Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:22 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:43 am Taco Bell is going to open 5 stores in Indonesia in April by Indonesian Franchise holder of KFC and Pizza Hut.
If I wasn't already prohibited from going to Indonesia, this unholy trinity alone would dissuade me.
Indonesia have local dishes that are very good. And some of them can count as fast food.

There are also fusion Indonesia + Chinese dishes to try.

Too bad you're prohibited to come to Indonesia. :)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:41 am Indonesia have local dishes that are very good. And some of them can count as fast food.
Nasi goreng, mmm
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:41 am Too bad you're prohibited to come to Indonesia. :)
Maybe the enlightenment will reach there in my life time, but I suspect not.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Inc
Bloomberg reports that there's been something of a shortage of chickens. More specifically, the smaller chickens that sacrifice their lives so that you can have your Popeyes. And your Chick-fil-A.

And there you were thinking that any old chicken went into your favorite sandwich. You assumed it was all about the frying technique and the spices. It seems not.

The breasts of smaller chickens are tastier and require less labor to insert into a sandwich. This is something Wendy's anticipated. In 2017, it invested $30 million in smaller varieties.
Now, with chicken sandwich competition reaching severe levels, a shortage of little chickens could lead to a touch of frustration among consumers of many fast food chains.
By some peculiar twist of fortune, America saw a 10 percent increase in the existence of larger chickens last year. And a 2 percent decrease in the existence of the smaller variety.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:16 pm My only gripe is they continually remove the only items I really love.
I think that goes for most fast-food places. You have the limited-time-offers, and then you have the other items that they keep introducing and they eventually have to remove things to make room on the menu. I read an article that said Tim Hortons recently did an internal research within the company and concluded that they had way too many things on their menu that confused customers and staff and decided to dial things back and go back to more basic things.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
Burger King announced Wednesday it is removing artificial colors, flavors and preservatives from its signature Whopper sandwich in the United States.

The Restaurant Brands International chain plans to highlight the change with a global advertising campaign that shows a photo of a moldy Whopper, supposedly 28 days old, with text that reads “the beauty of no artificial preservatives.”
In 2018, McDonald’s removed artificial additives from seven classic burgers, a change that included tweaking its iconic Big Mac sauce. The Chicago-based company also rolled out fresh beef Quarter Pounders, a change that saw it regain burger market share.

More than 400 U.S. restaurants are already selling Whoppers without artificial additives. The chain expects all Whoppers sold in the U.S. to follow suit by the end of the year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish places would leave their stuff alone. They change it and its never as good.

On the plus side Krystal has brought back their fish sandwich. Then again the breading is different and its $1.50 each..ewww.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:58 am I wish places would leave their stuff alone. They change it and its never as good.
That's what I thought when I heard about Kraft removing artificial colors and flavors from their mac & cheese five years ago, but the change really didn't end up being noticeable at all.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I would think a change like this is definitely for the better. The less artificial stuff we put in us, the better. *shrug*
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:25 pm Inc
Bloomberg reports that there's been something of a shortage of chickens. More specifically, the smaller chickens that sacrifice their lives so that you can have your Popeyes. And your Chick-fil-A.

And there you were thinking that any old chicken went into your favorite sandwich. You assumed it was all about the frying technique and the spices. It seems not.

The breasts of smaller chickens are tastier and require less labor to insert into a sandwich. This is something Wendy's anticipated. In 2017, it invested $30 million in smaller varieties.
Now, with chicken sandwich competition reaching severe levels, a shortage of little chickens could lead to a touch of frustration among consumers of many fast food chains.
By some peculiar twist of fortune, America saw a 10 percent increase in the existence of larger chickens last year. And a 2 percent decrease in the existence of the smaller variety.
The comment about smaller chickens does amuse me because the breasts that Popeyes offers up when you order a 2-piece white meat meal are absolutely massive.
Hodor.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:25 pm Inc

Costco is building/acquiring their own chicken farms because of the chicken supply shortages.
mori

Post by mori »

Did not know that Burger King had a breakfast burrito until I saw the following video:

So I tried one today and it is pretty good but of course it depends if the person making it gives a shit. A lot more food than I would normally eat in the morning.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't think I've ever had a breakfast burrito I liked, despite enjoying the form factor and all ingredients involved.

In other news, the Popeyes chicken sandwich may be coming to Canada later this year.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I do not like breakfast burritos. I do not like breakfast. I do not eat breakfast.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You sir sound like Dr Seuss! Do you like green eggs and ham? :D

I'm subscribed to a channel on Youtube that primarily reviews fastfood. He's on a current trend of reviewing and eating gas-station food, making a 24hr challenge out of it. I really don't get the point.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Some would argue the first meal of the day is always breakfast, Daehawk. You cannot escape it. It is... inevitable.

I don't know if I get the point of most any of the YouTube channels I subscribe to.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I love a big greasy breakfast...just not before noon.
mori

Post by mori »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:21 pm He's on a current trend of reviewing and eating gas-station food, making a 24hr challenge out of it. I really don't get the point.
I watch a couple of Youtube channels where they happen to do convenience store eating on occasion. Of course they are in Japan and Taiwan where 7-Eleven and other convenience stores actually offer awesome food. I imagine in Canada it is a lot like the US where convenience store food has a lot to be desired. Locally Kwik Trip in the upper Midwest has stepped up their game. They offer a lot more than petrified hotdogs on the rollers. Hopefully it catches on and spreads to the others.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:33 pm I love a big greasy breakfast...just not before noon.
You like big greasy breakfasts and you cannot lie?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

mori wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:30 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:21 pm He's on a current trend of reviewing and eating gas-station food, making a 24hr challenge out of it. I really don't get the point.
I imagine in Canada it is a lot like the US where convenience store food has a lot to be desired. Locally Kwik Trip in the upper Midwest has stepped up their game.
You'd be right. To make it even more puzzling, he actually travels to the U.S sometimes and reviews gas station food. He even made a separate flight to what is claimed to be the world's biggest truck stop in Iowa, just to spend an entire day there eating their food and reviewing it. :o
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:34 pm
I imagine in Canada it is a lot like the US where convenience store food has a lot to be desired. Locally Kwik Trip in the upper Midwest has stepped up their game.
He even made a separate flight to what is claimed to be the world's biggest truck stop in Iowa, just to spend an entire day there eating their food and reviewing it. :o
I know that place well. It is between Des Moines and Davenport. A couple hundred acres in Iowa farmland filled with decodence. Between the various greasy spoons, lot lizards, and various other points of entertainment, a guy can easily make a day of it, or hell, an absurd weekend.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

mori wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:58 pm
He even made a separate flight to what is claimed to be the world's biggest truck stop in Iowa, just to spend an entire day there eating their food and reviewing it. :o
I know that place well. It is between Des Moines and Davenport. A couple hundred acres in Iowa farmland filled with decodence. Between the various greasy spoons, lot lizards, and various other points of entertainment, a guy can easily make a day of it, or hell, an absurd weekend.
And apparently has a good truck museum to boot! But it just frankly puzzles me why someone would go out of their way to expressly travel there.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:37 pm
mori wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:58 pm
And apparently has a good truck museum to boot! But it just frankly puzzles me why someone would go out of their way to expressly travel there.
Neither do I.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats up with fried chicken prices? Doesn't matter if its KFC or the local grocery store's deli...its too dang expensive. I can get 2 friend chicken breasts for $8 or I can get a whole rotisserie chicken for $5. Hmmm.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:08 pm Whats up with fried chicken prices? Doesn't matter if its KFC or the local grocery store's deli...its too dang expensive. I can get 2 friend chicken breasts for $8 or I can get a whole rotisserie chicken for $5. Hmmm.
Why not cook your own fried chicken? With a cast iron skillet, it couldn't be much simpler.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
mori

Post by mori »

Since Wendy's started serving breakfast I made a special trip to give it a try. I got the sausage,egg, cheese, crusanint combo. Nothing spectacular except the steak cut potato wedges had a more aggressive seasoning. I guess if I was really hungry I would give it another go. So Meh.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

interestingly, I went to the McDonald's drive thru to get the kids their weekly crappy meals and there was no line. At 5 pm. Not a single car besides me.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

People are adjusting to this new life.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:00 pm People are adjusting to this new life.
Yes, but I expected longer lines there, not shorter ones. Many people still can't boil water, much less cook anything decent. I figured the convenience factor of McDonalds would win out over the figuring out which restaurants are open and providing curb-side service. Guess not, though.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:48 pm interestingly, I went to the McDonald's drive thru to get the kids their weekly crappy meals and there was no line. At 5 pm. Not a single car besides me.
There were half a dozen cars in a McDonald's drive thru that I passed on my way home from work at 7:30 PM tonight. Antecdotes are fun!
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not visiting fast food. If some worker has the virus and doesn't know it and handles my burger or coughs or sneezing on it then Im doomed. Not worth it to me. I got dry beans and canned beans anyways.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:42 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:48 pm interestingly, I went to the McDonald's drive thru to get the kids their weekly crappy meals and there was no line. At 5 pm. Not a single car besides me.
There were half a dozen cars in a McDonald's drive thru that I passed on my way home from work at 7:30 PM tonight. Antecdotes are fun!
I only saw one car in the McDs drive thru as I went past at midnight. I think people have to eat up the fresh stuff they felt compelled to buy before it goes bad, and then the lines will return to McDonalds.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:08 pm Whats up with fried chicken prices? Doesn't matter if its KFC or the local grocery store's deli...its too dang expensive. I can get 2 friend chicken breasts for $8 or I can get a whole rotisserie chicken for $5. Hmmm.
I have an air fryer I can give it a try if I ever want to... Right now, I just have it cook chicken wings. Got a couple pounds of frozen wings in the freezer. Sprinkle on whatever spice mix you want on the result, or slather it with whatever sauce you want after it's done. It's pretty much set it and forget it for 10 minutes. I guess I can make my own wedges too. Those ramen flavor packets make pretty decent flavorings.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
mori

Post by mori »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:10 am
I have an air fryer I can give it a try if I ever want to... Right now, I just have it cook chicken wings. Got a couple pounds of frozen wings in the freezer. Sprinkle on whatever spice mix you want on the result, or slather it with whatever sauce you want after it's done. It's pretty much set it and forget it for 10 minutes. I guess I can make my own wedges too. Those ramen flavor packets make pretty decent flavorings.
What are you putting on your instant ramen if you are not using the flavor packets? How do you have extra?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:22 am Im not visiting fast food. If some worker has the virus and doesn't know it and handles my burger or coughs or sneezing on it then Im doomed. Not worth it to me. I got dry beans and canned beans anyways.
Smoove had a rather extensive post explaining why that is not true.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

mori wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:15 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:10 am .. Those ramen flavor packets make pretty decent flavorings.
What are you putting on your instant ramen if you are not using the flavor packets? How do you have extra?
I generally eat two packs at a time, and I only use one flavor packet as I find it a bit too salty if I use both packets.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:34 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:22 am Im not visiting fast food. If some worker has the virus and doesn't know it and handles my burger or coughs or sneezing on it then Im doomed. Not worth it to me. I got dry beans and canned beans anyways.
Smoove had a rather extensive post explaining why that is not true.
Dont recall what was said but I wouldn't believe it. If I get the virus you come over to my house and sit on the porch. ill cook you a burger and cough a lot while making it then as I hand it to you Ill sneeze all over and you eat it and see how that goes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:08 pm

Dont recall what was said but I wouldn't believe it. If I get the virus you come over to my house and sit on the porch. ill cook you a burger and cough a lot while making it then as I hand it to you Ill sneeze all over and you eat it and see how that goes.
Short version: Respiratory viruses aren't caught by digesting them. Just don't stick the burger up your nose.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:31 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:08 pm

Short version: Respiratory viruses aren't caught by digesting them. Just don't stick the burger up your nose.
And treat the container itself as an ordinary potentially contaminated surface.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Soooo how do finger cuts and hangnails feature into all this stuff?