Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Re: Drazzil Mega Thread: Finally got things turned around

Post by Drazzil »

That said I can safely say five or six hundred is. (not disposable but unlikely 2bm. So if a pc deal comes up, or the chance to build one on the insane comes up, lmk guys.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The way you should be looking at it isn't, "How much will $600 less hurt me now?", but "How much will $600 less hurt me when the rest is gone and I'm still looking for work?"
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:47 pm The way you should be looking at it isn't, "How much will $600 less hurt me now?", but "How much will $600 less hurt me when the rest is gone and I'm still looking for work?"
That'd take years given apt and food and electricity is paid for. Last place I applied for was "really enthustiac" about my app till I told them I was looking for 18 an hour at minimum. Of course they were thrilled as shit to meet a guy who knew how to do receiving in a restaruant setting. Knew how to store food even knew warehouse type stuff. I was actually lowballing them for the skills they wanted.

They will find *someone* I'm sure.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:08 pm Last place I applied for was "really enthustiac" about my app till I told them I was looking for 18 an hour at minimum.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:08 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:47 pm The way you should be looking at it isn't, "How much will $600 less hurt me now?", but "How much will $600 less hurt me when the rest is gone and I'm still looking for work?"
That'd take years given apt and food and electricity is paid for. Last place I applied for was "really enthustiac" about my app till I told them I was looking for 18 an hour at minimum. Of course they were thrilled as shit to meet a guy who knew how to do receiving in a restaruant setting. Knew how to store food even knew warehouse type stuff. I was actually lowballing them for the skills they wanted.

Take it. It's easier to get an $18+/hour job when you have a <$18/hour job than it is when you have no job at all.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Drazzil wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:08 pm

Take it. It's easier to get an $18+/hour job when you have a <$18/hour job than it is when you have no job at all.
Yeah what LawBeef said. Especially if the benefits are good and the work environment seems okay.

Of course, if there's a ton of other jobs that fit your qualifications and pay more that's another story. But you're the judge of that. $iljanus out!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What was the wage they were offering?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

It's easier to get $18+ if you are making anywhere near $18.

If you are making $10 - unless you can believably lie and not have it checked - not so easy to get that big a pay jump.

That said - some pay until you find a better paying job is general better than no pay.

Anyhow, g'luck with your continued search and belated happy thanksgiving Draz.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

So. If a computer w a sweet monitor and good speakers pops up lmk guys.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:41 pm What was the wage they were offering?
Lets just say I know I can do better.

As far as taking the first job that pops up I did that in 2011 and I got sucked in good. Granted I made great money but the addictions I picked up to deal with the fact I was doing 60 hours a week meant I was always broke and on edge and in pain.

I was like a goose getting sucked into a jet engine.

Took mom stroking out, me getting sober and realizing the IE was a total dead end to realize jumping at the first job that requires stupid high credentials for stupid low pay wasen't my idea of fun.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

So don’t work 60 hours a week and keep looking for work.

Either you’re not working finding a job or your finding a job isn’t working. You don’t have another option. Beggars can’t be choosers.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:14 am
me getting sober and realizing the IE was a total dead end...
No wonder, if you counted on Internet Explorer.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:26 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:14 am
me getting sober and realizing the IE was a total dead end...
No wonder, if you counted on Internet Explorer.
Oh come now. Edge isin't *bad*. They just run on borrowing the ideas of others. "Crappy anaglym of the best parts of other browsers" is a market niche. IE and edge still own 10% of the market.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I lost my umbrella. :cry:

Think Ill buy a poncho.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:39 pm
That's not entirely true. It establishes a new, lower market value for yourself. Could be a lower rate is all Drazzil is truly worth; one low-ball offer could just mean he's wanted by a shitty company, but if offers are coming in a consistently low rate, that might be all you can do.

Also, I mentioned before - lots of staffing agencies are looking for candidates to fill long term, short term, and temp-to-perm positions. A lot of companies practice "try then buy" through the agency route, while other companies might waste your time following internal policies that require other applicants be ostensibly considered when a chose one has already been tapped for the job. It's easier to negotiate a higher wage because as a temp employee, the company will already being paying between 1.5 and 2 times the salary you are making. A company paying the agency $30 for you might be amenable to paying you $20 as an employee, which is better than the $18 that the agency is paying you.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One does not have to disclose a wage history to interviewing companies.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:35 pm One does not have to disclose a wage history to interviewing companies.
One does not have to answer honestly, either. I never have, and they don't have any way to check. I'm glad, too, what where I live it's actually become illegal to ask about your salary in pre-employment interviews and processes. I've corrected one HR department on it to date, and their person was a bit snitty with "Well, it might have passed, but it's not law yet" - who cares man. Adjust your practices. What you're doing RIGHT NOW is about to be illegal NEXT MONTH. Why not get a little ahead of the ball? Doesn't bother me that they didn't call me back.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:03 pm That's not entirely true. It establishes a new, lower market value for yourself. Could be a lower rate is all Drazzil is truly worth; one low-ball offer could just mean he's wanted by a shitty company, but if offers are coming in a consistently low rate, that might be all you can do.
If I'm a hiring manager, I'm more concerned about a 2+ year gap in employment history than a titled position that is presumably lower wage than the job being applied for. There's so many variables, but I frequently talk with 20 somethings that are forever holding out for some mythical job. You take a reasonable job offer and then springboard into the job you want. No one is paid what they are worth. Holding out for the offer you feel you deserve when you have nothing else going on is the height of hubris, IMHO.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I'm looking for work on my own but am not eager to take the first 12 dollar an hour offer with shit insurance and no gurantee of hours. I put in an app with voc rehab to help me find a job. I qualify for it no sweat but its a two month queue to get it.

I'm not dying for money as my rent and food and electricity are paid but I don't want to sit on my hands much longer either.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Volunteer. Go find a local charity and work for them. Gets you out of the house, provides productive work, and networking opportunities.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:33 pm Volunteer. Go find a local charity and work for them. Gets you out of the house, provides productive work, and networking opportunities.
Ohh! Volunteer with a cat charity.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Does working part time reduce the benefits you currently receive? If not, why not work that $12/hour job part time to get money for stuff you want (and, in theory, save some for a rainy day)? Chick-fil-A around here offers $13/hour to start and you could work 4 hours per day for a nice bump in your standard of living.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Paingod wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:34 pm Why not get a little ahead of the ball? Doesn't bother me that they didn't call me back.
This is kind of the expected result if you stand your ground regarding anything they really want to know. As far as dishonestly answering the question, that's probably not a good idea. Sure, some won't check. but some do, sometimes many months after they hire you. And while your previous employer could be held liable for disclosing that information, you aren't going to necessarily have provable fact that they did. While HR tends to properly field such calls, if you provide your supervisor's name and they aren't aware they aren't supposed to divulge anything besides acknowledging that you worked there and the dates, that info could wind up in your new employers hands and they'd fire you for lying on the application.

Glad to hear it's illegal in your area. It should be illegal everywhere.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:03 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:39 pm
That's not entirely true. It establishes a new, lower market value for yourself. Could be a lower rate is all Drazzil is truly worth; one low-ball offer could just mean he's wanted by a shitty company, but if offers are coming in a consistently low rate, that might be all you can do.

Also, I mentioned before - lots of staffing agencies are looking for candidates to fill long term, short term, and temp-to-perm positions. A lot of companies practice "try then buy" through the agency route, while other companies might waste your time following internal policies that require other applicants be ostensibly considered when a chose one has already been tapped for the job. It's easier to negotiate a higher wage because as a temp employee, the company will already being paying between 1.5 and 2 times the salary you are making. A company paying the agency $30 for you might be amenable to paying you $20 as an employee, which is better than the $18 that the agency is paying you.
So you'd recommend not working in order min-max an $18/hour job?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:55 pm
So you'd recommend not working in order min-max an $18/hour job?
I'm just saying that in this market, he should be applying for $18/hr jobs if that is his requirement and he has the skills to do an $18/hr job. He should not apply for $12/hr jobs and think they'll come up and meet his price, and if a company is trying to low-ball him by offering $12 to work what should be an $18 job, then it is likely not a company he'd want to work for.
Last edited by Jeff V on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:32 pm This pc idea is starting to sound like a dud.
Oh I don't know. While not as Grandiose as an impromptu trip to Costa Rica or Mexico it seems just as fantastically Drazziled. I give it a 7 out of 10.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:48 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:03 pm That's not entirely true. It establishes a new, lower market value for yourself. Could be a lower rate is all Drazzil is truly worth; one low-ball offer could just mean he's wanted by a shitty company, but if offers are coming in a consistently low rate, that might be all you can do.
If I'm a hiring manager, I'm more concerned about a 2+ year gap in employment history than a titled position that is presumably lower wage than the job being applied for. There's so many variables, but I frequently talk with 20 somethings that are forever holding out for some mythical job. You take a reasonable job offer and then springboard into the job you want. No one is paid what they are worth. Holding out for the offer you feel you deserve when you have nothing else going on is the height of hubris, IMHO.
BINGO! The 2 year gap while "Looking" for work is a huge red flag. Shows lack of commitment, disillusion of Grandeur, and a bad work ethic. Depending on how many applicants i got I might not even bother pursuing after seeing such a gap.

but, you do you. I say get the bitching Gaming PC. It will certainly make it easier to not find work and who know you may have a future in streaming! Plus it will last longer than a Vacation to an exotic locale.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:48 pm Holding out for the offer you feel you deserve when you have nothing else going on is the height of hubris, IMHO.
That depends if the $18 represents an increase over prior earnings. Not devaluating oneself is certainly not hubris -- you view a 2 year gap as bad (and it is) but going backwards is bad too and can result in a long road just to get back to where you used to be.

Also consider Portland is not an inexpensive city to live in. According to this site, $18 per hour will yield (after taxes) somewhat less than the average cost of living for a single person. Exasperating the problem by accepting underemployment is not a viable long-term path.
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

morlac wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:48 pm
BINGO! The 2 year gap while "Looking" for work is a huge red flag. Shows lack of commitment, disillusion of Grandeur, and a bad work ethic. Depending on how many applicants i got I might not even bother pursuing after seeing such a gap.

but, you do you. I say get the bitching Gaming PC. It will certainly make it easier to not find work and who know you may have a future in streaming! Plus it will last longer than a Vacation to an exotic locale.
Or it could be a me situating a mother in a nursing home, packing up and disposing of the house and moving to portland.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

PS The "Cats" reddit is awesome. So much floof!.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The big issue is the work history gap — and the attitude of holding out. Taking a job shows he’s willing to work and closes the gap. If they don’t provide guaranteed hours, so what? Take the time to continue the job search. A proven willingness to work is going to be key to getting that $18/hour job.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If I ever have to find a job again, I'm going to have a lot of fun explaining my 20-year gap.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You were raising dogs.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

You were raising *kids*, which is a perfectly good reason.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gbasden wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:15 am You were raising *kids*, which is a perfectly good reason.
A friend of mine took a 8 year break covering the birth and babyhood of her first 2 daughters. She was an HR professional, when she returned to work, it was as a general office aid for several years until she got into a large company in a HR capacity. It took a couple of more years to get back to where he had left off.

The longest gap in my professional career was 15 months, but I also did side work under my own company name; so I could visually bury that fact so I didn't appear idle during that time. I've never been interrogated over gaps in any event.
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Personally I am questioning any gap over 6 months. Provided that gap didn't scare me of even scheduling an interview. That's just me though but I am constantly hiring and sift through a ton of resumes.

Anyhow, I'd wish you good luck in finding a job but I don't believe in it and you certainly haven't made it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My first two litters of English Bulldog puppies got me $13,000.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Looks like I made it past black and cyber without a new comp.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:22 am
gbasden wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:15 am You were raising *kids*, which is a perfectly good reason.
A friend of mine took a 8 year break covering the birth and babyhood of her first 2 daughters. She was an HR professional, when she returned to work, it was as a general office aid for several years until she got into a large company in a HR capacity. It took a couple of more years to get back to where he had left off.

The longest gap in my professional career was 15 months, but I also did side work under my own company name; so I could visually bury that fact so I didn't appear idle during that time. I've never been interrogated over gaps in any event.
We just hired a new team member that had been out of the workforce for 12 years. Her gap due to childrearing wasn't taken into account in our discussions, other than a few extra questions in the interview to make sure she was up to date on current technology.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Drazzil's explanation -- that he was the primary caregiver for his elderly disabled mother -- is good. Hiring managers should see that as a sign of good character, not irresponsibility.