News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by McNutt »

Rumpy wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:08 am I liked the Current War. Tesla is a relatively minor character in it, but I enjoyed it.
I haven't seen that one. I know it was supposed to come out, and I was interested in seeing it, but I think it was one of those that was delayed due to the Pandemic or received little attention. I know there was also another movie in production.

FWIW, there's a very good novel called The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore that tells the story. It was an excellent read.

But this Ethan Hawke movie was just F'n weird. You have JP Morgan's daughter narrating events in a pseudo documentary style overlaid with historical photos, so you think it's at least somewhat true to life, and to be fair some of the events match what's been recounted in the above novel. But then it takes a sharp left turn into absurdity with Tesla singing that song. It feels like a Rickroll.
stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:06 pm Shit....now I have to watch it.....
Well maybe you won't have to watch the entire movie. Just found the clip on Youtube.
What the fuck was that? How does a director convince everyone else that this scene MUST be in the movie?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I know, right?? It was quite the WTF moment. And it didn't even remotely fit into the context of the movie other than 'tortured soul wants his inventions to rule the world' And what the heck possessed Ethan Hawke to do that?? It's so incredibly cheesy. May be one of the worst things I've seen on Netflix.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They probably saw it done in better movies and tv shows and thought they could pull it off too. Offhand, I remember it working in Legion and American Horror Story. But they have talented writers that made it work within the context of the shows.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, in certain cases, it can. But in this case it's so far removed. It's just so out there. It doesn't even try by having a period-accurate mic :lol:

I can just imagine the round-table discussions:

Director: Ok guys, we need to make this movie more exciting. Any ideas?
Writer: Well, movies have been known to have musical numbers...
Director: Brilliant! Yes! We'll have Tesla connect to his audience while he sings... uh, well what does he sing?
Producer: He's a tortured soul who wants his inventions to devour Edison, so.... *checks music licensing* 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World'? That'd work.
Director: Sold! That's genius! Everyone will be delighted!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Super easy. Barely an inconvenience!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:36 am Super easy. Barely an inconvenience!
:clap:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:21 am I'm almost done Season 1 of Dear White People and would recommend it. They do a good job of integrating humor into some very complex situations and characters.
We are in the beginning of the third season and I have really enjoyed it. The first episode was pretty heavy, beating you over the head with the message, but it takes it a bit easier after that. I will say as an old white man, sometimes I have no idea what they are talking about just from a pop culture perspective, though it's not too often.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Weird, you’d think they’d put out a trailer with at least one laugh in it but...

...wait, could it be the movie itself is....

Oh...never mind.

Aaaawkward
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:09 pm Weird, you’d think they’d put out a trailer with at least one laugh in it but...

...wait, could it be the movie itself is....

Oh...never mind.

Aaaawkward
I was going to give you crap for your high brow tastes, then I watched the trailer... yeah.

The very last scene was... better?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Melissa McCarthy’s Spy is one of the better comedies of the last 10 years, so it’s not that I don’t like her. She just seems to be pairing up with people who don’t accentuate her comedic style. And she gets crap writers.

But man, Spy is hilarious. The uncut version especially.
Covfefe!
Tao

Post by Tao »

Anyone else still watching season 3 of Depress-enchantment? For a quirky animated show with a demon that looks like a cat and an elf named Elfo this show has taken a serious and depressing turn.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I tore through that in 5 days. I love me some Disenchantment.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:59 pm Melissa McCarthy’s Spy is one of the better comedies of the last 10 years, so it’s not that I don’t like her. She just seems to be pairing up with people who don’t accentuate her comedic style. And she gets crap writers.

This, 1,000x. She is SO damn funny, but has been in SO many stinkers, I feel that her funny has really been wasted. Not sure what the problem has been, exactly, but what you wrote feels about right (ha!).

She needs her "Elf" or "Anchorman" movie like Will Ferrell. Her "The Jerk" like Steve Martin. Etc.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Pacific Rim: The Black is out today. Which of you is ready to pre-screen it for me to let me know if it's Pacific Rim goodness or crap?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:00 am
hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:59 pm Melissa McCarthy’s Spy is one of the better comedies of the last 10 years, so it’s not that I don’t like her. She just seems to be pairing up with people who don’t accentuate her comedic style. And she gets crap writers.

This, 1,000x. She is SO damn funny, but has been in SO many stinkers, I feel that her funny has really been wasted. Not sure what the problem has been, exactly, but what you wrote feels about right (ha!).

She needs her "Elf" or "Anchorman" movie like Will Ferrell. Her "The Jerk" like Steve Martin. Etc.

Melissa McCarthy is definitely funny when given the chance. Spy should have been her star maker. Her bullying the Swede was worth the price of admission alone.

NSFW
Spoiler:
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm not a fan of hers, but she was quite decent in St-Vincent with Bill Murray. It showed me a different side of her. She can do really great drama when given the chance.

It kind of reminds me that at one time Queen Latifah (I think it was her) released an album where she was crooning. It made me do a double-take to make sure it really was her when seeing her publicize it via talk shows. That lady really has nice pipes! Really made me wish she'd do more of that.

I guess my point is that I feel some actors need to excersize themselves a little more and get out of their comfort zones.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

IDK where I heard about it -- maybe here -- but last night we watched an older movie called "The History of Time Travel." It's a mockumentary with a twist that I won't spoil, other than to say it was the most creative time-travel story I've seen in a very long time. Strongly recommended.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:31 pm IDK where I heard about it -- maybe here -- but last night we watched an older movie called "The History of Time Travel." It's a mockumentary with a twist that I won't spoil, other than to say it was the most creative time-travel story I've seen in a very long time. Strongly recommended.
I'm in, thanks for the rec. Edit: I found it on Prime Video.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:07 am Pacific Rim: The Black is out today. Which of you is ready to pre-screen it for me to let me know if it's Pacific Rim goodness or crap?
Since you all failed me, I watched ep 1. So far, it's... exactly what I wanted in a Pacific Rim anime. Will have to see how it develops, but it's promising.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Gave into the hype and watched the first episode of Lupin last night.
I may be the only person in the world who doesn't like it. I can see what it's trying to do, but it all just seems so heavy handed. And the lens flair!

At least I still have Queen's Gambit and Russian Doll.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:24 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:07 am Pacific Rim: The Black is out today. Which of you is ready to pre-screen it for me to let me know if it's Pacific Rim goodness or crap?
Since you all failed me, I watched ep 1. So far, it's... exactly what I wanted in a Pacific Rim anime. Will have to see how it develops, but it's promising.
Have you watched the Godzilla anime movie trilogy? If not, do so.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:45 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:31 pm IDK where I heard about it -- maybe here -- but last night we watched an older movie called "The History of Time Travel." It's a mockumentary with a twist that I won't spoil, other than to say it was the most creative time-travel story I've seen in a very long time. Strongly recommended.
I'm in, thanks for the rec. Edit: I found it on Prime Video.
Oooops, wrong thread. Yup, it's on Prime.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:13 pm
I have not, but will. Netflix?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup. You’re going to love it, I bet. It’s a sci-fi tale with some interesting reimagined characters.
Covfefe!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:07 am
Melissa McCarthy is definitely funny when given the chance. Spy should have been her star maker. Her bullying the Swede was worth the price of admission alone.
Thank you for including the video. If that was worth the price of admission I hope the movie was free.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:37 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:07 am
Thank you for including the video. If that was worth the price of admission I hope the movie was free.
No, I think I paid about 5.50 for a Tuesday matinee at the time. I suspect the overwhelming number of critics who gave the movie great reviews probably got to see it for free though.
Covfefe!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The movie might be great. It might even be funny. I have no idea. But I do know that on it's own merits that clip did nothing for me.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Watched I Care For You last night. It’s a dark sort of comedy about a woman who takes advantage of the elderly but then targets the wrong woman. It was pretty good; definitely worth a watch.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

McNutt wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:48 pm
Rumpy wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:08 am I liked the Current War. Tesla is a relatively minor character in it, but I enjoyed it.
I haven't seen that one. I know it was supposed to come out, and I was interested in seeing it, but I think it was one of those that was delayed due to the Pandemic or received little attention. I know there was also another movie in production.

FWIW, there's a very good novel called The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore that tells the story. It was an excellent read.

But this Ethan Hawke movie was just F'n weird. You have JP Morgan's daughter narrating events in a pseudo documentary style overlaid with historical photos, so you think it's at least somewhat true to life, and to be fair some of the events match what's been recounted in the above novel. But then it takes a sharp left turn into absurdity with Tesla singing that song. It feels like a Rickroll.
stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:06 pm Shit....now I have to watch it.....
Well maybe you won't have to watch the entire movie. Just found the clip on Youtube.
What the fuck was that? How does a director convince everyone else that this scene MUST be in the movie?
Yikes, they should have gone with a huge dance number.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tesla: A Bollywood Story
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:33 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:13 pm
I have not, but will. Netflix?
Just finished The Black. I thought it was pretty awesome--mix Pacific Rim with Fallout and you get The Black. It's only 7 episodes long (somewhere around 2 hrs 30 min total) and feels like a movie. The art style really grabbed me. There's actual character development (hell, even the Jaeger AI has the start of an arc).

It felt like more than a cheap way to extend the PR movieverse to me. I'm glad season 2 has already been greenlit.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We watched White Tiger and it was ultimately disappointing. The problem is that the media publicity surrounding it paints a very different and misleading picture of what it's actually about. It paints a picture of a young man who builds an empire of his own, but in reality, it's just a tiny portion framing the broader narrative to something much darker.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I has a sad.

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

What a run. That was a very unique show that our household certainly appreciated. Bummer we won't see more.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:59 am Just finished The Black. I thought it was pretty awesome--mix Pacific Rim with Fallout and you get The Black. It's only 7 episodes long (somewhere around 2 hrs 30 min total) and feels like a movie. The art style really grabbed me. There's actual character development (hell, even the Jaeger AI has the start of an arc).

It felt like more than a cheap way to extend the PR movieverse to me. I'm glad season 2 has already been greenlit.
I'm about 3 episodes in and I'm enjoying it. It definitely is better than the 2nd movie.

Netflix has a nice little cottage industry going of making anime versions of movies, books, video games, etc.. Castlevania was their first popular attempt, methinks.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Do you need to have seen the second movie to enjoy it?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

McNutt wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:44 pm Do you need to have seen the second movie to enjoy it?
No. The events are referenced, but if you've seen the first, you have enough to go on.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In fact, watching the 2nd one may stop you from watching anything else in the franchise. :wink:
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not sure if it's exclusive to Netflix, but I started watching "The Last Dance" kind of by accident last night. Dragged my ass to bed 3.5 hours later! My God that is addictive.

Even if you aren't into sports, it draws you in so quickly and completely, you find it hard to stop after one episode (I did at least). 97% Rotten Tomatoes, and I fully support that.

Documentary with a LOT of behind the scenes stuff from the incredible 90's Chicago Bulls. Of course it's heavy on Michael Jordan, his origins, impact on coming to the team, etc. But it also deals with Scottie Pippen and others, and the office/players dynamic which became toxic to the point of shouting matches.

Just amazing to watch it unfold. Note that I am not a hardcore sports fan, certainly not a huge NBA fan (though I have been to a few games, and actually saw Jordan play once in Charlotte many moons ago). But I think this is one of those things that would interest even non-sports fans. If you look at the TRUE G.O.A.T.s in sports history, I think their stories are fascinating. I also recently read a book about the USA in the late 20's, and it dealt heavily with Babe Ruth. I am not going to say I despise baseball, but I don't like watching it very much (especially on TV) If I must watch it, I want it to be a low key, minor league game where I am chilling out with a few beers, and there better be fireworks at the end, dammit. But the story of someone that was THAT good, no matter what they do, made for fascinating reading.

Have not finished it, but can't wait to see what unfolds.

PS - I have to say that Phil Jackson is PRECISELY as cool and chill a dude as I always thought he must be.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80203144