[Broadway] Hamilton

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: [Broadway] Hamilton

Post by AWS260 »

If you don't have three hours for the full production, here's an abridged version:

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Subbed to Disney and watched it over the weekend.

Easily as good as Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Which means twice a year I will watch this drunk and cry and scream the lyrics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can’t believe Weird Al didn’t include the Groff spitting part.
He won. Period.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My family and I watched this on Friday evening. I've enjoyed the music but had never seen the show. I really liked it. Really impressed by a lot of the cast. More so after seeing some interview segments with them.

And my kids are all about it now, which is fine by me, listening to the soundtrack some more. I'd have tracked this down wherever it had ended up airing/streaming, but am glad I can go back to it on Disney+ whenever we want to rewatch.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

hepcat wrote: I can’t believe Weird Al didn’t include the Groff spitting part.
Wondering, do you think he was spitting on purpose adding to the character? Really a tremendous amount of saliva.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
stessier

Post by stessier »

KKBlue wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:39 am
Wondering, do you think he was spitting on purpose adding to the character? Really a tremendous amount of saliva.
I do - especially after learning the close-ups were filmed without an audience and that the actors were adding subtle details during those times that they knew an audience would never see but the camera would. I think he was playing up the "mad/insane" angle.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think Broadway singers just do that from time to time.

I’ve certainly seen it a number of times.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:53 am I think Broadway singers just do that from time to time.

That was my take.

My....

spit take.
He won. Period.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Did anyone else find it distracting at all to have some people playing multiple roles, especially major roles? I could see if they couldn't afford to pay two actors, but with the money Hamilton was getting for tickets, I don't see why they couldn't have different actors for Peggy/Maria Reynolds and Lafayette/Jefferson.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lafayette and Jefferson don’t overlap between acts. I don’t recall about the other.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Peggy and Maria don't overlap acts either. In real life, Peggy married very rich and died young, so her story ended in the first act.

I didn't find it distracting and anything that gives me more Daveed Diggs is a good thing!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:07 pm If you don't have three hours for the full production, here's an abridged version:

In the screen that Youtube puts up for that video, that actor looks way too much like Colin Farrell.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

MHS wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:21 am Did anyone else find it distracting at all to have some people playing multiple roles, especially major roles? I could see if they couldn't afford to pay two actors, but with the money Hamilton was getting for tickets, I don't see why they couldn't have different actors for Peggy/Maria Reynolds and Lafayette/Jefferson.
Back in the day my wife and I had season tickets to the Lyric Opera in Chicago, and this was a common practice. I don't know if it's an affectation of theater or a nod to limited backstage areas (particularly in older theaters), but I guess I'm used to it because it didn't phase me.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I honestly didn't realize that some actors were playing dual roles (or more) until the credits rolled and they announced such.
He won. Period.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Only Lafayette/Jefferson threw me off.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
geezer

Post by geezer »

MHS wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:21 am Did anyone else find it distracting at all to have some people playing multiple roles, especially major roles? I could see if they couldn't afford to pay two actors, but with the money Hamilton was getting for tickets, I don't see why they couldn't have different actors for Peggy/Maria Reynolds and Lafayette/Jefferson.
Happy to be of service ;)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

MHS wrote:Did anyone else find it distracting at all to have some people playing multiple roles, especially major roles? I could see if they couldn't afford to pay two actors, but with the money Hamilton was getting for tickets, I don't see why they couldn't have different actors for Peggy/Maria Reynolds and Lafayette/Jefferson.
I believe that was a choice made on purpose. Hamilton’s friends from the first act become his enemies in the 2nd act. It wasn’t a money saving measure necessarily.
MHS

Post by MHS »

msteelers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:28 pm
MHS wrote:Did anyone else find it distracting at all to have some people playing multiple roles, especially major roles? I could see if they couldn't afford to pay two actors, but with the money Hamilton was getting for tickets, I don't see why they couldn't have different actors for Peggy/Maria Reynolds and Lafayette/Jefferson.
I believe that was a choice made on purpose. Hamilton’s friends from the first act become his enemies in the 2nd act. It wasn’t a money saving measure necessarily.
Thanks for your reply, and also to geezer for his. I think important figures>important figures instead of friends to enemies, because the actor who played John Laurens is also who plays his son (at least I think so, I'm good with faces but didn't stick around for the credits.)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:53 am I think Broadway singers just do that from time to time.

I've been literally spit on by Christopher Plummer as Lear and Patrick Stewart as Prospero.

Haven't washed since.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
geezer

Post by geezer »

MHS wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:56 pm
msteelers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:28 pm
Thanks for your reply, and also to geezer for his. I think important figures>important figures instead of friends to enemies, because the actor who played John Laurens is also who plays his son (at least I think so, I'm good with faces but didn't stick around for the credits.)
That makes sense. I've also read that Daveed Diggs was specifically cast for Lafayette and Jefferson because of his ability to rap at super-speed :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:40 pm

I've been literally spit on by Christopher Plummer as Lear and Patrick Stewart as Prospero.

Haven't washed since.
Talk to Sheldon. He may grow you a clone if you supply an ovum.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lin reacts to Weird Als Hamilton Polka.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lin is a fellow nerd. When MST3K returned, he was one of the first to sing its praises. Such a good sense of humor. Not a lot of artists would find even a loving parody such as Al’s funny.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:20 pm Lin is a fellow nerd. When MST3K returned, he was one of the first to sing its praises. Such a good sense of humor. Not a lot of artists would find even a loving parody such as Al’s funny.
Miranda asked Weird Al to make it. They are actually good friends IRL, pre-dating this parody.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s even better. Makes sense that they’re friends.

I have to wonder if I’d have the same sense of humor if someone made a parody of my prize winning musical “Bea and Me”.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Weird Al has always asked for permission first.
As far as hip-hop beefs go, Coolio vs. “Weird Al” Yankovic was, well, one of the weirder ones.

The back-and-forth stemmed from Coolio’s 1995 hit “Gangsta’s Paradise” and Yankovic’s parody from the following year, “Amish Paradise.” As music fans who were alive back then probably remember, Coolio claimed he never gave Yankovic permission to do the parody, while Yankovic stated he had received an OK from Coolio through the rapper’s management.

The beef has long since ended. In an August 2015 Rolling Stone article marking the song’s 20th anniversary (and in many other interviews before), Coolio set the record straight.

“I have to say, that was probably one of the least smart things I’ve done over the years,” he told Rolling Stone. “I should have never been upset about that; I should have embraced it like everybody else did. Michael Jackson never got mad at him; Prince never got mad at him. Who the f--- was I to take the position that I took?”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The visual editing in this one is really amazing.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:05 am
I do - especially after learning the close-ups were filmed without an audience and that the actors were adding subtle details during those times that they knew an audience would never see but the camera would. I think he was playing up the "mad/insane" angle.
I saw something online where it claimed that the actor just had a spitting problem when he sang. I can remember watching the old Beatles movies and in the live performances Lennon was like that.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I would recommend people check out youtube for various people who do versions of Hamilton songs. There is some real quality stuff on there.
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Scuzz wrote:
stessier wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:05 am
I saw something online where it claimed that the actor just had a spitting problem when he sang. I can remember watching the old Beatles movies and in the live performances Lennon was like that.
I’ve performed with folks that released prodigious amounts of saliva when they sang. The polite ones mention it before you start rehearsals.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Holman

Post by Holman »

Wait? Is spitting from the stage a surprise to people?

It's pretty hard not to toss a few flecks of moisture on a plosive sound done with feeling.

I'm not a singer or an actor, but I find myself doing it a little when I read poetry aloud in class.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

you probably do it on purpose. Don't you.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:30 pm you probably do it on purpose. Don't you.
Busted. I loft for the back row.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finally got around to watching this. I mostly enjoyed it and can recognize the immense talent on display, but have little interest in watching it again or tracking down any of the music to listen to. Lots of other musicals I liked better.

Glad I saw it, mainly so I can say I have.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I did enjoy the play, but the music, for the most part, isn't memorable or hummable by me. I don't think I am the target audience though.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

How anyone can watch this and not have King George's song stuck in their heads for weeks is beyond me.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:28 am I did enjoy the play, but the music, for the most part, isn't memorable or hummable by me. I don't think I am the target audience though.
Actually Miranda said in an interview last week that he wrote Hamilton with Scuzz from Octopus Overlords in mind. He's going to be crushed when he finds out. :cry:
Black Lives Matter.