[TV series] Watchmen

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

malchior

Re: [TV series] Watchmen

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:34 am
malchior wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:37 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:12 pm I’ve been loving this series so far, despite having no connection to the original comic. Somehow every episode just seems to get weirder and weirder, which is great.

I do have one quibble, though:
Spoiler:
after taking the nostalgia pills, Angela has flashbacks that include when her grandfather “killed” the chief of police. Yet that happened the same night Angela first meets her grandfather and takes him to her restaurant. So when did her grandfather have time to make new nostalgia pills that included him mesmerizing and killing the police chief?
I think you have a point but there is an out --
Spoiler:
IIRC they found the pills after it was dropped from the sky. They could have been "updated" between that night and the return of car. He now had time to add that memory in.
Ah, I think you're right. I had thought he had been carrying them when she first met him. Quibble rescinded!
He was but she refused them! :)
MHS

Post by MHS »

Thought it was a great show, hoping for a second season but if we don’t get one, this wrapped things up nicely.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I agree. I'd love for there to be more of it, but that was a very satisfying ending. The only major headscratcher left was the dude who slid into the sewer when he was chased. Did they explain that and I just missed it?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:05 pm I agree. I'd love for there to be more of it, but that was a very satisfying ending. The only major headscratcher left was the dude who slid into the sewer when he was chased. Did they explain that and I just missed it?
I completely forgot about that dude. I guess the idea is that he was just a random vigilante with some serious lubricant?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wasn't on board at first, but the writer(s) did a great job of hooking me in later episodes, then brought it all back home in a very satisfying manner. This is one of those rare occurrences where a good ending could actually lead to a second season and I wouldn't complain that it lessens the first season.
He won. Period.
Jag

Post by Jag »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:05 pm I agree. I'd love for there to be more of it, but that was a very satisfying ending. The only major headscratcher left was the dude who slid into the sewer when he was chased. Did they explain that and I just missed it?
Lubeman. It was in the supplemental material, the Peteypedia.
https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

Specifically both documents from File 8 (Episode 8). Starting with Agent Petey's memo.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I definitely didn't pick up on that from the episode 8 materials, although I did suspect something after reading the episode 9 materials (which I did after my post earlier today). I've since then also seen a few places where they suspect that lubeman was Petey, so that makes sense. Kudos to you for picking up on it earlier.

Still kind of weird that they never went anywhere with it, given how striking it seemed at the time and that Lindelhof is apparently stating that this is a one-and-done thing (meaning Season 2 of the Watchmen is unlikely to occur, if you were looking forward to the Adventures of Lubeman).
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:39 pm I definitely didn't pick up on that from the episode 8 materials, although I did suspect something after reading the episode 9 materials (which I did after my post earlier today). I've since then also seen a few places where they suspect that lubeman was Petey, so that makes sense. Kudos to you for picking up on it earlier.

Still kind of weird that they never went anywhere with it, given how striking it seemed at the time and that Lindelhof is apparently stating that this is a one-and-done thing (meaning Season 2 of the Watchmen is unlikely to occur, if you were looking forward to the Adventures of Lubeman).
Lindelof does favor those occasional bursts of outright weirdness that don't have a direct effect on the plot.
Jag

Post by Jag »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:39 pm I definitely didn't pick up on that from the episode 8 materials, although I did suspect something after reading the episode 9 materials (which I did after my post earlier today). I've since then also seen a few places where they suspect that lubeman was Petey, so that makes sense. Kudos to you for picking up on it earlier.

Den of Geek had a decent article on it as well.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/hbo/284 ... dale-petey
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I didn't start watching this until it was on episode 5 or 6, but I binged on it for a week or so and got caught up before the finale.

I thought it was amazing. Loved the obvious reverence it had for the original work and the care they showed in making a new story centered on race where the original story was centered on nuclear annihilation.

As long as it kept up the quality and care I'd love to see a season 2, but at the same time I wouldn't be sad if this was the last Watchmen we get as it was a fulfilling continuation of that story and felt well contained.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but there's a 3 part companion podcast HBO released where Craig Mazin (writer of Chernobyl) interviews Damon Lindelof and unpacks a lot of the little intricacies of the series. Worth a listen.

Edit: In related news, there are headlines just recently that investigators have located possible mass graves from the 1921 Tulsa Massacre that starts the series: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tulsa-race ... 019-12-17/
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Aaaaaand dead.
Lindelof told USA TODAY this week that he's told the story he wants to tell and has no interest in a second season, though he's "given my blessing" to HBO should it want to pursue a new installment with another writer-producer.

But [HBO programming chief Casey Bloys] concedes that's unlikely to happen: "It would be hard to imagine doing it without Damon involved in some way."

Sorry, fans, but the season-ending cliffhanger will likely never be resolved.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm fine with the decision. It's hard to see where the story would have gone from there, and I don't really consider the ending much of a cliffhanger - just a bit ambiguous.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

ImLawBoy wrote:I'm fine with the decision. It's hard to see where the story would have gone from there, and I don't really consider the ending much of a cliffhanger - just a bit ambiguous.
I really enjoyed watching the actors in the show so I wouldn't have minded seeing more but I agree that it did end well.

The adventures of Lube Man, however is a story that is begging to be told...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:28 am
ImLawBoy wrote:I'm fine with the decision. It's hard to see where the story would have gone from there, and I don't really consider the ending much of a cliffhanger - just a bit ambiguous.
I really enjoyed watching the actors in the show so I wouldn't have minded seeing more but I agree that it did end well.

The adventures of Lube Man, however is a story that is begging to be told...
That sounds like something that would show up on HBOMaXXX.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I started watching this over the weekend having never read anything about it or the comic. I just heard it was a good series worth seeing. I'm four episodes in and have very little idea what is going on. Without spoiling anything, is that by design or would I get more out of it if I was to brush up on the comic books recaps?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Definitely read the comic. The movie will just confuse you more as they radically changed the ending. An event that the HBO series makes reference to quite a bit.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I hadn't read the comics but I did read a Wikipedia synopsis of the plot. I certainly think that helped recognize some details I otherwise would not have. But I don't think it's absolutely necessary to be familiar with the source material; I thought the show did a decent job of explaining enough of the background for to understand what's going on. The most confusing part to me was Jeremy Iron's character, but that gets explained eventually.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:43 am I hadn't read the comics but I did read a Wikipedia synopsis of the plot. I certainly think that helped recognize some details I otherwise would not have. But I don't think it's absolutely necessary to be familiar with the source material; I thought the show did a decent job of explaining enough of the background for to understand what's going on. The most confusing part to me was Jeremy Iron's character, but that gets explained eventually.
This was my experience as well. Overall, glad I watched it, and I get why people were impressed with it, but it left me kind of “meh.” Some great acting by some great actors, and the writing and directing is inspired at times, but it was all a little far out for me. This is one where I think fan’s of the original source material are in for a treat, but for others, it may be hit or miss.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks. I went with this recap, as it was written right before the series came out specifically for people who hadn't read the comics. It helps a bit. I guess I'll now how much when I finish the next 5 episodes.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm in awe Reznor/Ross and of course, Regina King. But I knew what to expect from her after Southland. Tim Blake Nelson was another standout. And of course, Jeremy Irons was Jeremy Irons. Not having a history with the source material (just the mixed-review 2009 film), I didn't think I'd care about this series so much. But I'm astonished they pulled it off.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I honestly can't imagine watching this without reading the graphic novel. Both because you will understand the background a lot better as well as because the graphic novel is amazing.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just started watching this...fantastic so far. I read the OG graphic novel and saw the movie years ago, so don't quite remember all the details, but I did watch that recap video posted upthread. Still don't understand the "squid rain" in the series, though. That's some holdover from Ozymandias' experiments?

Also, it took me forever to realize who Jeremy Irons was playing.
Spoiler:
With the surreal setting and weird shit, I thought I was seeing Dr. Manhattan on Mars, but with illusions surrounding him.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:11 pm Still don't understand the "squid rain" in the series, though. That's some holdover from Ozymandias' experiments?
It's because the HBO show is a sequel to the comic book (alien squid threat) and not the movie (no alien squid threat).

It's not a holdover from his experiments, its his raison d'etre (comic book).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Absolutely amazing series. I want more, though, dammit! Earns every bit of the 97% RT score IMO. Phenomenal acting (Charlene!!! :D)!

Honestly I only remember Regina King from Jerry Maguire (though she was also great in that IIRC), but wow...serious acting chops. I think I am pretty sensitive to acting levels...when one particular actor or a few, are truly great, the ones that aren't really stand out and it can ruin or seriously dampen my enjoyment. In this case, I am hard-pressed to think of ANY bad acting. If I was forced to pick the weakest acting link, I guess it would be the Senator.

Writing was brilliant, the plot was brilliant, and the respect for the IP was obvious (and SUPER well-done in terms of capturing the tone of the OG).

I guess I didn't come into this with the same anger towards the creator that some of you obviously did before it was released (based on reading the early posts), but surely he has redeemed himself at least a little in your eyes? I can't imagine anyone who was a fan of the original graphic novel not liking this, or at LEAST admitting that it was pulled off successfully (no small feat).
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's pretty funny to read this thread from the beginning and see the skepticism (to put it mildly) with which this project was initially greeted vs. the acclaim it ended up receiving.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh. I didn't actually comment in this thread. I randomly watched it for the first time shortly after the BLM protests in 2020 and was absolutely blown away. I was really thinking it was going to be a mess, but they definitely delivered an awesome show.
Maybe next year, maybe no go