Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by Blackhawk »

Fuck Fresca.

The Boys went out with a bang. Can't wait for next season. And the casting on that show is brilliant.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought the show dragged a bit compared to last season, but that last episode really made up for it.

The Deep still cracks me up.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:17 pm Fuck Fresca.

The Boys went out with a bang. Can't wait for next season. And the casting on that show is brilliant.
Nice twist on eliminating:
Spoiler:
Stormfront. Although they left it open for some kind of regeneration situation.
One thing confused me though:
Spoiler:
They showed someone escaping from the Vought facility who was exploding heads with a finger snap. Later they revealed the Congresswoman to have this power. They can't be the same person, can they?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wondered the same thing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think the ending was intentionally ambiguous. Think back to the scene in the court room where everything went down. The person in question didn't look anything like what happened at the end of S2 when they were implying they were responsible.

I think they left it wide open on all accounts - that even and how the other story ended.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Spoiler:
I went back and re-watched all of the headsploding scenes. The first was the government contact and we didn't see how that happened. The second was in the facility when Cindy got out. The third was the courtroom. The fourth was L Ron at the end.

The first was just a mystery. For the third and fourth, the Congresswoman was present, and they pretty heavily implied it was her in the fourth. That just leaves the facility and Cindy. After doing some reading and rewatching, I'm pretty sure that Cindy was intentional misdirection, intended to get us to make an assumption. Cindy doesn't explode anyone's head. What Cindy does is crush things. She crushed doors, she crushed canisters. Squeezed them. The one exploding head we saw - and it was a very quick cut - looked more like she squeezed the guy and caused everything to fountain out, but the rest of the heads exploded from the inside, neatly leaving the body intact. Cindy leaves a mess, and Cindy isn't likely to be under anyone's careful control.

So Cindy was a diversion to get us to stop looking for the suspect, and the Congresswoman is the head-popper. Which means that season 3 will start with the fox in charge of the henhouse, which is much more interesting than if some crazy is popping people.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Great analysis, however:
Spoiler:
Cindy is still a wildcard, at loose in the bush.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On the matter of head exploding
Spoiler:
Since Compound V was heavily controlled by Voight they should know about her. That or she’s an off the books supe who’s the offspring of another supe.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:51 pm On the matter of head exploding
Spoiler:
Since Compound V was heavily controlled by Voight they should know about her. That or she’s an off the books supe who’s the offspring of another supe.
Given that she
Spoiler:
conveniently offed the sole witness that could hurt Voigt, I assumed that she was on their payroll. That was where the 'fox running the henhouse comment came from. The person in charge of keeping supes under control works for Voigt.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, I didn’t make the connection. That makes more sense.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:50 pm One thing confused me though:
Spoiler:
They showed someone escaping from the Vought facility who was exploding heads with a finger snap. Later they revealed the Congresswoman to have this power. They can't be the same person, can they?
Also
Spoiler:
they have shown that the supes power are often not unique. For example. in the first season they allude to there being something like 20 other speedsters. So I think it's likely more than one person as the ability to pop (or crush) heads.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Speaking of The Deep,
Spoiler:
What is going to happen to him now? His chance at redemption is gone. A-Train has seen the real Deep and knows that he can't trust him as he'll turn on anyone in a heartbeat to make himself look good. Does he turn into a supervillain?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Deep is essentially

Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't follow this thread closely, so forgive me if it's already been discussed: Anyone watching Utopia?

We saw the first episode last night and will most likely watch the second tonight. It seems like a clever and fairly original premise -- basically, a bunch of nerds who obsessively follow a comic find the original artwork, which might or might not be chronicling or causing the end of the world, and adventure ensues. I was intrigued despite some gaping plot holes.
Spoiler:
They introduce a LOT of characters, virtually all of them millennials, but most of them don't survive the first episode, so that's nice. My beef was with the sequence that begins with the child sneaking into the penthouse to steal the comic pages. First, he sweet-talks his way into the penthouse way too easily. When he finds it empty he gleefully starts playing with the remote that turns on the TV, the stereo, the fireplace, the hot tub/Jacuzzi (or whatever that pool was), the drapes, and more. When the occupant of the penthouse walks in, he sees nothing amiss, even though none of that stuff was on when he left. The kid remembers his mission and snags the comic, which is laying in plain sight on the bed...you'd think the guy who paid $20,000 for it, and who knows at least a dozen other people in the hotel want it, would have put it in a safe, or at least hidden it in his luggage...but I guess he must be as dumb as a box of rocks. Then, the killing spree that follows doesn't raise any alarms, even though it must've taken at least an hour to carry out.
I'll watch another episode or two, but if they don't crank up the believability a notch or two, I won't last the whole season.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched the British version it’s based on. That was pretty good. I’ll have to see how much they’ve changed it for American audiences.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The writing in the second Utopia ep was a little better. Maybe I just saw two :roll: moments because I was looking for them. But now Wife thinks it might be too violent for her. If the third ep makes her recoil and me roll my eyes, we're outta there.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I've see a few previews for Utopia, since Prime plays them periodically before the show (that and Upload). I finished Eureka and was debating something new to watch, but in the end decided to go watch Stargate SG-1 from the beginning. Since that's 10 seasons of 20+ episodes each, and I only watch one episode at a time when I'm working out, I'm good until next summer :D Might circle back to Utopia at some point, but probably not before The Boys.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:02 pm decided to go watch Stargate SG-1 from the beginning. Since that's 10 seasons of 20+ episodes each, and I only watch one episode at a time when I'm working out, I'm good until next summer :D
Don't forget the two films!
Tao

Post by Tao »

The preview for Utopia looked interesting and I hadn't seen Rainn Wilson in a while, I also like Dan Byrd so I fired up episode 1. Started out good and act 1 had my interest piqued, then midway through act 2 it got all mass murderey and I bailed.

Adam Sandler is an enigma to me, much like Will Ferrell, in that both have done some really good movies with good acting but both seem to prefer portraying over the top idiots. I was channel surfing a week or so ago around 3:00 AM and the movie Blended was on with Sandler and Drew Barrymore and it was another good rom-com. Thinking back, seems like anytime he does a movie with Drew Barrymore he dials down the idiocy and actually gives a good performance. I watched the Hubie Halloween trailer and as soon as I heard him doing the "idiot" voice I decided to skip it. Maybe Uncut Gems left him in a lurch and he needed some quick cash.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We agreed that we don't need to see a third episode to decide that we don't like Utopia. It's a live-action comic book; I get that. Loose logic and cartoon violence come with the territory. We just aren't comics fans and aren't enjoying the show. I do like the premise, but not the execution.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What the Constitution Means to Me just premiered today, free with Prime. Really excellent -- creative, thought-provoking, original, highly personal, and of course very very topical. You won't like it if you don't like plays, but if you do...don't miss it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JCC

Post by JCC »

Watched both seasons of The Boys over the last 5 or so Fridays. Pretty tremendous show. Glad it's been renewed for a 3rd season.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Stayed up way too late to wrap up The Boys. What an awesome show.
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:10 pm Sylvie's Love

Enlarge Image
Wait...Asomugah as in the former Raiders DB?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yes.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:25 am Stayed up way too late to wrap up The Boys. What an awesome show.
Funny, I did the same thing Friday night! It is outstanding!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:37 am My soul needs this

I watched this last night. Apparently Amazon releases on a GMT schedule and so shows are available ~9pm EST (not after midnight). Anyway, the Rudy scene is much worse than the still image. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone, but seeing the entire interaction and how you get to the point where that still photo came from shouldn't leave any doubt as to the circumstances.

I think the cupcake scene was my favorite, but overall it was quite enjoyable. Though I guess if you didn't like or see the first one, this one would be very confusing. Incidentally, the first one is available on Prime until 11/1.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just out of curiosity, is it possible that Rudy's explanation that he was just tucking in his shirt after taking off his microphone plausible and that the scene was edited to make it look worse? Or is it pretty clear he was perving out?
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:40 am Just out of curiosity, is it possible that Rudy's explanation that he was just tucking in his shirt after taking off his microphone plausible and that the scene was edited to make it look worse? Or is it pretty clear he was perving out?
Also, when he took off his Yankees World Series ring and slid it on his penis, did it appear to be just out of nervous habit or something else?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:40 am Just out of curiosity, is it possible that Rudy's explanation that he was just tucking in his shirt after taking off his microphone plausible and that the scene was edited to make it look worse? Or is it pretty clear he was perving out?
There was definitely some editing going on with the audio and how the set the scene up - like there were parts where you heard audio but didn't actually see them speaking. So, sure, that audio could have been taken out of context from a different part of the "interview" and spliced into the scene in question.

However....just watching how he interacts with her on camera during what he believes is the actual interview, it was pretty clear (to me) that he was hitting on her. Again, I don't believe he thought she was 15, but he was acting like a creepy old man before she invited him into the bedroom and he agreed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trust me, I despise Rudy and would love to see him pilloried. But I also hope Cohen isn't stooping to cheap editing tricks to make things look worse. That only serves to give Rudy some legitimacy I don't feel he deserves.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There were definitely editing choices made for parts, but I don't know how you can creatively "edit" the way Rudy absolutely touches her and flirts with her visibly on camera. There are things he absolutely says and ways that he touches her that are completely inappropriate.

And his reaction when Borat comes rushing in is what seals the deal.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:47 am Also, when he took off his Yankees World Series ring and slid it on his penis, did it appear to be just out of nervous habit or something else?
For those of us who are visual thinkers: Please stop saying stuff that makes us see stuff. :puke-front:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:34 pm

Spoilered for BH
Spoiler:
*soft metallic sound of Yankees World Series ring hitting the floor*
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I can't remember if this has been posted elsewhere, but seems appropriate here (sorry BH!).

Spoiler:
Rudy Giuliani Releases Video Of Himself Masturbating To Show What It Would Actually Look Like
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:50 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:34 pm

Spoilered for BH
Spoiler:
*soft metallic sound of Yankees World Series ring hitting the floor*
:lol: :clap:
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I honestly don't know what to think about that. When Rudy went into the bedroom it looked like there was a visible camera pointing right at the bed, so I don't believe he thought he was about to have sex. He certainly did seem to be flirting with her and I have no idea why he would move to the bed as that was clearly not appropriate though. It's all quite puzzling.