Stupid Disney and Their Deals

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Stupid Disney and Their Deals

Post by Jeff V »

Looks like my wife is intent on going through with a June trip to Disney World and has demanded I expend energy now in planning. The thing is, I don't really know what constitutes a good deal there. She showed me one that ranges from $3300-3700 (depending on hotel selected) including only a 4 day park hopper pass for all 4 of us. No other options were selected. Any opinions on this? Is now too early to be planning a mid-June trip (the site she went to did say no promos were yet released for those dates and would be applied if any are offered). We would likely be driving there.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:29 pm Looks like my wife is intent on going through with a June trip to Disney World and has demanded I expend energy now in planning. The thing is, I don't really know what constitutes a good deal there. She showed me one that ranges from $3300-3700 (depending on hotel selected) including only a 4 day park hopper pass for all 4 of us. No other options were selected. Any opinions on this? Is now too early to be planning a mid-June trip (the site she went to did say no promos were yet released for those dates and would be applied if any are offered). We would likely be driving there.
It is not too early. Use a Disney vacation planner/consultant (you don't pay anything; the Mouse gives them a commission). They know far better than you or we do when/where to expect deals, etc. I have a good one if you need a reference.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

That doesn’t sound outrageous. What hotel?

The thing I would stress to anyone traveling to Disney World is that in order to get your money’s worth you really have to put the work in planning what you are going to do. If you think you can go to Disney and wing it, you’re going to be miserable and come away hating it. Luckily, there are dozens of websites, podcasts, and YouTube channels all aimed at helping you plan. There are also travel agents that will work for you to get you the best deals and do all of the hard work for you. These agents are free to you, they get paid by Disney. So I would strongly consider finding one that you like and going with them.

Some real quick tips I would offer would be to book at an official Disney hotel. You get extra time in the parks, better transportation options, and you get first dibs at Fast Passes. You probably won’t find a deal for June, so I would book something now if it works for you. You can always cancel later. You also can get the Disney Dining Plan. If you like to eat, it’s a great offer. But it’s a ridiculous amount of food that you get. If you eat like a bird you might want to pay your own way.

And don’t go in expecting to see everything. We are Annual Pass holders and have been going on a regular basis for about a decade, and we haven’t come close to seeing everything Disney has to offer.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:37 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:29 pm Looks like my wife is intent on going through with a June trip to Disney World and has demanded I expend energy now in planning. The thing is, I don't really know what constitutes a good deal there. She showed me one that ranges from $3300-3700 (depending on hotel selected) including only a 4 day park hopper pass for all 4 of us. No other options were selected. Any opinions on this? Is now too early to be planning a mid-June trip (the site she went to did say no promos were yet released for those dates and would be applied if any are offered). We would likely be driving there.
It is not too early. Use a Disney vacation planner/consultant (you don't pay anything; the Mouse gives them a commission). They know far better than you or we do when/where to expect deals, etc. I have a good one if you need a reference.
This x100. I too have one if you don't like Zax's. :) The planners will also monitor prices and let you know if they drop and help you rebook if they do.

Also, this might be too late to start planning (not really, but reservations open 1 year in advance, so a lot of the stuff is harder to get now).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:12 pm This x100. I too have one if you don't like Zax's. :)
Pretty sure I got mine from you a few years back. We've since used her a 2nd time and have a 3rd in planning stages...
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:14 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:12 pm This x100. I too have one if you don't like Zax's. :)
Pretty sure I got mine from you a few years back. We've since used her a 2nd time and have a 3rd in planning stages...
Oh, well cool! :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can only add what others have said - use a planner. My wife, daughter and my parents all went to Disney in October of this year. Planning (and reservations for events) started in January or February (I think). Do not try to figure this out yourself; you don't have the capacity - it's insane. Also, good luck.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I did get her to consider an alternative (and likely a whole lot cheaper) itinerary. My kids are 6 and 3, and IMO, this is not the time for an all-in once-in-a-lifetime trip. The 3-year old will remember none of it and I can picture now the problems we're going to have starting mid-day as they run out of stamina.

So tentatively she agreed to a less Disney-centric trip. My suggestion is rent a time share (quick look at Air BnB has condos and villas within spitting distance for under $100 per night while the Disney resorts seem to start at $200). Spend one full day at Enchanted Castle -- it's what she and the kids most want to see. A 4-day stay in Orlando would include Sea World (I found a site selling tickets for $50 each with a bonus free day and paid parking), possibly Universal Studios (I'd probably not advance-plan a trip there as theme park fatigue might be an issue by day 3) and one or two days seeing some of the smaller attractions in the area before heading to the coast for a couple of days at a beach resort, maybe hitting Kennedy Space Center. For the nights spent in Orlando, going to Downtown Disney for dinner and music every night would be an option.

To me this seems a more reasonable approach at this time. By not going all-in on Disney, it also reduces the risk she will hate it after day 1 if the crowds prove insurmountable, only to be locked into 3 more days of the same. She can also decide if a future all-in trip is something she really wants to do given the cost (now, I'm driving to cut costs, but if we flew there the cost for a 6 day trip would approach that of a 2-week trip to the Philippines...something else she'd like to save for).

Whichever the case, her brain seems laser focused on this right now. I don't like planning anything when she's this locked in...we end up with bad decisions getting made because of self-imposed urgency. For starters, her planning has day 1 on Saturday June 13. There's a chance our kids dance recitals could be that day...I'm now waiting for the studio to let me know if there's a confirmed date yet for that show.
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Just keep in mind that Orlando is more spread out than many think. Disney and Universal aren’t right next to each other. I used to live right off of the Universal backlot, and Disney was just far enough away that it was annoying to drive. Plus, I4 sucks.

And driving around Disney Springs (previously known as Downtown Disney) is HORRIBLE. Because it is free, it is often just as crowded as the parks. I refuse to drive there in the evenings, so if you can stay at a place that has transportation you’ll be fine.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I've been to Orlando plenty of times on business, and I'm familiar with the traffic and distances. I'm coming from a place where everything is a long drive and traffic that driving nearly an hour just to go to dinner isn't all that uncommon. That said, the latest plan offered is a hybrid one. The complete back-of-the-envelope itinerary looks like this:

Friday - leave Chicago early, spend evening having dinner with friends and overnight in Atlanta (~12 hours travel)
Saturday - leave Atlanta early and check-in to Disney hotel for 2 nights. (~8 hours travel). Enjoy hotel amenities and the strip formerly known as Downtown Disney for dinner and music.
Sunday - Enchanted Castle
Monday - Check out and relocate to another hotel for 2 nights. Spacer day, no plans, might see some lesser sights in the area.
Tuesday - Sea World
Wednesday - Unplanned day - either more small attractions or possibly Universal Studios if we have the energy (are there any decent water parks in the area?)
Thursday - head to the coast, stop at Kennedy Space Center enroute to beachfront hotel/resort probably in the Cocoa Beach area.
Friday - Beach day
Saturday - start return trip home - possibly overnight in Atlanta again.
Sunday - welcome home!

With this plan, my question would be whether there's value in engaging a planner if just for 2 nights and one park day?
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can you please film the exchange you have in a car with your 6 and 3 year old when you explain to them your familiarity with driving, distances and sitting in traffic?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

A lot of the better water parks closed down, but both Disney and Universal have options. Disney has Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. Universal has Volcano Bay, which is relatively new. I’ve not been there yet.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

msteelers wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:36 pm A lot of the better water parks closed down, but both Disney and Universal have options. Disney has Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. Universal has Volcano Bay, which is relatively new. I’ve not been there yet.
IMO, Blizzard Beach is the more young-kid friendly one.

And you have young kids...Legoland might be more entertaining for them than KSC.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We're going to Williamsburg after Christmas for 3 days. With hotel and tax 417 dollars for 3 people. That includes 2 day park passes with free parking and 2 dinners per person. It's supposed to be amazing and we love that place. I just don't know how they make money. Only meal I have to cover is lunch.

We will be in Delaware so I figured the 4 hour drive there won't be horrible.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

A coupe of years ago, I got a good deal on Disney World multi-day park hopper tickets on undercovertourist.com - but I was only buying park passes (no resort, dining or anything else).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's pretty rare to find any kind of deal now. I bet they phase out the free dining. That's an awesome deal when you can get it. That's why we always webt towards the end of August.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:35 pm Can you please film the exchange you have in a car with your 6 and 3 year old when you explain to them your familiarity with driving, distances and sitting in traffic?
They were perfectly fine a year and a half ago when we drove 16 hours straight to New York. They are used to sleeping in the car during long trips. We try to stop at least every two hours for a break. It's really been a non-issue with them. The biggest problem lately is I like to listen to audiobooks, some which may contain the occasional bit of adult language. This will sometimes spur my 6 year old into shouting "daddy! He said a bad word! Turn it off! Turn it off NOW!"

Tomorrow is going to be another not-uncommon example. Wife wants to go to the Filipino Supermarket, which is on the north side of the city, approximately 90 minute drive each way. The kids have no problem with this -- we make this trip at least once, sometimes twice a month.
Last edited by Jeff V on Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hentzau wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:53 pm And you have young kids...Legoland might be more entertaining for them than KSC.
I was going to take them to Legoland in Schaumburg a few weeks ago, but wound up going to the DuPage Kid's Museum when a friend said his kids BTDT and were unimpressed by Legoland. Still might visit there sometime over the winter, just not with that friend. It's going to be a Lego Xmas for the kids, so they'll be more primed after Presents Day.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Octavious wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:01 pm We're going to Williamsburg after Christmas for 3 days. With hotel and tax 417 dollars for 3 people. That includes 2 day park passes with free parking and 2 dinners per person. It's supposed to be amazing and we love that place. I just don't know how they make money. Image Only meal I have to cover is lunch.

I'd love to have that option -- but it's all about the rat. And I did try shield them from the rat; I've never had a particular affinity for anything Disney and a 6' rat to me was always something low level characters invariably had to slog through in a D&D dungeon grind. My wife betrayed me though, and as soon as she lit the match it ignited a bonfire of Disney adoration in my kids. For several years now my now 6-year old actively seeks out old B&W Mickey Mouse cartoons from the 1930's. And my daughter has very few things that are NOT Minnie Mouse related.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:53 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:01 pm We're going to Williamsburg after Christmas for 3 days. With hotel and tax 417 dollars for 3 people. That includes 2 day park passes with free parking and 2 dinners per person. It's supposed to be amazing and we love that place. I just don't know how they make money. Image Only meal I have to cover is lunch.

I'd love to have that option -- but it's all about the rat. And I did try shield them from the rat; I've never had a particular affinity for anything Disney and a 6' rat to me was always something low level characters invariably had to slog through in a D&D dungeon grind. My wife betrayed me though, and as soon as she lit the match it ignited a bonfire of Disney adoration in my kids. For several years now my now 6-year old actively seeks out old B&W Mickey Mouse cartoons from the 1930's. And my daughter has very few things that are NOT Minnie Mouse related.
We have been to Disney and Williamsburg about even times with my daughter 4 each I think.... She likes Williamsburg better. Probably because we can live like kings when we go. The last time we rented a gigantic condo with family and it cost us almost nothing. I always recommend it to anyone that likes history and amusement parks. Bonus points for this trip is she has no idea we're going. We're going to my mom's and then we're pretending that we have to head back home for something. She probably will stare at her phone for 4 hours and have no idea until we get there. :lol:

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hey, we're looking at a Disney trip as well, likely in Aprl. What's the deal with the meal plans? I tend to be dismissive about that sort of thing, but I've heard a few rumors that they're good deals? How do they compare cost-wise to just buying one's own food?
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We like the standard plan. Still a ton of food. The top plan is just nuts.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:18 am Hey, we're looking at a Disney trip as well, likely in Aprl. What's the deal with the meal plans? I tend to be dismissive about that sort of thing, but I've heard a few rumors that they're good deals? How do they compare cost-wise to just buying one's own food?
You can save a ton of money if you buy your own food, or even bring your own food into the parks, but there's a decent amount of value built into the plan. You get a certain amount of credits based on the length of your trip. Without looking up the exact info, everyone gets 1 snack credit, 1 quick service credit, and 1 table service credit per day. It's a TON of food. Keep in mind though that you don't have to use those credits each day. If you're there for 5 days, you'll start with 5 snack credits, 5 quick service credits, and 5 table service credits. Some of the fancier restaurants use 2 table credits.

If you're a foodie and want to try a bunch of different restaurants (which I encourage) then this is a good deal and worth doing. If you are a light eater though, you'll be better off skipping it.

And like all things Disney, there are several great blogs and info available online that outline the deal and the best way to get the most value out of it. We like Disney Food Blog. Their website is trash, but their YouTube videos are solid.
RMC

Post by RMC »

msteelers wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:39 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:18 am Hey, we're looking at a Disney trip as well, likely in Aprl. What's the deal with the meal plans? I tend to be dismissive about that sort of thing, but I've heard a few rumors that they're good deals? How do they compare cost-wise to just buying one's own food?
You can save a ton of money if you buy your own food, or even bring your own food into the parks, but there's a decent amount of value built into the plan. You get a certain amount of credits based on the length of your trip. Without looking up the exact info, everyone gets 1 snack credit, 1 quick service credit, and 1 table service credit per day. It's a TON of food. Keep in mind though that you don't have to use those credits each day. If you're there for 5 days, you'll start with 5 snack credits, 5 quick service credits, and 5 table service credits. Some of the fancier restaurants use 2 table credits.

If you're a foodie and want to try a bunch of different restaurants (which I encourage) then this is a good deal and worth doing. If you are a light eater though, you'll be better off skipping it.

And like all things Disney, there are several great blogs and info available online that outline the deal and the best way to get the most value out of it. We like Disney Food Blog. Their website is trash, but their YouTube videos are solid.
I'll also add if you are doing character meals, the meal plan pays for itself very quickly. Those character meals are expansive, and the meal plan treats them as just a regular sit down meal. As the kids have gotten older, the meal plan is not as valuable to us, since a quick burger and fry, or even a pizza ordered in at night meet the needs of us for our "big" meal.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Reading this stuff, I'm struck with a thought.

I already have a job. The last thing I want is a second job planning a vacation and a vacation that feels like work. Am I missing something?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Reading this stuff, I'm struck with a thought.

I already have a job. The last thing I want is a second job planning a vacation and a vacation that feels like work. Am I missing something?
That's why they provide the Disney-paid vacation planners. When we went in 2016 it was basically tell her our dates and what we wanted to hit in broad strokes. She guided us the rest of the way.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It’s not really much different planning a Disney vacation vs a regular vacation. You’re researching hotels, flights, restaurants, itineraries... It’s just on steroids because Disney is super expensive and there’s so much to do that if you go in without a plan you will feel ripped off and not understand the appeal.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:07 pm Reading this stuff, I'm struck with a thought.

Some of us look at it as a war-game. Planning your vacation campaign. It's almost like a hobby.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:11 pm

That's why they provide the Disney-paid vacation planners. When we went in 2016 it was basically tell her our dates and what we wanted to hit in broad strokes. She guided us the rest of the way.
It's really not that bad, and my entire family enjoys the planning. It kinda makes the vacation start earlier, and ramps up the anticipation. Also, it really invested my kids for certain rides/restraunts, since they choose them. And you get to make spreadsheets, I love me some spreadsheets. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

RMC wrote:It kinda makes the vacation start earlier, and ramps up the anticipation.
That’s a good point. Knowing that we have something coming up that we can look forward to and plan is often just as good as the actual vacation. Especially for my wife, who needs the escapism sometimes.
RMC

Post by RMC »

msteelers wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:22 pm
RMC wrote:It kinda makes the vacation start earlier, and ramps up the anticipation.
That’s a good point. Knowing that we have something coming up that we can look forward to and plan is often just as good as the actual vacation. Especially for my wife, who needs the escapism sometimes.
You tube and podcasts are really ways to allow everyone to have fun choosing as well. There are tons of them out there for Disney, and most of them are fun. My kids still listen to some of the podcasts, and watch a few You Tubers that are Disney centric.
Zarathud

Stupid Disney and Their Deals

Post by Zarathud »

Taking little ones to the character breakfast early in a trip is smart. If you don’t have a plan for dealing with the Disney characters, the kid will want to spend HOURS in line seeing their favorites. It’s much better to tell them “we’re seeing the Princess tonight/tomorrow” and instead we’re going on this ride/show.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:29 pm Taking little ones to the character breakfast early in a trip is smart. If you don’t have a plan for dealing with the Disney characters, the kid will want to spend HOURS in line seeing their favorites. It’s much better to tell them “we’re seeing the Princess tonight/tomorrow” and instead we’re going on this ride/show.
Eleventy-one times this.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

WeRe: Stupid Disney and Their Deals

Post by LawBeefaroni »

msteelers wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:16 pm It’s not really much different planning a Disney vacation vs a regular vacation. You’re researching hotels, flights, restaurants, itineraries... It’s just on steroids because Disney is super expensive and there’s so much to do that if you go in without a plan you will feel ripped off and not understand the appeal.
I've never planned a vacation like that. I just pick a place, a date and get a room. Restaurants? Itineraries? I'm getting a cold sweat.

Maybe it's just that I don't deal well with structured vacations. The most structure I've had in the past 2 decades was "we'll go fishing in the morning" and maybe "we will have to catch a ferry on Saturday."

And waiting in a long line on a vacation...like I said, I'm almost breaking out in a sweat right now.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So you pay someone to be your boss for a week? :wink:

I get it, it's just me. My struggle is that the kids may love it so I may have to bite the bullet. One of my best friends goes a few times a year with his family, I may just sign us up for when he goes and let them lead.

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:48 pm

So you pay someone to be your boss for a week? :wink:
No, the planning service is free. Disney pays them. But you still get all the discounts/promotions they can find. It's kind of magic how it works. And pretty fantastic. The planners visit Disney multiple times per year and get behind the scenes looks at all the new attractions and future plans so they can answer questions about everything and help you plan the most efficient trip.
Scuzz

Re: WeRe: Stupid Disney and Their Deals

Post by Scuzz »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:45 pm
msteelers wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:16 pm It’s not really much different planning a Disney vacation vs a regular vacation. You’re researching hotels, flights, restaurants, itineraries... It’s just on steroids because Disney is super expensive and there’s so much to do that if you go in without a plan you will feel ripped off and not understand the appeal.
I've never planned a vacation like that. I just pick a place, a date and get a room. Restaurants? Itineraries? I'm getting a cold sweat.

Maybe it's just that I don't deal well with structured vacations. The most structure I've had in the past 2 decades was "we'll go fishing in the morning" and maybe "we will have to catch a ferry on Saturday."

And waiting in a long line on a vacation...like I said, I'm almost breaking out in a sweat right now.
That is pretty much me as well. I will plan locations and have a few ideas but I don't plan everything out. I might look at food around where I am for options but I don't make reservations. I am sure I miss things, but I also don't feel like I am on a schedule when I should be relaxing.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

For me Disney is not relaxing unless there's a plan. There's so much crap going on that if you try and wing it then it goes to poo. Especially with how the fast passes work out. I never really minded planning it out myself. I mean my job is a project manager so it's kind of second nature to me at this point. :lol:

For example if I have the dining plan (which I usually do) I plan what restaurants I want to eat at first and that sets what days I'm at what parks. I then do the fast passes off that. It's really not that complicated and doesn't take a ton of time. It's super easy to just cancel a reservation or move things if you have to anyway. For some of the restaurants the only way you are going to get in is to have made a reservation way up front. (Be Our Guest) is a good example.

disarm

Post by disarm »

We've done Disney with kids a couple of times, and my wife and I have gone alone before. While I do think some planning is necessary, I think a lot of people get caught up in the hype and worry too much. The only things you really have to worry about are reservations if you want specific restaurants (especially character meals), or Fast Passes for the most popular rides (new Star Wars, Avatar). You can still have a great time being spontaneous. You have to accept that you might not experience everything, but there's still more than enough opportunity to have a great time.

That said, if your trip is a "once in a lifetime" event, starting early and planning it all out will keep you from missing out.
Last edited by disarm on Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:29 pm Taking little ones to the character breakfast early in a trip is smart. If you don’t have a plan for dealing with the Disney characters, the kid will want to spend HOURS in line seeing their favorites. It’s much better to tell them “we’re seeing the Princess tonight/tomorrow” and instead we’re going on this ride/show.
I seem to recall them roaming free in Downtown Disney, is this no longer the case?

A year ago we did this charity walk and there were 4 Disney princesses, my daughter could not get enough of them, hugging them at every opportunity. This year, they might as well been chain-saw wielding Jason from Friday the 13th, she wanted absolutely nothing to do with them. She'd like to see Ms. Rat though.

I can't fathom a benefit from over planning such a trip. Any meticulous battle plan never survives contact with the enemy. With kids too young and temperamental, committing to to too much is more a recipe for disaster than not committing to anything at all.

I'm quite sure line-waiting will get tedious really quick with them, and that's the #1 reason not to go all-in at Disney.
Black Lives Matter