Add His and Hers to list of words "bad" words

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rip

Add His and Hers to list of words "bad" words

Post by Rip »

Educators in the Volunteer State are very concerned that students might be offended by the usage of traditional pronouns like she, he, him and hers, according to a document from the University of Tennessee – Knoxville’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/08/ ... tcmp=hpbt4
“There are dozens of gender-neutral pronouns,” she declared.

For all you folks who went to school back when there were only him and her – here’s a primer: some of the new gender neutral pronouns are ze, hir, zir, xe, xem and xyr.

“These may sound a little funny at first, but only because they are new,” Braquet explained. “The ‘she’ and ‘he’ pronouns would sound strange too if we had been taught ‘ze’ when growing up.”

Somehow I sincerely doubt that, but whatever. Anything goes for the sake of inclusivity, right?

:roll:
The Meal

Re: Add His and Hers to list of words "bad" words

Post by The Meal »

Ripplerousing
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Rip

Post by Rip »

The Meal wrote:Ripplerousing
“’Oh, nice to meet you (The Meal). What pronouns should I use?’
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Why on earth would you ask me? I'm in no position to tell other people what they should do.
Spoiler:
Why on earth would xou ask xe? X'm in no position to tell other xeople what xey should smurf.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You missed the memo.

And there's always yo.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote:You missed the memo.

And there's always yo.
You....YOU!!!!!

Rip prefers to identify as I, so in the future when insulting Rip please use I in every place you would have been used.

kthx.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote:

And there's always yo.
You....YOU!!!!!

Rip prefers to identify as I, so in the future when insulting Rip please use I in every place you would have been used.

kthx.
Yo is not a shortened version of You. It's a gender neutral pronoun.

"I hate Donnie because yo called me this week and yo said that I was lame."

Or even better: "Yo needs to tell yo that yo doesn't like yo anymore."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
DD*

Post by DD* »

Real life is becoming more Onion than the Onion.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Rip wrote:

And there's always yo.
You....YOU!!!!!

kthx.
Yo is not a shortened version of You. It's a gender neutral pronoun.

"I hate Donnie because yo called me this week and yo said that I was lame."

Or even better: "Yo needs to tell yo that yo doesn't like yo anymore."
I was referring to the use of You when suggesting that Rip had missed the memo. Rip is not a you, Rip is an I.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I blame Caitlin Jenner
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Apparently, there aren't many pronouns in Taglog, and that seems to be something my wife (and other Filipinos I know) constantly trip over. My wife uses he and she, his and her interchangeably -- which leads to amusing confusion at times.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It rubs the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Honestly, other than the fact that it pokes some people's grammar buttons, there is nothing wrong with using they/them in any situation where you're speaking generically. Easy, inclusive, nobody needs to bitch that you're just making words up.

The whole idea of custom pronouns is extremely Anglocentric. It also doesn't work well in languages where inanimate objects are gendered, for example.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jeff V wrote:Apparently, there aren't many pronouns in Taglog, and that seems to be something my wife (and other Filipinos I know) constantly trip over. My wife uses he and she, his and her interchangeably -- which leads to amusing confusion at times.
As silverjon mentions, all nouns in French are gendered and how you refer to them differs depending on that gender. The French must be looking at this and rolling their eyes in an epic fashion.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

silverjon wrote:Honestly, other than the fact that it pokes some people's grammar buttons, there is nothing wrong with using they/them in any situation where you're speaking generically. Easy, inclusive, nobody needs to bitch that you're just making words up.
I just changed some "their" to "his or her" in a document I'm marking up. :oops:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Rip

Post by Rip »

How about "those people".

:ninja:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote:
silverjon wrote:Honestly, other than the fact that it pokes some people's grammar buttons, there is nothing wrong with using they/them in any situation where you're speaking generically. Easy, inclusive, nobody needs to bitch that you're just making words up.
I just changed some "their" to "his or her" in a document I'm marking up. :oops:
I still prefer using "it's" when referring to children.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Met someone a few years ago with [Gender Specific] name. They asked if I could please call them [Gender Neutral] name instead. I took note and went about my day. We interacted weekly for 3+ months and that was that. Months later I found out this person was in the process of gender transition because they contacted me and thanked me profusely for honoring their request to use a different name.

It wasn't a big deal to me but apparently it was a big deal for them. I don't see what the issue is here. If you tell me to refer to you a certain way and I refuse and use something else you specifically said I should not, I'm being a giant wanker. This isn't about judgement or morality or acceptance. It's about being a human being.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rip

Post by Rip »

Jeff V wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:
Hopefully you mean "its". Because I am not sure what an "it is" is.?!?!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rip wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:
Hopefully you mean "its". Because I am not sure what an "it is" is.?!?!
Yes, it's supposed to be its when I refer to it.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Did anybody actually read the document the 'news' story linked to? It has absolutely nothing to do with what the news story was about. They took a paragraph out of the middle and reported it as something completely different.

All the original document said was to use the pronoun that a person prefers, preferably by asking them.

It then mentioned that neutral pronouns exist (the text quoted in the story and original post), presumably so nobody would be surprised when someone used one. That's it. They exist.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Perhaps we need people to wear pronoun tags, just like name tags.........

Hello,

My pronoun is _______________
MHS

Post by MHS »

Smoove_B wrote:Met someone a few years ago with [Gender Specific] name. They asked if I could please call them [Gender Neutral] name instead. I took note and went about my day. We interacted weekly for 3+ months and that was that. Months later I found out this person was in the process of gender transition because they contacted me and thanked me profusely for honoring their request to use a different name.

It wasn't a big deal to me but apparently it was a big deal for them. I don't see what the issue is here. If you tell me to refer to you a certain way and I refuse and use something else you specifically said I should not, I'm being a giant wanker. This isn't about judgement or morality or acceptance. It's about being a human being.
This, plus a million. Why is it so hard for people? I genuinely don't get it.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

There's been talk of similar additions to the Norwegian language recently, though they come off as a little more sensible than the suggestions in the article above.

The Norwegian word for "he" is "han", while the word for "she" is "henne". The gender neutral variant would be "hen", which makes a lot of sense. I don't think it's an official part of the language yet, but I don't think there would be much resistance to the concept either.
Smoove_B wrote:Met someone a few years ago with [Gender Specific] name. They asked if I could please call them [Gender Neutral] name instead. I took note and went about my day. We interacted weekly for 3+ months and that was that. Months later I found out this person was in the process of gender transition because they contacted me and thanked me profusely for honoring their request to use a different name.

The debate about this kind of thing tends to get muddled with minutia, but you nailed the only part that's truly important here: Don't be a dick. Other people deserve to be treated like human beings.
Insert witty comment here.
Rip

Post by Rip »

TiLT wrote:There's been talk of similar additions to the Norwegian language recently, though they come off as a little more sensible than the suggestions in the article above.

The Norwegian word for "he" is "han", while the word for "she" is "henne". The gender neutral variant would be "hen", which makes a lot of sense. I don't think it's an official part of the language yet, but I don't think there would be much resistance to the concept either.

The debate about this kind of thing tends to get muddled with minutia, but you nailed the only part that's truly important here: Don't be a dick. Other people deserve to be treated like human beings.
Awesome. Then when I say something about cackling hens no one can say I am being sexist......
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Rip wrote:
TiLT wrote:There's been talk of similar additions to the Norwegian language recently, though they come off as a little more sensible than the suggestions in the article above.

Awesome. Then when I say something about cackling hens no one can say I am being sexist......
"Cackling hens" actually translates directly to Norwegian as "kaklende høner" and means the exact same thing in all meanings of the phrase. The word "hen" isn't used in a way that could cause confusion in Norwegian, but yeah, I was prepared for a reply like yours. :P

The English "hen" means "høne" in Norwegian, and is often part of slang when used in dialect to refer to women in a very sexual (and ironically derogatory, typically used as a joke because of the word's inherent silliness) way.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm pretty sure henne is going to be two syllables.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm pretty sure henne is going to be two syllables.
Yup.
geezer

Post by geezer »

GreenGoo wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Apparently, there aren't many pronouns in Taglog, and that seems to be something my wife (and other Filipinos I know) constantly trip over. My wife uses he and she, his and her interchangeably -- which leads to amusing confusion at times.
As silverjon mentions, all nouns in French are gendered and how you refer to them differs depending on that gender. The French must be looking at this and rolling their eyes in an epic fashion.
A with Spanish and, I presume, Italian.

Interestingly, as I understand it, "vagina" is a male-gendered noun in French, while "mustache" is female-gendered.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Viva El Vagina and La Mustachia!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't believe in uprooting language for the sake of possibly offending a minute fraction of the population. I'm so tired of the "you offend me, she offends me, I can't say that or I might offend someone" culture of today. People need to grow up and stop acting like a bunch of kids on a schoolground running to tell teacher every time their feelings get hurt.
DD*

Post by DD* »

I think it's all a conspiracy to make the PETA dipshits look downright reasonable...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
geezer

Post by geezer »

YellowKing wrote:I don't believe in uprooting language for the sake of possibly offending a minute fraction of the population. I'm so tired of the "you offend me, she offends me, I can't say that or I might offend someone" culture of today. People need to grow up and stop acting like a bunch of kids on a schoolground running to tell teacher every time their feelings get hurt.
The Atlantic gets it right, as they so often seem to recently.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

geezer wrote:
YellowKing wrote:I don't believe in uprooting language for the sake of possibly offending a minute fraction of the population. I'm so tired of the "you offend me, she offends me, I can't say that or I might offend someone" culture of today. People need to grow up and stop acting like a bunch of kids on a schoolground running to tell teacher every time their feelings get hurt.
Excellent article, I'm so tired of this crap. The real life examples are horrifying. We're raising a nation of pansies. Oops, I may have micro-aggressed with that comment!
Last edited by Grifman on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Rip

Post by Rip »

geezer wrote:
Wow, bang on.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

People realize there's a difference between what The Atlantic article is about and having someone tell you, "Please call me Caitlyn" and you reply, "Yeah, whatever Bruce" ,right?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I feel the need to point out that doing things like marking threads NSFSmoove is posting a trigger warning.

Different in social media than post-secondary curriculum, sure, but it's something we do as a courtesy for people we are intentionally trying to not hurt or upset, because we give a damn.

I didn't read the entire article, because I do agree that going to school is a place for learning critical thinking, including about things we find upsetting. But I don't dismiss the idea of trigger warnings out of hand, because I think they're very much applicable to things like goofing around on the internet, where you should be able to choose your moments for confronting your horrors, rather than having them thrust on you.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote:People realize there's a difference between what The Atlantic article is about and having someone tell you, "Please call me Caitlyn" and you reply, "Yeah, whatever Bruce" ,right?
Please realize that we realize this :)

And the original post wasn't about personal gender preference either :)
Last edited by Grifman on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

silverjon wrote: But I don't dismiss the idea of trigger warnings out of hand, because I think they're very much applicable to things like goofing around on the internet, where you should be able to choose your moments for confronting your horrors, rather than having them thrust on you.
If you are worried about what you might see on the internet, then maybe you just need to be more selective about what sites you personally "goof around on". I think people in general should talk sensitively about any number of issues, but I shouldn't have to worry about getting someone upset by just mentioning a term that might upset them. There were examples in The Atlantic article about terms that were mentioned neutrally or even in ways that stated or implied non-acceptance or that the term or action was bad, that got people upset. If people can't talk about rape, or the KKK because someone gets upset, how can we fight such things. That's ridiculous.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Look, on a site like this one, if someone posts, "hey check out this cool video (Smoove, it has tentacles)"... that *is* a trigger warning, whether or not you're in favour of calling it such.

That's an example on a very personal level.

I don't know how much I need to explain about how certain social media sites or fandom work. If media is tagged with #myfavoritetvshow, and sometimes #myfavoritetvshow contains themes of rape, considerate tagging allows a viewer to choose whether or not they feel like dealing with that at a given moment. You also probably shouldn't be presented with gif sets of the rape scene if what you pulled up was #erotic.

I suppose another parallel is the idea of driveby NSFWing of a thread. OO is generally SFW reading. When somebody crosses that, it goes against expectations for what you're going to see *on OO*. As long as the tags are present, people get to make their own choices about whether or not it's a good time to view specific content, or go back to it later, or not at all.
wot?