Disney+ Streaming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Re: Disney+ Streaming

Post by naednek »

Living on the west coast, i was able to download disney plus app @ 10pm and was able to watch The star wars show. Forbes was wrong :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, I'm on Mountain and it's working here. Did not realize this would have the old X-Men cartoon. Woot!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 pm Forbes
The official Marvel site and Star Wars site countdown timers reveal that Disney Plus launches in the United States, Canada and the Netherlands at the following times on November 12:

3 am PST
4 am MST
5 am CST
6 am EST
Purely by coincidence, my account was created at 0603 EST. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Looks/runs great on Android and Xbox One.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m excited to load this up tonight. There’s so many things on there I don’t know what to watch first. Plus I need to keep watching His Dark Materials and Watchmen...

Too much good TV and not enough time to actually enjoy anything.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Won't load for me on my Roku. Network issues. Guessing they are just super slammed.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

They stole Netflix's UI which is a good thing.

I was able to sneak in The Mandalorian before their servers crashed and burned. Now I can't even get my daily Jeff Goldblum fix.

My kids are going to go freaking nuts over this.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m really interested in the Imagineering show, detailing how they make the parks.

And the Encore show with Kristen Bell could be cool. They reunite casts of high school plays and have them recreate it as adults.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:59 am Won't load for me on my Roku. Network issues. Guessing they are just super slammed.
Same experience I had.
msteelers wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:57 am I’m excited to load this up tonight. There’s so many things on there I don’t know what to watch first. Plus I need to keep watching His Dark Materials and Watchmen...

Too much good TV and not enough time to actually enjoy anything.
Opposite experience I am having. Mostly because I am not aware of anything but The Mandalorian and I am not really excited about that. I am helped by the fact that I only really watch TV for an hour a day with my wife and she isn't interested in a lot of the sci-fi/fantasy/super hero (is there a word that encompasses all of that?) type stuff I would normally go in for.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:19 am sci-fi/fantasy/super hero (is there a word that encompasses all of that?) type stuff I would normally go in for.
Geekfare?
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Just finished watching Wall E. Great movie. Once I’m done moving I’ll be watching a ton of the animated stuff.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Before I left for work I was at least able to browse through the menus.There's a crazy amount of stuff to go through. Once the initial rush dies down I could see using this a lot.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've watched THE MANDALORIAN and THE WORLD ACCORDING TO JEFF GOLDBLUM so far.

The Mandalorian was pretty good. I'm not prepared to say great yet, but I'm intrigued and want more. It's a little weird seeing live-action Star Wars in TV form, and that's the biggest adjustment for me. It occasionally felt more like Star Trek.

The World According to Jeff Goldblum was everything I hoped for. I love when actors are comfortable just being their own eccentric selves, and he totally embraces it. I couldn't care less about sneakers (the subject of the first episode), but he still made it fascinating. Watching him oooh and aaahh over a zebra print fabric was worth the price of admission alone.

I'm in the middle of ENCORE, which reunites high school musical performers 25 years later to recreate their performance. If you want to watch middle-aged people awkwardly sing out of tune, it's fantastic. :D

[Edit] Finished ENCORE. About halfway through I just started feeling embarrassed for everyone involved. Then when the show finally came together at the end and I saw the participants families watching with pride it punched me right in the feels.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Apparently the Simpsons pre-HD episodes are only available in stretched 16:9 resolution which means some visual gags aren't visible. What an absolutely terrible decision. At least give viewers the option to switch it. I definitely will continue to wait on this service until at least all of the Mandalorian season is available.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:19 am Opposite experience I am having. Mostly because I am not aware of anything but The Mandalorian and I am not really excited about that. I am helped by the fact that I only really watch TV for an hour a day with my wife and she isn't interested in a lot of the sci-fi/fantasy/super hero (is there a word that encompasses all of that?) type stuff I would normally go in for.
This is pretty much where I'm at as well. I've already seen and/or own all the Disney content that interests me (Mrs. Skinypupy's binder of Disney DVDs is filled to bursting), and the only original content that I'm even remotely interested in is The Mandalorian. I'll probably sub for a month once the series is finished so I can watch the whole thing, but there's nothing else that makes me want to take the plunge.

That opinion might change as they add more stuff, but there would need to be a ton added to even begin to compete with Netflix for me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's also being bundled with ESPN+ and Hulu for $12.99.

I have no interest in either but it will undoubtedly pump up the numbers.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 pm It's also being bundled with ESPN+ and Hulu for $12.99.

It's only the ad supported version of Hulu. Why they don't bundle it with the ad free version is a mystery.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

stessier wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:14 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 pm It's also being bundled with ESPN+ and Hulu for $12.99.

It's only the ad supported version of Hulu. Why they don't bundle it with the ad free version is a mystery.
They'd have my money if they would bundle with the ad free version.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I get that its all advertising and par for the course, but good grief... we prefer the ABC news station here and "news" that Disney+ started today has to be featured every 15 minutes or so. On the news. Plus commercials.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

First thing watched...

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I saw that and immediately put it on our watchlist.

I thought the Mandalorian had a great start, and we’re watching the Simpsons now. I’m not a fan of the stretched aspect ratio. Hopefully they fix it
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'd say that they're aware of the feedback.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hentzau wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:08 pm First thing watched...

Was that not already on YouTube? My kids are obsessed 1920's and 30's vintage rat and watch them all of the time. Can't say if this is one of them; I am not interested any era or color persuasion.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Here is something related to that, if you haven't seen it

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Can someone explain to me the design choice for Minnie's blouse?
msteelers

Disney+ Streaming

Post by msteelers »

Ub Iwerks was a pervert.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Greedo shoots ... at some point.

The Verge
Disney+ arrived with seven chapters of the Skywalker saga, but people have started to notice something strange about the first Star Wars film, A New Hope: it has an entirely different edit than the ones fans have seen before.

The change was “made by George made prior to the Disney acquisition,” a Disney representative told The Verge. The new edit, which was first spotted by the Star Wars Visual Comparisons Twitter account, features an entirely new insert of the Rodian bounty hunter Greedo saying something while talking to Han Solo in the Mos Eisley cantina on Tatooine.
In the newly edited scene, Greedo says something to Han before shooting (Maclunkey!), although no subtitle appears at the bottom of the screen. Han proceeds to shoot once. This is followed by “a new explosion [that] covers a transition from them shooting to Greedo hitting the table, removing the Greedo dummy altogether.”

The account also discovered while scrubbing through the footage that it appears “the timing has been adjusted farther and they now shoot on the same frame.” It’s possible that these changes were made to improve the pacing of the scene since it’s different from what was originally used.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:50 am Here is something related to that, if you haven't seen it

My family got me that for my birthday this year. It's a fun kit to put together.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It worked fine last night for the most part and we watched a bunch of things. I could see it as something I subscribe to off and on unless they start adding a ton of new content, but dear god there is a lot of old stuff on there. Some of the old shows have really crappy copies which is a bummer. For example I loaded up Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers and that looked really nice and crisp. Load up Darkwing Duck and it looks like a bootleg. :lol:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
Disney+ surpassed 10 million subscribers in its first day, the company announced today.

Disney’s announcement comes after Apptopia reported that the Disney+ app has been downloaded more than 3.2 million times. That’s despite tech problems that affected the service throughout the day. The Mandalorian, the live-action Star Wars show easily considered the crown jewel of Disney’s streaming service, saw north of 2 million streams over the first day, according to people familiar with the matter. That number has more than likely grown due to overnight and second day viewing.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

When downloaded the app on my phone yesterday at like 5am (thank you annoying cat for the 4:30 wakeup), it had like 750k downloads on Google play. I figured it would be way over 5M subs on day one, not counting pre-orders. So I put in a buy order for more DIS. Should have done call options but didn't have the time yesterday.

I think the more generous estimates a week ago were 20M in a year.

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We watched NOELLE tonight, which is exactly what you'd get if ELF and THE SANTA CLAUSE had a baby - just not as good as either of those films. However, Anna Kendrick is adorable and it has Bill Hader so I was kind of required to find it endearing.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Just remember, Anna Kendrick is the alter ego of Squirrel Girl . Pretending to be an actress allows her to move herself and her squirrels around the planet to wherever they are needed.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I think I'm going to get the most use out of Disney+ by being able to go there and grab a movie that I know well and can have on in the background while I paint minis and build terrain.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm trying hard to understand the email I received from Verizon. I can upgrade my account to unlimited ($60 a month for one line, $80 a month for two) and their receive Disney+ for a year ($7 a month credit) for free. For people already getting unlimited internet in their pants, this is probably a great bonus, but to try and entice me?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:10 pm For people already getting unlimited internet in their pants, this is probably a great bonus, but to try and entice me?
While I'm sure that's a typo, I am also highly amused by the concept and would like to hear more. :lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's how I refer to magical smart phones - you're carrying around the power of the Internet in your pants!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Verge
“We presented “The Simpsons” in 16:9 aspect ratio at launch in order to guarantee visual quality and consistency across all 30 seasons. Over time, Disney+ will roll out new features and additional viewing options. As part of this, in early 2020, Disney+ will make the first 19 seasons (and some episodes from Season 20) of “The Simpsons” available in their original 4:3 aspect ratio, giving subscribers a choice of how they prefer to view the popular series.”
Why 19 seasons, instead of all 30? From 2009 on, partway through The Simpsons’ 20th season, the show had already switched to the 16:9 aspect ratio — so those episodes should be fine already.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Warning! Warning! Danger Will Robinson!!

/Thousands of hacked Disney+ accounts are already for sale on hacking forums
Up for sale!

The speed at which hackers have mobilized to monetize Disney+ accounts is astounding. Accounts were put up for sale on hacking forums within hours after the service's launch.

As of this article's writing, hacking forums have been flooded with Disney+ accounts, with ads offering access to thousands of account credentials.

Prices vary from $3 per account to as much as $11 -- which, by the way, is more than what a legitimate Disney+ account costs from Disney, which is $7.

Below are screenshots that ZDNet took of various ads, along with screenshots we received from multiple sources that helped our investigations.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Malificent wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:25 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:14 pm

They'd have my money if they would bundle with the ad free version.
So I looked into this some more. If you sign up for Hulu with no ads, you can then use the same email you used for Hulu to sign up for the Disney+ package. Disney will then credit you $5.99 to your Hulu account each month. So you pay for them separately but you don't get overcharged.
Get the Disney bundle with Hulu (No Ads) or Live TV
If you’re an eligible new subscriber, you can get Hulu (No Ads) or Live TV with the Disney bundle. There are just a few things to keep in mind:

First, you need to sign up for Hulu (No Ads) or a Live TV plan directly through Hulu
After you’ve subscribed to your chosen Hulu plan, follow these steps to sign up for the bundle using the same email address
You’ll be billed separately for both subscriptions
As long as you keep your eligible Hulu account, Disney will give you a credit towards your Disney bundle subscription in the amount of $5.99/month — the value of the Hulu (ad-supported) plan included in the Disney bundle

Moving forward, if you wish to switch Hulu plans or add/remove any add-ons, you can do so from your Hulu Account page.

Get the Disney bundle with your eligible existing Hulu plan
If you already have Hulu and meet the eligibility requirements, you can get the bundle while maintaining your current Hulu subscription — no matter which plan you have. (Third-party billing limitations may apply).

There are a few things to keep in mind if you sign up for the bundle as an existing Hulu subscriber:

You’ll be billed separately by Disney+ for the Disney bundle
As long as you keep your eligible existing Hulu account, Disney will give you a credit towards your Disney bundle subscription in the amount of $5.99/month — the value of the Hulu (ad-supported) plan included in the Disney bundle; however, you’ll keep the Hulu plan you have

To get the Disney bundle as an eligible existing Hulu subscriber:

Visit disneyplus.com
Select Sign Up Now
Enter the same address associated with your Hulu account
Finish by entering your password and billing information

Moving forward, if you wish to switch Hulu plans or add/remove any add-ons, you can continue to do so as before — either on Hulu, if you’re billed directly through us, or via the third party you signed up through.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles