Disney+ Streaming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Re: Disney+ Streaming

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:36 am A list of stuff
The Rocketeer
Well, I had already purchased a digital copy of The Rocketeer with some Amazon credit I had, so that's not too exciting for me. Just another way to watch The Rocketeer.

I'm more curious what they're going to do with their various short subject cartoons...

Edit: Oh and Gizmodo had a more comprehensive list.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

holy crap on a platter, i had no idea Disney had such a deep vault of stupid and forgettable movies and shows
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:04 pm holy crap on a platter, i had no idea Disney had such a deep vault of stupid and forgettable movies and shows
Hey now, I grew up on those stupid and forgettable movies and shows.

Dang...I didn't see "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" on that list.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
disarm

Post by disarm »

All that content made available and still no "Song of the South"

While some may worry about racism, is it really bad enough to warrant completely ignoring its existence? It does have a couple classics songs that they're still happily using outside the film.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

disarm wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:30 pm All that content made available and still no "Song of the South"

While some may worry about racism, is it really bad enough to warrant completely ignoring its existence? It does have a couple classics songs that they're still happily using outside the film.
They’ll never show that in this climate.
Spoiler:
which I’m happy about
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Uncle Remus made me his bitch.

When the movie came out, I was a Cub Scout, ignorant of things such as racist overtones or even aware that the very organization I belonged to hated, HATED absolutely everything I stood for and held dear. But I digress. We had a recruitment drive at a local cinema that I think wound up lasting 4 weeks. We setup some sort of display in the lobby, and since my parents were leaders I wound up manning the display on most days. While this theater would eventually cleave itself into 16 shoeboxes, at the time there was but one screen. And that one screen was showing Song of the South. When the movie played, nothing was going on in the lobby so I'd sit in and watch the movie. The end result is Song of the South is by far my most-watched movie ever...even though I haven't seen it since I probably saw it 15 times when I was 9 or 10.

It's a big reason why I rarely watch a movie more than once and almost never more than once in the same decade. Except for James Bond movies for some reason.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:38 pm
disarm wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:30 pm All that content made available and still no "Song of the South"

They’ll never show that in this climate.
Spoiler:
which I’m happy about
I've never seen it. I think with the proper context, it could be useful to show it again.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Personally I've never seen it either and don't care to. Kind of like Birth of a Nation.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:40 pm Personally I've never seen it either and don't care to. Kind of like Birth of a Nation.
I guess i can understand that. Perhaps it is more important that i see it and have discussions about it to help recognize when modern versions happen.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:40 pm Personally I've never seen it either and don't care to. Kind of like Birth of a Nation.
It's one of those things that if you can put it in contemporary context, it might not seem so bad. For sure a new production can't get away with it, but the main issue with the movie was a stereotypical representation of a southern black main character.

On the outrage meter, I'd maybe put it on par with blackface clips of Al Jolson. Embarrassing to be sure in today's context, but not entirely without merit as a historical artifact that if nothing else highlights progress made (or not, in some well-publicized instances).
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

For anyone that is interested in seeing it...
Spoiler:
archive.org has it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I saw it when I was a kid. What I remember most is getting into a spat with my parents about getting something from the concession stand. They wouldn't let me but I brought my own money and could not understand why I wasn't allowed. I think it was a cookie or a brownie. Some baked good. I totally get it now and feel bad.

Anyway, I don't think it should be buried. We don't bury Mein Kampf or Hunter or the aforementioned Birth of a Nation.

OTOH, I totally get Disney not [re]releasing it and don't have a problem with that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

stessier wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:45 pm
I guess i can understand that. Perhaps it is more important that i see it and have discussions about it to help recognize when modern versions happen.
I think a movie like Selma would be better for that, but of course it's not a Disney movie so not part of their offerings.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Keep in mind, it was originally released in 1946 when the whole country was racist AF. White children being fed stories from a black authority figure could, I suppose, be considered some sort of rudimentary bridge building. I think it does have merit if viewed in the proper context, in this deplorable-ridden world though, that's not enough to avoid an unintentional shitstorm.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've got a bootleg copy on DVD.

I've got a weird relationship with the film (in hindsight) because it was one of the first Disney movies I remember seeing in the theater. Apparently it was re-released at some point in my childhood and my mom took me to see it.

I also had a huge treasury of Uncle Remus stories that I read so much the book was literally falling apart.

It wasn't until many years later that I understood the racism element - to me both the books and the movie were just like any other Disney cartoon - an entertaining adventure featuring talking animals. I've always been torn on whether it should be re-released, because I have an emotional attachment to it from a childhood perspective but completely understand why Disney wouldn't want to touch it with a 10-foot pole these days.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hentzau wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:19 pm
Jaymon wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:04 pm holy crap on a platter, i had no idea Disney had such a deep vault of stupid and forgettable movies and shows
Hey now, I grew up on those stupid and forgettable movies and shows.

Dang...I didn't see "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" on that list.
Does that star Mitt Romney? Or maybe George Romney?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

And hey, don't forget that Peter Pan (the animated film) is also racist AF.
Black Lives Matter.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

What about Charlie Chan?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:54 pm And hey, don't forget that Peter Pan (the animated film) is also racist AF.
I had no idea having only seen it as a kid. Then my daughter was in an elementary school production and I was helping her learn lines...and really questioning whether she should actually be learning the lines. Thankfully, times change.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just happened to pop into my podcast feed today and had an update from "You Must Remember This." It's a fantastic podcast about the dark secrets of old Hollywood. Turns out the upcoming season is going to feature a multi-part series on "Song of the South" and how the hell it ever got greenlit in the first place. Can't wait to get the full scoop.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:00 pm I just happened to pop into my podcast feed today and had an update from "You Must Remember This." It's a fantastic podcast about the dark secrets of old Hollywood. Turns out the upcoming season is going to feature a multi-part series on "Song of the South" and how the hell it ever got greenlit in the first place. Can't wait to get the full scoop.
Was just coming here to mention this. Really glad that YMRT is back.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Did this get posted? https://youtu.be/m0FRDaHnITI

It's from Disney and is a 3+ hour summary showing of all the movies coming. I and a friend will probably watch this today and/or tomorrow and wax lyrically :).
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LifeHacker
Linux PCs, Chromebooks, and some Android devices are incapable of meeting Disney’s stringent DRM requirements necessary for accessing Disney+ via web browsers.

Disney+ uses the “Widevine” DRM, which restricts access to content based on a security level between 1 (low) and 3 (high). Most streaming services only require devices meet level 1 security in order to watch (non-4K) content, but Disney+ is only accessible to devices that meet level 3. Linux, Chromebooks, and some older Android devices are only compatible with level 1, meaning all those devices are locked out of the service. Disney is aware of this issue and told Hansdegeode that the issue was being worked on back in September, but the error persists.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, they have just under a month to figure it out. I bet they do. I mean Netflix and Amazon did, right? And all the others?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:45 pm Well, they have just under a month to figure it out. I bet they do. I mean Netflix and Amazon did, right? And all the others?
I think Netflix is making some changes that will make some older devices stop working with them in December.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Punisher wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:02 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:45 pm Well, they have just under a month to figure it out. I bet they do. I mean Netflix and Amazon did, right? And all the others?
I think Netflix is making some changes that will make some older devices stop working with them in December.
My old Roku in the kitchen threw up a message last night that it would stop working Dec. 1st.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TheMix wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:05 pmMy old Roku in the kitchen threw up a message last night that it would stop working Dec. 1st.
Do you know the model? I have one from 2009 I just plugged in and I was rather amazed it still worked. I would also be surprised if service for it continues into 2020 only because it can barely navigate Netflix and Hulu.

EDIT: NM, just found an article.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Looks like mine is the last one that they listed, the XD.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

And shelters brace for the influx of purebread cocker spaniels in 12-18 months.

Looks like the kids will like it though.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I already have my cocker spaniel.

The Verge
Disney+ and ESPN+ will run an ad promoting the premium TV channel Starz, The Verge has learned.

Disney has agreed to run the ad in exchange for streaming rights to some of its own films, like Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which had previously been licensed out to Starz, according to a person familiar with the arrangement. The ad will appear on the page after a customer has finished signing up for Disney+ and ESPN+, based on photos seen by The Verge. The ad will appear on Disney+’s Android app and in browsers, the person said.

A Disney spokesperson confirmed that the ad is part of a revised licensing deal with Starz that was made in order to have certain titles available on Disney+ at launch. Customers will see a box prompting them to sign up for Starz, but there aren’t any ads within the actual Disney+ or ESPN+ service once they sign in.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cord Cutter News
While Disney+ has been heavily promoted and excitement has been building among Disney fans for months, Disney apparently didn’t know just how big this move to streaming would be for the company initially. That’s why they continued making licensing deals with Netflix until very recently.

CNET reported that details about licensing deals made before Disney+ was a fully-fledged idea haven’t been given, “but at least one of them will move popular movies from 2016 through 2018 off Disney Plus back onto Netflix in about six years.” After fulfilling licensing deals with Netflix, the content will likely return to Disney+. This means that starting in 2026 select Disney movies made between 2016 and 2018 will be moving back to Netflix and will be rotated in and out on Netflix.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:36 pm LifeHacker
Linux PCs, Chromebooks, and some Android devices are incapable of meeting Disney’s stringent DRM requirements necessary for accessing Disney+ via web browsers.

Disney+ uses the “Widevine” DRM, which restricts access to content based on a security level between 1 (low) and 3 (high). Most streaming services only require devices meet level 1 security in order to watch (non-4K) content, but Disney+ is only accessible to devices that meet level 3. Linux, Chromebooks, and some older Android devices are only compatible with level 1, meaning all those devices are locked out of the service. Disney is aware of this issue and told Hansdegeode that the issue was being worked on back in September, but the error persists.
Does anyone know any more about this? Or how to check if my device of choice is going to work?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Download the app and try it?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:59 pm Download the app and try it?
I don't want to subscribe until I know it will work. Is it enough proof to just be able to launch the app?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

‾\_(ツ)_/‾
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:03 pm ‾\_(ツ)_/‾
:P
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:03 pm
I don't want to subscribe until I know it will work. Is it enough proof to just be able to launch the app?
Send the device to me or buy me one just like it and I will test it for you. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:03 pm
Send the device to me or buy me one just like it and I will test it for you. :D
Alternatively, give me your username and password. :mrgreen:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Forbes
The official Marvel site and Star Wars site countdown timers reveal that Disney Plus launches in the United States, Canada and the Netherlands at the following times on November 12:

3 am PST
4 am MST
5 am CST
6 am EST