Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gbasden

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:37 am Soooo how do finger cuts and hangnails feature into all this stuff?
Dude, you do you. You don't have to believe Smoove, or other experts. But arguing that they don't know what they are talking about isn't the greatest look.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:37 am Soooo how do finger cuts and hangnails feature into all this stuff?
You're trying too hard. My teenage son does this - tries to find any exception to a clear answer in order to prove he's right.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:24 am
You're trying too hard. My teenage son does this - tries to find any exception to a clear answer in order to prove he's right.
So since Covid-19 isn’t bloodborne the finger cut is not relevant.

Now what if a lung lobe happens to land in your takeout bag. Is the risk increased?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Only if you lean in and sniff at it to get a good whiff. Or maybe if you pick it up, then pick your nose before washing your hands.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gbasden wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:15 am
Dude, you do you. You don't have to believe Smoove, or other experts. But arguing that they don't know what they are talking about isn't the greatest look.
Is Smoove a virology doctor? Nothing to me though as I will not be eating out. But you guys go eat all the food prepared and handled by strangers all you want. True you never know but during a pandemic like this Ill pass.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:46 pmIs Smoove a virology doctor? Nothing to me though as I will not be eating out. But you guys go eat all the food prepared and handled by strangers all you want. True you never know but during a pandemic like this Ill pass.
I am not. But I am sharing the public messages of the PhD food microbiologist that trained me in infectious disease theory. I'm not offended if you don't believe me or the messages I'm sharing - that's certainly your right. But understand the things I'm saying are not my random thoughts or careless musings.

To paraphrase is current message, the risks of not eating are much higher. You do you, Daehawk.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Daehawk wrote:
gbasden wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:15 am
Is Smoove a virology doctor? Nothing to me though as I will not be eating out. But you guys go eat all the food prepared and handled by strangers all you want. True you never know but during a pandemic like this Ill pass.
He's a former public health official for the state of NJ if I have that right who has had to deal with food borne illnesses, bioterrorism preparedness, an anthrax attack, and the terrors that lurk in the depths of restaurant freezers and fridges among other things as well as keeping up with health emergencies and the underlying things that come with that like disease transmission.

If I'm recruiting for my prepper compound, he's on my list of people. Also, he has a great board game collection that he'll be bringing along.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I read that as beard game and thought that could be interesting.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The new Popeye's chicken sandwiches have finally hit Canada. They're indeed very good. The meat is surprisingly tender and juicy. I wouldn't wait in line for hours for one, though. At $11.49 ($8.75 USD) for a combo they seem expensive, but that's become the norm for premium fast food offerings. (That is to say, the nicest things on the menu at McDonald's et al.; what I'd call a premium fast food restaurant would be a few dollars more expensive.) And these are Uber Eats prices, so in-store may be cheaper (but not always with chains).

I'll be getting it again. I can't compare it with the old sandwiches, because I never had cause to order them when I could get Popeye's fried chicken or tenders instead. And that's going to continue to be the problem.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I mentioned in another thread that Popeye's opened a new restaurant near my house, and the lines have been insanely long (not as insane as the Jollibee lines when that chain opened on the north side a few years ago...those were 7 hour waits). Not much wait at all though if you simply park the car and walk inside.

Which I did. For my wife. Because I won't eat their crap, period.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I get the attraction there at least (Jollibee). If I'd been living abroad in Moscow for a decade or something and all of a sudden Swiss Chalet opened up a location, I'd line up all day too. But I have no emotional/nostaglic connection with random established chain's latest item, etc.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:23 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:15 pm I've found that I prefer Popeye's to KFC, and those are really the only two options around here (by which I mean 30 miles away) without paying full-service restaurant prices.
There are two chains here that manage decent fried chicken - Browns and White Fence Farm. I tend to avoid the rest. I don't often crave fried chicken and can do much better making my own if that's ever the case (which is almost never since I do it much better on the grill).
Never heard of either. We have a ton of fried chicken chains around here. We have what it technically a chain, called Lee's, though I've personally only ever seen the one. I believe it is a spin off of KFC but there is no comparing the two. It is the best chain fried chicken I've ever had. Until my heart started having problem I'd never turn down the opportunity for Lee's.

Surprisingly acceptable is Church's. I'd never go out of my way for them but if I have a craving, could warrant it, and it was convenient. Church's will do.
Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:55 pm Popeyes grilled chicken sandwich is by far the best available in the fast food business.
Not a fan of the seasoning of their fried chicken. I don't know why. So I've never made it back to even know they do grilled chicken. I should make it back to give them a try. They are literally one of 5 different dedicated fried chicken places on my commute.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I meant in the franchise fast food business. I'm sure all of the big cities have specialized chicken places, Los Angeles probably has about 10,000 it seems.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Whenever I'm in the mood for a spicy chicken sandwhich, I get the Asiago Chicken Club Ranch from Wendy's and specify the Spicy Chicken and it's awesome.
Last edited by Rumpy on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

KFC fan.

KFC - fried chicken
Chick fil A - nuggets and sandwiches
Bojangles - avoid eww
Church's - no longer near me
Popeyes - not near me
Zaxby's - ok for tenders
Hardees - tenders are da BOMB
Pizza Hut - wings deelish
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:31 pm Subway's sandwich rolls not legally bread.
Spoiler:
Not legally a "staple bread" but rather ranked as a confectionary due to it's sugar content as defined by the statute (2% = staple - Subway is at 10% sugar weight to flour weight).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lol... clickbait. I expected an article telling me Subway was now required to advertise sandwiches with cake for a bun, instead it was a bunch of silliness about old Irish tax code.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:37 pm Lol... clickbait. I expected an article telling me Subway was now required to advertise sandwiches with cake for a bun, instead it was a bunch of silliness about old Irish tax code.
I thought it was going to be an article about the extra additives they use for to make their bread that caused controversy several years ago.

Sidenote: That image of all the different kinds of breads makes me sad. I think we only get 4 of those up here: 9 Grain Wheat, Italian Herbs and Cheese, Parmisian Oregano, and Italian.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone had an Arbys 1/2 pound roast beef sandwich? Wondering if its really 1/2 lb. When I get a regular it looks so small and nothing at all like the picture on menus.

Enlarge Image

vs

Enlarge Image
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've had it. I enjoyed it. That was several years ago. Would probably have a heart attack if I ate it today.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:28 pm Anyone had an Arbys 1/2 pound roast beef sandwich? Wondering if its really 1/2 lb. When I get a regular it looks so small and nothing at all like the picture on menus.

Hate to break it to you, but nothing ever looks as good as on a professionally done picture. Especially food. The food you see in pictures is like a supermodel version of what you really get.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:22 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:28 pm Anyone had an Arbys 1/2 pound roast beef sandwich? Wondering if its really 1/2 lb. When I get a regular it looks so small and nothing at all like the picture on menus.

Hate to break it to you, but nothing ever looks as good as on a professionally done picture. Especially food. The food you see in pictures is like a supermodel version of what you really get.
And the food in pictures is often not actually food.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That was pretty enlightening :)

I think I've only ever had few times where food has looked as good as the picture, and those mostly have been dishes, as I think it's easier for the photographer to replicate the look of an actual dish. But when it comes to anything stacked like say, that Arby's Roast Beef or the Pancakes, they're obviously going for symmetrical presentation that isn't going to be possible in most real-life situations. Most of the time, it will end up looking severely squashed with a flat looking bun half sliding off the entire thing. Sometimes I wonder how some of them can stay together as well as they can given how juicy some of them are. It's a miracle some of the buns don't just disintegrate due to the grease and all.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I've eaten Whoppers (the burger from BK) that looked just like ad copy. And they tasted absolutely as good as they looked. Where were they made? In the basement mall under the Suissehotel in the island of Singapore. After six weeks of eating food from the amazing amalgam of cultures that is Singapore, every now and then just getting a good ol' American burger (that's 100 times better than any Whopper available in America) is just what's going to hit the spot.

I didn't watch the food video, but I've heard that for cereal advertisements they use Elmers Glue instead of milk because it photographs better.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I know they used to fake a lot of those ads but I thought there was some law passed that what was photographed had to be the actual food. Truth in advertising.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:20 am I know they used to fake a lot of those ads but I thought there was some law passed that what was photographed had to be the actual food. Truth in advertising.
The food they are trying to sell has to be real. Everything ancillary to that does not.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, the food is real, I'm sure. It's just the methods in achieving the photography might use tricks to achieve something presentable. The pasta with the bowl is a good example. They're still using real pasta, but they're making it look more like a full serving.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:21 pm Oh, the food is real, I'm sure. It's just the methods in achieving the photography might use tricks to achieve something presentable. The pasta with the bowl is a good example. They're still using real pasta, but they're making it look more like a full serving.
Tricks Photographers Use to Make Food Look Delicious
  • Cardboard spacers add height to food
  • Motor oil is a syrup substitute that doesn’t absorb into pancakes
  • Toothpicks hold ingredients in place
  • Makeup sponge can add height to a burger
  • Vegetable oil adds a juicy look to meat
  • Glue is a milk substitute that doesn’t make cereal soggy
  • Dish soap creates longer lasting foam in fizzy drinks
  • Corn syrup and food coloring can create ice cream that doesn’t melt
  • Super glue repairs tears in bird skin
  • Browning liquid can be made to shoot raw birds without roasting
  • Shaving cream is used as whipped cream that doesn’t melt
  • Ramekins can be used to keep garnishes on the surfaces of soup
  • Tampons are soaked and microwaved to create steam
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I walked into an Elevation Burger here in the DC area once and they were prepping food to take pictures of it for advertising/menu purposes. It was very much an involved process.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Market Watch
McDonald’s Corp. said Friday that it is bringing back the McRib for a limited time starting Dec. 2.

The sandwich will be available for a limited time on a nationwide basis, the first time the item has been available across the country since 2012.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never really liked it. But we've always had great bbq around here.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:35 pm Market Watch
McDonald’s Corp. said Friday that it is bringing back the McRib for a limited time starting Dec. 2.

The sandwich will be available for a limited time on a nationwide basis, the first time the item has been available across the country since 2012.
"The McCrusty will no longer be available. The animal it was made from has gone extinct. " "The cow?" "No, think smaller, and more legs."

Never had one, and I doubt it will be among the regrets I have on my deathbed.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't think it's ever been available in Canada, but could be wrong.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

I love Popeye's Spicy Chicken Sandwich. I know if we want to save the human world we should be eating less chicken, but it is so damn good. I do not eat Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich anymore which was an old standby.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MarketWatch
McDonald’s Corp. has announced that it will be testing a plant-based sandwich, the McPlant.

The McPlant will debut next year, with expectations that markets will add the menu item “when they’re ready.”
Last year, McDonald’s tested a P.L.T. burger, which stands for plant-lettuce-tomato, with Beyond Meat Inc. The test ended without further announcement about a partnership.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Think Ill get me some greasy fish tomorrow.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The new Popeyes near me still has stupid long lines. I won't eat there, but my had me go get her something once.

Will the McPlant just be a deep-fried salad served in a sesame seed bun? If anyone can turn vegetable matter into something incredibly unhealthy, it's McDonald's.
Black Lives Matter