[Broadway] Hamilton

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: [Broadway] Hamilton

Post by coopasonic »

Holman wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:28 pm Oh, wow. I just now learned that my in-laws are gifting us (me, spouse, two teen boys) tix to see Hamilton in Philly next weekend.

It's the touring company, but reviews have been very strong, and we all know the soundtrack well.
I saw it more than 5 months ago and I am *still* listening to the soundtrack on a regular basis and wish I could see it again now that I have read the biography and have a clue what it is about.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It is fantastic. The touring company will swing through our area again in the winter/spring, and if I can afford it I’ll make sure to get tickets again. My wife ugly cried all the way out to the car and back to our hotel when we saw it earlier this year.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I miss being able to go to Broadway shows. By the time my kids are old enough for me to escape to one, I'll probably be too senile to enjoy it. Haven't been to one since my wife came here (before then, I'd take my late mom to them). Hopefully the revival is as good as the original!
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:11 pm I miss being able to go to Broadway shows. By the time my kids are old enough for me to escape to one, I'll probably be too senile to enjoy it. Haven't been to one since my wife came here (before then, I'd take my late mom to them). Hopefully the revival is as good as the original!
This is kind of OT but when I was working at Directv I proposed they develop a 4K live theater showcase so that more people could be exposed to theater, and people who may not be able to attend for physical or other reasons would get a chance to see live shows in perhaps the best format available. I know for whatever reasons actors and others don't like their performances recorded but to me it would be an opportunity to expose some really incredible once in a lifetime shows to people that will simply never get to see them otherwise. Oh well.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

rittchard wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:17 pm
Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:11 pm I miss being able to go to Broadway shows. By the time my kids are old enough for me to escape to one, I'll probably be too senile to enjoy it. Haven't been to one since my wife came here (before then, I'd take my late mom to them). Hopefully the revival is as good as the original!
This is kind of OT but when I was working at Directv I proposed they develop a 4K live theater showcase so that more people could be exposed to theater, and people who may not be able to attend for physical or other reasons would get a chance to see live shows in perhaps the best format available. I know for whatever reasons actors and others don't like their performances recorded but to me it would be an opportunity to expose some really incredible once in a lifetime shows to people that will simply never get to see them otherwise. Oh well.
I've never looked in to videos of Broadway shows (not movie adaptations) but there are numerous operas recorded and available. Maybe they'd do so after it stops selling out all over the place; but unless a performance is already in the can, getting the original cast to rally for it might be tricky (and if it's a decade or more coming, likely less than desirable).
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

A performance is already in the can.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... e-cinemas/
With his founding fathers hip-hop musical still packing in audiences in droves, a film adaptation is likely to be several years away – but a filmed version of the stage show starring the original Broadway cast is currently engaged in a bidding war between the studios. The performance was filmed back in 2016, and according to the Wall Street Journal, Hollywood film execs are not throwing away their shot when it comes to securing the rights to it, which are expected to sell for up to $50 million.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I suspected as much. They ought to cash in on it before dropping a film adaptation on the market, though. Anyway, it's good news...i won't have to hope for a revival to see it in 20 years or so when the kids are gone.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote:
Hipolito wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm The historical information is nice, but you can probably find it all in the Ron Chernow biography that inspired the musical and other history books.
Note that the biography is 800 pages. It is something of a page turner for what it is, but it's not a quick read.
Hold my musket, I’m going in. The Audible route, but still.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:03 pm
coopasonic wrote:
Hipolito wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm The historical information is nice, but you can probably find it all in the Ron Chernow biography that inspired the musical and other history books.
Note that the biography is 800 pages. It is something of a page turner for what it is, but it's not a quick read.
Hold my musket, I’m going in. The Audible route, but still.
I read it. It was ok, but nothing spectacular. It did help fill in the gaps of my historical knowledge though. I had tried several times to get into the soundtrack, and while I generally like musicals, this one wasn't sticking. After a third attempt, probably a couple years after first giving it a listen, and definitely after it was at it's peak, I finally got into the music. Great stuff. The problem was that I was mainly listening in shuffle mode, so I got all of the biographical information out of order. Decided to read the book to make sense of it.

So yeah, the context was interesting. That said - I'm not hunting down Chernow's other books.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We saw Hamilton in Philly on Sunday. It was excellent!

This was the touring cast, so things sounded a little different in comparison to the soundtrack, but the performance was very strong. Hamilton, Washington, and Eliza were especially good singers, each bringing the house down at least once. Burr was good, but the soundtrack's Leslie Odom is hard to beat. Our show's Lafayette/Jefferson was a lot of fun, but no one is ever going to match Daveed Diggs.

Listening to the album all those months ago, I wasn't always sure who was speaking or singing incidental or introductory lines. Seeing the performance, I realized that the commentary and "chorus" moments are almost always Burr. This is almost as much Burr's story as Hamilton's.

The set (you've probably seen pictures) doesn't change very much, but the choreography and lighting were excellent at establishing different locations. There was also a pair of concentric rotating disks in the floor that allowed characters to walk/dance/fight in place or in motion as necessary. This was used to great effect in ballrooms, battles, and duels.

If you get the chance, get tickets.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Agreed... everyone should try and see this in person.

It's amazing being in the room where it happens.

:D :dance: :D
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Hamilton is coming to a theater near you in October of 2021. Disney bought the rights, and supposedly it will make its way towards Disney+ sometime in 2022. And they paid a ton of money for it.
According to sources, Disney beat out other suitors and paid $75 million for worldwide rights to the show that won 11 Tony Awards in 2016, as well as the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Disney won the deal with a commitment for a wide global theatrical release for the 2 hour, 40 minute movie, which was shot two weeks before the original cast left.

I can’t think of an acquisition of a finished film that has gone for more money than this one. It is, however, a seminal cultural zeitgeist event and, as Miranda himself has said, the movie allows people to avoid having to pay $500 a seat, which they were before the original cast and he moved on. You could hardly call this profligate spending, given that when Hamilton finishes its traditional theatrical run, it will then become a major title on the Disney+ streaming service.

Director Tommy Kail directed both the stage version and the movie, which consisted of shooting three live performances, and also some setup shots without an audience. All of the footage was used to create multiple angles, to ensure the cinematic nature of the event, without a bad seat in the house.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

msteelers wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:49 pm Hamilton is coming to a theater near you in October of 2021. Disney bought the rights, and supposedly it will make its way towards Disney+ sometime in 2022. And they paid a ton of money for it.
According to sources, Disney beat out other suitors and paid $75 million for worldwide rights to the show that won 11 Tony Awards in 2016, as well as the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Disney won the deal with a commitment for a wide global theatrical release for the 2 hour, 40 minute movie, which was shot two weeks before the original cast left.

I can’t think of an acquisition of a finished film that has gone for more money than this one. It is, however, a seminal cultural zeitgeist event and, as Miranda himself has said, the movie allows people to avoid having to pay $500 a seat, which they were before the original cast and he moved on. You could hardly call this profligate spending, given that when Hamilton finishes its traditional theatrical run, it will then become a major title on the Disney+ streaming service.

Director Tommy Kail directed both the stage version and the movie, which consisted of shooting three live performances, and also some setup shots without an audience. All of the footage was used to create multiple angles, to ensure the cinematic nature of the event, without a bad seat in the house.
I anticipate it being at least as good as Mamma Mia!
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Mamma Mia was a real movie in the sense that it was filmed on location with a movie cast. This sounds like they just filmed the play - which is all I've ever wanted to see.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

msteelers wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:49 pm Hamilton is coming to a theater near you in October of 2021. Disney bought the rights, and supposedly it will make its way towards Disney+ sometime in 2022. And they paid a ton of money for it.
They've moved up the Disney+ release date to this July.

Thanks, coronavirus!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

woohoo
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Awesome!
Holman

Post by Holman »

AWS260 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:42 am
They've moved up the Disney+ release date to this July.

Thanks, coronavirus!
So good to hear! It'll be streaming on July 3. This is a good reason to get Disney+ even if you cancel it after.

It also seems like something the country needs this year.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Lin-Manuel Miranda gives a f*ck:

Spoiler:
LANGUAGE!
1. On July 3, you're getting the whole show, every note & scene, & a 1-minute countdown clock during intermission (bathroom!)
2. But MPAA has a hard rule about language: more than 1 utterance of "Fuck" is an automatic R rating. We have 3 "Fucks" in our show. So...
...I literally gave two fucks so the kids could see it:
1. In Yorktown, there's a mute over "I get the f___ back up again"
2. "Southern *record scratch*kin' Democratic Republicans."
You can sing whatEVER you like at home (even sync up the album)!
Love you. Enjoy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I guess he's no Mark fucking Watney.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:46 am Lin-Manuel Miranda gives a f*ck:
Two, actually.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Also, I have no idea why I am so excited for this but I am. I guess getting to see him in the lead role is the top reason, though I've seen the touring show and heard the soundtrack a thousand times. Also, having seen it once and heard the soundtrack a bunch of times (and read the book that inspired him to create the show) I think I can appreciate the full experience more, The first time I saw it I went in totally blind.

After reading that back to myself, I realize that I *do* know why I am so excited for this. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've intentionally distanced myself from it over the years. Initially it was because I was making it a goal to see it on Broadway, but when that didn't pan out I did finally succumb to listening to the album. Absolutely loved it but shelved it again when the production started touring....just in case.

Now with COVID there's no telling when I'd actually get to see it on stage, so I decided I may as well watch the movie. Greatly looking forward to it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:00 am
AWS260 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:46 am Lin-Manuel Miranda gives a f*ck:
Two, actually.
Eh, my kids don't give a fuck. There is approximately zero chance they will sit through more than 5 seconds of it, but I suppose if they do hear the forbidden word uttered, they'll scream "bad word daddy! Turn it off!" Moot point though, I won't pay for Disney just to see one show.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:35 pm Eh, my kids don't give a fuck. There is approximately zero chance they will sit through more than 5 seconds of it, but I suppose if they do hear the forbidden word uttered, they'll scream "bad word daddy! Turn it off!" Moot point though, I won't pay for Disney just to see one show.
Makes sense - $6.99 for one show is utterly unreasonable.

The touring show was set to come to our town in March 2021. To guarantee tickets, we were going to buy season tickets to our theater for a family of four. That would have allowed us to see 10 shows running from September through April. And then the world changed. The whole family is psyched this is coming next week...and so is our checkbook. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:59 pm Makes sense - $6.99 for one show is utterly unreasonable.
Sure is, more than double than I've paid for any single TV show since the early days of Netflix when DVD rentals were going for $6 a pop (and you could not rent them cheaper anywhere else). If I'm going to spend a nickle extra for any show not available on what we already have, the whole family better be into it. It'll never get past my wife, who thinks we already pay too damn much between Amazon, Sling, and Comcrap streaming. Paying for a single channel is absolutely out of the question.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:38 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:59 pm Makes sense - $6.99 for one show is utterly unreasonable.
Sure is, more than double than I've paid for any single TV show since the early days of Netflix when DVD rentals were going for $6 a pop (and you could not rent them cheaper anywhere else). If I'm going to spend a nickle extra for any show not available on what we already have, the whole family better be into it. It'll never get past my wife, who thinks we already pay too damn much between Amazon, Sling, and Comcrap streaming. Paying for a single channel is absolutely out of the question.
You could also watch the Mandalorian.
Black Lives Matter.
Jag

Post by Jag »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:43 pm
You could also watch the Mandalorian.
The Clone Wars too is absolute fantastic SW content. The last 4 episodes alone are as good as any movie out there.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Disney+ gives you everything Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar, plus the full run of the Simpsons and who knows what else.

Getting all that for a month for a few bucks seems like a pretty good deal.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:33 pm Disney+ gives you everything Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar, plus the full run of the Simpsons and who knows what else.

I'll keep it in mind when I run out of things to watch on the services I currently have. At the current rate of consumption, that ought to be mid-4724 assuming the human race lasts that long.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jeff V wrote:
Holman wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:33 pm Disney+ gives you everything Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar, plus the full run of the Simpsons and who knows what else.

I'll keep it in mind when I run out of things to watch on the services I currently have. At the current rate of consumption, that ought to be mid-4724 assuming the human race lasts that long.
If you have Verizon Wireless, they give you a year of D+ fo’ free.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

NOW YOU DANG KIDS GET OFF JEFF’S LAWN!
He won. Period.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I cannot count the number of times I have listened to this album (and my wife is an even bigger fan). We saw a touring company in Boston last fall, we've read the books. She is taking the day off work (and I already have it off) to watch this. I'm guessing we'll have it basically looping all day because the kids will keep interrupting. Can't wait.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Not a fan of musicals but looking forward to this! Disney+ is fun to have around.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:47 pm If you have Verizon Wireless, they give you a year of D+ fo’ free.
I do not, but that's a nice perk I guess.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think it's only if you have certain plans; I have Verizon Wireless but do not see any option to get free Disney +.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

They keep using the word Unlimited. I do not think it means what they think it means.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TOMORROW!!!

Reviews are excellent. I find myself rather excited.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

My wife is SO excited to see this.
I am SO excited to have 3 free hours to game while she does.
He/Him/His/Porcupine