[Broadway] Hamilton

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Eel Snave

Re: [Broadway] Hamilton

Post by Eel Snave »

We rewatched it again last night, and in the background are all sorts of details that I didn't realize. For example, during one of the early songs, in the background you can see Eliza up high getting a letter, touching her stomach, and then Angelica joining her briefly, then a letter gets sent in the direction of Washington on the other side of the stage.

The next song, Washington sends Hamilton home, and the next one after that Eliza tells Hamilton that she had sent a letter to Washington telling him she was pregnant. The level of detail is stunning.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:29 am How anyone can watch this and not have King George's song stuck in their heads for weeks is beyond me.
What's funny too is the origin of that song.

L-MM is friends with actor Hugh Laurie (of House, etc). When Lin brought up the idea of a musical about the American Revolution, Laurie, a Brit, said "Oh, you'll be back."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:29 am How anyone can watch this and not have King George's song stuck in their heads for weeks is beyond me.
Yeah, I woke up with that lodged firmly in my brain.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Eel Snave wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:46 am The level of detail is stunning.
At the end when Eliza is singing about what she's done since Alexander's death, when she sings "I speak out against slavery," the actor who plays George Washington bows his head and steps out of the spotlight. That was a decision made by the actor to acknowledge the shame of Washington being a slave owner. I'm sure there were some conflicted feelings from the multiracial cast regarding celebrating slave owners and I love this small, poignant touch.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

MHS wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:07 pm
At the end when Eliza is singing about what she's done since Alexander's death, when she sings "I speak out against slavery," the actor who plays George Washington bows his head and steps out of the spotlight. That was a decision made by the actor to acknowledge the shame of Washington being a slave owner. I'm sure there were some conflicted feelings from the multiracial cast regarding celebrating slave owners and I love this small, poignant touch.
Wow! I think I noticed that but didn't really register that the two things went hand in hand. What a fucked-up history the US has had.
Downwards Compatible
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, it's no more fucked up than any others.
Covfefe!
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Fair point.
Downwards Compatible
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...with the possible exception of Bartovia.
Covfefe!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

That is the one song that I do have stuck in my mind. :D
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:49 pm
That is the one song that I do have stuck in my mind. :D
There are so many good earworms!

In the room where it Happens
Satisfied
My Shot
Ten Duel Commandments

and my personal vote for underrated - Wait for It.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Post by Holman »

MHS wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:07 pm
Yeah. I think the starkest of these is when Diggs' Jefferson introduces himself.

"There's a letter on my desk from the President
Haven't even put my bags down yet Sally be a lamb, darlin' won'tcha open it?
It says the President's assembling a cabinet
And that I am to be the Secretary of State, great
And that I'm already Senate-approved
I just got home and now I'm headed up to New York"

The "Sally" here has to be Sally Hemings, Jefferson's slave and mother to six of his children. Jefferson probably first started sleeping with her when she was 14 or 15 and he was 44.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:06 pm
There are so many good earworms!

In the room where it Happens
Satisfied
My Shot
Ten Duel Commandments

and my personal vote for underrated - Wait for It.
so many, I agree.

Love the Ten Duel Commandments... wife and I try and make versions of it for when we tell the kids a list of things we need to get done, etc. It's never very good. :doh:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:44 pm Love the Ten Duel Commandments... wife and I try and make versions of it for when we tell the kids a list of things we need to get done, etc. It's never very good. :doh:
It doesn't matter how good they are, as soon as you sing "Number One" their eyes are rolling.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

coopasonic wrote:
Unagi wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:44 pm Love the Ten Duel Commandments... wife and I try and make versions of it for when we tell the kids a list of things we need to get done, etc. It's never very good. :doh:
It doesn't matter how good they are, as soon as you sing "Number One" their eyes are rolling.
It would be pretty interesting though if every list ends with yelling “Number TEN PACES FIRE!”
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:24 pm
Oh I assure you, not my kids.
No. You nailed it.

It usually ends with them singing, “Number 3... you can’t sing “
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

So... the husband comes into the kitchen, I'm sitting at the table messin' on the computer. After he noticed the Apple speaker was plugged in, Disney's Muppets preforming the Hamilton soundtrack filled the air. If you are a fan of Beaker give up at least 5 minutes of your time.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

KKBlue wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:52 pm So... the husband comes into the kitchen, I'm sitting at the table messin' on the computer. After he noticed the Apple speaker was plugged in, Disney's Muppets preforming the Hamilton soundtrack filled the air. If you are a fan of Beaker give up at least 5 minutes of your time.
:wub:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is quite impressive - Hamilton Act 1 in Animal Crossing. Watch it soon - not sure how long it will stay up.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
MHS

Post by MHS »

stessier wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:44 pm This is quite impressive - Hamilton Act 1 in Animal Crossing. Watch it soon - not sure how long it will stay up.

That was amazing. I can't imagine the time and work it took. And the fact that they animated King George spitting (around the 20 minute mark) is :lol:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Holman

Post by Holman »

KKBlue wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:52 pm So... the husband comes into the kitchen, I'm sitting at the table messin' on the computer. After he noticed the Apple speaker was plugged in, Disney's Muppets preforming the Hamilton soundtrack filled the air. If you are a fan of Beaker give up at least 5 minutes of your time.
"Lafozzette" :D