but there is a certain evil genius to it.
What really sucks is that the timer they're using is based on the Catalan time system, which means if you don't start at a quarter hour mark, you can't watch it. :|
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

That is likely a deal breaker for me.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm fine with it. I have enough crap to watch, and frankly being limited to one episode a week actually makes that somewhat manageable.

It does make it easier that I have kids, and the idea of me subbing for a Disney streaming network and then canceling after a month was pretty much never in the cards. I'm all in on this one.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

So does this mean that Disney+ will not allow downloading and watching offline? That's a big draw for Amazon and Netflix and it allows me to watch a series when I'm traveling. It would suck to not be able to do that, which it doesn't sound like you can do.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote:So does this mean that Disney+ will not allow downloading and watching offline? That's a big draw for Amazon and Netflix and it allows me to watch a series when I'm traveling. It would suck to not be able to do that, which it doesn't sound like you can do.
It says on their website that you can download an unlimited number of “your favorites”.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

But if The Madalorian is one of my favorites, I would only be able to download one at a time, right? How would they stop me from binging otherwise?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote:But if The Madalorian is one of my favorites, I would only be able to download one at a time, right? How would they stop me from binging otherwise?
I would assume you download the episodes that are available.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:58 pm But if The Madalorian is one of my favorites, I would only be able to download one at a time, right? How would they stop me from binging otherwise?
They aren't forcing you to watch one at a time. They are releasing them one at a time.

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm very much a fan of the one-a-week release format. With Game of Thrones, you keep most of the public on the same page. I love having the "did you catch the latest episode?" watercooler discussions each week.

With the binge watch release model, you end up with
"Did you watch Stranger Things yet?!"
"Yes! I just finished!"
"Wait wait, no spoilers, I'm only on episode 5."
"Did you see the one with the Bengal tiger yet?"
"No, thanks for spoiling it."
"Guys stop, I haven't started that season yet."
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That's not what Stessier wrote. They will have a timer associated with your account so that when you start watching episode x, you can't start the episode x+1 until a week later. At least that's how I read it.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Stessier has a nearly impossible to read footnote that indicates he's joking.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Damn you, Stessier.

It's actually an interesting plan though. People are prevented from buying one month and binging on a year's worth of content.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:40 pm Stessier has a nearly impossible to read footnote that indicates he's joking.
 Stessier 

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:51 pm Damn you, Stessier.

It's actually an interesting plan though. People are prevented from buying one month and binging on a year's worth of content.
Or discouraged from buying period.
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Yea, only interesting if your intent is to fail at it :D
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Disney knows the kids watch and rewatch their shows over and over. No goddamn way they limit us to one episode per week.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:40 pm Stessier has a nearly impossible to read footnote that indicates he's joking.
Nearly? I can't find any mechanism to make it visible short of quoting his post.

I do wish I'd known about that before spending fifteen minutes searching around for confirmation.

Anyway, the weekly thing isn't new. CBS and DC have both done that all along.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Well, we are going to have to get this at my house.
Several of my favorite shows have come to an end recently, and its just in time for a new batch.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:12 pm
Nearly? I can't find any mechanism to make it visible short of quoting his post.

I do wish I'd known about that before spending fifteen minutes searching around for confirmation.

Sorry.

There is an extension that makes all text the same size. I didn't even think that was necessary, though, as it was small but completely readable on my three black theme using standard chrome.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Disney is offering a discount on a three year Disney+ membership if you’re a member of the D23 club. You can sign up for a free membership on the site. Details here.

3 year membership will save you $23 a year.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
JCC

Post by JCC »

I also can't see the (damn) footnote. Glad you were kidding.

Still don't really like the decision to release week to week, but I'll just wait to watch when they are 1-2 weeks from being finished.
Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:12 pm

JCC wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:36 pm I also can't see the (damn) footnote. Glad you were kidding.
Quote the post and you'll see it in your message composition box.

MYT
JCC

Post by JCC »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:41 pm Quote the post and you'll see it in your message composition box.
Yes, I had seen that method of finding the footnote prior to my post. Just making it clear that I too couldn't see it without quoting the post. (Or maybe NOT making it clear....)

On another note, per Cord Cutters News you can save 33% off Disney+ for 3 years if you sign up for a free D23 account and prepay for 3 years.

Details
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It might be a theme thing. Some themes may entirely cut text below a certain size (this was size=1.)

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep, nothing for Size 1 at all in Digi. Size 2 is visible.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

So... if you're not a cord-cutter and you go for this 3 year deal... does that just make you a sucker who likes to give the Mouse money? :)

I was going to maybe go for a year after it was up for a few month or maybe just a month or two at a time and binge, but this deal sounds too good. Especially as the wife and kid like a lot of the animated movies and wife likes most of the Marvel movies - ad free streaming would be great.

This is ad-free right?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, ad free. For my family it’s a no brainer.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

JCC wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:47 pm
On another note, per Cord Cutters News you can save 33% off Disney+ for 3 years if you sign up for a free D23 account and prepay for 3 years.

Details
Hent mentioned that too I think.

Too many 3s going on there, seems...oh, I don't know...satanic???!!

Enlarge Image

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You gotta work your way up to 666, man. You can’t just go full on anti-Christ without first priming the pumps with some near anti-Christs. Disney is serving the Dark Lord at a reasonable pace.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm holding off on the 3-year because I already have Hulu and I'm hoping I'll be better off doing the Hulu/ESPN Plus/Disney Plus bundle. I've only seen the $11.99 thrown out for the ad-supported Hulu though. I'm not sure what it will be for those with the full version.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Just signed us up. 1 year free seems like a good deal for me. Kids can watch all they want, and I can watch the new star wars series.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I just signed up as well. Now, what are the odds that Samsung will release a native app for their Smart TVs?