[SyFy]Expanse

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [SyFy]Expanse

Post by hepcat »

That shows like this, Firefly, Farscape, etc. even get made astounds me at times. Sure, I get upset when they're cancelled while still in their prime. But I do appreciate the fact that someone did take a chance on them and took them from idea to fruition.
Covfefe!
Jag

Post by Jag »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:00 am That shows like this, Firefly, Farscape, etc. even get made astounds me at times. Sure, I get upset when they're cancelled while still in their prime. But I do appreciate the fact that someone did take a chance on them and took them from idea to fruition.
I agree, but this one is tougher because, it has fantastic source material and a really compelling story to be told. There is no risk of going BSG or LOST (or even GOT) with this material since it's already done.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jag wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:00 am That shows like this, Firefly, Farscape, etc. even get made astounds me at times. Sure, I get upset when they're cancelled while still in their prime. But I do appreciate the fact that someone did take a chance on them and took them from idea to fruition.
I agree, but this one is tougher because, it has fantastic source material and a really compelling story to be told. There is no risk of going BSG or LOST (or even GOT) with this material since it's already done.
:wub:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, it's not done. So the ending could still suck. But it'll be done by the end of next year, I believe. So well before the show would approach the final books' content.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Never underestimate a studio's ability to completely destroy a proven franchise.

Remember: every show is just one Oliver away from ruin.

Covfefe!
Jag

Post by Jag »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:20 pm
Never underestimate a studio's ability to completely destroy a proven franchise.

Remember: every show is just one Oliver away from ruin.

Maybe, but I listen to James SA Corey (Frank and Abraham) on the Churn podcast every week. These guys aren't letting the show get away from them. They have a ton of influence in the writers room.

Speaking of Oliver, I told my wife that Arrow went Oliver. She was amused that it had become a thing.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So many spoilery things to mention from the last night's episode Delta-V...
Spoiler:
The ring and the first human to, umm, 'enter' it. The introduction of 'Melba'. Miller's return! The Behemoth. Creepy camera guy on the Roci...
8-)
Last edited by MonkeyFinger on Thu May 24, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-mf
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am So many spoilery things to mention from the last night's episode Delta-V...
Spoiler:
The ring and the first human to, umm, 'enter' the Slow Zone. The introduction of 'Melba'. Miller's return! The Behemoth. Creepy camera guy on the Roci...
8-)
The term used in the above spoiler for the ring hasn't been mentioned on the show yet and could be considered a spoiler for non-book readers.
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am So many spoilery things to mention from the last night's episode Delta-V...
Spoiler:
The ring and the first human to, umm, 'enter' the Slow Zone. The introduction of 'Melba'. Miller's return! The Behemoth. Creepy camera guy on the Roci...
8-)
The term used in the above spoiler for the ring hasn't been mentioned on the show yet and could be considered a spoiler for non-book readers.
Yup. As a non book reader, that's not a description I wanted to see. Doesn't run anything for me but please remove it. It's not pay of the show.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

It's a bit late to remove it after it's been quoted twice and I didn't think it would be much a problem to use "the term" after seeing what happened in the show... but fine.
-mf
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If Amazon save it it'd be f***ing amazing.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So we need a spoiler within a spoiler?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont watch tv at all but this is something I know Id love from watching YouTube clips on the battles. Long as the story and show itself isn't soap opera'ish. By that I mean silly romance plots and stuff. Maybe someday I can watch this online.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

There's no silly in the show.
-mf
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

MonkeyFinger wrote:There's no silly in the show.
Weeeeell, Alex's accent and shtick is kinda silly, but endearing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:10 am
MonkeyFinger wrote:There's no silly in the show.
Weeeeell, Alex's accent and shtick is kinda silly, but endearing.
That's just the Mariner Valley drawl.
Hodor.
Jag

Post by Jag »

That scene when the racer hit the ____ ____ was amazing. I'm pretty sure that episode was the beginning of a new book which is why parts of the story were accelerated. Which is fine with me. I want as much of the book plots we can squeeze in.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's Miller time!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Woot woot.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Nice. And some good PR for Amazon after the price increase.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Enlarge Image
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Jag wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:56 pm That scene when the racer hit the ____ ____ was amazing.
When reading the book, I distinctly remember thinking, "I wonder what that would actually look like?"

Oh. It looks like that. :shock:
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I LOVE this show. The wife, however, just frowns and goes back to playing on her iPad. :(
-mf
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Doors and corners, kid, doors and corners.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Oye, Beltalowda.

Listen up.

This is your Captain, and this is your ship.

This is your moment.

You might think that you're scared, but you're not.

That isn't fear.

That's your sharpness.

That's your power.

We are Belters.

Nothing in the void is foreign to us.

The place we go is the place we belong.

This is no different.

No one has more right to this, none more prepared.

Inyalowda go through the Ring, call it their own, but a Belter opened it.

We are the Belt.

We are strong, we are sharp, and we don't feel fear.

This moment belong to us.

For Beltalowda! Beltalowda! Beltalowda!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

WE ARE THE JAMAICAN BOB SLED TEAM!
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I was not ready to hear Drummer speaking in a normal accent...
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

She sounds like a valley girl from the eighties.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I binged through all three seasons over the last couple weeks, and finished Season 3 this afternoon. Damn, what an awesome show this is. I was a little skeptical at first, but when it clicked, it really clicked. Amos is one of my favorite sci-fi characters ever.

Can't wait to see where it goes next.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What I like best is that they try really hard to get the physics of spaceflight and combat right, making for perhaps the most realistic sf show ever. I've seen the cast complain about what a bear the 0-g scenes are to film -- just making one's arms "float" in front of one for any length of time is strenuous, and there's lots of work with harnesses and cables.

The complexity of the factions and their accents and cultural differences made it slow to gel for me. By the end of the first season...wow.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Obligatory nod to the books since this thread was necroed. They're great. So is the show, yes.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:01 pm Oye, Beltalowda.
For the entire show, I thought they were saying "Belter Loader". Which made sense to me, since moste Belters spend good chunks of their lives loading ice/rocks/etc onto cargo ships. Thanks for clarifying for me.

I think the only character that doesn't really work for me is Chrisjen Avasarala, mainly because I don't think Shohreh Aghdashloo does a very good job. Every line she says looks like she's reading it straight from a teleprompter. Which is weird, as I've seen her in other shows where she's a phenomenal actress. Not sure why she is so stilted and awkward here, but she grates my nerves quite a bit.

I really liked Klaes Ashford from Season 3, and hope we get to see more of him.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What does beltalowda mean if not belter loader?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:08 pmI think the only character that doesn't really work for me is Chrisjen Avasarala, mainly because I don't think Shohreh Aghdashloo does a very good job. Every line she says looks like she's reading it straight from a teleprompter. Which is weird, as I've seen her in other shows where she's a phenomenal actress. Not sure why she is so stilted and awkward here, but she grates my nerves quite a bit.
Which is unfortunate because Avasarala is such a bad ass in the books. I don't mind the actress, but she doesn't bring the menace, threat and sarcasm as much as the book character.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jag wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:37 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:08 pmI think the only character that doesn't really work for me is Chrisjen Avasarala, mainly because I don't think Shohreh Aghdashloo does a very good job. Every line she says looks like she's reading it straight from a teleprompter. Which is weird, as I've seen her in other shows where she's a phenomenal actress. Not sure why she is so stilted and awkward here, but she grates my nerves quite a bit.
Which is unfortunate because Avasarala is such a bad ass in the books. I don't mind the actress, but she doesn't bring the menace, threat and sarcasm as much as the book character.
How much of that is the fact that Avasarala swears a whole fucking lot more in the books than she does on TV?
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:14 pm
Jag wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:37 pm
How much of that is the fact that Avasarala swears a whole fucking lot more in the books than she does on TV?
We ain't on basic cable anymore... We'll see what S4 brings.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:54 pm What I like best is that they try really hard to get the physics of spaceflight and combat right, making for perhaps the most realistic sf show ever. I've seen the cast complain about what a bear the 0-g scenes are to film -- just making one's arms "float" in front of one for any length of time is strenuous, and there's lots of work with harnesses and cables.

The complexity of the factions and their accents and cultural differences made it slow to gel for me. By the end of the first season...wow.
Agree!

My only complaint in the realism department is that some of the spaceship interiors are too spacious. The Rocinante, especially, just has a huge amount of high-ceilinged emptiness and unused interior surface. Somehow it doesn't seem to fit the aesthetics and world-making of gritty realism and shoestring resources, and the effect is to make the set look cheap.

The ship doesn't have to be completely cramped like a submarine or Skylab, but something just seems off in all the unused real estate.
Spoiler:
Maybe this is why they call it "The Expanse?"

Thank you! I'll be here all week.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.