[Sorry, another] Career Advice Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

MHS

[Sorry, another] Career Advice Thread

Post by MHS »

I should probably just put this in the how's your career going thread but not sure it fits there.

So, knowing I'm going to be getting a kidney transplant probably soon-ish, I'm thinking a lot about the future. I'll be considered medically disabled for up to one year after transplant, but assuming the transplant goes well, they definitely want you off disability asap, which is fine with me, I'd much rather be working and I'll certainly need the insurance since the immunosuppressant drugs are expensive and I'll be on them for the rest of my life. However, since I will be on immunosuppressants, I'm obviously going to have a compromised immune system and I'm not sure how well my current job is going to work with that, given that I currently spend many weeks of the year in hotels and airplanes. Optimally, I'd like to transition from my current job (software training, technical support, doc writing, and project management for a very niche market of state/federally funded adult education) to training in house somewhere, for incoming employees or something. But I'm worried because I've been at my current job 12 years and because it's very small, we aren't really up on a lot of new things. I'm scared I won't be able to find anything in my field. Even though technically I do project management at my current job, I don't do it well and don't particularly like it, but I love the training component (which is the main part of my job). So, does anyone know if there are programs that provide financial aid for the very brief time I'll be "disabled" where I could get a certificate in something as a potential back-up career? Does anyone have any suggestions for options someone with a psych degree and lots of limited experience in one job might transition to that doesn't involve constant travel?

Maybe I'm just focusing on this so I don't think about the more scary parts of my future, but any advice is appreciated. :)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Kelric

Re: [Sorry, another] Career Advice Thread

Post by Kelric »

I can't help much, but why not throw your resume out there now and maybe get some interviews for things you want to do in the future. Regardless of if you get offers and/or accept them it'll give you a better idea of where you might fit and what sort of training you might need to get where you want to be.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given your history, I'd think that being able to jump to an in-house trainer would be an easy jump. You've certainly got the track record of being adaptable with being in the software industry and all of that training.

My small shop has an AVP of 'Talent Development' that, per his LinkedIn, has been in Training since 1991 across a number of different organizations. If you'd like, I can reach out to him and see if he's give your resume a quick glance from his POV and see what jumps out at him.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

MHS wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:05 am So, does anyone know if there are programs that provide financial aid for the very brief time I'll be "disabled" where I could get a certificate in something as a potential back-up career?
I'd check with the organization or school providing the certificate - they might have grants or special allowances. A long time ago I worked with a guy that was out on medical leave (I think) for 16+ weeks due to some major leg surgery. He decided to start a correspondence course on being a lock smith (because all he could do was sit at home on his couch) and eventually became certified as one.
Does anyone have any suggestions for options someone with a psych degree and lots of limited experience in one job might transition to that doesn't involve constant travel?
I'd think training of any kind would involve some level of travel, but depending on the organization overall you might not need to travel all over - perhaps it's regional or within the state between offices. I'd imagine looking through any type of HR job posting might give some ideas. A psych degree and ability (and interest) to train would be an asset to a human resources department. Comfort with public speaking / training is definitely something you can market, IMHO.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Psych case managers (not sure of your exact degree) are always in demand, check the state DHS. Should have good benefits and potentially a pension if there's a state job.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

- Good doc writers are in high demand and rarely need to travel.
- Depending on the type of tool you're teaching people to use, companies are looking for people who are familiar with similar tool types (ERP, resource planning, etc.)
- You could learn & train, use or manage a group that uses or plans the implementation of those tools
- Business Analyst helping define new processes, requirements in the space you worked in?
- Not sales. Sales people travel. Though if it was local, would you be OK with it?
- How about an agile product owner role in the space you're comfortable with? Create user stories and manage/prioritize a product backlog for the development team to work on.
- Infinite possibilities :)
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I think that most companies care about the ability to train more than the subject matter, itself. You don't often find someone with the same expertise in a piece of software that you lose when someone quits. I wouldn't worry too much about what you've trained but focus on how much you've done it and your successes. You do need to show that you can learn new technologies but having experience training is more important. Check company websites (usually larger companies have trainers) for openings. Around here, places like Quaker, General Mills, and Rockwell Collins are good places that have dedicated software trainers. I'd probably stay clear of dedicated training companies (New Horizons, etc) as they pay poorly and are going to be giant germ factories.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I don't have much to add other than support as you begin this process. I have faith that you'll come out the other side just fine. Go git 'em, and all that. :horse:

Also, good advice so far in this thread, methinks. I agree that your ability to successfully train is more important to a prospective new employer than the specifics of what you were training.

Good luck!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Have you considering going freelance?

Something along these lines may well allow you to work from home. All the moreso if you know your industry well, and can identify and target some specific leads within your market (if memory serves, I believe Kraken and his wife have begun to focus in this area of business, and could likely offer further guidance on the specifics). If nothing else, you could dip your toes in the water as an entrepreneurial side-gig, and then see where it takes you prior to your transplant.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:15 am Given your history, I'd think that being able to jump to an in-house trainer would be an easy jump. You've certainly got the track record of being adaptable with being in the software industry and all of that training.

My small shop has an AVP of 'Talent Development' that, per his LinkedIn, has been in Training since 1991 across a number of different organizations. If you'd like, I can reach out to him and see if he's give your resume a quick glance from his POV and see what jumps out at him.
Any chance of remote training via webinar, etc. at the current job?

I know some of the software vendors we work with have that capability, and we've done what we call hybrid courses from a classroom that people could take remotely, which include instructor's capability to remotely work with students.

make the pitch for online education as part of your core training programs.

Regardless, best of luck MHS! There are a lot of older gaming geeks rooting for you!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

One suggestion- look at Coursera and EdX to see if there are programs or even single courses of interest. they are fairly cheap but will give you certified training as well as let you see if there is a path or paths that interest you.

Can you do curriculum development in any of the main tools/software? This is a skill that allows working remotely easily and is highly prized. You might want to check with distance learning companies/institutions as they seem to always be looking for curriculum developers if this is in your skill set.
MHS

Post by MHS »

There’s some great advice in here, thanks. I think anytime you spend over a decade in the same place, you start feeling typecast and like you can’t ever imagine learning to be a cog in someone else’s machine. Or at least that’s how my brain works.

I’m sure my boss would bend over backward to keep me, including shifting more to web training. There’s two problems there...a) he is really bad with boundaries (he asked if I could have the transplant during the week-long company shutdown at Christmas and be back after New Year’s) so I suspect he would gradually, insidiously have me right back to the same travel schedule before too long and b) because he’s that type of person, if I actually had to be in the office every day working in person with him, I’d go nuts.

I’m going to ruminate on your comments and do some research on options.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If you aren't too addicted to reliable income, and you have another source of benefits, you can parlay doc/tech writing into one of those work-at-home contract jobs that lets you make your own schedule, and you only need to wear clothes when you feel like getting dressed up. Every year fewer and fewer people can write comprehensible English, and yet somehow demand for it hasn't died out yet. If you want a lifestyle that's the exact opposite of what you're doing now, where you never have to leave the house or talk to other humans, you can do it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I may be misunderstanding your post MHS but is it you want to make money while considered disabled? If so....I have no idea your ability to work during that year after your type medical surgery but disability allows you to work so many hours per month / year. I cant recall what the amount of time you get but you get so much time to work and there is a hard limit cap too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When I worked for a hospital, an adjunct of the HR department was Organizational Development. This department had a director, a trainer, and someone to develop web based training content. None of these were travel jobs. After we were acquired, the trainer was the sole survivor and then she had to travel between 4 member hospitals, all in about a 10 mile radius.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I would also look at higheredjobs.com. Community Colleges, Colleges, and Universities use it and many of them have trainers for staff and students. Most colleges have generous benefits like lots of sick time, lots of vacation, no travel, etcetera. Go to administrative, computer and information technology, support and training. If you go to search, advanced, you can narrow it to specific states (such as the url I put above). There's an opening in Greeley for a software trainer and customer support job at Western Governor's University (online/remote position). Sometimes, there are support positions for specific disciplines such as Psychology. The bad thing about working for most colleges is that you don't get paid as much as you would in the private sector.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
MHS

Post by MHS »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:46 pm I would also look at higheredjobs.com. Community Colleges, Colleges, and Universities use it and many of them have trainers for staff and students. Most colleges have generous benefits like lots of sick time, lots of vacation, no travel, etcetera. Go to administrative, computer and information technology, support and training. If you go to search, advanced, you can narrow it to specific states (such as the url I put above). There's an opening in Greeley for a software trainer and customer support job at Western Governor's University (online/remote position). Sometimes, there are support positions for specific disciplines such as Psychology. The bad thing about working for most colleges is that you don't get paid as much as you would in the private sector.
That would be a nearly perfect type of fit. A pay cut would be ok if the trade off was good benefits. I think almost anywhere I go will involve a decrease since I’m currently overpaid. Thanks!

Kraken, that’s a possibility. I’m not sure I have the required self-discipline to be an independent contractor. I know my faults. I’m a great worker bee- tell me what to do and I’ll do it very well, but not an entrepreneurial spirit.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If I had to travel like you do, I'd find it hard to think I was overpaid but that's me. For me the trade off for the pay cut would the luxury of being able to come home at night. Of course, at this stage in life good benefits are more important than just about any salary for me and I can't even imagine what you are about to through.

I have no suggestions, but I wish you the best.

How does one find a job for instructor led online courses? I know they have a lot of them. I'm not a fan but they aren't going anywhere and they are the wave of just about every class I take as professional nowadays. No one wants to pay for travel or real estate but they value a human teacher, all the same, and pay handsomely to have one.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:37 pm I may be misunderstanding your post MHS but is it you want to make money while considered disabled? If so....I have no idea your ability to work during that year after your type medical surgery but disability allows you to work so many hours per month / year. I cant recall what the amount of time you get but you get so much time to work and there is a hard limit cap too.
I won’t work during my “disability” period. I only plan to take 2-4 months off, not the whole year that’s allowed. Mainly I was hoping there might be financial aid available for additional schooling so I could cross-train on a job that doesn’t require so much travel. Thanks for the information though, it’s good to know!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

MHS wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:52 am
Kraken, that’s a possibility. I’m not sure I have the required self-discipline to be an independent contractor. I know my faults. I’m a great worker bee- tell me what to do and I’ll do it very well, but not an entrepreneurial spirit.
Self-promotion is my weakness, too; I hate everything to do with marketing. It's the main reason I'm folding Curio City, and the reason that never really broke out.

I'm fortunate to have a wife with a lot of connections. People who want to hire her often get me instead. Once you get a few steady clients and carve out a niche, though, you don't need to advertise. It's a clubby industry that mostly works on word-of-mouth.