Netflix Do Not Watch Recommendations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RuperT

Netflix Do Not Watch Recommendations

Post by RuperT »

I watched The Vault with my wife the other day, and what a stinker. I can’t imagine what attracted James Franco to this role, besides trying to squeeze some more mileage out of his pedo-stache. Incredibly bad.

This reminded me of another bad Netflix “scary” movie we suffered through a couple of weeks ago: Open House. It looks like they punted on an episodic treatment or something, and just gave up on any interesting mystery. The final shot was egregiously dumb in that regard.
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
hepcat

Re: Netflix Do Not Watch Recommendations

Post by hepcat »

Ditto on The Vault. It started off with an interesting premise, then it became a 4th grader's version of Sixth Sense.

If you want a fantastic low budget horror film that screams John Carpenter, rush to Netflix and watch The Void. I absolutely adore that one.

I think the worst thing I've seen on Netflix lately is <insert name of any Indian horror film>.

I tried sitting through one recently and I couldn't make it to the 10 minute mark. They're bad. I mean...it's a level of bad that makes bad go "Crap, you're giving ME a bad name now". And they're appearing at a rate of about 1 every 12 minutes, I think.
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

While we're on the subject, skip BEDEVILED. It's about a killer app that self-installs on your phone and makes you see nightmarish visions before killing you. Even ignoring the dumb premise, everything about this is screams cookie cutter PG horror movie. One-dimensional characters, wooden dialogue - total yawn.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The Discovery

Interesting enough premise but a waste of good talent with a plodding direction.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:54 pm While we're on the subject, skip BEDEVILED. It's about a killer app that self-installs on your phone and makes you see nightmarish visions before killing you. Even ignoring the dumb premise, everything about this is screams cookie cutter PG horror movie. One-dimensional characters, wooden dialogue - total yawn.
Is this that Facebook documentary?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The Florida Project. Has to be my selection for worst movie of the year. The movie essentially follows bratty kids as they get into trouble every day, who are extremely annoying. Their mother also gets into trouble which eventually gets social services involved. There is no plot to this movie at all. Just feels very random. Best thing about it is Willem Dafoe, and even then, he doesn't have much to work with. As a viewer, one hopes to see a turnaround, some inspiration to this movie, but it's bleak. Ending is also quite bad. If you value your hours, stay away from it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Florida Project is mentioned in a lot of critics’ best of lists for 2017, and still shows a 96 percent rating on rotten tomatoes. Sean Baker is definitely an art house auteur, though. Personally I thought it was a fantastic human story.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The ratings and reviews were what lead us to look forward to it. We'd heard a lot about it on the run up to the Oscars, so there was some anticipation there. In the end, we felt there was a huge disconnect between the ratings it got and what people have seen. It was hugely disappointing to us. Just browsing random reviews, I see there were a lot of people that walked out of theatre showings.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In my experience, the number of people who post claims that they walked out of a film is directly proportional to the critical acclaim a film garners. :wink:

I think there are far more reviews stating it should have been nominated for an Academy Award than there are negative reviews.
Covfefe!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm The Florida Project. Has to be my selection for worst movie of the year. The movie essentially follows bratty kids as they get into trouble every day, who are extremely annoying. Their mother also gets into trouble which eventually gets social services involved. There is no plot to this movie at all. Just feels very random. Best thing about it is Willem Dafoe, and even then, he doesn't have much to work with. As a viewer, one hopes to see a turnaround, some inspiration to this movie, but it's bleak. Ending is also quite bad. If you value your hours, stay away from it.
'Teens causing trouble' movies are a favorite sub genre of mine. Stuff like Over the Edge and Suburbia are what I mean. How does Florida Project compare, or is it a different type of movie?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:52 pm In my experience, the number of people who post claims that they walked out of a film is directly proportional to the critical acclaim a film garners. :wink:
In my experience, professional critics are expert students of film, and have trouble distancing their opinions from their technical expertise.

Moviegoers, on the other hand, are usually not.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

gameoverman wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:27 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm The Florida Project. Has to be my selection for worst movie of the year. The movie essentially follows bratty kids as they get into trouble every day, who are extremely annoying. Their mother also gets into trouble which eventually gets social services involved. There is no plot to this movie at all. Just feels very random. Best thing about it is Willem Dafoe, and even then, he doesn't have much to work with. As a viewer, one hopes to see a turnaround, some inspiration to this movie, but it's bleak. Ending is also quite bad. If you value your hours, stay away from it.
'Teens causing trouble' movies are a favorite sub genre of mine. Stuff like Over the Edge and Suburbia are what I mean. How does Florida Project compare, or is it a different type of movie?
Well, they're not teenagers for one thing. It's more like they're a bunch of screaming Dakota Fannings. There's not much point to them causing trouble other than being bored and looking for things to do and not really understanding what they're getting into and it's like that for pretty much the entire movie. One expects the situation to change, but it never does.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:29 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:52 pm In my experience, the number of people who post claims that they walked out of a film is directly proportional to the critical acclaim a film garners. :wink:
In my experience, professional critics are expert students of film, and have trouble distancing their opinions from their technical expertise.

You have a lot of faith in the average moviegoer’s tastes. Just remember that the Transformer franchise is still going strong, my friend. And how many Scary Movie entries were there again? :twisted:
gameoverman wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:27 pm 'Teens causing trouble' movies are a favorite sub genre of mine. Stuff like Over the Edge and Suburbia are what I mean. How does Florida Project compare, or is it a different type of movie?
Loved Over the Edge, but FP is much more subdued and quiet. It’s a study of a group of forgotten people and the lives of quiet dignity they try to lead. It’s depressing and uplifting at the same time. But it’s definitely slow...and deliberately so. Think early Linklater.
Rumpy wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:10 pm One expects the situation to change, but it never does.
One only expects that because they’ve been taught to by years of formulaic Hollywood storytelling. Not every story has to resolve itself like a fairy tale. This is more in the vein of a Chekhov play.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:17 pm One only expects that because they’ve been taught to by years of formulaic Hollywood storytelling. It every story has to resolve itself like a fairy tale. This is more in the vein of a Chekhov play.
I happen to like a lot of foreign and art house movies, and my tastes especially these days are catered more to them and less to hollywood movies, so I don't have any trouble sitting through movies that don't resolve themselves cleanly. So, that's not the problem. This was just a waste of time. It was bleak and uninteresting. But hey, if you like that kind of thing, more power to you.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course. Sorry if I made it sound otherwise.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Hey, it's Ok. It's the Internet :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:17 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:29 pm

You have a lot of faith in the average moviegoer’s tastes. Just remember that the Transformer franchise is still going strong, my friend. And how many Scary Movie entries were there again? :twisted:
One only expects that because they’ve been taught to by years of formulaic Hollywood storytelling. Not every story has to resolve itself like a fairy tale. This is more in the vein of a Chekhov play.
Nah, but when it comes to subjective things, I tend to have more faith in the millions of opinions of normal people over those of a few with a completely different perspective. Especially since I'm not a professional film critic/lifelong student of technical cinema.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Stinking elitist critics. A pox on them!

...well, unless they like a movie we enjoy, amiright? :wink:
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've been on the side of the critics ever since I learned that a well-written bad review is way more fun than a bad book or movie.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think there are far more reviews stating it should have been nominated for an Academy Award than there are negative reviews.
Amen. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover was one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. At least that had vast amounts of praise heaped upon it. "Ooohhh, it's so artistic." Bull. It was crap. Also, a LOT of people walked out of that picture. Probably not half, but it felt like it at times. (I worked at a cinema that was showing it.)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How many walked out of any of the Transformer movies?
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 am How many walked out of any of the Transformer movies?
Hopefully the same number that walked in.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 am How many walked out of any of the Transformer movies?
I walked out of whichever one had people wingsuiting into the city, right about the point Optimus was strung up like Jesus and people were sliding down glass buildings or something. I think it's the only time I've ever walked out of a movie.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well... considering that I only worked for that cinema when I was in college... I have no idea.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 am
I walked out of whichever one had people wingsuiting into the city, right about the point Optimus was strung up like Jesus and people were sliding down glass buildings or something. I think it's the only time I've ever walked out of a movie.
I'm assuming you were in the wrong theater to begin with.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 am
:lol:
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:17 am
coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 am
:lol:
Absolutely +1
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

TheMix wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:21 am

Amen. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover was one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. At least that had vast amounts of praise heaped upon it. "Ooohhh, it's so artistic." Bull. It was crap. Also, a LOT of people walked out of that picture. Probably not half, but it felt like it at times. (I worked at a cinema that was showing it.)

And that's how I largely feel about TFP, and why I feel like there's a disconnect between critics and viewers. I actually applaud it for tackling the difficult subject, but I just don't feel it was very effective. It's a movie that doesn't have any arc, buildup or climax. Essentially no structure to it. And maybe I was wrong to expect such a thing, BUT I think that's in large part due to the marketing. Even the description of the movie hints at the girl finding happiness among the harsh realities.

And on the subject of praise, well, it happens with games too: Remember Black & White, and Spore? Loved by critics, but essentially panned by players. On the other hand, there have also been games that have been trashed by critics but loved by players.

So, I don't think my dislike of the movie is unwarranted.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I have never walked out of the theater. Not even for Jurassic Park 2. If I make the effort to go to a theater it would have to be some hardcore bad crap for me to walk out.

Now at home, I'll turn a movie off at the blink of an eye. I almost watched Birdman and Moonlight. I gave Birdman about 15 minutes before turning it off. Moonlight had about 45 minutes. I meant to finish Moonlight, but never did. I was not taken in by Birdman one bit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I guess mine would be that pretentious piece of narcissistic crap called High Fidelity. I know a lot of folks like it, but to me it’s just a series of self absorbed ass hats patting themselves on the back for being cool while pretending that wasn’t their goal the entire time.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, Birdman is another one. The first 5 minutes are weird enough that I never got past that. FWIW, TFP often gets compared with Moonlight.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:I guess mine would be that pretentious piece of narcissistic crap called High Fidelity. I know a lot of folks like it, but to me it’s just a series of self absorbed ass hats patting themselves on the back for being cool while pretending that wasn’t their goal the entire time.
That’s a paddling.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m completely justified though because as we’ve established, a film’s merit is inversely proportional to how much critics liked it. So High Fidelity with a review rating of 91 percent on Rotten Tomatoes demonstrably sucks.

<drops mic...wonders off the stage and into the women’s dressing room by accident...spends night in jail>
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's the thing though. Ratings aren't everything. And we've seen time and again how Oscar winners have sometimes ended up being not all that hot. And it just proves just how subjective something can be. What can be great to someone can be a complete miss to someone else, even when the ratings are saying it should be otherwise.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was just goofin’. :wink:
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, you big goof! :P
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JCC

Post by JCC »

Didn't walk out of the theater, but my wife and I ejected the rented Blu Ray as soon as the heroes met the Transformers and they began talking. We LOLed and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Definitely not for me (or her).
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:43 pm And on the subject of praise, well, it happens with games too: Remember Black & White, and Spore? Loved by critics, but essentially panned by players. On the other hand, there have also been games that have been trashed by critics but loved by players.
Were these really loved by critics? Or did they just benefit from the publishing hype machine in an era when game reporting was entirely at the mercy of publishers, at least prior to a major release.

I seem to remember that the only post-release reviews I read were very negative and took the publishers to task for dishonest previews and excessive promises.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:14 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:43 pm And on the subject of praise, well, it happens with games too: Remember Black & White, and Spore? Loved by critics, but essentially panned by players. On the other hand, there have also been games that have been trashed by critics but loved by players.
Were these really loved by critics? Or did they just benefit from the publishing hype machine in an era when game reporting was entirely at the mercy of publishers, at least prior to a major release.

I seem to remember that the only post-release reviews I read were very negative and took the publishers to task for dishonest previews and excessive promises.
As far as I remember, it was a bit of both, especially with Black & White. There certainly was the hype train, and B&W was one of the first titles to get a lot of mainstream attention everywhere including news outlets and such , and as a result, I think there were a lot of reviews praising it. Gamers were a lot more critical of it, voicing their disappointment and displeasure and I don't think it had a long life among gamers. Spore went the extra mile with the hype machine, as they had celebrities like Robin Williams promoting it, and again, a lot of mainstream press gushing over it being revolutionary.

At the very least, I think it opened our eyes and made some of us jaded and cynical.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Indiewire
Billed as China’s first true sci-fi blockbuster, Frant Gwo’s ridiculously profitable (and borderline unwatchable) “The Wandering Earth” tells the story of a cursed future in which the sun has become unstable, and humanity’s only hope for survival are the 10,000 jet engines strong enough to dislodge our planet from its orbit and launch us toward a solar system that’s 4.2 light-years away.

Currently the second-highest grossing movie in Chinese box office history, and now dumped on Netflix without fanfare, Gwo’s film also tells the story of another cursed future — one that presents a more clear and present danger — in which the spectacle required to sustain popular cinema becomes so large that the industry congeals into a worldwide monoculture and creates a vacuum of credible artistic and cultural expression powerful enough to suck an entire medium into a black hole of its own making.
It's almost as if people are the problem.