Stupid Disney and Their Deals

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Stupid Disney and Their Deals

Post by Zaxxon »

Disney may be crazy expensive, but certain things make it seem worthwhile...

Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Zaxxon wrote:Disney may be crazy expensive, but certain things make it seem worthwhile...

Having been raised within an hour of Orlando, I've visited the different Disney parks dozens of times. I have been on 3 Disney cruises, have eaten at their restaurants, and shopped in their stores.

Bottom line, Disney has magic that very few, if any, can duplicate. It's expensive and over priced, but they do things right. You can't go wrong putting your money at Disney.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I took my daughter to Disneyworld last April. I had some travel awards from work, so we went big. First class flight, Port Orleans Riverside royal suite. A fantastic trip all around. Took the Disney bus from airport to the hotel, that was awesome, not having to worry about driving or renting a car or parking. Everyday we took the bus from the hotel to whichever park we were going to. 2 days at Epcot, one day at a waterpark, I forget which one (it had a ski mountian theme) 2 days at Magic Kingdom. After the first day of waiting in line for bag check, we went without bags for the rest of the trip, and it was worth it. Yes, buying drinks and snacks instead of bringing them in was more expensive, but not starting the day by waiting in a 45 minute line was amazing.
She is into space and science stuff, so we went mission to mars twice, space mountain twice, and the test track twice. We also got a lot, but not all, of the classic rides. Pirates of the Caribbean, Small World, Minecart something, etc. We had splash mountain on fast pass, but by the time that came up, we were done and skipped it.
We particularly enjoyed the wizard quest at magic kingdom, running around trying to defeat the evil sorcerers. We had a huge pile of spell cards, but all she wanted to use was the Evee laser blast.

The best part for me was the princess dinner at ankush. I got to have another photo of her with Ariel. The photos are 8 years apart, maybe I can get one more of them together in another 8 years. I didn't know when I made the reservation that it was a Norway themed place. That was the highlight of the trip for me, the Norway style dinner threw me back to my childhood and eating Christmas dinner at my grandmothers house. Then I went nuts in the Norway gift shop. I didn't realize how many trolls I needed until I saw how many trolls they had for sale.

For her, the highlight (besides Mission to Mars) was the french bakery where she got a meringue the size of her head.

As a parent, having a child safe pool with lifeguards on duty was amazing. this was the pool at Port Orleans Riverside (which was mentioned before) When I got tired of crowds and people and children and walking, we went to the pool. I sat in a comfy beach chair, and pulled my hat down. She went nuts with water slide and dance party. Our first trip to the pool, I was a very attentive parent, as is my style. But I witnessed how closely and carefully the lifeguards were on duty, I was able to relax and get some personal unwinding done, while she had a great time.

I particularly enjoyed the fastpass program, and the magic bands. The magic bands allowed us to roam the parks freely with a minimum of baggage and fuss. I carried my ID of course, but I never needed it, just point the wrist, and everything is taken care of, even having all those trolls delivered to my hotel room.

Our trip was not a cheap trip, but I planned it as an amazing first class experience to remember forever, and that is exactly how it ended up. Now, what to do with all these freaking trolls.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enlarge Image
Forever will I remember the hairy-leg pirate on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, from my very first childhood ride there, 40 years ago, until adulthood.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rip wrote:
Jiminy cricket...I wouldn't wait in line 5 hours for an amazing blowjob, much less a ride.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Longest I waited for anything my entire trip was 20 minutes. You just have to know what you are doing. And one of those things would be to not wait in a 5 hour line. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, when we went, we walked on to some of the rides that earlier in the day you could wait for hours to get onto the ride.

We rode the Frozen ride, and waited maybe 15 minutes, we just planned in advance and had a fast pass.

Also - My three kids, 12,9, and 7 (all girls) thought the ride was okay, but not even worth the 15 minutes we waited. Harsh considering my 7 year old has everything Frozen, and loves the movie.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The sing-along was way more betterer.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote:The sing-along was way more betterer.
heh. I agree it was betterer. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At age 12, the school carted us from Vegas to Six Flags Magic Mountain. The Ninja had just opened. While I did wander by it several times that day, the length of the line successfully dissuaded me from ever entering it. I had one day to run the park, and I wasn't going to spend half of it on waiting for one ride.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Zaxxon wrote:The sing-along was way more betterer.
Secondeded
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Heading to WDW at the end of August. The last time we were there (5 years ago) we stayed at the Polynesian, and had just the best time. I'm afraid it spoiled me for staying in a non-deluxe resort now. So we're staying at the Grand Floridian this year. We wanted to get back into the Poly, but all of the room rates were really jacked up there. I blame Moana.

I just had this little advert show up. I think my kids are a little too old for this now, but still fun. Outrageously expensive, but fun.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Last week of August is a great time to go. We're actually planning on hitting Williamsburg the last week of August this year. I just don't have the money or time to haul all the way down to Disney again this year. Even if it's tempting. And yes once you stay in a hotel on the monorail you are ruined forever. The poly was my fav as you can walk to the ticket and transportation center. (Which is A LOT harder after a trip around the world in Epcot). :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, when I was booking the trip, I had my heart set on the Polynesian, but the only rooms available were almost $300 a night more expensive than the Grand Floridian (which is INSANE.) My eldest daughter (now 21) is thrilled because she's wanted to stay there ever since she was a little girl. I'm bummed because I won't have Dole Whip within walking distance. :)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well you can take the monorail to the Poly. 1st world problems and all that. ;) 300 bucks a night more? That's crazypants. Guess the prices on the Poly went us since I last stayed there.

Just checked. 456 a night for the cheapest room! Wow ya no...

RMC

Post by RMC »

We will be in Disney in June, so less than 30 days. Unfortunately with a family of 5 and this time with 3 additional people we just can't afford the deluxe resorts. We stay at the moderates, and get the deals my wife finds. This time it was a bounce back offer, and we got the rooms(2, 4 person rooms) at a discount, and free dining for the whole party.

We are staying at Coronado Springs this time, and while it is a little bit of a haul from the parks, it is close to Animal Kingdom, and they are doing the Pandora at night thing for all resort guests in June, so it might be kind of cool.

The only thing we really want is adjoining rooms, so the kids can bounce back and forth between the two rooms. Hope that happens. :)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've dreamed of getting a bounce back offer...
RMC

Post by RMC »

hentzau wrote:I've dreamed of getting a bounce back offer...
My wife and kids are kind of stuck on Disney. We have gone 4 of the last 5 years. <sigh>

So we get all kinds of offers and bounce back things, etc.. This trip was scheduled from our hotel room last year.

Disney has my wife's number. But I kind of made it clear, that no more Disney for a few years. I like Disney, but man is it expensive.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We only go every 5 years or so (celebrate big events like my promotion this year and my wife and my 30th wedding anniversary.) But we all have a really great time. It is STUPIDLY expensive. But so damn much fun, when your kids are big enough that they are fairly self-sufficient.

My worry this trip is myself. My back and knees have been getting progressively worse over the past 5 years. This may be a pretty rough trip.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RMC wrote:
hentzau wrote:I've dreamed of getting a bounce back offer...
My wife and kids are kind of stuck on Disney. We have gone 4 of the last 5 years. <sigh>
Suddenly I feel less bad that we did WDW in 2016 and WDL in 2017. :D
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The dining deal for the fall was announced a few weeks ago. It's a great deal if you can get it.

The wife and I have our annual passes. We just did the flower and garden festival at Epcot. It's a mini food and wine festival, so you get all the great food and drink, minus the crowds. We're running up again June 3rd before we get blacked out for the summer. The plan is to spend the night at the Boardwalk. Drinks at the lounges, dinner at the Italian place, and dessert... somewhere.

I'm looking forward to it.
RMC

Post by RMC »

msteelers wrote:The dining deal for the fall was announced a few weeks ago. It's a great deal if you can get it.

The wife and I have our annual passes. We just did the flower and garden festival at Epcot. It's a mini food and wine festival, so you get all the great food and drink, minus the crowds. We're running up again June 3rd before we get blacked out for the summer. The plan is to spend the night at the Boardwalk. Drinks at the lounges, dinner at the Italian place, and dessert... somewhere.

I'm looking forward to it.
Bummer, we don't get in until the 5th, otherwise we could have tried to meet up for at least a picture to prove that we both exist. :)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Heh. I'm pretty sure the blackouts start on the 5th.

I'm also pretty sure I don't exist, based on how people just walk right into me while at the parks.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, we're going to be arriving like the day before the dining plan starts, so that's not going to work out for us. And I can't push it out any further, my eldest is going to be showing up for college a day late as it is.

I did look at shortening the trip to take advantage of the dining plan, but then we lose the 25% discount on the room, so it's actually a bit of a wash. I think I'm paying like $250 more by getting the 25% discount and buying the dining plan separately.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

I understand Disney IS expensive but there is a lot of attention to detail, great customer service, and transportation all around. Without going into the parks, there still is a heap of entertainment to be had expecially around the boardwalk area. I'm sad (jonesin') because it's been 6 months since our visit, the magic of that place really has a hold on me. Think I'll reread this thread as a form of killing the withdrawal pain.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

KKBlue wrote:I understand Disney IS expensive but there is a lot of attention to detail, great customer service, and transportation all around. Without going into the parks, there still is a heap of entertainment to be had expecially around the boardwalk area. I'm sad (jonesin') because it's been 6 months since our visit, the magic of that place really has a hold on me. Think I'll reread this thread as a form of killing the withdrawal pain.
Yeah, my wife and I were discussing this several months ago as we rationalized our plan to visit a 2nd Disney park 7 months after we hit WDW last year. Disney ain't cheap, but the experience is definitely top-notch. Especially at WDW with their upgraded tech backbone. Hopefully WDL and the other parks get that rolled out soon. We got to WDL and were like wait, we have to physically bring our bodies to each ride we want a FastPass for? And then we have to come back at the time Disney tells us rather than picking our own from our phone? WDW definitely spoils you on this front.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Top notch is right!
One of the visits in WDW, I was having our luggage held at the Beach Club so we could still spend some time in Epcot before flying back. The cast member said something so loving and kind which brought me to tears. I didn't want to go home but stay in this magical world.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

KKBlue wrote:I understand Disney IS expensive but there is a lot of attention to detail, great customer service, and transportation all around. Without going into the parks, there still is a heap of entertainment to be had expecially around the boardwalk area. I'm sad (jonesin') because it's been 6 months since our visit, the magic of that place really has a hold on me. Think I'll reread this thread as a form of killing the withdrawal pain.
My wife was a Disney fanatic when I met her. I was skeptical. I had lived most of my life in Orlando, so the parks were viewed as a nuisance. But the first trip with her to Disney changed everything. We did a day-trip to the Magic Kingdom, and I've been hooked ever since. Both of us have talked about moving away, but it would be hard to leave WDW behind. Right now we live two hours away, and we run up all the time to get our fix. Even just a few hours in the "bubble" is good for the soul.

Our Disney fanaticism is so complete that our wedding was Disney themed and the majority of our house is decorated with Disney stuff. Even my office, which has a lot of Marvel and Star Wars stuff, is still technically Disney.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

msteelers wrote:
My wife was a Disney fanatic when I met her. I was skeptical. I had lived most of my life in Orlando, so the parks were viewed as a nuisance. But the first trip with her to Disney changed everything. We did a day-trip to the Magic Kingdom, and I've been hooked ever since. Both of us have talked about moving away, but it would be hard to leave WDW behind. Right now we live two hours away, and we run up all the time to get our fix. Even just a few hours in the "bubble" is good for the soul.

Our Disney fanaticism is so complete that our wedding was Disney themed and the majority of our house is decorated with Disney stuff. Even my office, which has a lot of Marvel and Star Wars stuff, is still technically Disney.
I've lived 30 of my 43 years right outside of Orlando. We had season passes to all the Disney Parks for years and it never got old.

I'd estimate we've been to any of the parks a couple hundred times, easily. We've done over nighters and stayed at most of the hotels there as well.

We also did 3 Disney cruises.

Disney is just magical and can't be reproduced. I don't think I can recall a negative experience of any sorts at any of their parks or hotels over the years we've gone.

Awesome customer service, cleanliness of the parks/hotels, etc.

Practically the only thing we miss about living in Colorado is missing Disney.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

msteelers wrote:I was skeptical.
Me too! After years of developing pictures of WDW I was anything but eager to visit the rat. My husband is the one who taught me the error of my ways.
Xmann wrote:We also did 3 Disney cruises.
My husband and I have been on the Magic cruise ship and have gone on two Adventures by Disney trips over seas.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I always forget if it's Disney World or Disney Land in Orlando, but I went there in 85, I was a teen. Mom drove me and her down (spring break, drove from Mississippi at the time), Grandma lived in an RV park around there. Met Aunt/Uncle/cousin who came down. Off to Disney! Approximately 1/3 of the rides/attractions were broken/closed for maintenance. One broke down while we were on it. Next day was Epcot center, which was kinda cool.

On the whole though, did not encourage me to want to come back (especially since Grandma is long gone, along with the free lodging).
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

After the Magic Kingdom, I love Epcot. I love just stopping at each country and having a beer.

Decent rides at Epcot too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Zenn7 wrote:I always forget if it's Disney World or Disney Land in Orlando, but I went there in 85, I was a teen. Mom drove me and her down (spring break, drove from Mississippi at the time), Grandma lived in an RV park around there. Met Aunt/Uncle/cousin who came down. Off to Disney! Approximately 1/3 of the rides/attractions were broken/closed for maintenance. One broke down while we were on it. Next day was Epcot center, which was kinda cool.

On the whole though, did not encourage me to want to come back (especially since Grandma is long gone, along with the free lodging).
Unless you were in the VERY off season broken rides isn't very common in Disney. Sure it happens, but it's so rare, random that I can't really complain at all after 9-10 vacations there. Epcot BY FAR is my favorite park, but man it needs some TLC. Outside of the world showcase there are some pretty sad areas. Universe of Energy I'm looking at you. I heard they are next up for renovations. I hope that's true because I adore that park. When we went on our honeymoon at Disney our package included a picture on the monuments in the beginning of the park. We have a prime spot in the first row right by Spaceship earth. BEST TRIP EVER!
Enlarge Image

miltonite

Post by miltonite »

If you haven't yet you might want to look into a Disney travel agent. They are paid by Disney so they are free to you and they will set up your dining and fast passes as well as make sure you get the best deals. I used one for my last few trips. She scheduled our dining, we got all the places and times we wanted. I still did fast passes for our family because mom and niece do not ride everything. It was so much easier just talking to her to find out the deals and what was the best way to go.

If you are planing on seeing fantasmic and have a dining plan, look into one of the fantasmic dining packages. It is no extra cost but you get a priority seating ticket for the show that night. When we went you had to eat at either Mama Melrose or Hollywood and Vine restaurants in HS. I was also informed about that by out Disney travel agent.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

We also only live a couple of hours away and have annual passes. Went there last week and then several weeks before for the Flower festival. On occasion we will drive down just to hit a restaurant at Epcot or something and drive home that night.

My wife really wants to go to Pandora on opening weekend before out blackout dates start. OMG, I hate crowds.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Cortilian wrote:My wife really wants to go to Pandora on opening weekend before out blackout dates start. OMG, I hate crowds.
Yikes. Good luck with that.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The wife and I just got back from a night up at the Waldorf Astoria. It's right on Disney property, over near Disney Springs. Rooms seem to be under $300 a night. So if the perks of being at a Disney hotel don't matter to you, but you still want a nice hotel that's close, the Waldorf is a good option.

We were staying there for the Make a Wish Wishmakers Ball. It was an awesome event right at the hotel. The only downside to our stay was getting our car from valet this morning was a nightmare. They say on the tickets that it takes 15 minutes for them to get your car, so call ahead. We called, and they said 20 minutes. It actually took a full hour. It was a disaster.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I'm a recent convert to being a Disney fanatic. My wife got a job there a couple of years ago, and the more I learn about and experience what it takes to keep the magic happening at that scale, and how well they do it, the more I'm impressed.

This weekend we had friends in town and went to watch the new Happily Ever After fireworks (replacing the old Wishes show) at Magic Kingdom. It is astounding to say the least. I have a bit of theater-tech background, and to see what they are able to pull off is just mesmerizing. I can't wait to go back!
-something witty-
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They are doing the dining plan the week I'm planning to take off, but I just can't justify the cost this year. Even with the free food I'm easily breaking 3k. We found a local waterpark resort and we're going to stay for 4 days there. We decided we were too lazy to drive to Virginia this year. :lol:

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My daughter is trying to avoid all spoilers for the new fireworks show. She's disappointed that Wishes is going away, but really pumped at the idea of a new show.