[SyFy]Expanse

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rittchard

Re: [SyFy]Expanse

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:01 pm Hot damn, that was some season finale. :shock:

I will admit though that I'm not entirely sure what happened in the last 10 minutes or so. :?
LMAO I thought it was just me!!

The funniest thing was there were like 5 scene ends which I thought were the episode conclusion. Then it was like... no there's still a little more. And more.. and more... and then BOOM. WTF!!!

While I really love the show I was kind of disappointed all season that they did the "split group" scenario. I love seeing the gang together and even though it was kind of cool to have some side adventures, all in all with so few episodes it's kind of a bummer. The finale kind of makes up for it but in more of a "wait till next season" kind of way.

Also I'm curious what you thought of....
Spoiler:
The Alex death sequence. I knew he wouldn't be in the next season but do you think it was written that way or that they modified things late to explain his death? It seemed so random and weird.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Seems like they definitely changed things in edit for Alex. That was indeed jarring, and does not match what was 'supposed' to happen.

I can def see how the last 10 min would be confusing for anyone who hasn't read the books. It will become clear early next season if they follow the books at all.
Spoiler:
Remember those Martians who were collaborating with Inaros? Those were they, and they have a plan. Let's just say they're eyeing the long game.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

rittchard wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:23 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:01 pm Hot damn, that was some season finale. :shock:

I will admit though that I'm not entirely sure what happened in the last 10 minutes or so. :?
LMAO I thought it was just me!!

The funniest thing was there were like 5 scene ends which I thought were the episode conclusion. Then it was like... no there's still a little more. And more.. and more... and then BOOM. WTF!!!

While I really love the show I was kind of disappointed all season that they did the "split group" scenario. I love seeing the gang together and even though it was kind of cool to have some side adventures, all in all with so few episodes it's kind of a bummer. The finale kind of makes up for it but in more of a "wait till next season" kind of way.

Also I'm curious what you thought of....
Spoiler:
The Alex death sequence. I knew he wouldn't be in the next season but do you think it was written that way or that they modified things late to explain his death? It seemed so random and weird.
I didn't remember that happening in the books, so it may have been a last minute retcon.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apparently the actor who
Spoiler:
played Alex is going through a bit of trouble with a bunch of sexual harassment accusations, hence his hasty departure. I suspect that was the reason for the abrupt and most likely unplanned stroke that took his character's life.
Okay, my questions:
Spoiler:
What was the "ship" hovering in the skies above the Martian colony world? Was it a protomolecule structure?

What was happening ON the Martian colony world?

But if it's stuff that's supposed to be unrevealed until the next season, just tell me to wait for it.
And I'm still not a fan of the actor who plays Marco. He portrays him too much like a comic book villain.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ah, I assumed that the issues with Alex's actor were well-known. In that sense, yes,
Spoiler:
he was definitely killed off as a major change from the books, and as a fairly last-minute thing. I just can't remember whether that brouhaha kerfuffle came up after or before filming. The way it was edited made me think after (he just died with literally no visibility of the event onscreen, and then it was addressed afterward via one small scene).
Spoiler answers for hepcat:
Spoiler:
1) The protomolecule is involved.

2) Wait for it.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But I want instant gratification NOW!!!

ah well, i'll wait for it.

By the way, I just realized that the actress playing Karal this season is Olunike Adeliyi. She's utterly fantastic in the sequel to He Never Died, titled appropriately enough, She Never Died. I think folks are going to be seeing more of her in the future, if the acclaim she's getting for her work these days is any indication.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:56 pm
Spoiler:
Ah, I assumed that the issues with Alex's actor were well-known. In that sense, yes, he was definitely killed off as a major change from the books, and as a fairly last-minute thing.
Um...that’s a pretty major spoiler Zax.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoops, I didn't even notice that.

Bad moderator, zax! Bad! :lol:
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:45 pm
Spoiler:
Ah, I assumed that the issues with Alex's actor were well-known. In that sense, yes, he was definitely killed off as a major change from the books, and as a fairly last-minute thing.
Sorry--it was news many months ago that
Spoiler:
Alex was written off the show. I'll go back and spoiler it, but I would consider this to be common knowledge at this point. Sorry!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Not moderating the hell out of that.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:52 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:45 pm
Spoiler:
Sorry--it was news many months ago that
Spoiler:
Alex was written off the show. I'll go back and spoiler it, but I would consider this to be common knowledge at this point. Sorry!
I knew he had been written out (that's common knowledge at this point, I think), but there's lots of different ways that can happen in the show. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 pm I knew he had been written out (that's common knowledge at this point, I think), but there's lots of different ways that can happen in the show. :)
Spoiler:
At least they didn't vent him out an airlock.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I’m pretty sure that
Spoiler:
Alex was written off after they had already filmed most/all of the season. There’s an image you can probably Google showing him in one of the last scenes on Luna, so they clearly had to airbrush him out. I can’t imagine that his death would’ve been done in the same way if that had been the plan all along; as others have said it was super jarring and I really didn’t realize what was happening until the next scene.
As for the ending
Spoiler:
I’ve read the books so I know what they’re getting at, but I thought next season was the last. Are they really going to try to resolve both the Marco plot and the new Laconia plot in one season?

Also, even though I’ve read the books, I wasn’t 100% sure what happened to the Martian ship when it passed through the gate. Was that supposed to be showing that they got disintegrated (or whatever happens when ships sometimes go through the ring and disappear?
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:56 pm Ah, I assumed that the issues with Alex's actor were well-known. In that sense, yes,
Spoiler:
he was definitely killed off as a major change from the books, and as a fairly last-minute thing. I just can't remember whether that brouhaha kerfuffle came up after or before filming. The way it was edited made me think after (he just died with literally no visibility of the event onscreen, and then it was addressed afterward via one small scene).
I don't pay attention to Hollywood news and had no idea that was coming.
Spoiler:
It was so random and unexpected that I actually had to replay the discussion in sick bay with Naomi to be sure I'd heard it correctly. What an ignominious end for a major character.
I figured it was probably a contract dispute or something like that. He deserved better.

Having not read the books, the ending left me baffled. I trust that they'll sort it out for me in next season's opener.

I have to say there were numerous examples of the little details that this show does so well, like when Amos dropped that bottle in 1/6 g and it took so long to fall. That one was obvious. You had to really be looking to notice the wine glasses during the party scene. The surface of the wine was moving like a viscous liquid, again because of the low gravity. I love those details that most viewers won't even notice.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When I saw:
Spoiler:
Alex's display turn red, I thought he got too close to the proximity bomb. I think that would have been a much better ending for him. Sure, the Roci would have had to rescue Bobbi and Naomi, but they always poo poo interplanetary travel time.
And:
Spoiler:
Yes, that Martian ship got disappeared as it went through the gate.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Yeah I had heard the news but for some reason I thought it was too late for them to act upon and it would be dealt with next year.

Agree on the Marco actor, I can't stand him or his son. I feel like they could have done better casting both of them, although the son does really look like he could be their son lol.

I haven't read the books but in an interview Amos said the TV show would basically end with Book 6 (I think - Babylon's Ashes) which was a good stopping point since there is a big time jump before the next book in the series.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:20 pm
And:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I assumed this was related to the second set of aliens that the Rocinante's captain said he kept seeing everytime he went through a ring.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On that topic, I saw an interesting post by someone who supposedly read the books. All they wrote was
Spoiler:
The architects are mad.
Covfefe!
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

rittchard wrote:Yeah I had heard the news but for some reason I thought it was too late for them to act upon and it would be dealt with next year.

Agree on the Marco actor, I can't stand him or his son. I feel like they could have done better casting both of them, although the son does really look like he could be their son lol.

I haven't read the books but in an interview Amos said the TV show would basically end with Book 6 (I think - Babylon's Ashes) which was a good stopping point since there is a big time jump before the next book in the series.
Having read the books, I think the casting is perfect. Theyve shifted some of the plotting and dynamics as its harder to convey a personality entirely built on shifting goalposts on screen rather than on paper, but thats him from the books. A sexy donald trump. Ew.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Combustible Lemur

hepcat wrote:On that topic, I saw an interesting post by someone who supposedly read the books. All they wrote was
Spoiler:
The architects are mad.
Spoiler:
That's interesting because it seems to me that the architects are dead, and whatever did it is hungry

Combustible Lemur

Jaymann wrote:When I saw:
Spoiler:
Alex's display turn red, I thought he got too close to the proximity bomb. I think that would have been a much better ending for him. Sure, the Roci would have had to rescue Bobbi and Naomi, but they always poo poo interplanetary travel time.
And:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I thought it was great. They've talked about stroking out in every reference to high-g maneuvers books and show since episode 1. Somebody FINALLY stroked out. Particularly sisnce they can't do the one slotted for babylons ashes.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:48 am
hepcat wrote:On that topic, I saw an interesting post by someone who supposedly read the books. All they wrote was
Spoiler:
The architects are mad.
Spoiler:
That's interesting because it seems to me that the architects are dead, and whatever did it is hungry
I'd lean toward the former, but who knows.

Amazon explanation of the ending. Obviously spoilery for the episode.

Combustible Lemur

Zaxxon wrote:
Combustible Lemur wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:48 am
Spoiler:
The architects are mad.
Spoiler:
I'd lean toward the former, but who knows.

Amazon explanation of the ending. Obviously spoilery for the episode.

Spoiler:
As far as I've gotten in the books beginning of persepolis. The architects built a galactic empire based on matter reappropriation technology one tool of which is the protomolecule. At some point they developed "worm hole/ higher dimensional portal tech, exploiting the dimensions wrapping around our recognizable dimension, the infinite void between the particles of atoms. This caught the attention of whatever beings already lived in this void (the things that move in the void) and don't seemingly crossover/down much. The eye of an angry god being the only three dimensional vessel. Except that during the time of the architects enough interaction happened that it may be inferred the architects burned whole systems and gates to cauterize places the void beings invaded (holdens vision) . Though the slow zone seems to be the biggest crossover space so i dont know how that squares.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Just finished the season - liked it a lot.
Spoiler:
Might be my favorite season. I think it helped that the protomolecule stuff was only a very minor part of the season.

Didn't expect Alex's death - at first I thought the writers were trying to manipulate us (prepare us for the death of Naomi, and then surprise us by making it Alex that died), but learning that it wasn't originally planned that way makes it feel better, and as Amos states, it was a good way to go out (even though they had to explain it afterwards - I wish I'd been reminded that it was a risk (assuming they did tell us earlier)).

There were some parts where I got confused (some of the stuff Naomi was doing on the ship, for example, and that 5 vs 1 fight confused me and I had to read a synopsis to understand what was going on). And I find the amount of coincidences a bit much (like Naomi's two lovers being the really bad bad guy and the really good good guy, that the Roci crew is always directly involved with all the major events, etc.). But otherwise excellent.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Enjoyed the season, but I didn't like the release schedule. With all the crew off on their own sub-stories, it would be a couple of weeks before getting movement on some of the story lines. And one story line needed better direction /editing - it had far too much of a one note performance, same shots, same performance, same lack of character development. They could have done that story line much better.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Note about defiant's spoiler :
Spoiler:
I remember reading over the spring /summer that the actor playing that character may have had some metoo issues, which made me sad. Having not finished the books (on book 2 now) , I don't know that it was related to what happened or not.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Combustible Lemur

Pyperkub wrote:Note about defiant's spoiler :
Spoiler:
I remember reading over the spring /summer that the actor playing that character may have had some metoo issues, which made me sad. Having not finished the books (on book 2 now) , I don't know that it was related to what happened or not.
Spoiler:
Yeah, Kas anvar was allegedly using the convention circuit to trawl for young women including some underage girls. Supposedly investigated and confirmed with multiple text chains.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Owch, that would be bad. Feel better about the consequences for him.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Are you talking about the
Spoiler:
space battle? If so, then yes, I was very confused - I had trouble telling which ship was which, who was on what side, and what ship was doing what to what ship. Everything happened so fast.
That said, I saw this video on Space Dock that totally explained that and it really helped me understand appreciate (afterwards) exactly what was going on:

After seeing this, I thought, very cool, just wished I had understood it at the time!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cool, thanks!
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, that was pretty cool. Thanks!

stessier

Post by stessier »

From that video he says "a lesser show would have forgotten that", but it was a key point in the book and the only was the fleet was going to win there. I just think the authors deserve the credit.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just discovered this show and spent the past few months binging on it. It definitely had some of the best sci fi moments I've ever experienced in a show. It took me a little while to get over the fact that they are allowed to have this badass ship, but other than that I have no issues with the show. I love the characters, love the story and am extremely impressed with the way they handle physics. The video above is just one more reason to love it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I will definitely get it, but will wait for a used copy.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:I will definitely get it, but will wait for a used copy.
The library is also a good option. I'm reading book six now as an ebook from the library. The regular ebooks are too expensive and never go on sale that I can tell.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:18 am
The library is also a good option. I'm reading book six now as an ebook from the library. The regular ebooks are too expensive and never go on sale that I can tell.
Ah, but they do.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I also have some audiobook credits if that is an option.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just call pyperkub. He’ll read ‘em to you over the phone.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:20 am
Ah, but they do.
Ok, once in two years.