Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Bad news and more bad news and a ray of hope.

Post by Zarathud »

Drazzil wrote:Nods. I need to find a cat charity.
Considering that you have an internet connection, you could find one in minutes.

Pick up the phone, and call to volunteer.

They’re not leaving the cats alone on Sunday. If they don’t pick up, call again on Monday.

Reward yourself with a cat only after you’ve received your first paycheck.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Zarathud wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:53 pm
Considering that you have an internet connection, you could find one in minutes.

They’re not leaving the cats alone on Sunday. If they don’t pick up, call again on Monday.

No more cats!!! Two is enough for my tiny studio apt. Bootsie is doing good. The new antiinflammatory the vet gave her. Its been FOUR days since she's gone anywhere she shouldnt. I thought I was going to have to give her the needle instead of a new treatment.

Considering she fell asleep on my back five days ago and I woke up to a warm trickle of piss headed south. I had to keep her off me for a while after that. She left. I had to change, shower and strip the bed.

The young cat and the old cat tolerate eachother. As boots gets older and more healthy with this treatment I got her on. she SORT of plays with the young male just a bit When she's had enough, she spits and hisses at him and the games are over.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Have you tried any of those services like Monster Jobs or Indeed? Can't hurt to try. Also temp services may get you a temp gig that could lead to something long term.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:16 am Have you tried any of those services like Monster Jobs or Indeed? Can't hurt to try. Also temp services may get you a temp gig that could lead to something long term.
I need to redo a monster jobs acct. I'm working within indeed atm.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:16 am Have you tried any of those services like Monster Jobs or Indeed? Can't hurt to try. Also temp services may get you a temp gig that could lead to something long term.
I'm sure this has been recommended many time over the past decade. The temp gig has been the most effective couch-to-job method in my career -- I had two temp gigs go perm (including my current, which is entering it's 10th year) and another get extended from 2 weeks to 2 years.
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:00 pm
I'm sure this has been recommended many time over the past decade. The temp gig has been the most effective couch-to-job method in my career -- I had two temp gigs go perm (including my current, which is entering it's 10th year) and another get extended from 2 weeks to 2 years.
Yeah I almost went through signing up for one. I kinda ghosted the recruiter halfway thru the process. Stupid and self sabotaging. She said she had a marketing position open too. I froze up and didn't finish the orientation material in time.

**facepalm**

I am an unmotivated idiot.

Got out to my AA meeting again. Everyone saw me and knew where I was. They were like "Where you been?" and I was like "I f--king relapsed!" and everyone was real happy to see me. Got another 24 hour chip.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There's really no downside to doing the temp gig thing. At worst, you have something to add to your resume, and if you've done well you have a recruiter who is motivated to find you more work. Once I did a 2 week project, the client was Bearingpoint. A few weeks later I got to spend a week at 4th of July in Washington, DC doing another job for them. At best, you get hired on (which happened to me several times). The thing is, you can't fuck with the people who might help you. Nobody has time to deal with that shit...by proving you are unreliable from the get-go, you can't expect any decent outcomes.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:36 pmThere's really no downside to doing the temp gig thing.
You need to be careful of the gig.

When I was unemployed after being fired without warning or cause (the best the IT Director could say was that I wasn't "the one" he was looking for despite performing well for him), I was desperate for work and took on a role as a "subcontractor" to someone who needed a full time assistant but wasn't sure if they had enough work for a full time hire. I worked with him for a few months before the work dried up and he let me go. When I went back to Unemployment, they told me that because I had been "Self Employed" I was no longer eligible for unemployment benefits. I plead with the Unemployment agent working my case and explained that I wasn't trying to be self-employed, but rather gainfully employed, and the only opportunity available at the time was that one. The agent appreciated that I was trying to get off the state teat and investigated my case. He determined that because of the circumstance, I wasn't really a subcontractor and dinged the guy who hired and dumped me to pay for my unemployment. I feel like I lucked out; being ineligible for Unemployment would have destroyed me and left me homeless.
Drazzil wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:17 pmI am an unmotivated idiot.
Stop talking about it and fix it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:03 am
When I was unemployed after being fired without warning or cause (the best the IT Director could say was that I wasn't "the one" he was looking for despite performing well for him), I was desperate for work and took on a role as a "subcontractor" to someone who needed a full time assistant but wasn't sure if they had enough work for a full time hire. I worked with him for a few months before the work dried up and he let me go. When I went back to Unemployment, they told me that because I had been "Self Employed" I was no longer eligible for unemployment benefits. I plead with the Unemployment agent working my case and explained that I wasn't trying to be self-employed, but rather gainfully employed, and the only opportunity available at the time was that one. The agent appreciated that I was trying to get off the state teat and investigated my case. He determined that because of the circumstance, I wasn't really a subcontractor and dinged the guy who hired and dumped me to pay for my unemployment. I feel like I lucked out; being ineligible for Unemployment would have destroyed me and left me homeless.
The state administers unemployment programs, they don't pay for them -- employers do as a percentage of payroll tax. If you're going through a temp agency, they will be paying unemployment tax. The percentage a business pays is dependent on how often a company's employees seek unemployment (called Experience Rating). Companies with good experience ratings are motivated to keep them that way and are generally careful about due process when terminating someone for cause and perhaps challenging a claim in arbitration (I won one of those against a former employer who tried that). In any case, you weren't on "the state's teat", you were sticking it to the company who fired you -- probably a more satisfying perspective.

Now, if you contract directly with an employer without an agency to handle things such as taxes, then it's on you to make sure you pay all of the taxes an agency may pay on your behalf. I think in this case unemployment insurance is voluntary, but you can't claim benefits if you don't pay in, as you discovered. When I worked temp gigs during periods of unemployment I would not receive the UI check for weeks that I exceeded the benefit amount. Those weeks do not count against the weeks you can receive benefit though.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:26 pm
Roman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:21 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:11 pm
Roman wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:01 pm Took an executive coaching class this year.

Most important thing we were taught: You can't force anyone to do something. They have to want it (change etc)
No matter how good a coach or manager you are if they don't want it no amount of coaching/advice will make that happen.
At Cingular, it was always listed as a will vs. skill issues. If someone lacks the skills, you work with them and train them to gain or improve the skills. If it's a will issue, you attempt to find a way to change it or start generating paperwork.
Yup. Back in May I finally pulled the trigger and generated the paperwork for someone who I tried in vain to help. Zero will = %100 termination. Wasn't easy but my team was skilled enough to fill the 'void' generated. Been smooth sailing ever since.
Cingulars still around?
I know it's not at all relevant to the main point of the thread, but no they're not. Cingular was a joint effort between AT&T and Bell South. When we bought Bell South, we just rebranded Cingular as AT&T.

Back to your regularly scheduled drama.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Technically, you are Southwestern Bell wearing AT&T’s face as a mask.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Technically I'm Ameritech being absorbed by the SWBT Borg.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fair enough.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Progress has been made!

Post by Drazzil »

I went down to workforce to sign up for resume help to put together a new resume. Voc rehab (DoR in California) is in full poessession of the records they need to get together to make a decision shortly. I have a resume writing class tomorrow @ workforce 5 mi away.

I'm going to sign up for multiple job clubs tomorrow(each workforce has their own), while I'm there.
MHS

Post by MHS »

It’s a step but please know, as someone who worked at a Workforce Center for three years, they aren’t there to get you a job. They are there to try to assist you and provide tools to assist you in getting a job. Too many unmotivated idiots show up and put zero work in, expecting that the WF center will just magically hand them that middle management position they know they deserve. It’s a resource, not a miracle worker.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You said what I was trying to come up with. No one cares more about getting Drazzil a job than Drazzil. Don't wait for someone else to craft a resume or coach you on interviewing or do whatever. Use what you have right.now. and look for work. These people / groups / job fairs should be supplementing your job search effort. They should not be the entirety of it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:03 pm You said what I was trying to come up with. No one cares more about getting Drazzil a job than Drazzil. Don't wait for someone else to craft a resume or coach you on interviewing or do whatever. Use what you have right.now. and look for work. These people / groups / job fairs should be supplementing your job search effort. They should not be the entirety of it.
I just got refocused on this a few days ago. Updated my info on indeed and monster so that employers can reach me if they want to.

I leaned a few things that were brand new to me today.

1. "Objectives" in traditional resumes are out. Apparently HR people are supposed to know that your objective is their job.

2. Full addresses should not be used because employers will give preference to people closer to their locale.

3. HR people apparently select against Microsoft word templates. Resumes using MS templates are "thrown away" often. Also when resumes are scanned "key words" can be cut off.

I have an interview seminar tomorrow to brush up on the familiar.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

MHS wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:59 pm It’s a step but please know, as someone who worked at a Workforce Center for three years, they aren’t there to get you a job. They are there to try to assist you and provide tools to assist you in getting a job. Too many unmotivated idiots show up and put zero work in, expecting that the WF center will just magically hand them that middle management position they know they deserve. It’s a resource, not a miracle worker.
Thanks for the advice MHS! Hope to see more of you in my threads. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:08 pm Updated my info on indeed and monster so that employers can reach me if they want to.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:08 pm I leaned a few things that were brand new to me today.

1. "Objectives" in traditional resumes are out. Apparently HR people are supposed to know that your objective is their job.

2. Full addresses should not be used because employers will give preference to people closer to their locale.

3. HR people apparently select against Microsoft word templates. Resumes using MS templates are "thrown away" often. Also when resumes are scanned "key words" can be cut off.
Numbers 1 and 2 are news to me, too. Not surprising, I suppose; I've been self-employed for 15 years now and don't even have a resume anymore. Now that I'm old enough to claim Social Security and have a successful tiny business to see me thru retirement, I'll never need a job again. As for No. 3, I've never used a template, although I used to copy designs that I liked. I'd think that you'd want to stuff a marketing resume with as many social and electronic media keywords as you can truthfully do...but I know even less about all that.
MHS

Post by MHS »

I was telling people #1 20 years ago. They know your objective, to get the job. And they don’t care what YOU want or need, they need to know how you’ll give them what THEY need.

The best piece of advice I can give regarding your resume is to have a basic resume, but absolutely, 100% tailor it for every single job, using the terminology the job listing uses. For example, I pulled this “requirement” off a listing for a trainer on Indeed: “Ability to work closely with project leadership, customer leadership, and subject matter experts to ensure training is appropriately structured to satisfy a broad range of training audience requirements.”

So, I would make sure that in my current job description, I would say something like “Designed training curricula for a wide range of client needs, based on broad experience and client leader feedback involving close interaction with project managers and subject experts.” Obviously, you can’t crib their whole requirements section but pick some of the more obviously important needs and load those up.

People will literally hand you what they want, you just have to use it. Tailor every single resume. Make sure the cover letter is even more tailored.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And then prepare to send it off and treat it as if it went into the void, never to be seen or heard from again.

Then start on the next one.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:21 pm And then prepare to send it off and treat it as if it went into the void, never to be seen or heard from again.

Then start on the next one.
Yes. Job hunting should be treated like it IS your job until you have one. 5-6 hours per day looking at listings, sending resumes, reaching out to network, whatever it takes. It’s a numbers game.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:15 pm
Drazzil wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:08 pm Updated my info on indeed and monster so that employers can reach me if they want to.
I know I need to put more applications in, just thought I would get my resume up to snuff first.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:34 amI know I need to put more applications in, just thought I would get my resume up to snuff first.
Which begs the question: "Why the hell wasn't this step 1 months ago?"

I'm employed, and I keep my resume polished on the regular. I never know when a good job will pop up in a random search and catch my eye.

My resume is a heavily modified MSWord template. It's pretty dense, outlines a lot of the tech I've worked with and my accomplishments across jobs.
It sticks to two pages. I don't go out of my way to tailor it for each job, though, as every place I apply to is using pretty much the same terminology. I don't feel like my resume is the reason I don't get interviewed.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I've had recruiters tell me that for tech resumes, what you know is more important than most of the contrived bullshit normally contained in resumes. Mine is pretty simple...I haven't updated it in years, last time though I believe it ran 4 pages covering all significant tech jobs I've had and what I did at those jobs. I have over the years dropped the more distant jobs that were almost entirely involved with now-obsolete technologies.
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:20 amI don't go out of my way to tailor it for each job, though, as every place I apply to is using pretty much the same terminology. I don't feel like my resume is the reason I don't get interviewed.
Tech jobs are going to be different, but jobs like Drazzil will be applying for are looking more for specific soft skills than for tech skills that will be standardized across most jobs.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:20 am
Drazzil wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:34 amI know I need to put more applications in, just thought I would get my resume up to snuff first.
Cats
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:11 pm
Cats
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Because I'm a lazy self sabotaging idiot with severe depression and anxiety issues and I was worried about entirely the wrong things?

Because procrastination until things are too late is a specialty of mine? Because I was busy getting loaded on beer and weed pens?

Any of the above will do.

Mea Culpa.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I really don't deserve a wonderful patient group of people who tell me things over and over for as long as it takes to sink in (sometimes for years!)

So keep it coming in, dogpile and critique, just keep the good advice rolling in too.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Interview on tuesday, I need a resume objective

Post by Drazzil »

I have an interview with PMDEN members (mostly staffing agency recruiters but some private folks) looking to increase their inclusion profile. I need to come up with a three minute spiel about my skills and what I can bring to a company. I have that settled but they have asked for an objective and all I can think of is "To find a job that uses my education"

There has to be a better way of saying this though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is this for a specific industry or job position? Objective statements (generally) are a dated concept but you can add something that fulfills that requirement if you know exactly the industry or job position you're applying / interviewing for. Really, what you want to say is how your specific knowledge, skills and experience make you a fit to the position you're interviewing for.

SEE: here
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

asked my friend about PDX-area charities - she says:

"Feral Cat Coalition in Oregon is a fabulous high volume spay and neuter clinic. They always need volunteers at the clinic, and trapping. Otherwise House of Dreams, Cat Adoption Team, and Pixie Project are all great cat rescues."

https://www.feralcats.com/
http://www.kittydreams.org/
https://catadoptionteam.org/
https://www.pixieproject.org/ (Pixie Project also handles dog adoptions)

she also said she'd be glad to hear should you start work at one of these organizations to 'help the kits'.
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:20 pm

asked my friend about PDX-area charities - she says:

"Feral Cat Coalition in Oregon is a fabulous high volume spay and neuter clinic. They always need volunteers at the clinic, and trapping. Otherwise House of Dreams, Cat Adoption Team, and Pixie Project are all great cat rescues."

https://www.feralcats.com/
http://www.kittydreams.org/
https://catadoptionteam.org/
https://www.pixieproject.org/ (Pixie Project also handles dog adoptions)
I suggest that if you're looking to do volunteer work, you find something that's at least vaguely related to what you want to do, and that will improve your skills. For example, offer to do marketing for one of those cat rescues.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

“My objective is to leverage my education and experience to tackle new challenges. I want to help my next employer be the best that they can be, and learn from them how best to do that.”
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:27 pm I've had recruiters tell me that for tech resumes, what you know is more important than most of the contrived bullshit normally contained in resumes. Mine is pretty simple...I haven't updated it in years, last time though I believe it ran 4 pages covering all significant tech jobs I've had and what I did at those jobs. I have over the years dropped the more distant jobs that were almost entirely involved with now-obsolete technologies.
I haven't dropped any jobs, but the more distant ones are down to a single line. I think it's still important to show that I've been working in the field for x years, right?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:09 pm “My objective is to leverage my education and experience to tackle new challenges. I want to help my next employer be the best that they can be, and learn from them how best to do that.”
That's good for a generic line. You always want to answer any question with "what I can do for you," never with "what you can do for me."
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gbasden wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:12 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:27 pm I've had recruiters tell me that for tech resumes, what you know is more important than most of the contrived bullshit normally contained in resumes. Mine is pretty simple...I haven't updated it in years, last time though I believe it ran 4 pages covering all significant tech jobs I've had and what I did at those jobs. I have over the years dropped the more distant jobs that were almost entirely involved with now-obsolete technologies.
I haven't dropped any jobs, but the more distant ones are down to a single line. I think it's still important to show that I've been working in the field for x years, right?
Yeah, but as those years close in on triple digits...

In my 20''s during the height of Reaganomics Double Digit Unemployment (tm), I was compelled to take a job working for a department store restaurant. Eventually I rose to manager and delivered the first profit they had in over 20 years (the restaurant, not the store). I last invoked that job when interviewing for my first IT management job. The 2 years I spent doing payroll tax accounting for Follett after the 6 years at the restaurant is just irrelevant. I did "computerize" a lot of manual records at the time, but in this day and age, it's hardly worth a mention as manual spreadsheets and manual ledger accounting is largely extinct.

I think my resume goes back about 20 years, including a few one-liners. I think it does, however, still include my first true IT job with a small company that at the time was co-owned by the father of a former classmate. This job came about as a result from a conversation had at my 10 year high school reunion, I was working for Follett at the time. Come to think of it, that was probably 25 years ago. Anyone remember Arcnet? That's what I did at that job. :D
Black Lives Matter