[SyFy]Expanse

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: [SyFy]Expanse

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 am Just a bump to reiterate the post above mine -- and to make sure your DVR is all set!

EDIT: You know what's weird? I picked up the first book and I just can't get into it. Not sure if it's the pacing or the author's style, but I enjoy the show so much more - which is a rarity for me.
I really like the books. The first one started a bit slow, especially compared to the show, but it really picks up. I powered through all seven in the last few months and it only took that long because I had to wait for them to be available through my local library.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

:pop:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Actually just finished watching seasons 1 and 2 about a week ago. I got tired of seeing this thread show up and I had never bothered to look--once I did I gave the show a shot and now I'm looking forward to new episodes as well.

On demand is so spoiling / entitling though. It almost makes me want to wait until I can watch them all at once.

Almost.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks for the reminder!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:15 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 am Just a bump to reiterate the post above mine -- and to make sure your DVR is all set!

EDIT: You know what's weird? I picked up the first book and I just can't get into it. Not sure if it's the pacing or the author's style, but I enjoy the show so much more - which is a rarity for me.
I really like the books. The first one started a bit slow, especially compared to the show, but it really picks up. I powered through all seven in the last few months and it only took that long because I had to wait for them to be available through my local library.
Same! I powered through all of the books, getting completely hooked on them and really looking forward to the next one. Oh, and thanks for the big recap last night, took me a moment to recall where the show had left off last year. :D
-mf
Jag

Post by Jag »

What a great season opener. Just hit the gas and kept going. My favorite show right now and up there with the best already.

Really too bad more people aren't watching it. This is why we get Roseanne reboots instead of more amazing sci-fi.

If anyone listens too podcasts, The Churn does a cast after each episode and usually has a cast member and book writer on the show.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I just finished my rewatch of Season 2 on Blu Ray last night to prep for Season 3. Hope to finally get to the opener tonight.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Great episode! All except for the annoying blondie protester-speech writer, what worthless filler. I remember seeing her on some other sci-fi series and couldn't stand her there either. How does she keep getting work, is she married to the producer?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:27 pm Great episode! All except for the annoying blondie protester-speech writer, what worthless filler. I remember seeing her on some other sci-fi series and couldn't stand her there either. How does she keep getting work, is she married to the producer?
She was on Revolution. Took awhile to remember that very forgettable show. And yeah she is annoying and wasn't in the books. I hate when they go off book for the worse.
Montag

Post by Montag »

She is in the books. A lesbian pastor.
Spoiler:
she is the one who convinced an Uber rich woman to buy the roci and got it gifted to the crew
words
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Yup, they introduced her way earlier than in the books. But they introduced Christjian (sp) early also. I just hope her acting gets better.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Montag wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:11 pm She is in the books. A lesbian pastor.
Spoiler:
she is the one who convinced an Uber rich woman to buy the roci and got it gifted to the crew
Ok. I just didn't remember. I read the older books so long ago.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Book (and maybe future show?) spoilers:
Spoiler:
She plays a pretty large role in the books once they get to the slow-zone. But, if I remember correctly, she was on Ganymede or some other planet when introduced in the book and wasn't a known figure (i.e. wasn't friend's with the Secretary General of the UN).
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Considering the books' authors wrote Wednesday's ep, I guess they're okay with how she was introduced to the TV show.
Hodor.
Jag

Post by Jag »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:04 pm Considering the books' authors wrote Wednesday's ep, I guess they're okay with how she was introduced to the TV show.
Oh yeah. They are on The Churn podcast. They are so involved in the show. It's great.
Montag

Post by Montag »

I got to say I am pleased with the treatment of the subject matter and so far have no beef with the differences to the books. I hope we get this caliber for many seasons to come.
words
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

This season will be the last for The Expanse on SyFy.

We'll have to hope one of the streaming services will pick it up.
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote:This season will be the last for The Expanse on SyFy.

We'll have to hope one of the streaming services will pick it up.
WTF? This has been one of the shows airing on TV with writing and acting that puts the tired mainstream dramas to shame. I hope Netflix gets it.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 am WTF? This has been one of the shows airing on TV with writing and acting that puts the tired mainstream dramas to shame. I hope Netflix gets it.
It's always in the details...
The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the US. That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series which tend to draw the lion share of their audiences from digital/streaming.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

well, that sucks. I really do enjoy the show quite a bit.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 am WTF? This has been one of the shows airing on TV with writing and acting that puts the tired mainstream dramas to shame. I hope Netflix gets it.
It's always in the details...
The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the US. That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series which tend to draw the lion share of their audiences from digital/streaming.
Yeah, as I read the article I thought that deal really did suck for SyFi. I do hope it ends up on Netflix or Amazon (not any of the other streaming networks though since I can subscribe to only so many)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Well... crap. Hadn't seen this news yet. :(
-mf
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

C'mon Netlflix! I actually recently read that they wanted more sci-fi/fantasy properties anyhow.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I know Amazon has the streaming rights to The Expanse. They could probably use a prestige sci-fi show of their own.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So pissed at SyFy right now. This show gets better with each new episode.
Montag

Post by Montag »

I am pretty sure I know how it will end from the books. I don't think the material is as good after the first 3 books. I would enjoy more and hope it continues, but won't be crushed if it doesn't. I want Netflix to focus its efforts on Old Man's War.
words
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Montag wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 pm I am pretty sure I know how it will end from the books. I don't think the material is as good after the first 3 books. I would enjoy more and hope it continues, but won't be crushed if it doesn't. I want Netflix to focus its efforts on Old Man's War.
Is that a thing?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

A bunch of stories in December 2017 stated Netflix is doing a movie. It needs to be a series, but we will see.
words
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Bumped. If you haven't seen it or you already love it, binge! And watch live.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The best damn show on TV and they won't renew it?!? :evil:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Possibly renewed for Season 4 by Amazon!
The retailer and streaming outlet is near a deal to revive space drama The Expanse for a fourth season just 10 days after Syfy canceled the series. Amazon Studios declined comment as sources note the deal is not closed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo hoo...more badass Amos.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yea! All my money belongs to you Jeff Bezos!
(if you come through but who am I kidding since a lot of my money is going to you anyway)
Black lives matter!

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If it is picked up by Amazon, I hereby pledge to remain a Prime subscriber through its run. Which I definitely would not have been otherwise. Definitely not.

Definitely.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is the main reason I do not support SY-FY in in way shape or form. Ive not given them anything...no support no word of mouth no viewing since they canceled Farscape on me. They will have a breathtakingly amazing sci-fi series and simply kill it off while its still amazing and I HATE THEM.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Combustible Lemur

Hell yeah! Even if it's just talks.

Edit, just noticed I'm late. My Tapatalk clock is all jacked up.
Last edited by Combustible Lemur on Tue May 22, 2018 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Combustible Lemur

Daehawk wrote:This is the main reason I do not support SY-FY in in way shape or form. Ive not given them anything...no support no word of mouth no viewing since they canceled Farscape on me. They will have a breathtakingly amazing sci-fi series and simply kill it off while its still amazing and I HATE THEM.
In fairness it was always a somewhat shitty deal and long reach for them.

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:19 pm This is the main reason I do not support SY-FY in in way shape or form. Ive not given them anything...no support no word of mouth no viewing since they canceled Farscape on me. They will have a breathtakingly amazing sci-fi series and simply kill it off while its still amazing and I HATE THEM.
You gotta give 'em some credit; they did at least get the ball rolling for one of the very best quality science fiction TV series in recent memory, and kept it running for three seasons... even with some fairly awful terms from their perspective. Like it or not, they did help make The Expanse TV show a reality. If Amazon can keep it going for the long haul? So much the better.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Their job isn't to make great sci-fi that people love. Their job is to make sci-fi that brings in money. They probably don't always like that fact themselves, but if they want to continue to exist, it's what they have to do.

Great sci-fi that people love, but is expensive to make and doesn't bring in money will go away. Every time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unless Jeff Bezos is a big fan, maybe. I've always wondered when we'd get the first cult show to be rescued by a billionaire fan. I mean, the losses on even a middling-performing show are couch cushion change for someone like Bezos, and if Amazon resurrects the show, it'd be a nice boost in goodwill and sci-fi cred to Amazon, too.