News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:19 am

I also finally sped through the rest of Love, Death and Robots. The back half wasn't nearly as good as the first half for me.
I believe they play in random order, so you're back half may not be everyone else's back half.

But yeah, there were some misses, but overall I really enjoyed it.
He won. Period.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

stessier wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:12 pm Thunder Force with Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer is terrible.
I don't think anyone anywhere ever expected any different.
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 am My wife wanted to watch Thunder Force this weekend, so we did. It was . . . decent. The plot wasn't much, but it had some good laughs in it. Granted, I think you have to have a high tolerance for McCarthy doing McCarthy things, as she turns it up to 11 for this movie. (You should also have a high tolerance for Jason Bateman doing Jason Bateman comedy things, although not as intense as McCarthy.) Octavia Spencer is largely reduced to a role as a straight (wo)man, but she helps to keep things grounded so that McCarthy can go nuts.
I love Bateman in comedic roles (actually any role). But I can't stand McCarthy most of the time.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Congrats to McCarthy for defying the Hollywood stereotype. Too bad she is about as funny as a parking ticket.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I enjoyed the couple seasons of Mike and Molly that I watched.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:53 am
stessier wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:12 pm Thunder Force with Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer is terrible.
I don't think anyone anywhere ever expected any different.
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 am My wife wanted to watch Thunder Force this weekend, so we did. It was . . . decent. The plot wasn't much, but it had some good laughs in it. Granted, I think you have to have a high tolerance for McCarthy doing McCarthy things, as she turns it up to 11 for this movie. (You should also have a high tolerance for Jason Bateman doing Jason Bateman comedy things, although not as intense as McCarthy.) Octavia Spencer is largely reduced to a role as a straight (wo)man, but she helps to keep things grounded so that McCarthy can go nuts.
I love Bateman in comedic roles (actually any role). But I can't stand McCarthy most of the time.
I mention the "Bateman comedy things" because while I enjoy his comedic stylings, they're pretty one-note. Whether he's playing the befuddled dad trying to keep the family business going in Arrested Development or a small-time gangster with crab claws for arms in Thunder Force, he's always Jason Bateman in a comedic role. I never forget for a moment that it's Bateman doing his shtick, if that makes sense. (I limit it to comedy because I've never watched much of his dramatic stuff.) So while you'd probably like his work in Thunder Force, I suspect it would be overwhelmed by McCarthy. She's pretty much the same way for me, except moreso. I'm good with her, though, so I enjoyed the movie.

And while I wasn't actually expecting to like the movie (I was doing my husbandly duty, only to be pleasantly surprised), my wife was expecting it to be good, so your first statement in the post is objectively false. :P
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:18 pm I mention the "Bateman comedy things" because while I enjoy his comedic stylings, they're pretty one-note. Whether he's playing the befuddled dad trying to keep the family business going in Arrested Development or a small-time gangster with crab claws for arms in Thunder Force, he's always Jason Bateman in a comedic role.
Watch The Gift then. And perhaps the mini series The Outsider on HBO. In the former he plays against his comedic chops to create a truly chilling character, while in The Outsider he plays a man who may or may not be really awful. In neither role is he playing a befuddled dad or goofy character.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:37 pm while in The Outsider he plays a man who may or may not be really awful.
Same could be said of Marty Byrde. Also I was today years old when I learned he was on Little House on the Prairie.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I watched The Outsider and enjoyed it. He's definitely not doing "Jason Bateman comedy things" in that show, though, so I'm not sure how much it would influence my opinion on the subject. ;) Is The Gift the one with the spelling bee or something like that?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, that was Bad Words, which was also quite good. In that one he plays it for comedy...but viciously so. Definitely not a befuddled or goofy character.

The Gift is a low budget psychological thriller from 2015 made by the underrated Australian actor and filmmaker Joel Edgerton. Bateman plays an average married guy in the suburbs who suddenly comes across someone from his childhood (Edgerton) who seems really eager to be his friend. I'm not going to say any more as it would ruin the twists. It received quite a bit of positive critical and audience reviews (91 percent rating on RT).

Bateman has quite a bit of depth in his acting ability, in my opinion. He can veer from comedic to serious in a heartbeat. And he's got an edge that comes out when he's doing the serious stuff that separates him from many of his peers.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:50 pm No, that was Bad Words, which was equally excellent. In that one he plays it for comedy...but viciously so. Definitely not a befuddled or goofy character.

The Gift is a low budget psychological thriller from 2015 made by the underrated Australian actor and filmmaker Joel Edgerton. Bateman plays an average married guy in the suburbs who suddenly comes across someone from his childhood (Edgerton) who seems really eager to be his friend. I'm not going to say any more as it would ruin the twists. It received quite a bit of positive critical and audience reviews (91 percent rating on RT).

Bateman has quite a bit of depth in his acting ability, in my opinion. He can veer from comedic to serious in a heartbeat. And he's got an edge that comes out when he's doing the serious stuff that separates him from many of his peers.
So The Gift isn't relevant to what I was discussing either. I was specifically limiting it to his comedic roles.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I agree he is a one trick pony in his comedic roles, but as they say, "it's a hell of a trick." I just love him in everything, so the sameness of his comedy doesn't bother me. I also love child actor success stories, so I've always been a fan.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:57 pm
So The Gift isn't relevant to what I was discussing either. I was specifically limiting it to his comedic roles.
Then Bad Words might be a better example then.
Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:07 pm Congrats to McCarthy for defying the Hollywood stereotype. Too bad she is about as funny as a parking ticket.
She's very funny. She just has a bad habit of letting her husband make many of her choices. As I wrote earlier, Spy is hilarious. And she was a scene stealer in Bridesmaids as well. But she keeps accepting all these really awful scripts.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm I agree he is a one trick pony in his comedic roles, but as they say, "it's a hell of a trick." I just love him in everything, so the sameness of his comedy doesn't bother me. I also love child actor success stories, so I've always been a fan.
I love him, too. I'm not trying to put him down in any way. I didn't realize he was in Thunder Force until the movie started, so it raised my hopes a bit. I mostly mentioned it because I know that there are people out there who dislike his style, and if I was cautioning my "it wasn't bad" review with a warning about McCarthy's style it seemed fair to warn about his, too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't think a warning about Thunder Force is really necessary. That ship sailed with the release of the first trailer. :P
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Carpet_pissr »

“Bad Words” made me literally spew beverage.

Multiple belly laugh moments even on second viewing. But according to my fam, I’m absurdly easy when it comes to that, so YMMV.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:12 pm I don't think a warning about Thunder Force is really necessary. That ship sailed with the release of the first trailer. :P
Well, I've seen it and I said it was decent. I don't want someone to take my word for it and then come and hunt me down because they don't like McCarthy or Bateman. Quite honestly, if you do like McCarthy and Bateman, I'd recommend the movie regardless of the trailer. It's not a classic or anything, but it's got some laughs in it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No harm intended. Just playing along with the Thunder Force hate. :wink:

Although I'm betting I watch at least a few minutes of it to see if it's as bad as everyone (else) is saying.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Stick with it at least until Bateman's introduction. If you're not digging it after that, cut your losses and bail.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You're talking to a guy who still thinks Hot Tub Time Machine II is a great comedy....

(and I'm serious about that)
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I'm old enough (though still 4 years younger than Jason Bateman) to remember watching him as a recurring guest on Silver Spoons and his own shortlived sitcom It's Your Move. I daresay his comedic performances on them were different than today. So at the very least he must be (or at least was) a two trick pony! :)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm And she was a scene stealer in Bridesmaids as well. But she keeps accepting all these really awful scripts.
That's not hard in that shit show of a movie. It was just awful. Like watching the worst Peter Griffin skits on repeat.

Hot Tub Time Machine was a fantastic comedy by comparison. It was actually fun to watch.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To each their own. Bridesmaids was widely acclaimed.

And I'm talking about Hot Tub Time Machine II. While I liked the first one, the second one is an absurd ensemble comedy that apparently only I like when I look at reviews. However, I'm not going to say everyone else is wrong in hating it.
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:52 am To each their own. Bridesmaids was widely acclaimed.
In fairness, his characterization was literally accurate. :D

I didn't like it either, but not quite that harshly.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:52 am To each their own. Bridesmaids was widely acclaimed.
In fairness, his characterization was literally accurate. :D
As is mine. :wink:

edit: ah, now i realize what scene you're referring to. :lol:
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just finished watching Seventh Son which reunites Jeff Bridges and Julianne Moore in a sword and sorcery trope. I resisted this for a while because it looked too cheesy even for my tastes, but it was definitely watchable. Especially impressive was Bridges' entire performance with a mouth full of rocks.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Synchronic is available now. A really good sci-fi film from one of my favorite directing teams, Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson. They also made the even better films The Endless and Spring (among others). Highly recommended.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:14 pm The Woman in the Window - thriller

Now coming to Netflix on May 14th.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:47 pm Synchronic is available now. A really good sci-fi film from one of my favorite directing teams, Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson. They also made the even better films The Endless and Spring (among others). Highly recommended.
I'm 16 minutes in right now.

Edit: That was straight out of a Philip K. Dick universe. Ending was a little sappy, but a great ride.
Last edited by Jaymann on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:14 pm The Woman in the Window - thriller

Now coming to Netflix on May 14th.
Looks good. Modern take on one of my fave Hitchcock movies, maybe? (Rear Window)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:57 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:47 pm Synchronic is available now. A really good sci-fi film from one of my favorite directing teams, Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson. They also made the even better films The Endless and Spring (among others). Highly recommended.
I'm 16 minutes in right now.

Edit: That was straight out of a Philip K. Dick universe. Ending was a little sappy, but a great ride.
I loved
Spoiler:
The experimentation for simply where to stand when traveling back in time. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a film with time travel include that mechanic.
Look for their other films. They’re all really good. They obviously respect the genres they work in a great deal and it really shows. The Endless is probably my favorite of their films. But if you find it, also try to watch their other film Resolution first as there’s a connection between the two.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

FWIW, I saw that there's an upcoming followup to Wild Wild Country, the documentary series about the Oregon cult.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/searc ... 234629905/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Shadow and Bone (excellent YA-ish series) starts Friday:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80236319
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:10 pm Shadow and Bone (excellent YA-ish series) starts Friday:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80236319
Daughter and I are just starting this. Episode one threw a whole bunch of characters at us but we’re liking what we’re seeing. Episode 2 is a little tighter now that the intro episode is out of the way. I do like the world building in the show.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m watching the first episode now. It’s basically The Last Airbender so far. When’s the bald kid show up?
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Watched Stowaway this weekend. I liked it. Very simple, but it worked for me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:32 am Watched Stowaway this weekend. I liked it. Very simple, but it worked for me.
Same here, and I can't stand Anna Kendrick. Once you get past the ridiculous original premise, it works. And I object to:
Spoiler:
Zero backup parts for the most crucial system on the ship.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:53 am
stessier wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:32 am Watched Stowaway this weekend. I liked it. Very simple, but it worked for me.
Same here, and I can't stand Anna Kendrick. Once you get past the ridiculous original premise, it works. And I object to:
Spoiler:
Zero backup parts for the most crucial system on the ship.
Spoiler:
They kind-of addressed this, by pointing out that the ship was actually designed to carry two people, not three. The company was seriously pushing the boundary by going to three, and then suddenly there are four, plus a broken part. Had the ship had the originally-specced two crew members, losing the CO2 scrubber would effectively have simply been losing the backup.
Of course, the script required things to be this way, so that's why they were this way.

I also enjoyed it. Didn't knock my socks off, but it was worth the watch for a space nerd like me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Coming 5/14

I didn't watch the first season until sometime during the pandemic (it's all blurring together for me now), but I really liked it. I also didn't realize the first one was originally going to be a sequel to HEAVY METAL. Regardless, really looking forward to this as well.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:52 am Daughter and I are just starting this. Episode one threw a whole bunch of characters at us but we’re liking what we’re seeing. Episode 2 is a little tighter now that the intro episode is out of the way. I do like the world building in the show.
I enjoyed it but I've also read the two books she has written about the trio from Ketterdam so I wasn't overwhelmed with introductions. I hope there is a second season.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Madmarcus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:41 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:52 am Daughter and I are just starting this. Episode one threw a whole bunch of characters at us but we’re liking what we’re seeing. Episode 2 is a little tighter now that the intro episode is out of the way. I do like the world building in the show.
I enjoyed it but I've also read the two books she has written about the trio from Ketterdam so I wasn't overwhelmed with introductions. I hope there is a second season.
I just want more Six of Crows stuff. Give me more fantasy heists, damn it. Also, those are the most interesting characters by far.