Seriously, what is everyone eating to stay healthy?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Seriously, what is everyone eating to stay healthy?

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been targeting somewhere around 50-100g of carbs a day, but I'm not actively counting or measuring anything - just using a general assumption as to what likely includes carbs (like processed foods) in some capacity. According to the internet, I should be consuming somewhere around 225-325g of carbs a day, and I'm guessing before actively monitoring what goes in my face, I was easily double that. So many of my meals were filled with empty (delicious) carbs. I've concluded over the last ~10 days that I am without question addicted to them, but the cravings more or less stopped after about 72 hours when I cut back dramatically. What I've noticed now is that if I cluster my carbs in one meal, I actually experience fullness and a complete lack of hunger hours later. I can only assume my body is so starved for them that when I give it just a little hit, it settles the hell down.

But yeah, sticking to the outer rim of the grocery store - and avoiding the bakery trap (nice try!) has proved to be an interesting challenge. However, I can't argue with the results. Doctor said I still have a long way to go, but I'm at least moving in the right direction for once.

Generally speaking I feel better. I'm not nearly as starving as I'd thought I'd be. When I'm hungry I grab a handful of nuts or a hard boiled egg. I'm also sure that drinking more water (to offset protein metabolism requirements) is also helping.

I am Smoove_B and I'm addicted to carbs.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 pm I am Smoove_B and I'm addicted to carbs.
Apologies for tomorrow.
18-1™ & 2-0
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

It is comical the responses that are being generated based on rough rules of thumb. Yes, the fucking bakery is "processed" and isn't the key to health nirvana. Did that need to be explicitly stated that avoiding the goddamn bakery is a generally sensible idea? Does someone need to point out that a package of polish sausage is fucking processed?

Jesus H. Christ.

What a colossal waste of goddamn time.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Has anyone seen RM9's sense of humor? Anyone?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 pm Has anyone seen RM9's sense of humor? Anyone?
This happens quite often when people are on diets. Withdrawal symptoms. :D
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Holman

Post by Holman »

I guess I never saw this thread before.

What I'm eating to stay healthy: since I started living with my wife in 1996, we've made sure to have leafy greens (usually as a salad or steamed, otherwise as a substantial part of a dinner recipe) at every dinner every day without fail.

At 49, my bowels are probably more regular than before we started dating.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, nah
The Trump administration is limiting scientific input to the 2020 dietary guidelines, raising concerns among nutrition advocates and independent experts about industry influence over healthy eating recommendations for all Americans.

For the first time, the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Agriculture, which oversee the committee giving recommendations for the guidelines, have predetermined the topics that will be addressed. They have narrowed the research that can be used only to studies vetted by agency officials, potentially leaving key studies out of the mix.

The 80 questions the committee has been asked to answer do not cover several pressing issues the panel explored five years ago. This includes the consumption of red and processed meat, as well as the dramatic proliferation of ultra-processed foods, which account for a growing percentage of calories consumed by Americans. Nor will the committee explore appropriate sodium levels for different populations.
Half of American adults already live with one or more diet-related chronic illnesses, and poor diet is the No. 1 cause of ill health in the country, leading to 700,000 deaths annually, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a consumer advocacy group that pushes for safer and healthier foods.
In a statement, the USDA confirmed that topics not listed among its 80 questions will not be addressed.
Under a 2015 law passed by Congress in response to that year’s recommendations, this year’s panel is prohibited from studying the impact of food production on the environment.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just made Bigass Salad for the second time this summer. It feeds the two of us, either as a main dish or a side, for the better part of a week. Bigass Salad is BIG.

(Gonna hit my weight-loss goal on Monday, too. Thanks, Trump!)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I had a big-ass salad for dinner too. It was supposed to be for 2, but my wife decided to have rice and chicken with the kids. The salad included a heaping handful of cherry tomatoes from the garden, and some super-healthy scallops panfried in butter and lemon. And a half-demi of chewbacca bread with olive oil, garlic and Parmesan baked.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Bigass Salad is just a huge bowl of vegetables; you can't screw it up if you like raw veggies. Mine follows this outline. Split everything between your two biggest bowls, and assume everything below says "prepped to your liking."

2 bags of mixed greens
1 bag of red cabbage (unless already in your greens)
1 vidalia onion
1 bunch radishes
8 oz sliced mushrooms
however many banana peppers are ripe
all of your cherry tomatoes (within reason)
1 cucumber
whatever squash are ripe (max. 2)
1 head cauliflower
as many broccoli florets as you like
2 carrots
2 ribs celery
6-8 eggs, hard-boiled and quartered
8 oz cheese (pepperjack), sliced or shredded
(8-16 oz deli meats if you aren't married to Wife)

If you spend an hour putting all that together you'll eat salad for most of a week, and you'll like it. Obviously, omit stuff you hate and add stuff you like. Have 3-4 dressings on hand for variety.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's been getting harder and harder to eat. I've actually had to give up on my 'no meat' approach and reintroduce poultry and fish back into my regular diet. The list of foods I can't eat is growing.

Problem #1: I've had a bunch of teeth pulled, and sheer luck is that they've had to be pulled alternating top and bottom so that the ones that are left don't line up, like so:

W__W__W__W__
__M__M__M__M

In my entire mouth, I have exactly two molars that line up with other molars. That's my entire chewing surface. Anything tough is out, as it isn't exactly fun to chew each bite for four or five minutes.

Problem #2: Since I've had so many teeth pulled, the teeth that are left that are next to each other have enough space to spread out a little, making eating anything stringy (like some meats or, say, celery) really tough, as when I get done it's like I have a hundred strands of floss jammed between every two teeth.

Problem #3: Also because I've had so many teeth pulled, there is a much gum exposed as there is tooth. That makes it tough to eat anything crunchy, from chips to crackers to cookies. Ever try gumming a tortilla chip? Anything I eat that's crunchy rewards me with cut or bruised gums for a few days.

Problem #4: Thanks to the changes in my throat from surgery and radiation, I can't eat anything grainy without it getting stuck in my throat and going into choking fits. That includes a lot of plant foods (I can't do lentils anymore, despite them once being a staple food for me.) Some nuts are a problem, too. Peanuts, for example.

Problem #5: My allergy to beans has reasserted itself. You'd be surprised how many foods that takes off the list.

Problem #6: I don't really enjoy soup (except as a side), and I hate cooking.

Problem #7: I live in BFE, and unless it's redneck food, I'm not going to find it without a long drive and a high price.

Each problem shaves a few more foods from the menu. The menu is starting to get slim. If you have dentures, I envy you.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I appreciate it, and I've looked at them and at the various other similar places (IU School of Dentistry, etc) around the state. There are quite a few. They either don't do the work I need done (like the place you linked), or they do it for a discount which is still outside my range. All that will really work for me is something to replace the missing teeth or yank the rest and replace them all with dentures (to the best of my knowledge, I'm the only person in my biological family to pass 40 with any of their own teeth.) My best shot, honestly, is if Michelle and I ever get married and I'm able to join her insurance. But that's years down the road.

Until then, I just have to eat a little differently. I don't like it, but it isn't like I'm on a liquid diet like I was during my cancer treatment, and it isn't like I'm going hungry. I just have to be picky.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive always found it really stupid that Medicare wont do anything for dental. Its a physical part of a person and can lead to serious disease and death. Yet they wont pay a thing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It had something to do with the idea that dentists and optometrists weren't considered doctors when the programs were created or some such nonsense, and nobody has been willing to create legislation that would crank up Medicare costs. The House tried last year. The Senate didn't even bother to vote. I mean, old people and the poor. Pfft. Elijah Cummings was responsible for it. I have no idea if someone else will try.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:51 pm It had something to do with the idea that dentists and optometrists weren't considered doctors when the programs were created or some such nonsense
i'd always wondered why you'd go to a dentist for teeth (and i guess an optometrist for eyes) and a 'general practice' doctor took care of EVERYTHING else. the division of labor didn't make sense to me as a kid.

it could be that they're just the most visible and well-known of all the various medical specialty providers, but as it stands, my current dentist also looks at not only all the gum and palate issues, but the tongue and upper throat and mandible joints and skull structure/formation and nasal/breathing issues and overall posture as well. i think there's an argument to merge the dental and ENT fields.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:20 am It's been getting harder and harder to eat. I've actually had to give up on my 'no meat' approach and reintroduce poultry and fish back into my regular diet. The list of foods I can't eat is growing.

Problem #1: I've had a bunch of teeth pulled, and sheer luck is that they've had to be pulled alternating top and bottom so that the ones that are left don't line up, like so:

W__W__W__W__
__M__M__M__M

In my entire mouth, I have exactly two molars that line up with other molars. That's my entire chewing surface. Anything tough is out, as it isn't exactly fun to chew each bite for four or five minutes.

Problem #2: Since I've had so many teeth pulled, the teeth that are left that are next to each other have enough space to spread out a little, making eating anything stringy (like some meats or, say, celery) really tough, as when I get done it's like I have a hundred strands of floss jammed between every two teeth.

Problem #3: Also because I've had so many teeth pulled, there is a much gum exposed as there is tooth. That makes it tough to eat anything crunchy, from chips to crackers to cookies. Ever try gumming a tortilla chip? Anything I eat that's crunchy rewards me with cut or bruised gums for a few days.

Problem #4: Thanks to the changes in my throat from surgery and radiation, I can't eat anything grainy without it getting stuck in my throat and going into choking fits. That includes a lot of plant foods (I can't do lentils anymore, despite them once being a staple food for me.) Some nuts are a problem, too. Peanuts, for example.

Problem #5: My allergy to beans has reasserted itself. You'd be surprised how many foods that takes off the list.

Problem #6: I don't really enjoy soup (except as a side), and I hate cooking.

Problem #7: I live in BFE, and unless it's redneck food, I'm not going to find it without a long drive and a high price.

Each problem shaves a few more foods from the menu. The menu is starting to get slim. If you have dentures, I envy you.
In terms of something practical you can do prior to having major dental work done, I think the simplest stopgap solution would be get yourself an entry-level sous vide immersion cooker ASAP. If you're unfamiliar with what that is, it's basically a clever device that allows you to cook foods slowly and precisely to the perfect temperature each and every time. This is crucial for someone in the situation you've described for several reasons. First and foremost, there's no better cooking method on the face of the planet for creating melt-in-your-mouth tender and delicious meals. And if you do not enjoy cooking, it really doesn't matter, because in the morning you simply drop your food in and don't even need to look at it until the afternoon or evening when you're ready to eat, and you have nothing to fear from overcooking. It completely removes any and all of the guesswork from cooking, and you have perfectly consistent results every time. While you might think sous vide cooking looks as if it's boiling the food, that's really not true at all -- the food is being slow-cooked to a pinpoint precise lower temperature which means the food can stay there a LOT longer vs. using a pan or an oven where food is prone to overcooking and drying out because of the necessarily higher temperatures involved. And rest assured, you do not need to boil food to safely pasteurize it; pasteurization just takes longer when cooking at lower temperatures.

Here's a decent beginner’s guide on how to use a sous vide cooker:

I do realise money is always a concern for you, but you needn't spend an arm and leg just to get started. So you could go with The Wirecutter's recommended budget model below from Monoprice:
nytimes.com wrote:Monoprice’s Strata Home Sous Vide Immersion Cooker 800W is louder than other cookers we tested, but it is inexpensive and reliable, making it a great entry-level option for someone just getting started with sous vide cooking. It’s not as advanced as the circulators from Anova or Breville, because it lacks any sort of wireless connection. But in our tests, it got to temperature quickly and held the setting properly. At around $70, its typical street price is less than half that of our other picks.
If memory serves, you're something of a prepper, in which case you likely may already own a vacuum-sealer of some sort. But if not, you can start out by just using gallon-sized freezer Ziploc bags along with the water displacement method to remove air from your bag.

Keep in mind too, using a sous vide cooker could well save you a decent chunk of change in the long run. Because cooking cheaper cuts of meat like pork tenderloin or chicken thighs results in food that's so incredibly tender and delicious you'd think it came from a 5-star restaurant. Also, sous vide is tailor-made for effortlessly cooking frozen vacuum-sealed food.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive seen stuff cooked that way. It looks gross.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hmm, you don't like soup, hate cooking, and are allergic to beans. I got nothing.

Soup is, to me, one of winter's better consolation foods. Most of my recipes are bean or lentil based, though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't dislike soup, and I see how I phrased that badly. I have just never considered soup a primary food. It's a side dish, or something served before the actual meal. If I make soup for dinner, I still need to make dinner.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:20 pm Ive seen stuff cooked that way. It looks gross.
That's because cooking sous vide is typically a two-stage process, especially in terms of cooking meat. So while food is perfectly edible after it comes out of a sous vide immersion cooker, at that point it's going to look highly unappealing. Which is precisely why you then sear it in a hot cast iron skillet (or something similar), which results in food that looks and tastes spectacular.

You can see this illustrated in the video below:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start figuring out vegetable smoothies. This new medicine is acting as an appetite suppressant, and with all of the working out I'm going it's everything I can do to choke down enough protein (and that's with supplementation.) I'm not getting enough fruit & vegetables by a long shot. If I add a bowl of broccoli to dinner, I won't be able to finish it. If I start with a salad (like I used to), I won't be able to choke down the protein. Of course I could eat more often as a solution, but I don't really enjoy eating.

My thought is to jam a crap-ton of vegetables into one or two smoothies. Of course, every vegetable smoothie I've ever tried has tasted like ass, but I'm doing some research to find some options that might not be too awful. I do need to be careful about having too much vitamin-c early in the day, though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spices. The wife slipped diced carrots in the chili.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This new medicine is acting as an appetite suppressant
I need stuff that does that.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:27 pm I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start figuring out vegetable smoothies. This new medicine is acting as an appetite suppressant, and with all of the working out I'm going it's everything I can do to choke down enough protein (and that's with supplementation.) I'm not getting enough fruit & vegetables by a long shot. If I add a bowl of broccoli to dinner, I won't be able to finish it. If I start with a salad (like I used to), I won't be able to choke down the protein. Of course I could eat more often as a solution, but I don't really enjoy eating.

My thought is to jam a crap-ton of vegetables into one or two smoothies. Of course, every vegetable smoothie I've ever tried has tasted like ass, but I'm doing some research to find some options that might not be too awful. I do need to be careful about having too much vitamin-c early in the day, though.
Tread carefully with regularly consuming vegetable smoothies, especially if you're aiming to lose weight by working out, for the reasons elucidated by an MD below:

Are Smoothies Good or Bad?
nutritionstudies.org wrote:In medical school, when time was shorter than short and I lived alone, I would periodically get concerned that I wasn’t eating enough leafy greens, because I wasn’t. Once or twice (Or maybe more, but I won’t admit to it) I put about 6 cups of raw, cleaned kale tightly packed in a mixer along with a little water and nothing else and made the ultimate green smoothie. I chugged it and didn’t enjoy any part of it. It was like a grassy tasting slime, or perhaps cow cud. It was what I imagined to be like a Campbell version of 1950s cod liver oil, and like a little kid, I approached it with a reluctant, yucky face. But these were times of desperation, and desperate acts were required. At least I felt more green.

It turns out that people less strange than I have also been using green smoothies. In fact, green smoothies are everywhere and drinking them is a major trend in health. I’ve been surprised at how many people I have met recently that have been trying to get healthy by replacing meals with green smoothies. They generally put veggies and fruit in a blender, zap it, and gulp it down. I am positive these drinks are far, far more enjoyable than the problematic recipe I had created. And intuitively, it seems like this might be a great way to get healthy. You get all the stuff in the fruit or vegetable and you get it conveniently, quickly, and enjoyably.

So should you be gulping down a smoothie every morning? I say no.

There is research to show that if you take exactly the same energy as a liquid instead of a solid, you will consume more calories later because the liquefied energy doesn’t satisfy your appetite as well as the solid food[1]. In addition, you may be changing the rate and effect of nutrient digestion in important ways. We know that for some food, like rice, if you mechanically turn it into a slurry prior to consuming it, your body reacts with a significantly sharper and faster spike in blood sugar[2]. Lastly, people who consume green smoothies usually use fruit to make it taste palatable. The energy density of the fruit dwarfs the energy density of the greens and these smoothies usually end up being quite high in sugar.

Here is what a ‘healthy’ green smoothie might contain:
  • 1 cup spinach, fresh
  • ¼ cup water
  • ¼ cup orange juice
  • ¾ cups strawberries
  • ½ cup blueberries
  • 1 banana
This concoction contains 218 calories[3]. Even though it may feel like a ‘green’ smoothie with all those leaves in the blender, only about 6% of the calories come from the spinach. The rest is all fruit, with a total of 32 grams of sugar. 59% of the total calories in this smoothie come from sugar.

Now consider that by consuming this in the liquid form you may be less satisfied, less full, and subsequently eat more calories during the day than you otherwise would have if you ate those ingredients as solid foods. Also consider that by taking those foods as liquids instead of solids you may be significantly changing the immediate blood sugar spike and subsequent blood sugar fall you experience (in a bad way).

Considering these factors, I am particularly worried about the hidden harms of regular smoothie consumption on people who are trying to lose weight, have diabetes, or have high triglycerides.

Do I hate all smoothies all the time? Of course not. I know green smoothie consumers who put all the vegetables or fruits they eat for their entire day into the smoothie. Without the smoothie, they likely won’t consume any fruits or vegetables. Replacing the smoothie with a fast food egg and bacon sandwich is a dubious proposition, so I don’t always push hard to get rid of the smoothies.

But the bottom line is this: Use your mouth and your teeth the way nature intended and put the smoothies aside or have them just as treats. Compared to my medical school days, my life is now better in many ways, and I no longer imbibe the gross, green smoothie of old. I strive to eat and chew generous portions of dark green leaves every day, and thus hope the desperate times do not return. I recommend you do the same.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks, and I get his points, but I don't necessarily agree.

First, I looked up about a dozen recipes, and that's more extreme on the fruit than any of the ones I saw, and it's really low on vegetables, which makes me think he picked an example that supported his point rather than a representative example. Here is what I made tonight, and is more in keeping with what I was seeing:

1 frozen banana
2 cups spinach
1/4 avocado
1 cup almond milk (half sweetened)

In this, the calories were 105 from the banana, 80 from the vegetables, and 45 from the almond milk. That's a grand total of 14g of natural sugars from the banana and 3.5g from the milk, or 68 calories from all sugars combined. 68 out of 230, and most of that 68 was natural sugars, which aren't the same thing as added sugars, and are perfectly fine - even good - in reasonable amounts, and are not even considered to count against daily sugar limits as long as it's within recommended range (2-3 pieces of fruit per day.) It could be a concern for people with blood sugar issues (I'm not) or people who consume a lot of other sugars (I don't.) It is a factor to take into account, and this presents it as universally bad. It's about balance and common sense.

Second point - liquids leaving you hungrier than solids so that you eat more. Yes, liquids are digested faster. They're pre-chewed by the blender, so we consume them faster and absorb them faster, and absorbing sugar quickly doesn't leave you full. But again, we're talking about the equivalent added sugar of 1/10th of a can of Coke, and even if you count the natural sugars it's still less than half a can. And again, that isn't the whole story. If you're using a meaningful amount of vegetables (again, his example is terrible and probably cherry-picked), you're also sucking down a ton of fiber, which tends to make people feel fuller and slows digestion, offsetting that tenth of a can of Coke. And as for me personally? It's irrelevant - remember, the problem I'm solving is caused lack of appetite due to a medicine that acts as a suppressant. I'm not worried about being slightly hungrier.

One of his points is extremely forced, the other doesn't apply to me. And the problem I'm solving is one of nutrients, not energy sources. In point of fact, I'm having to struggle to get enough calories and enough carbs every day to not make myself sick. The extra from the fruit is welcome.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I read up on the author of that study, who also happens to run that site. Apparently he's known for cherry-picking data to push his views (a hardcore whole-food, vegan lifestyle), not citing sources (or citing very few), making questionable claims, etc.

So, uh, no.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:34 pm I read up on the author of that study, who also happens to run that site. Apparently he's known for cherry-picking data to push his views (a hardcore whole-food, vegan lifestyle), not citing sources (or citing very few), making questionable claims, etc.

So, uh, no.
Well, you needn't necessarily buy into the products he sells or the vegan lifestyle he apparently advocates to acknowledge the reality that regularly consuming liquid sugar calories in the form of fruit & vegetable smoothies could potentially be somewhat detrimental for the particular types of people he mentioned (also, sources were provided with the post I quoted, but I didn't include 'em in the quote). But even he himself acknowledged that he doesn't necessarily always push hard to get rid of smoothies for consumers who put all the vegetables or fruits they eat for their entire day into the smoothie. And from the sounds of it, you're likely not in one of the groups that would face much risk in doing so anyway, so no need to fret.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I read the article on his site (specifically to see what his credentials and sources were), and then went and read five or six other articles on other medical (not pop health) sites on the same topic. Every one of the other articles mentioned what it was he was concerned with (that making absurdly sugary smoothies is possible if you don't use common sense), but also went on to list all of the benefits of them and focused on the nutritional value. His was more... alarmist, and skimmed right past the benefits to say that people should avoid them and treat them as desserts rather than as a source of vegetables, which is a questionable position to take for a nutritionist. That article could single-handedly cause someone to avoid something that could be of significant benefit to them because he wants them to chew instead. You teach people to be smart, not turn them away from something healthy because of your philosophy.

Apparently this guy also tried to turn people away from all dairy products by playing up claims that they all cause cancer (again, studies out of context), has published popular nutrition best-sellers that have been debunked, etc.

Bullshit science is bullshit. And bullshit science that does harm or causes people to distrust good science bothers me. Enough so that I can't let them go quoted without commenting - so, nothing personal, but I felt it needed a response in case someone else came along and read it and avoided something beneficial as a result.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And for the record, I'm very supportive of a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. I'd probably be close to that myself if I had more resources and lived in an area with a better selection of vegetarian/vegan foods. I'm not judging him for his philosophy, just his science.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

So if you are doing smoothies anyway, what about adding some protein powder to them? I know it's not exactly cheap, but it's not like you are eating it by the pound trying to bulk up. A medium-size container would last a while.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:10 pm So if you are doing smoothies anyway, what about adding some protein powder to them? I know it's not exactly cheap, but it's not like you are eating it by the pound trying to bulk up. A medium-size container would last a while.
Or bacon. Everything's better with bacon. (Cook it first.) :wink:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:10 pm So if you are doing smoothies anyway, what about adding some protein powder to them? I know it's not exactly cheap, but it's not like you are eating it by the pound trying to bulk up. A medium-size container would last a while.
I already use protein powder every day, usually two shakes. There's no way I'd get anywhere near my protein needs (I try for 150g before taking exercise into account, usually closer to 200g.) if it was all from meat/vegetables which carries lots of extra calories along with it. Of course, I make sure that I use it as a supplement, not as the only source. I make sure I get protein in its natural forms for the trace nutrients, too, usually a majority.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Are you calculating your protein from all the food you eat. Nuts, grains, beans, etc?

Protein deficiency is pretty uncommon if you aren't malnourished.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:05 am Are you calculating your protein from all the food you eat. Nuts, grains, beans, etc?

Protein deficiency is pretty uncommon if you aren't malnourished.
Yep. But with working out plus a fairly low calorie intake (1700/day, adjusted for exercise - so if I burn an extra 400 from extra activity, I eat an extra 400), I need significantly more than the Recommended Daily Allowance if I don't want to be burning muscle for energy. Roughly twice the RDA based on my weight (the RDA is how much you need to not get sick while sedentary, and the amounts on the labels are based on average weight).) I've calculated this using a bunch of different reliable recommendations to be sure, and took a number that was within all of their ranges (and there is a lot of disagreement.) I did a good bit of research on this.

For reference, here are the biggest name recommendations based on my age, height, weight, and activity level:
American Dietetic Association (ADA): at least 134 - 241 grams/day.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): 86 - 300 grams/day (10-35% of daily caloric intake).

World Health Organization safe lower limit: 111 grams/day.
And that's for maintaining, not increasing muscle while losing weight, which boosts it more. I'm trying for 200 grams/day.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I hate mayonnaise with a fiery passion, so I've never gotten on the chicken salad train.

My wife, however, found a fantastic recipe on how to make chicken salad with hummus instead of mayonnaise and OMG has this been a life changer. She made a big batch for the week and I've made chicken salad lettuce wraps, sandwiches, or just used it as a dip.

I've been on a healthy eating kick for about a week now (no fast food, drastically reduced sugar, no sodas), and I've already been able to tell a huge difference in my energy levels.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:50 am I hate mayonnaise with a fiery passion, so I've never gotten on the chicken salad train.

My wife, however, found a fantastic recipe on how to make chicken salad with hummus instead of mayonnaise and OMG has this been a life changer. She made a big batch for the week and I've made chicken salad lettuce wraps, sandwiches, or just used it as a dip.

I've been on a healthy eating kick for about a week now (no fast food, drastically reduced sugar, no sodas), and I've already been able to tell a huge difference in my energy levels.
And this recipe is...?

Don't leave me hangin' here!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ok she just called and told me. It's ridiculously simple.

- Shredded chicken (either cook yourself or grab a rotisserie from store)
- Hummus
- Diced green onions
- Salt and pepper
- Diced celery

She didn't give me exact measurements because she said she just kind of threw it together until the consistency looked right. So if you like it chunky do more chicken than hummus, if you like it smooth do more hummus than chicken.

The green onions and/or celery can be substituted with other things if you want; I've heard of people doing jalapeno if you want a kick, or red bell pepper. You can also add a squirt of lemon juice for some added zest.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am intrigued, especially with the recent discussions of protein. Hummus + chicken would have a ton.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Veggie experiment, ongoing.

Yesterday's smoothie:

2 cups baby spinach
1 frozen banana
1/4 avocado
1 cup half-mix almond milk*

Tasted like a banana shake. Zero green flavor.

Today:

1 cup baby spinach
1 cup kale
1/4 avocado
1 cup half-mix almond milk
1 cup grapes

Good. The kale made it very grainy, and the avocado made it creamier, but the two together made it creamy-grainy, which was a little hard to drink. The flavor was good, though. Not much green flavor. Next time I'll leave out the avocado and see how it does.

*I prefer almond milk to chilled cow lactation. I just think it tastes better and is comparable to cow's milk health-wise (they each have their strengths - almond has fewer calories, more calcium, cow's milk has more protein, etc.) But I think the sweetened stuff is way too sweet, while the unsweetened is too bitter. So I buy them in pairs - a half gallon of regular, a half gallon of unsweetened - and mix them together into a half-sweetened variety. It still comes out to 45 calories per cup compared to 80-90 with skim.

Tomorrow I'll be trying carrots. I don't want to do spinach every day (oxalate, ouch), so I want to start working some other stuff in. I'm hesitant on this one. I like carrots, but I don't like a lot of stuff that uses carrots for flavor.