Montag

Re: Disney+ Streaming

Post by Montag »

No Star Wars Christmas special. Fail!
words
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Montag wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:29 pm No Star Wars Christmas special. Fail!
I'll ask my son to put on his Halloween Darth Vader costume and sing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" then post it to YouTube. Will that suffice?
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Why put a child through that trauma, when Youtube is already on it.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Max Peck wrote:Why put a child through that trauma, when Youtube is already on it.

"A good quality version..." But is there really such thing with this special?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Disney Plus streaming is hot garbage in my household.

Our internet connection is not always great, and sometimes the bandwidth really drops down for no reason. Netflix adapts to this by briefly pausing, then resuming playback at a lower resolution.

Disney Plus adapts to this by continuing to play audio, but reducing the video playback rate to approximately one frame every eight seconds. What idiot thought this was a good solution, I don't know. But it's very annoying.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I've had no problem with Disney+, but have had issues with my Hulu part of the bundle. Not sure if it's the service, or my specific tablet that seems to be causing the problem but lots of errors when I try to stream with it. Haven't gotten around to testing and seeing how it is on the TV in comparison yet.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Not to be a jerk but to make to a point that it's not all bad, I watched Empire Strikes Back in 4K HDR last night...loaded quickly and looked incredible. I've had zero problems with the software or streaming quality so far.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Looks like it might just be a problem with their PS4 app, which is what we use for streaming.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:06 am Looks like it might just be a problem with their PS4 app, which is what we use for streaming.
I’m using a PS4 for this as well, super.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I am liking the service way more than expected. I full anticipated cancelling this right after watching the Last Mandolorian episode. I didn't think it was going to be worth it until the additional SW and Marvel shows launched. I stand corrected. I am presently trying to plow through the SW catalog of movies prior to the new one coming out, my wife is catching up on all the Marvel movies she has missed the last decade, Daughter is enjoying the Disney sitcoms. I haven't even looked at what else is on there past the above and NatGeo catalog(which is awesome!). I find the performance to be fantastic and on par with Netflix 4k streaming if not a little snappier while navigating. I am using the App through Webos on my LG. WebOS rocks!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm enjoying getting access to Disney Channel and Disney XD shows I hadn't previously been able to try. The new version of Duck Tales is surprisingly fantastic -- both the kids and the wife & I are really loving it so far.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:12 pm Why put a child through that trauma, when Youtube is already on it.

Even though I know the special was bad, I am still amazed when I see parts of it on YouTube at just how bad it was. I honestly don't think it could be worse. Anything you add to make it worse would only make it better.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm sure the shine will wear off at some point, but I walk around my house and all of my TVs are streaming Disney+.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'll get this eventually. Right now the only content that they have that I want is The Mandalorian. My kids are a little too young for the Marvel stuff, which I've seen, and they have all the Disney movies they want.

So one day.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Mandalorian is being watched by my whole family. My wife does eventually want to watch all the Marvel movies that she's missed. And the kids haven't seen most of them, so they'll be in on that too. We've all seen the Star Wars movies, but I will probably watch Clone Wars and Rebels which I missed the first time around. The kids are also watching all the Disney channel tween shows that were slightly before their time.

So yeah... we're getting more use out of it than I expected. We're in for now. At least until they start jacking up the price.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My kids have been watching Phineas and Ferb. I'm waiting for more episodes of the Mandalorian to stack up before I jump in on that. Otherwise, just waiting for other originals of interest. I've pre-paid three years at a discount I don't remember so I am in it for the long haul.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Baroquen wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 pm

So yeah... we're getting more use out of it than I expected. We're in for now. At least until they start jacking up the price.
I don't expect that they will jack up the price in the first two years. They aren't looking to bombard users with new content all the time. I think if they have a few exclusive series and exclusives on their films it will be enough of a trickle to keep people in at $7/month while not incurring huge content acquisition costs like Netflix.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

We watch Raven's Home on Disney channel, so we went to check if maybe the new episodes were on the app before they were being put on live tv. Nope, no only that, but the app is a full season behind. I was surprised by that, I assumed it would be at least up to date with current shows.

Thats the only disney show we are watching in the current season, so I don't have any others to check against.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaymon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 am We watch Raven's Home on Disney channel, so we went to check if maybe the new episodes were on the app before they were being put on live tv. Nope, no only that, but the app is a full season behind. I was surprised by that, I assumed it would be at least up to date with current shows.

Thats the only disney show we are watching in the current season, so I don't have any others to check against.
The Simpsons are behind a season I believe. I think that's going to be the norm.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Being used to Netflix and Hulu, I just assumed that would be the case.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

msteelers wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:29 am
Jaymon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 am We watch Raven's Home on Disney channel, so we went to check if maybe the new episodes were on the app before they were being put on live tv. Nope, no only that, but the app is a full season behind. I was surprised by that, I assumed it would be at least up to date with current shows.

The Simpsons are behind a season I believe. I think that's going to be the norm.
There are a lot of contracts they need to unwind or let run out. Not sure if the network and cable serieses are part of that or not.

"Fortunately" we have YTTV as well so all that vapid Disney Channel oatmeal is available day one. :grund:
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:41 am "Fortunately" we have YTTV as well
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:41 am vapid Disney Channel oatmeal :grund:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Screen Rant
Diego Luna's Cassian Andor was first introduced in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and now the actor will return for his own Disney+ series, along with his trusty companion, K-2SO (Alan Tudyk). ... [T]he series will be a prequel that focuses on their adventures fighting for the Rebellion. It is expected to release sometime in 2020 or possibly early 2021, with director Tony Gilroy, who helmed reshoots for Rogue One, acting as showrunner.
The untitled Obi-Wan TV show will take place eight years after Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (around the time of Solo: A Star Wars Story) and be helmed by Deborah Chow and Hossein Amini, who will direct and write, respectively.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I wasn't too interested in a show about Cassian, but I'll watch for K-2SO. Likewise, I'll give the Obi-Wan show a chance, because I like Ewan McGregor. But in both cases, we know the ultimate fate of those characters. They better give us some interesting supporting characters where actual worthwhile life events can happen to them.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I am stoked for all things Star Wars after The Madolorian. I mean I could watch Ewan McGregor make sandwiches for an hour and be entertained so more Obi-Wan is right up my alley.

I am very surprised/pleased with how much 4k content is on D+. It seems to be way more than Netflix, even for movies that were on both platforms (Marvel stuff). I keep thinking i am going to cancel this any day now but we are watching it. Biggest issue is that we only have 1 smart TV and it is my Man cave. Comcast doesn't have a D+ app yet so presently it's my room only. I did get the daughter a tV for her room for Christmas we just haven't hooked it up yet. I suppose that will mean I can go ahead and pay for a year or 2 up front :) F you Disney! :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

morlac wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:30 am I am stoked for all things Star Wars after The Madolorian. I mean I could watch Ewan McGregor make sandwiches for an hour and be entertained so more Obi-Wan is right up my alley.
Low Carb Cooking with Obi Wan Ketosis

Asian Cuisine with Obi Wok Kenobi

Kebabs on a Light Saber: Kenobi Cooks

May the Fork Be with You: Dining with a Jedi
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

HR
Disney+ and Lucasfilm’s Star Wars series centered on Obi-Wan Kenobi has been put on hold as the companies attempt a retooling, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. The effort, in which Ewan McGregor is set to reprise his role of the famed Jedi Knight, was in the throes of preproduction.
Sources tell THR that the scripts — only two were written — and story became an issue and that the entire package has been jettisoned. Lucasfilm is now on the hunt for a new writer to pen the series. At the same time, sources say the project is being reconfigured from six episodes to four.

It is unclear when the show will ramp up again, although insiders stress that McGregor remains attached to star and Chow remains on as director. Disney had no comment.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

28.6M subscribers as of Monday. That's up from 26.5M at the end of December. So no post-Mando cliff yet.

Bummed that I missed the ASM again this year. :cry:

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:10 pm Bummed that I missed the ASM again this year. :cry:
Ancient Sierra Mist?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:18 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:10 pm Bummed that I missed the ASM again this year. :cry:
Ancient Sierra Mist?
Annual Shareholders Meeting? Then again, the next one for Disney's on March 11, 2020:
TheWaltDisneyCompany.com wrote:DISNEY ANNUAL MEETING OF SHAREHOLDERS
Q: When and where will the 2020 Annual Meeting of Shareholders be held?

A: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 10 a.m. at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, can't go, it's in Raleigh and at a bad time.

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

While Disney has a large store of quality content, most of it doesn't appeal to our family. Having watched The Mandalorian and all the Marvel movies they have on tap, there wasn't much reason to continue.

Cancelled.

We may come back to Disney if they get a few things rolling that are a little more adult-oriented.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Paingod wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:47 am While Disney has a large store of quality content, most of it doesn't appeal to our family. Having watched The Mandalorian and all the Marvel movies they have on tap, there wasn't much reason to continue.

Cancelled.

We may come back to Disney if they get a few things rolling that are a little more adult-oriented.
You want Hulu. Disney is going to stay PG and lower.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:44 am
Paingod wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:47 am While Disney has a large store of quality content, most of it doesn't appeal to our family. Having watched The Mandalorian and all the Marvel movies they have on tap, there wasn't much reason to continue.

Cancelled.

I am now imagining the impact of PG's wife watching The Handmaid's Tale.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:44 am

Cancelled.

Or Shudder
Spoiler:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:01 am Or Shudder
Spoiler:
I thought I had seen Teeth, but I guess I hadn't at all.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:10 am I thought I had seen Teeth, but I guess I hadn't at all.
It's from Channel Zero: Candle Cove.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Paingod wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:10 am I thought I had seen Teeth, but I guess I hadn't at all.
Is that the one with the carnivorous snatch?
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:26 pm
Is that the one with the carnivorous snatch?
Eloquent, but yes.
Black Lives Matter