Books Read 2016

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Books Read 2016

Post by Jeff V »

Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Criminal defender Sebastian Rudd certainly lives a colorful life. His oft-thankless job of defending the guilty is spiced up when several high-profile cases become surprisingly innocent. But with fame comes attention, not all of it good. A mobster, displeased that Rudd could not get him off death row, demands a refund after a daring escape; A kidnapper jacks him around, but eventually leads him to the daughter of a cop who was sold into sex slavery. And his lesbian ex-wife is just itching to cut him out of their son's life. But he still has his diversions, like sponsoring fighters in cage boxing. Well, until his golden boy, displeased at the outcome of a fight, pummels the referee 22 times, and the ref later dies.

The later thread wasn't completely closed off at the end of the book (maybe it was, but if so it was rushed) nor was the conflict with the ex-wife over the kid fully decided. Rudd is certainly an interesting enough character for Grisham to revisit. That said, the circumstances were rather over-the-top; police misconduct (a favorite theme of Grisham) was rampant and egregious, and it's unlikely anyone would successfully defy crime bosses in the way Rudd did on several occasions and live to tell about it. But it was a fast moving, fun book to read.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I actually put Red Seas down halfway through. I didn't like it as much as the first either. I found it very dull.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've read 3 Matt Helm books in the last month. An excellent series by Donald Hamilton. Not like the Dean Martin movies at all. A bit dated but they wear well.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Pyperkub wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Finished Red Seas Under Red Skies. Love Scott Lynch. He's fast becoming one of my favourite authors.
I didn't like that one anywhere near as much as Lies. Not sure if I'll get Republic or not.
I enjoyed Red Seas enough that I kept on with the series but I do agree its the weaker (by far) of the first two book. Republic makes up for that weakness as it is possibly better than the first. I recommend you dont allow your displeasure with Red Seas to stop you from reading Republic of Thieves, its a much better book.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

March Upcountry and March to the Sea, first two books of the Empire of Man series by David Weber and John Ringo.

Third in line for the throne of the Empire is sent off to officiate over a fishing harvest in the farthest reaches. The saboteurs from the competing empire managed to kick him out of hyperspace, and strand him and his Marine contingent on a different, even more backwater planet that's currently held by the enemy. With insufficient intel and a lack of supply lines, the Marines try to keep this pretty boy alive as they march halfway across the planet where everything is trying to kill them, from the wildlife to the four-armed locals.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Read that series a while back. And the third book: We Few.

It's a nice yarn, the marines don't have that much advanced firepower they can employ if they want to fit in nor can they carry it all across the world, not and trigger an attack by the enemy, and they basically ended up teaching the locals about everything about firearms and... much slaughter ensued in huge battles. Lots of nice extrapolations on what would happen if you have 4-armed folks in combat. Imagine them wielding revolvers and reload as they fire.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We Few is book 4. I read the first two in the Empire of Man omnibus. I have the Throne of Stars (March to the Stars , We Few) one on request, might be able to get it in the next couple weeks.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished "Weaponized" by Nicholas Mennuti and David Guggenheim
Kyle West is a wanted man. He helped a contractor create the ultimate surveillance system on US soil known as "live tap" and it got leaked, and he ran... all the way to Cambodia, hoping that neither his boss (who has every reason to silence him) or the US government (who want him to testify against his boss) find him. So when a mysterious stranger named Julian Robinson walked into Kyle's favorite cafe and offered to swap passport with him, Kyle can't believe his luck. Robinson is so much like Kyle it's almost like doppleganger, but Robinson is supremely confident, charismatic, and rich. Robinson needed Kyle's passport to get into Africa, where a lucrative deal awaits. Kyle needs Robinson's passport to get out of Cambodia. The swap was too good to be true... And it is. Robinson was not who he claimed to be, and soon Kyle is dragged off by Chinese operatives, saved by a beautiful lady assassin, chased by the CIA and local police, and found himself caught in a web he doesn't understand, with no skill other than his own mind... and time is running out for him to find out who Robinson really is...
This novel proves that Guggenheim can plot. He wrote Safe House (2012) and Stolen (2012), and is writing Bad Boys 3 and Uncharted the movie. The problem with this novel is the protagonist, Kyle West, is a real wuss. He basically lets things happen to him the whole novel, one thing after another, until near the end when he finally snapped out of it, and did something that seems to be so far out of the left field and heroic (i.e. insufficient foreshadowing) he managed to save the day.
Spoiler:
The bad guy, Julian Robinson, is about the assassinate a Chinese minister with a sniper rifle. Kyle West w/ no backup is helping the search of nearby buildings for hiding spots. He happened upon Robinson's hidey hole and was taken hostage by Robinson, who stuck a blade in his ribcage (but without killing him) and somehow, Kyle managed to pull away from the knife, strike Robinson once, then drove out a window... (forgot how many floors up) landed on a car inside the security cordon, and lived. The commotion forced the killer to abandon his shoot and escaped.
THere's another impossibility, about breaking a car window and using the glass shard as weapon. But that's relatively minor issue.

All in all, it's a tight little thriller. I guess I can give it a 6 out of 8 tentacles.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink - Costello/MacManus
The recollections of Elvis Costello. Disjointed yet fascinating. There is no straightforward timeline showing a progression of talent, experience, lessons, or rewards. Instead, there are vignettes broken into chapters which meander and time-travel unpredictably making one read and re-read sections entirely to figure out what timeframe is being recalled.
From stories about growing up as the son of a band singer, crossing paths with the absolute stars of the musical universe (including his varied influences and deep respect for those genres), to his maturation as a person and not simply an artist, the individual snapshots are wonderful. However, as noted, the free-association approach to writing within each vignette was confusing and took me wholly out of wonder at least once every few pages.
Recommended for aficionados of not only EC but of the musical era, though the caution flag is thrown.
Writing: 3 o' 8 tentacles
Story: 6 o' 8 tentacles
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie

Audiobook to and from work. A good, extensive review of her life from being under the thumb of an overbearing mother to supreme ruler over the largest domain in the world.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All Hands Down: The True Story of the Soviet Attack on the USS Scorpion by Kenneth Sewell, Jerome Preisler

The USS Scorpion was lost with all hands in May 1968. The official reports have never given an official explanation. This book spins a tale of Soviet vengeance, that the Scorpion was sunk in retaliation for the loss of the K-129, lost in 1960, supposedly with a collision with the USS Swordfish, with attachments to the John Walker spy story.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jolor wrote:Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink - Costello/MacManus
If you're done with it, you ought to gift your copy to YellowKing :twisted:
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Jeff V wrote:
Jolor wrote:Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink - Costello/MacManus
If you're done with it, you ought to gift your copy to YellowKing :twisted:
I'm guessing by the "twisted" smilie that a hearty recommendation to reserve a copy at the local library would not be welcome?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Reading "Jesse's Starship", it's written by someone who did ZERO research on military, can't tell SEAL from Army special forces (SEALs don't have "Colonels") and have no idea which weapons are available where (who uses UZIs in the US when Ingram MAC 10's are much more popular?) It's almost... hilarious how the guy tries to spin the plot while the details are all wrong.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Does anyone in the US military still use Mac 10s?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And it left production in 1986.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was talking about assassins and such.

Besides, not even Special Forces use UZIs. They use MP5's (or variants) and/or UMPs.

The author's knowledge of guns is roughly at the level of "the assassin kicked down the door and sprayed the hospital bed with the UZi. (hero) put a bullet through his temple."

Frankly, if they can get multiple assassins into a MILITARY hospital, they should be using full on military gear. Our friendly military do NOT use SMGs unless they're "operators" and only for special circumstances.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety

A look at the history of nuclear weapons: the design,s , the accidents, the lies, and the danger that lay over the world for decades, set against the backdrop of a Titan II explosion in the silo in Arkansas in 1980.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finished three books over the past week:

Horror Movie A Day by Brian Collins.

Several years ago, Brian Collins decided to begin watching one horror movie a day. He kept it up for six years. This book is a compilation of reviews for his picks of the best and most interesting, one for each day of a full calendar year. He keeps things interesting by giving each month a particular theme, and while I'd never attempt to actually watch all of these, his reviews are entertaining. He intentionally stayed away from mainstream flicks that most horror fans have seen, so the book is a treasure trove for horror fans who need suggestions on something to watch. The only downside is that a lot of these films are hard to find (I tried), so you may have some frustration trying to track them all down.

Tudor: Passion. Manipulation. Murder. The Story of England's Most Notorious Royal Family by Leanda de Lisle

This is an exhaustive (and somewhat dry) history of the Tudors. I found it fascinating from a historical perspective, but it is written almost like a reference book with copious footnotes that make reading it a bit of a chore. I found it nearly impossible to keep up with the number of names and titles thrown around, and since it covers such a large swatch of history you rarely linger on one personality long enough to become familiar with them. Still, I'm glad I read it since I learned far more about English history than maybe I ever wanted to know. At the very least, it gave me a renewed appreciation for the amazing (and harsh) lives that people lived back then.

Modern Horrors: An A to Z of Horror Movie Reviews by Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg basically got his start reviewing horror movies on his own website, so as you read through this massive collection you sometimes catch his early amateurish efforts clashing with more polished reviews from years later. I was interested in this book, however, because it only covers films from 2000-2015. Reading a book of reviews straight-through probably isn't the best way to do things, as you start noticing the same turns of phrase over and over again, but I did discover a lot of new films I want to check out. Sometimes he's overly generous (Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds), or unduly harsh (the guy absolutely loathes Rob Zombie to a point that borders on ridiculousness), but all in all he's a horror fan who has seen a LOT of movies and has a fairly keen eye for what fans will enjoy and what they won't.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Reading "Furiously Happy" by Jenny Lawson

An author's refusal to be beat down by her mental illness, and all the hilarious hijinks that resulted from it. The "hugging raccoon" on the cover was a taxidermy from a roadkill (yes, there's a LONG story behind it). There's the story about how her dad almost bought her 1/3rd of a dead giraffe, how she tried to put socks on her cats to "help" them enjoy their new "waterbed" (plastic bag of water, which does NOT mix with cat claws) 2 in the morning... how she woke up with her arms asleep, tried to roll out of bed to shut the alarm off, and ended up doing a faceplant on the carpet... how she arrived at psychiatrist for appointment, only to be told there is no appointment ("Am I going... nuts?") before realizing... wrong doctor.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finished The Queen's Poisoner by Jeff Wheeler.

In this new fantasy series, young Owen Kiskaddon is taken from his family and sent to live with a wicked king. There he befriends the mysterious Ankarette, the Queen's poisoner, and through her learns that he may have powers he never suspected...

As far as fantasy books go this one was very light, but I found that rather refreshing. I'm still working my way through some of Brandon Sanderson's stuff which is at times almost overwhelmingly dense, so to be able to snack on an entertaining little slice of fantasy like this was a nice break. While entertaining, it is told completely from a child's point of view which can be a little limiting. I'm really curious to read the next volume which takes place nine years later and finds Owen as an adult who has come to terms with his new role in the kingdom.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I had thought about picking up The Queen's Poisoner awhile back. I think I'll give it a try. Sometimes light is good. Right now I'm reading the first Malazan Book of the Fallen and it is not light. I'm about 200 pages in and if there's a cohesive storyline I have yet to find it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i re-read Edith Wharton's _Ethan Frome_ (previous time was 22 years ago) and it turns out i completely mis-remembered the ending...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I couldn't get past the first 20 pages. It's even name-checked in Grosse Point Blank as a horrible book. Something something pickle dish.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Finished Through Black Spruce, Joseph Boyden's followup to his debut Three Day Road. I liked it, not loved it. At least not on the same level as TDR, and the contemporary nature of this one took some getting used to seeing as the first one was historical fiction. Was still a beautiful story though. Just didn't connect to it on the same level.

Just started reading Bruno, Chief of Police #1 by Martin Walker. I've only just started, but can tell I'll like it a lot. It's about a police chief in a small village in France, and it's got a light quirky style to it. Doesn't take itself too seriously.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Been reading Charles Stross' Merchant Princes series - really fun stuff. I think he's my favorite SF Author right now (the Laundry series is fun fluff, but the Halting State and Accelerando SF is fascinating).

Fun fact I just picked up today - he invented the githyanki (and other monsters in the Fiend Folio, and used to write about AD&D for White Dwarf). The githyanki were based upon a race GRRM created in his first book, Dying of the Light (which I remember reading in the 70's).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Children of Earth and Sky - Kay

Kay continues to show how small events, often initiated by minor players in history (should they be remembered at all) have consequential impacts. While this historic piece is based upon our own "real history" he separates himself (and the reader) from the need to hover over minutiae by creating a "near-history" of places and events. This allows him to create backstories and motivations while maintaining the feel of the time period. Minor fantastical elements are introduced (the ability, in specific circumstances, to communicate with the deceased) but they hardly force the story into a pure fantasy realm.

The key characters are introduced quickly and it is not always clear who shall be a major or minor impact on history's arc. It is a love story, an adventure, a coming-of-age, and (for there are many stories that history can tell) accomplishes all well. Destinies are gained and lost; and not always as one would have predicted given the good intentions of those involved.

Similar in pacing and intent to his other major works 'River of Stars' and 'Under Heaven' it falls just short of matching the level of those works - but to do so would have been too much to ask.

7 o' 8 tentacles
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Outrider - John

"In the very near future, the United States' energy needs are supplied by enormous solar farms the size of a small state. The panels generate an energy field that prevents ordinary machinery and electronics from functioning. The fields have to be guarded and tended by men on horseback: the Outriders.

New Las Vegas is ruled with an iron fist by Mayor Franklin Dreg and his quietly competent personal assistant, Timothy Hale. Crisis erupts when Hale discovers someone has been stealing energy-siphoning it out of the New Las Vegas grid under cover of darkness. As the Outriders investigate, the scale of the thieving becomes clear: these aren't ordinary energy leechers. These are high-tech terrorists, or revolutionaries engaged in a mysterious and dangerous enterprise that could bring down the entire energy grid and the city it supports."

I was intrigued by the premise but disappointed in the execution. The characters are quickly and obviously established. It does do a good job of contrasting life in the Sunfield versus life in a Utopian, hi-tech super-city and the early character establishment does let them play true-to-form from the onset.

4 o' 8 tentacles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.

Joe Hill, son of Stephen King, is quickly making a name for himself as a horror master on par with his dad. His first two novels, Heart-Shaped Box and Horns were very well received, and his Locke & Key graphic novels are considered modern classics.

NOS4ATU ups the ante even further. It's an epic horror novel (995 pages), and introduces villain Charlie Manx who kidnaps children and takes them to an alternate reality called "Christmasland." Victoria McQueen, a girl with the power to travel realities herself, is the only child to have ever escaped Manx's clutches.....and years later, as a grown woman, she finds herself face to face with him once again.

This was a terrific book that never felt its length. Joe Hill has his father's knack for creating characters you genuinely care about. Combined with the fantastic imagery throughout, this was one I couldn't put down. It will also make you never feel the same about Christmas again. :D

His newest novel, The Fireman, is also getting rave reviews. This guy just keeps getting better and better, and I'm really excited that King's horror legacy is being passed down to a guy with such talent.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Having just bought The Fireman and not knowing anything about Joe Hill I'm glad to hear such a positive review. Thanks YK
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote:NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.

This guy just keeps getting better and better, and I'm really excited that King's horror legacy is being passed down to a guy with such talent.
Neat.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One Hundred Victories: Special Ops and the Future of American Warfare

A slightly repetitive book that looks at the Special Ops teams in Afghanistan and their efforts to stand Afghan Local Police and engage in Village Stability Operations.

The Demon in the Freezer: A True Story by Robert Preston

A fun jaunt through the worlds of smallpox eradication and the anthrax letter attacks. I'm sure it's high on Smoove's nighttime reading list.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Scuzz wrote:I can see how the writing style could turn you off. I think maybe I finally reached a point where I just ignored the technical stuff because I didn't need it, I just assumed it was good science but didn't need to know it.
Exactly what I did. And when I started just skipping past the parts/pages where he was doing mental math, and "showing his work" to the reader, it went much faster for me.

But after digesting it as a whole, I realized that if this was good science, and even Mars-accurate, I would much prefer to just read an actual science journal or article about the challenges on Mars. If it's NOT, then ugh. Just acts as an obstacle to the pretty thin story IMO. The problem (for me), is that I think the pseudo-technical jargon part IS the story...or at least a large part of it. The main character here seems to be "presumed Mars science/physics", which I think was the surprise/disappointment for me.

I picked up my iPhone 6 (Apple, Inc.). I started reading 'The Martian' (Andy Weir). I read 279 electronic pages, which would translate to roughly1456\9=161.777 pages in an actual paper book. Then I stopped and took a break. I put my phone (iPhone 6, remember?!) on the counter, face up, which I had been using to read the book via the Kindle app, owned by Amazon. Then, after eating a small snack consisting of 8 potato chips, and a banana, I resumed my reading of 'The Martian'. I picked up my iPhone 6, slid to unlock the phone, slid 2 pages to find my Kindle app, and opened the app, which was on the 3rd row from the top, 2nd icon over. I then picked up where I left off before my snack. I proceeded to read 18 more pages before I realized that I disliked the book due to the writing style. I stopped reading, and opened the Amazon app. I wanted to read reviews. Reviews of the book. I wanted to read reviews of the book to see what other had said about it. I wanted to read reviews of the book to read what others had said, and why they liked it so much. I read through 18 reviews, sorted by "most helpful", then by DATE, and read the top 7 reviews. They were all good. They really liked the book. Actually, they loved the book. They loved the book so much that it made ME want to love the book too, so I continued reading..."

:P
i'm on page 5 and these exact issues are already making me want to quit.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Reading Star Crusader: Hero of the Alliance current on sale for $0.99

Mix up a bit of Wing Commander, Last Starfighter, Space Above and Beyond, and some other space opera, and you got Star Crusader.
Human Alliance has a treaty with the Byotai Empire, and one thing they have in common is the love of Star Crusader videogame... which is a thinly disguised tool for the respective Star Academies to recruit future pilots, and every year, six of the top scorers from the Alliance will join an exchange program and study fighter tactics and training in the Byotai Empire. One of them is Nate Lewis, who has an illustrious ancestor, Admiral Lewis, hero of the Alliance. Unfortunately, only days after their arrival, a deeply hidden rebellion within the Byotai Empire made itself known. The commoners went after the officers/leaders (the patricians) with a vengeance. Only the timely arrival of marines allowed the cadets and one lucky Byotai officer to escape, and some very fancy flying got them to one of the escaping Alliance ships, the Relentless, an armored assault ship, relic from another era. And she was the ONLY Alliance ship to escape from the Byotai starbase, even as she fought off waves of enemies who has no intention of letting her escape. The cadets and the few evacuated civilians are quickly pressed into service, as the ship was damaged and was running on a skeleton crew (most of the main crew never made it to the ship). The pilots that were supposed to man the fighters are dead or wounded seriously enough to never fly again. The six cadets, who had never flown in combat, is the last chance of the ship to have any fighter cover, and the sole surviving pilot, Lt. Higgins, have only days to whip them into shape, as the ship is jumping to a location that was a designated rendezvous point, but is in all likelihood, another trap. Time is running out, and Crusader Squadron is all that stands between survival... and annihilation.
There are four other books in the series, and they are not too bad, if a bit grim.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished Star Crusader, not too bad. Very reminiscent of the Wing Commander novels. Five and a half tentacles.

Finished "Decisively Engaged: Warp Marine Corp Book 1"

In the not too distant future... Earthlings have gone to the stars... after reconstructing from a devastating unprovoked strike by hostile aliens then saved by friendly aliens. The United Stars of America has an embassy on a more primitive world Jasper V, guarded by a single platoon of the dreaded warp marines and the small but deadly warp navy. Humans are the only known specie in the galaxy that is capable of withstanding warp travel (but not all humans can, only a small percentage can do so, repeatedly, without ill effects). This made them fearsome warriors, with the dreaded warp catapult... one-way warp teleporters capable of sending over an armed squad at a time. Normally nobody bothered the American delegation, but an agent from a distant hostile star polity is making trouble... secretly feeding the opposition with high tech weapons they're not supposed to have... and fomenting a mass attack intending full slaughter of the entire American population on Jasper V. With only a platoon of marines, some mercenaries, and a couple hundred civilians hurriedly pressed into service, the new CO has to defend the compound against both "alien" wave attacks as well as the high tech weapons smuggled to the planet, and he knows the compound does not have enough resources to withstand a siege. The only solution may be a suicide run, but the alternative is death of all aliens on Jasper V...

It painted an interesting future... If an "evil" alien race just came into orbit and for no particular reason, started nuking the population centers (actually they did something worse, they had a special forcefield warhead and enclosed the area, then started a fireball that burned everything within) just for the heck of it. 60% of the earth population died, but not immediately. All of the existing political machinery are gone, as most of East Coast is gone, as are the west. Mormon became the primary religion, as it was discovered later that religious prayer seems to help people cope with warp madness. It also painted humans as the primary innovators among the galactic polities... We may not be the best in tech, but we're the best innovators, introducing warp shields and warp catapults to space combat.

The book was mainly centered on basically a "Fallujah" Benghazi siege type scenario, where a bunch of guards had to protect the compound from a crowd as well as better armed foes. While the humans may have more advanced weapons than the slug throwers the locals have, it's not foolproof. The end seems to be a bit rushed with a bit of too *deus ex machina* ending.

However, it's a fun tale. The weapons are consistent enough, and writing seem to be of sufficient quality that I detect no major plot holes (unlike one of the earlier books). Book 2 is also on sale for $1 so I already bought that. We shall see if the author can keep it up.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
Scuzz wrote:I can see how the writing style could turn you off. I think maybe I finally reached a point where I just ignored the technical stuff because I didn't need it, I just assumed it was good science but didn't need to know it.
Exactly what I did. And when I started just skipping past the parts/pages where he was doing mental math, and "showing his work" to the reader, it went much faster for me.

But after digesting it as a whole, I realized that if this was good science, and even Mars-accurate, I would much prefer to just read an actual science journal or article about the challenges on Mars. If it's NOT, then ugh. Just acts as an obstacle to the pretty thin story IMO. The problem (for me), is that I think the pseudo-technical jargon part IS the story...or at least a large part of it. The main character here seems to be "presumed Mars science/physics", which I think was the surprise/disappointment for me.

I picked up my iPhone 6 (Apple, Inc.). I started reading 'The Martian' (Andy Weir). I read 279 electronic pages, which would translate to roughly1456\9=161.777 pages in an actual paper book. Then I stopped and took a break. I put my phone (iPhone 6, remember?!) on the counter, face up, which I had been using to read the book via the Kindle app, owned by Amazon. Then, after eating a small snack consisting of 8 potato chips, and a banana, I resumed my reading of 'The Martian'. I picked up my iPhone 6, slid to unlock the phone, slid 2 pages to find my Kindle app, and opened the app, which was on the 3rd row from the top, 2nd icon over. I then picked up where I left off before my snack. I proceeded to read 18 more pages before I realized that I disliked the book due to the writing style. I stopped reading, and opened the Amazon app. I wanted to read reviews. Reviews of the book. I wanted to read reviews of the book to see what other had said about it. I wanted to read reviews of the book to read what others had said, and why they liked it so much. I read through 18 reviews, sorted by "most helpful", then by DATE, and read the top 7 reviews. They were all good. They really liked the book. Actually, they loved the book. They loved the book so much that it made ME want to love the book too, so I continued reading..."

:P
i'm on page 5 and these exact issues are already making me want to quit.
finished - if this had been instead released as a theoretical 'how to survive on Mars?' reader without the cardboard characters, stilted dialog, easily surmountable situations, lame attempts at humor and general lack of literary merit, i would've been ok with that.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

YellowKing wrote:NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.

Joe Hill, son of Stephen King, is quickly making a name for himself as a horror master on par with his dad. His first two novels, Heart-Shaped Box and Horns were very well received, and his Locke & Key graphic novels are considered modern classics.

NOS4ATU ups the ante even further. It's an epic horror novel (995 pages), and introduces villain Charlie Manx who kidnaps children and takes them to an alternate reality called "Christmasland." Victoria McQueen, a girl with the power to travel realities herself, is the only child to have ever escaped Manx's clutches.....and years later, as a grown woman, she finds herself face to face with him once again.

This was a terrific book that never felt its length. Joe Hill has his father's knack for creating characters you genuinely care about. Combined with the fantastic imagery throughout, this was one I couldn't put down. It will also make you never feel the same about Christmas again. :D

His newest novel, The Fireman, is also getting rave reviews. This guy just keeps getting better and better, and I'm really excited that King's horror legacy is being passed down to a guy with such talent.
One of the things I like about Joe Hill is that when I first read Heart Shaped Box, I had no idea that he was Stephen Kings son. It wasnt until later I found out that he choose to go by Joe Hill because he wanted to forge his own legacy and not ride on his fathers coattails. He has succeeded. In some ways hes become a better writer than his father at least when it comes to writing the endings to novels.
If you havent read it, give Heart Shaped Box a try, its an excellent story and it will introduce you to an excellent writer.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Finished Bruno, Chief of Police and was very impressed. Well-written and very enjoyable mystery novel that was a lot deeper than I thought it would be, with a bit of history thrown in. Now I can look forward to reading the others in the series.

Now onto Speak by Lousia Hall.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished No price too high: Warp Marines Book 2 sequel to Decisively Engaged: Warp Marines Book 1

The Terran forces may have survived Jasper V, but elsewhere war is just heating up as it's bad to worse everywhere else. The "Vipers" and the "Lampreys" are just getting started, and the Imperium is just spinning up, and they are bullying the neutrals into either stepping aside or join them, and Terran forces simply don't have the industrial capacity to go on a war of attrition. We follow three sets of characters... Captain Fromm and his band of warp marines, Captain Zhang who had to switch over to Marines to get back into space, and the CIA operative who's operating in neutral space undercover and discover a backstabbing plot. The ancient edict of no orbital bombardment still stands... so if enemies want to take a planet, they have to physically land and take on the planetary defense centers, and the warp marines are standing by, but that still means Humans are doomed in space... Until they decided to go where no one has gone before... warp fighters. Imagine a fighter with a 5-shot graviton cannon... Warp in, take a shot, warp out. One shot can punch through almost any shield. Five shot and even a dreadnought is toast. Only humans can withstand the warp stress, and hopefully not go nuts, and thus only humans can come up with this insane idea. Elsewhere, the CIA operatives are trying to rescue as many humans from neutral territories as possible, while slowing down enemies of humanities and gather intelligence. The humans may be doomed, but they are determined to go down fighting...

The separate groups don't quite meld back into a single battle, but close. The rapid cutting makes for a decently paced plot, and the local successes only highlights the overall almost futile struggle of the humankind... and hints that the danger of warp space, and why humans are feared and to be exterminated by others. I look forward to Book 3, whenever that is written.