[Broadway] Hamilton

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msteelers

Re: [Broadway] Hamilton

Post by msteelers »

Either West Palm or Orlando. West Palm is a lot closer for us, but our friends are all in Orlando.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No Orlando shows listed at the moment.

Rounding out the five Florida locations are Miami, Fort Meyers, and Jacksonville.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:18 am No Orlando shows listed at the moment.

Rounding out the five Florida locations are Miami, Fort Meyers, and Jacksonville.
Saw the Ft. Lauderdale show. It was fantastic and went off smoothly. Seen alot of shows at the Broward Center. Always a good experience. Probably wouldn't head to Miami either.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 am The show left my wife in tears. She walked out to the car with hr head down, trying not to let other people see her ugly crying. We will absolutely be seeing it again. Just... probably not in Miami.
I don't cry at the end.

I won't discuss what happens every time I hear "It's Quiet Uptown", though. :oops:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Exodor wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:03 pm
msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 am The show left my wife in tears. She walked out to the car with hr head down, trying not to let other people see her ugly crying. We will absolutely be seeing it again. Just... probably not in Miami.
I don't cry at the end.

I won't discuss what happens every time I hear "It's Quiet Uptown", though. :oops:
+1
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Incidentally, my kids' middle school counts Leslie Odom (Burr in the original cast) as an alum, so they're all *really* into Hamilton.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I finally finished the CDs. Wow, that took a turn. It was fantastic and even though I knew how it had to end I still wasn't prepared.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I can't believe I never posted Joe Posnanski's Hamilton story.

:wub:
And maybe this begins to explain the sorcery of Hamilton: It is new and it is familiar all at once. You know these characters and don’t know them at all. You know the story and don’t know it at all. I can’t remember anything quite like that. When the second act begins, Aaron Burr introduces Thomas Jefferson (“You haven’t met him yet, you haven’t had the chance/‘cause he’s been kicking’ ass as the ambassador to France), and then Daveed Diggs’ Thomas Jefferson rolls out wearing a glorious purple suit, looking for all the world like a revolutionary version of Prince …

… and it’s JUST RIGHT. Do you know what I mean? You might be aware that Thomas Jefferson really didn’t look like Prince and he wasn’t much of a hip hop performer. He was a Virginia slaveowner. But by the time the second act begins, no, this is Thomas Jefferson. It feels exactly right. This is the closest experience I’ve ever had to that feeling inside a dream. You know: In the dream, you are talking with your best friend only he’s actually a grizzly bear wearing a stethoscope, and you’re inside a car that’s not exactly a car and you’re parked inside the Taj Mahal but it’s orange and looks a bit like old Shea Stadium … and none of it seems out of place. None of it seems unfamiliar. It doesn’t just make perfect sense, it feels perfect. There are goosebumps detonating because, my God, look, that’s Thomas Jefferson.

No, I guess I cannot put you there in the theater, though I wish I could. I wish you could see it if you have not. I don’t even know you, but I wish you could see it because you will be happier after you see it. You will be happier after watching Hamilton and Jefferson have a hip-hop rap off about whether the U.S. should honor its treaty with France. You will be happier after watching Angelica relive the moment that she introduced her sister Eliza to Hamilton. You will even be happier after seeing the Burr-Hamilton duel, which is indescribably powerful and so utterly simple all at once.

My friend Michael told me something before I saw the show and after he found out how much I paid to see it — I think he was saying it to make me feel better about the expense. He said it is the one thing, maybe the only thing, that lives up to the hype. He was exaggerating to make a point. After all, the Golden State Warriors, when right, live up to the hype. A Bruce Springsteen concert lives up to the hype. In ’N Out Burgers live up to the hype. Playoff hockey, The Great Gatsby, Paris, The Gettysburg Address, first kisses, baseball day games, chocolate cake, all of these live up to the hype. There are many other things, too — Messi and Harry Potter and Adele and Kansas City barbecue — that rise up to our highest hopes.

What made Hamilton different, I think, was that in addition to rising up, in addition to surpassing those hopes, it felt familiar too, as if we’d already seen it long ago and are now happily remembering.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Has anyone else gone looking for the historical documents this is based on? I'm not quite to reading the Federalist Papers, but might some day. The Reynolds Pamphlet, though, is kind of amazing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So, does it lose anything if you know next to nothing about the time period. You know how we have a few people that are students of history? I'm the opposite. 30 years ago I tested out of US HIstory (I'm exceptional at test taking, NOT at US history). I have no interest in history, but I still want to see this. My wife saw it this weekend and she has one complaint... she could see the spit flying from the performer's mouths and it was kind of disturbing (my wife and her parents have season passes to the Dallas theater with second row seats). It would cost me about the same as their season passes to get my hands on a good ticket and I am still thinking about it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:13 pm So, does it lose anything if you know next to nothing about the time period.
I think if you know the names George Washington and Thomas Jefferson you'll be fine.

It's not a history class and it gets a fair number of "facts" wrong
Last edited by Exodor on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It’s an excellent show regardless of your history knowledge. And there’s a $10 lotto that opens up two days before each show.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Exodor wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:21 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:13 pm So, does it lose anything if you know next to nothing about the time period.
I think if you know who the names George Washington and Thomas Jefferson you'll be fine.

It's not a history class and it gets a fair number of "facts" wrong
Yeah, I learned those names from an asassin's creed game. It turns out that is where I have learned most of my history. F'ing Templars.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:21 pm It’s an excellent show regardless of your history knowledge. And there’s a $10 lotto that opens up two days before each show.
Thanks for the reminder about the lottery. A long shot is better than no shot.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:38 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:21 pm It’s an excellent show regardless of your history knowledge. And there’s a $10 lotto that opens up two days before each show.
Thanks for the reminder about the lottery. A long shot is better than no shot.
As long as you don't thr... no, I can't do it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:05 pm Has anyone else gone looking for the historical documents this is based on? I'm not quite to reading the Federalist Papers, but might some day. The Reynolds Pamphlet, though, is kind of amazing.
Apparently Miranda was inspired to write the musical after reading Ron Chernow's Hamilton biography.

Now everyone wants him to do Grant.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, I can certainly use an Audible credit for Chernow's book, then.

Also, there's Hamilton: The Revolution
Winner, 2017 APA Audie Awards - Audiobook of the Year

Lin-Manuel Miranda's groundbreaking musical, Hamilton, is as revolutionary as its subject: the poor kid from the Caribbean who fought the British, defended the Constitution, and helped to found the United States. Fusing hip-hop, pop, R&B, and the best traditions of theater, this once-in-a-generation show broadens the sound of Broadway, reveals the storytelling power of rap, and claims our country's origins for a diverse new generation.

Hamilton: The Revolution gives listeners an unprecedented insight into both revolutions, from the only two writers able to provide it. Miranda, along with Jeremy McCarter, a cultural critic and theater artist who was involved in the project from its earliest stages - "since before this was even a show," according to Miranda - traces its development from an improbable performance at the White House to its landmark opening night on Broadway six years later. In addition, Emmy and Gold Globe-winning actor Mariska Hargitay lends her voice to the audiobook, and Miranda reads more than 200 funny, revealing footnotes for his award-winning libretto, the full text of which is included in the PDF with this audiobook.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We own that book. It’s fantastic, and a great read for anyone that is a big fan of the musical.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I found a ticket for a great seat at a reasonable price. I'll be seeing it the first week of May.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:25 pm I found a ticket for a great seat at a reasonable price. I'll be seeing it the first week of May.
Tonight is the night. I am really looking forward to it.

I haven't decided how I am getting there. I am thinking about taking the train (DART light rail) to avoid traffic and parking issues but a friend is trying to scare me off that. She doesn't think it is very safe. I can drive and the car does make traffic less annoying, but I am less excited about parking my car down there.

The other question is what do I wear? My wife and her parents always dress up for these things, but I have never been so I don't know. I generally don't do that dressing up thing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I wore nice jeans, a button up, and a blazer. I didn’t feel overdressed, but I was probably better dressed than most people there. Most people were in business casual I would say.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I guess I can change my shoes and put on a jacket (sports coat? is that the right term - like a suit jacket but not part of a suit).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No one will be looking at you. Wear what you’re comfortable with.

And I’ve taken the rail to night hockey games with my wife. There’s nothing to fear about it any more than any other place packed with a lot of people.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It turns out the weekend rail construction I was avoiding by seeing the show on a weeknight has decided to run uninterrupted 4/26-5/10 just to mess with my plans (presumably), so I will be driving.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

coopasonic wrote:
coopasonic wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:25 pm I found a ticket for a great seat at a reasonable price. I'll be seeing it the first week of May.
Tonight is the night. I am really looking forward to it.

I haven't decided how I am getting there. I am thinking about taking the train (DART light rail) to avoid traffic and parking issues but a friend is trying to scare me off that. She doesn't think it is very safe. I can drive and the car does make traffic less annoying, but I am less excited about parking my car down there.

The other question is what do I wear? My wife and her parents always dress up for these things, but I have never been so I don't know. I generally don't do that dressing up thing.
My family and I saw Hamilton in Chicago and London and there were people really dressed up and folks in more casual wear. I liked dressing up for the Chicago show since it was our first time but since there was a heat wave in England we opted for more comfortable wear like much of the audience.

Dress as you like and enjoy the evening! Also you can't go wrong with khakis and a collared shirt with shoes either, especially if the wife is dressing up.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

coopasonic wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:33 pm The other question is what do I wear? My wife and her parents always dress up for these things, but I have never been so I don't know. I generally don't do that dressing up thing.
Although FIL's dementia has put the brakes on it, my in-laws were dedicated NYC theater-goers from the 1960s to the 2010s. We've gone to several performances a year with them for three decades now, and I guess I can declare that there's no definite requirement to dress up unless you've been invited to a premiere event. Some people do it, many don't.

The thing to know, though, is that you're sitting still in an air-conditioned theater for a long time, so summertime outdoor wear will be uncomfortable. Go "business casual" and maybe even bring a fleece or jacket to put in your lap.
Last edited by Holman on Thu May 02, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

We saw this 2 nights ago in Dallas(we didn't take DART but we live in Sachse so taking 30 to Bush is easy way to get home...when we were in Frisco getting back north from Fair Park was a serious chore and DART is a great choice) and it was amazing. Even considering the vastly inflated price we paid (you snooze you lose and we paid for my failure to secure tixs early). I knew absolutely nothing about the show going in, and I thought it was fantastic. Honestly I wasnt even sure what it was about and being surprised about everything from casting to the sets and of course the singing was just great.
As far as attire, we saw everything from black tie to one kid in cargo shorts and a baseball hat. Enjoy your evening, we definitely did!
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I ended up in jeans and a button down shirt and didn't feel underdressed. That was about par for men under 60.

The show was incredible. I don't really having anything to compare it to, but I was enthralled the entire time. I listened to a good chunk of the original cast recording this morning on the way to work and I have to say I didn't find it any better than what I heard live, even though live I was listening to the understudy of one of the touring companies lead. On the other hand the forehead microphones were rather distracting. Maybe that's the price of sitting up close.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

coopasonic wrote:On the other hand the forehead microphones were rather distracting. Maybe that's the price of sitting up close.
We were so far away from the stage I could only tell the actors apart from their clothes. I couldn’t see their noses, let alone a mic.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I recently visited Hamilton: The Exhibition, a museum flavored after the musical. It's in a temporary building in Northerly Island, Chicago.

It goes over the life of Alexander Hamilton, the American Revolution, and how the facts differ from the musical. It has some teched-up interactive displays and audio narration by the original Broadway cast.

It ends with a 3-D movie of the musical's opening number, depicted by the touring cast.

The historical information is nice, but you can probably find it all in the Ron Chernow biography that inspired the musical and other history books. The displays are about on par with what you'd see at any modern museum. It's not a mindblowing experience like the musical. But for Hamil-heads like me, it's an OK way to spend a couple of hours and $40.00. (I actually spent more than that at the gift shop.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When will we see a play and museum based on the life of George Hamilton? Huh? Huh?
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:19 am When will we see a play and museum based on the life of George Hamilton? Huh? Huh?
A Sun Tanning Products museum?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They call him George Hamil-tan for a reason.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

They could have a bronze statue of him that's sure to be complemented for it's innovative use of the subject's skin tones
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hipolito wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm The historical information is nice, but you can probably find it all in the Ron Chernow biography that inspired the musical and other history books.
Note that the biography is 800 pages. It is something of a page turner for what it is, but it's not a quick read.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Here is your tanning museum.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:19 am When will we see a play and museum based on the life of George Hamilton? Huh? Huh?
Dah dah-dah-dah dah dah dee dee dee dee
How does a bastard, suntanned actor from Hollywood
That's been in so many shows and films you musta seen him
Look so cool in everything from Dynasty to Godfather III
And not have his own musical museum?

They do have this bronze statue of Alexander Hamilton at the museum. Just write "George" on a piece of paper, tape it to the placard, and you'll be set.

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:52 am
Hipolito wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm The historical information is nice, but you can probably find it all in the Ron Chernow biography that inspired the musical and other history books.
Note that the biography is 800 pages. It is something of a page turner for what it is, but it's not a quick read.
I have been planning to read this, but I didn't know it was that long. And I'm a slow reader.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Go the Audible route.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, wow. I just now learned that my in-laws are gifting us (me, spouse, two teen boys) tix to see Hamilton in Philly next weekend.

It's the touring company, but reviews have been very strong, and we all know the soundtrack well.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

:clap:
Black Lives Matter