Heading to Phoenix tonight

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Brian

Heading to Phoenix tonight

Post by Brian »

The wife and I will be heading to Phoenix in a few hours.

We have been planning for some time to make the move to the area but our original timeline didn't have us moving until around the spring of 2019.

However, while looking at job openings in the area, my wife discovered that her most desired clinic prospect was hiring for a veterinary technician. The clinic, Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic of Arizona, specializes in, surprise, birds and other exotic animals including reptiles. Her specialty is in reptiles (she's even the current serving President of the Nebraska Herpetological Society) so this is right in her wheelhouse.

Naturally, she jumped at the chance to submit her resume and they contacted her and have since arranged for her to do an on-the-job interview which is scheduled for tomorrow.

If she is offered the job and decides to accept, then we will likely move her down at the end of July and get her setup with an apartment. I will have to stay in Omaha for another year or so while continuing to work on the house and get it prepped to sell before I move down there myself but hey, at least we've got the ball rolling.

We'll be heading back to Omaha on Thursday but in the meantime, if any OOers in the area would like to get together for dinner or something, let me know.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Moliere

Re: Heading to Phoenix tonight

Post by Moliere »

A sample of the high/low temperature for the next 10 days. Enjoy!

117°88°
120°89°
119°89°
114°86°
112°86°
114°87°
114°88°
111°86°
108°84°
106°81°
106°81°
107°80°
107°78°
107°78°
107°79°
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Brian

Post by Brian »

As if I hadn't already researched that. :)

So yeah, this will also be a good test of our tolerances.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The news this morning suggested canceling any travel plans to Phoenix today. Forecast was for 110 degree temps.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Good luck on the interview! Pulling for her!

Edit: Are you stopping in the Denver area on your return trip? Guess it depends on whether you are going over-down or down-over to Phoenix and the reverse on the way back.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Brian

Post by Brian »

TheMix wrote:Good luck on the interview! Pulling for her!

Edit: Are you stopping in the Denver area on your return trip? Guess it depends on whether you are going over-down or down-over to Phoenix and the reverse on the way back.
Today's trip is Omaha to Las Vegas and then to Phoenix.
The return trip is Phoenix to Dallas to Omaha.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh, duh. You are flying. I'm not sure why I just assumed you were driving... :doh:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

He might stop in Denver if his arms get too tired on the way, though.
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

El Guapo wrote:He might stop in Denver if his arms get too tired on the way, though.
:P

Black Lives Matter

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Hope travel goes smoothly. I heard on the news this afternoon that the heat was preventing flights landing in Phoenix during the day today.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
tgb

Post by tgb »

Moliere wrote:A sample of the high/low temperature for the next 10 days. Enjoy!

117°88°
120°89°
119°89°
114°86°
112°86°
114°87°
114°88°
111°86°
108°84°
106°81°
106°81°
107°80°
107°78°
107°78°
107°79°
At least we don't have to shovel it. And as I tell family back East, it's not like I'm out in the sun all day digging ditches. I assume neither Brian nor Mrs. Brian will be either.

Brian, we're going out of town on Thursday, but the next time you're in these parts perhaps we can meet up somewhere between Phoenix and Tucson. Or maybe even head down into Mexico :ninja:
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

tgb wrote:At least we don't have to shovel it. And as I tell family back East, it's not like I'm out in the sun all day digging ditches. I assume neither Brian nor Mrs. Brian will be either.
The only time I feel the heat is walking to and from my car. Home, work, car, and every business here is air conditioned.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Brian

Post by Brian »

Not having to shovel or mow anything is a pretty big motivator for me.

We will definitely need to get the AC working in her car before moving her down there though.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Moliere wrote:A sample of the high/low temperature for the next 10 days. Enjoy!

117°88°
120°89°
119°89°
114°86°
112°86°
114°87°
114°88°
111°86°
108°84°
106°81°
106°81°
107°80°
107°78°
107°78°
107°79°
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
MHS

Post by MHS »

That's exactly how I feel...big ol' nope. Last time I was there (cancelled flight layover), it was over 90 at 5 am. That's insanity.

I will visit in the winter though.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have no issue with the heat (we rarely get higher than mid 100s though - I don't know what another 10 degrees would do to me), except I am a runner... In Dallas in the summer I have to run before sunrise to have a comfortable run. Right now as long as I finish by 7:30 it's ok, but we haven't hit July yet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

coopasonic wrote:I have no issue with the heat (we rarely get higher than mid 100s though - I don't know what another 10 degrees would do to me), except I am a runner... In Dallas in the summer
Dallas hits 150-160? I guess you got us beat :D
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Saw flights cancelled since the planes are only rated to 118F.

Air is not dense enough to lift plane off the ground before end of runway.
8-)
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

Yeah it's hot here for a few months a year but it is gorgeous the rest of the time. I flew back home yesterday at 117 degrees and it was hot but dry. Once in A/C you cool off pretty quickly. Then again, I've got 3 generations of forefathers who have lived in southern AZ before me so I may be genetically acclimated.

Then again, when winter comes, you don't have to shovel sunshine!
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wusses. Shoveling snow is fine exercise, but thanks to global warming, not something we get a lot of. I think I had to shovel the driveway exactly twice all of last winter.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

WarPig wrote:Yeah it's hot unlivable here for a few months a year but it is gorgeous the rest of the time.
FTFY
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

WarPig wrote:Yeah it's hot here for a few months a year but it is gorgeous the rest of the time. I flew back home yesterday at 117 degrees and it was hot but dry. Once in A/C you cool off pretty quickly. Then again, I've got 3 generations of forefathers who have lived in southern AZ before me so I may be genetically acclimated.

Then again, when winter comes, you don't have to shovel sunshine!
You know what is a great indoor activity on a boiling hot day? Calling Senators Flake and McCain to discuss health care.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

A friend of mines son lived in Phoenix. Owned a house had a good job. But eventually he moved back here because he said you basically never went outside for months.

My only trip thru there was in May many years ago and it was over 100 degrees.
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

My observations so far:

1. It's hot but not unliveably so (based on one day in 120 degree heat. I might think differently after weeks of this but so far it doesn't bother me).

2. Sunglasses are a necessity. I have glasses that change in sunlight but they don't work in the car and after a day of driving around I'm expereriencing quite a bit of eyestrain from the constant glare. Of course it's likely being exacerbated by having only three hours of sleep. I'll try to find some clip-on shades or something and see if that helps.

3. The color palette everywhere is brown, beige, orange, and yellow.

4. The wife likes the clinic, likes the one doctor she's met (the others are out today), and likes the staff. She's hoping they make an offer and that it will be worth moving for. Hopefully we'll know soon.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Congrats! Hopefully that will mean good news for her.

I'm in the camp that personally couldn't imagine living there, though. Eighteen years of growing up in the desert has made me loathe extreme heat and the desert color palette is depressing. I crave green places!
MHS

Post by MHS »

Putting aside the heat issue entirely, I could never live there because I loathe stucco.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

Depending on where in Phoenix Metro you want to live, I might have a local real estate hookup or three.

The sun glare is something I can't stress to visitors enough. Without sunglasses, your eyes get tired quick. Also, going from outside to in will temporarily blind you as most places have shades drawn and few lights on just to pretend that it isn't so hot. Clip-ons are a great idea.

Sincerely, welcome to my home state. Beautiful to look at, not worth listening to.
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

WarPig wrote:Depending on where in Phoenix Metro you want to live, I might have a local real estate hookup or three.
Throw a rock and you're bound to hit a couple.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gbasden wrote: Eighteen years of growing up in the desert has made me loathe extreme heat and the desert color palette is depressing. I crave green places!
I'm exactly the opposite. Many years in the desert and I miss it. I'd gladly trade stuffy Indiana hazy greens for a brown, beige, orange, and yellow color palette.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote:
gbasden wrote: Eighteen years of growing up in the desert has made me loathe extreme heat and the desert color palette is depressing. I crave green places!
I'm exactly the opposite. Many years in the desert and I miss it. I'd gladly trade stuffy Indiana hazy greens for a brown, beige, orange, and yellow color palette.
My sister is exactly like you. She had a beautiful house in France near Grenoble - green, beautiful, amazing - and chose to move to Dubai because she likes the heat and the desert landscapes. I want the diametric opposite.
Brian

Post by Brian »

5. So many Teslas
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was out in the heat today. It was only 85. I about had a heat stroke.
No AC in the car and had to push my wife around in her wheelchair.
If I had the money I would definitely live up north somewhere.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Brian

Post by Brian »

So we're at the airport and will be leaving Phoenix in a couple hours.

Looks like the wife will almost certainly take the offer they made and will move down at the end of July.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Brian wrote:will move down at the end of July.

Way to hit the peak temperature on move day. :pop:

Oh, and the dust storms in August are awesome.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

MHS wrote:Putting aside the heat issue entirely
I don't understand.
Brian

Post by Brian »

TSA agent at the line we ended up in was being...i dunno...obnoxiously thorough. He kicked out at least one bin or bag for closer inspection for everybody in line with us.
It took us twenty minutes while they searched every bag, purse, and even iPad for at least fifteen people.

Fortunately, we are two hours early for our flight.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Brian wrote:TSA agent at the line we ended up in was being...i dunno...obnoxiously thorough. He kicked out at least one bin or bag for closer inspection for everybody in line with us.
It took us twenty minutes while they searched every bag, purse, and even iPad for at least fifteen people.

Fortunately, we are two hours early for our flight.
Did you offer to show him your penis?
Brian

Post by Brian »

No. I'm at an airport not a Waffle House.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Everybody who lives in these God Forgotten places always says, "Well you don't have to shovel sunshine!"

You all sound like cult victims.

I live where there is snow. I don't shovel my own snow. It doesn't cost much to pay a guy to show up at 4:00 AM to take care of your snow for you.

How big are the outdoor flying roaches where you people live? Oh, sorry palmetto bugs. Up here, all bugs die once a year and have to start over. It's way better.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And I'm not even going to bring up coccidioidomycosis.

Good luck. Sounds like a great opportunity.
Maybe next year, maybe no go