Wildfires

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: Wildfires

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:23 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:00 pm
got a transcript of the allegation? ABC and video always screw up my browser.
The video's hosted on Youtube and not ABC, so it ought not screw anything up with your browser (unless your browser cannot play Youtube videos).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reuters
California’s bankrupt power producer PG&E Corp (PCG.N) said on Friday it had reached a $13.5 billion settlement with victims of some of most devastating wildfires in the state’s modern history.

The agreement helps smooth the way for the beleaguered company to emerge from bankruptcy. It filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, citing potential liabilities in excess of $30 billion from wildfires in 2017 and 2018 linked to its equipment.
The agreed settlement is subject to a number of conditions and requires confirmation by the United States Bankruptcy Court, the company said.

It faces a tight deadline as it needs to exit bankruptcy by June 30, 2020 to participate in a state-backed wildfire fund that would help reduce the threat to utilities from wildfires.
PG&E had previously reached a $1 billion settlement with cities, counties and other public entities and an $11 billion agreement with insurance carriers related to the wildfires.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
More than 1 billion animals are now thought to have been killed by the record-breaking wildfires in Australia, according to a prominent scientist whose new estimate is more than double what he predicted mere weeks ago.

Chris Dickman, a professor of ecology at the University of Sydney, revised his estimate of 480 million animals affected by the fires, saying Wednesday that more than 800 million animals have likely been killed in the Australian state of New South Wales alone. That means the number of animals affected nationally likely exceeds 1 billion, he added.

The updated figure includes animals killed directly by the fires and those that have already died by indirect causes, such as starvation, dehydration or habitat loss. The estimate includes mammals, birds and reptiles, but does not include frogs, insects and other invertebrates.
More than 32,000 square miles of land have been scorched by the fires, and more than 120 blazes are still active across New South Wales and its neighboring state of Victoria. Though rain brought some much-needed relief early this week, forecasts are calling for dry conditions and higher temperatures Thursday, which could increase the fire risk in these states.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I saw some random footage of the nightmare it is down there and I felt an incredible sadness for the affected animals. There was some footage I'd seen of a water bottle being used to help a koala bear with a burned nose/face. It's awful to think of the people, but something about all those animals depresses me beyond words.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:02 pm I saw some random footage of the nightmare it is down there and I felt an incredible sadness for the affected animals. There was some footage I'd seen of a water bottle being used to help a koala bear with a burned nose/face. It's awful to think of the people, but something about all those animals depresses me beyond words.
It's hellish.

Some people have died, which is awful, but most humans at risk benefit from information and transportation and protection in ways that animals can't. But an animal's pain and suffering means as much to it as ours does to us.

In terms of pure corporeal suffering, this disaster is literally inconceivable.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not talked about much here

https://www.businessinsider.com/austral ... ion-2020-1
About 70% of Australia's 3 million square miles of land is covered by a layer of gray-and-brown smoke. According to NASA, the smoke had already traveled halfway around the planet by January 8, "turning the skies hazy and causing colorful sunrises and sunsets" in South America.

The agency expects the smoke to make a full circuit of the globe and return to Australia.

As of last week, the wildfires — some of the worst in Australia's history — had burned 25 million acres, claimed the lives of 27 people, and destroyed 2,000 homes. A billion animals are feared dead.
:(

Hope you and yours remain safe freelunch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Maybe wildfire winter will save the planet.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:52 pm Not talked about much here

https://www.businessinsider.com/austral ... ion-2020-1
About 70% of Australia's 3 million square miles of land is covered by a layer of gray-and-brown smoke. According to NASA, the smoke had already traveled halfway around the planet by January 8, "turning the skies hazy and causing colorful sunrises and sunsets" in South America.

The agency expects the smoke to make a full circuit of the globe and return to Australia.

As of last week, the wildfires — some of the worst in Australia's history — had burned 25 million acres, claimed the lives of 27 people, and destroyed 2,000 homes. A billion animals are feared dead.
:(

Hope you and yours remain safe freelunch
Living in Canberra surrounded by fire we have had a horribe new years new years. The smoke has veen terrible and the closest fire is 30km away. Truly horrible not only for the people who lost houses and lives (2176 houses in nsw alone with hundreds of others in Qld,Vic and WA/SA) but the thousands of businesses burnt out or loss of trade during o ur summer holidays. Impacts will be experienced 10 years down the track.

We have had our go bags packed and emergency plans in place. Finally got some rain today, was about 10mm. Need another 40mm morr to even start impacting the mega blazes. Its only January. #prayforaustralia
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I keep hoping the news is exaggerating. Be safe. Living in a temperate swamp, I can't imagine and, in fact, don't want to.
Stefan Stirzaker

Update. Fires on the outskirts of my city today. Thankfully under control now.

Unfortunately an American c130 water bomber crashed killing 3 Americans on board while fighting fires about 60km from my home. RIP you amazing people and thanks
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:crying-yellow:

CBS News
It was operated by a Canadian company, Coulson Aviation. Coulson's Portland, Oregon branch said in a statement that one of its Lockheed C-130s was lost after it left Richmond in New South Wales with retardant for a firebombing mission. It said the damage was "extensive" but had few other details. Coulson said it would send a team to the crash site.
:flags-australia: :flags-usa: :flags-canada:
Stefan Stirzaker

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Oh man. Best wishes and stay safe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

gbasden wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 pm Oh man. Best wishes and stay safe!
+1
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My heart aches for you and your nation.
Stefan Stirzaker

Thanks All ,

Crunch day tomorrow. This is the expected spread of the fire tomorrow.
Circled Red is roughly my house.

Tonight will be hard and 42C tomorrow temps.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That's 107 in ignorant American. :( May heavy rains come your way.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Holy Crap! Be safe, and let us know if we can help in anyway....

Also, on the lighter side, do you have a pet Koala, or Kangaroo?

I only spent a week in Australia, in the Perth area when I was in the US Navy in the 90's, but I loved what I saw, and it was actually the only country I ever was in where I got hit on by a women because of my accent, which she described as cute. I am from Ohio, so that was a new one for me. <shrug>

Again - Please be safe!
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

RMC wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:07 am Holy Crap! Be safe, and let us know if we can help in anyway....
Yes this! And please keep us up to date on how things go!
Stefan Stirzaker

Thanks all. Survived the day. Very hot but higher than expected humidity helped keep tge fires down. Very strong winds pushed in SE and some roads were cut and houses lost. Chopper and planes all day. Saw the 737s and DC10 droppung retardant lines. More tomorrow in terms of prevention but high winds again. Will keep you updateda.a

RmC no koala or kangaroo pets. Too dangerous lol. But yeah noo e here is good with US accents. Ladies seem to l o ve em

And rain? Medium soaking rain please. Last week we had 1000s of cars written off due to softball hail (google canberra hail damage 2020)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:18 am Thanks all. Survived the day. Very hot but higher than expected humidity helped keep tge fires down. Very strong winds pushed in SE and some roads were cut and houses lost. Chopper and planes all day. Saw the 737s and DC10 droppung retardant lines. More tomorrow in terms of prevention but high winds again. Will keep you updateda.a

RmC no koala or kangaroo pets. Too dangerous lol. But yeah noo e here is good with US accents. Ladies seem to l o ve em

And rain? Medium soaking rain please. Last week we had 1000s of cars written off due to softball hail (google canberra hail damage 2020)
Glad to hear. Bummer on the pets. :)

Also, those high winds have to be a blessing and a curse, but hope it all keeps going your way!
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MSNBC
On Tuesday, PG&E Corp. will plead guilty 84 separate times to involuntary manslaughter -- the deadliest corporate crime in U.S. history.

That admission in a California courtroom will mark the end of one portion of the power company’s legal travails after its equipment sparked the largest wildfire in state history, consuming the town of Paradise. Many who lost loved ones or homes to the 2018 conflagration may not find much comfort in the utility paying a $4 million fine.
The plea is unparalleled for a publicly traded company. Over a period of about 40 years that prosecutors in the U.S. have tried to charge companies for killing people -- mostly without success -- the closest comparison is BP Plc’s manslaughter plea after 11 workers were killed in the 2010 Deepwater Horizon explosion.
The utility already has agreed to settle claims from insurers, individual fire victims and local government agencies for more than $25 billion. It also received a $1.9 billion penalty from the California Public Utilities Commission. The criminal case is the company’s last unfinished business as it races to exit from bankruptcy in the wake of a series of wildfires in recent years.

PG&E calls the plea agreement “an important step in taking responsibility for the past and working to create a better future for all concerned.”
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Contreras Fire explodes to nearly 11,500 acres; Kitt Peak evacuated

The loss of Kitt Peak observatories would be catastrophic for the astronomical community.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Texas must not be doing good forest management...
A raging wildfire that tore across the Texas Panhandle this week has now become the largest in state history, and deteriorating conditions are expected to continue in the state.

A string of wildfires has blown through the Lone Star State in recent days, prompting evacuations and the destruction of homes and buildings. Texas A&M Forest Service reported Thursday that the largest fire, the Smoke House Creek Fire, has grown to an estimated 1,075,000 acres in Hutchinson County and is only 3 percent contained.

It has merged with another fire, named the 687 Reamer Fire, the forest service said. Some of the fires have also spread into Oklahoma.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

It's the tumbleweeds :lol:

Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Also known as prickly Russian thistle.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

X and sites are saying Biden has already sent aid and Abbott hasn't even appeared on tv.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"