Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

mori

Re: McDonald's

Post by mori »

gilraen wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
Mrs Nym wrote:Thanks for making me hungry, jerks. :angry-jumpinganger:
How does this thread make you hungry? It makes me ill.
And yet you're still reading it :coffee:
+1
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

This is topical. I'm reading Fast Food Nation at the moment. I really enjoy McDonald's hamburgers and fries. I rarely eat them though and while they taste delicious going down I feel bad afterwards. (A combination of guilt and some kind of reaction going on in my stomach.)
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Canuck wrote:.... I really enjoy McDonald's hamburgers and fries. ..
Oddly, my favorite foods at McD's are the regular hamburger (no cheese) and fries.

The fancier they try to get with their sandwiches, the more weirded out I get.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish places would drop trying to shove angus down our throats. I dont see it being all that great. I prefer normal old longhorn .
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm a big fan of Colonel Angus.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Obligatory link.

After all, one can only take so much Colonel Angus.
But as far as food goes, it's better than Anal Angus. Or Longhorn, for that matter. Noone likes to have Longhorn shoved down their throat.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Giles Habibula wrote:
Canuck wrote:.... I really enjoy McDonald's hamburgers and fries. ..
Oddly, my favorite foods at McD's are the regular hamburger (no cheese) and fries.

The fancier they try to get with their sandwiches, the more weirded out I get.
You would like Al's French Frys. I don't think they've changed anything since 1948 except for prices keeping up with inflation. A regular hamburger is a little over a buck, and it's just what you'd expect for that. Must've gone for 10 or 15 cents back in the day. Al's is all about fries sold by the cup, pint, or quart, same as always.

This weekend I went back to Al's after 20 years, and it was exactly as I remembered it. If I go back again 20 years from now, it will be the same. It's the anti-McDonalds.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:If they deploy all-day breakfast nationwide, I will probably make more of an effort to go there.
October 6th
If you’re one of those people who hates missing the end of breakfast hours at McDonald’s, hang on just a little longer: the chain says its breakfast menu will be available all day starting Oct. 6.

Items like Egg McMuffins, hotcakes, sausage burritos, fruit ‘n yogurt parfaits, hash browns and biscuits will be available anytime, although the exact menu will vary in different markets. The company said core items like the Big Mac, McNuggets and fries will still be available at all of its locations.
I actually went for breakfast a couple weeks ago, and their biscuit sandwiches were not as good as I remember.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:I actually went for breakfast a couple weeks ago, and their biscuit sandwiches were not as good as I remember.
I love their $1 sausage biscuit. Having them and hashbrowns all day would probably get them more of my business which is not good for me.

I don't see the population at large wanting McD's breakfast 24 hours a day though. Me? I love breakfast all day and all night. Breakfast if the best food next to pizza IMO.

I also recently discovered that pan frying Meijer hashbrown patties in bacon grease makes a better hashbrown than you get at McDonald's... I also recently discovered that my cholesterol is too high.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now if Whataburger would follow suit... :wub:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Now if Whataburger would follow suit... :wub:
Whatsawhataburger?

Web site says 11 Hours and 1 minute to get to the closest one.

Yeahno.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I've never had a Whataburger breakfast. What should I order?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

wonderpug wrote:
I've never had a Whataburger breakfast. What should I order?
A burger and fries.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Buiscuit sandwiches or the taquitos.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote:
Whatsawhataburger?

Web site says 11 Hours and 1 minute to get to the closest one.

Yeahno.
Come down to the BoardGameGeek convention and we'll take you to one.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Come down to the BoardGameGeek convention and we'll take you to one.
I appear to be on a tether for work. It's like prison. I'm currently in a verbal fight with regard to even a October weekend in Chicago for Octocon.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nonrefundable airfare is good ace in the hole.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McDonalds needs to go back to its roots and bring back the original Ronald McDonald.

He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote:McDonalds needs to go back to its roots and bring back the original Ronald McDonald.

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
MHS

Post by MHS »

LordMortis wrote:
Whatsawhataburger?
A thing you only eat because you're super hung over and they're the only place that will serve you a burger and Coke at 7 am to soak up the alcohol and coat your insides with grease so you can go to work and sort of function.

Or so I've heard.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think you might be confusing it with Waffle House.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

With Burger King serving Whoppers 24-7 and Taco Bell opening for breakfast, hangover draino is nowadays never too far away. The 24-hour breakfast places are just pleasant changes of pace.
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
MHS

Post by MHS »

Isgrimnur wrote:I think you might be confusing it with Waffle House.
Waffle House doesn't have a drive-through. When I was an apartment manager, my maintenance men could take one look at my face on a Thursday morning (Wednesday was a big party night in Pensacola) and know to head to the drive-through at Whattaburger for me. Ah, good times.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reuters
McDonald's Corp (MCD.N) reported better-than-expected quarterly same-restaurant sales as the launch of all-day breakfasts proved to be a hit with diners in the United States and demand continued to recover in China.

The world's biggest restaurant chain's shares rose 3 percent to a record-high of $121.90 on Monday.
All-day breakfast was just one of the measures Easterbrook implemented in a turnaround plan last year that involved making the menu simpler, improving service times and raising worker wages.
Easterbrook, however, was cautious. "It will take at least six more months of positive comparable sales and guest count growth to progress through the sustained and prolonged growth phases of our turnaround."
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't know if McDs in the U.S are run any differently than in Canada, but the locations I've been to in Canada as of late have all had terrible service, from rude workers to a crappy overcomplicated ordering system they've implemented that leads to confusion and long waits. Of all the times I've been there in the last several years while on trips, it's always led to frustration.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The only problem i have with our McD's is the prices. Some are good most are too high. I mean a Filet o Fish is $4.00...it should still be a little over a buck.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote:The only problem i have with our McD's is the prices. Some are good most are too high. I mean a Filet o Fish is $4.00...it should still be a little over a buck.
Yes, because you can totally pull a fish out of the ocean and get it to your table for less than the cost of a gallon of gasoline.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Odin

Post by Odin »

I like McDonald's in moderation. I probably eat there once every month or two. The service is always pretty good to excellent, the taste of the food is good (for what it is - I'm not expecting gourmet burger flavor but I'm also not paying $9-10 for the burger, either), and the prices are extremely competitive. Their pancakes and sausage are particularly good, though I also like their biscuit sandwiches, their nuggets, and especially their fries. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I may stop at McDonald's for fries and nuggets, and then stop at the nearby Burger King for a burger, but that's really too much food for me these days so I almost never do that anymore.
Rip

Post by Rip »

stessier wrote:
Daehawk wrote:The only problem i have with our McD's is the prices. Some are good most are too high. I mean a Filet o Fish is $4.00...it should still be a little over a buck.
Yes, because you can totally pull a fish out of the ocean and get it to your table for less than the cost of a gallon of gasoline.
Why not? Pulling a fish out of the ocean and making a sandwich is a substantially easier than finding and extracting enough oil from under the ocean to make a gallon of gas. Forget what it takes to refine it into gas after you get it to the beach.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Rip wrote:
stessier wrote:
Why not? Pulling a fish out of the ocean and making a sandwich is a substantially easier than finding and extracting enough oil from under the ocean to make a gallon of gas. Forget what it takes to refine it into gas after you get it to the beach.

Yes, because the fish just jump into the boats... ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fishing aside I view it as one online reviewer put it. The fish was on the $1 menu then one day suddenly jumped to $4. Nothing was added at all it simply moved. Other sandwiches when they move off the $1 menu they have things added like cheese or lettuce and tomato and such. the fish is still a plain no frills bun that sticks to your teeth, tartar sauce, and a slice of cheese.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I used to like the double quarter-pounder mccheese. Maybe I'll have another one someday. It's been years. Last time I went their menu was so huge and confusing that you could barely parse it at the drive-thru, and the food was mediocre, so I just never went back. I can take a patty out of the freezer and grill up a better burger in the amount of time it takes to drive to McD's and back. I do go for fast food once or twice over the winter when my grill is hibernating. I just prefer to pay a few more bucks for 5 Guys since it's something I only do a couple times a year.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not a big McDonald's fan. I used to love the McNuggets before they changed them, though. That and before they became sauce Nazis. "You only have 20 pieces! Only two sauces! Make it last, fatty!"
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That sauce thing is annoying as hell. And they just have not been the same since they switched cooking oil PLUS changed the fries. Damn vegetarians ..why were they eating at McDs anyways!? :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote:Fishing aside I view it as one online reviewer put it. The fish was on the $1 menu then one day suddenly jumped to $4. Nothing was added at all it simply moved.

Sometimes prices do go up in certain industries which all have to do with a number of different factors. In this case, it could be overfishing driving the price up. Can be any number of things.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Odin

Post by Odin »

Rumpy wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Fishing aside I view it as one online reviewer put it. The fish was on the $1 menu then one day suddenly jumped to $4. Nothing was added at all it simply moved.
Sometimes prices do go up in certain industries which all have to do with a number of different factors. In this case, it could be overfishing driving the price up. Can be any number of things.
And the price of an item doesn't always reflect it's true value. For example, they may put something on the dollar menu because their analytics predict that people who buy item X for $1 are likely to buy high-margin items (like soda) at full price. So in this case, they may have lost money on the fish when they sold it for a buck, but they expected to make bank on the soda. And maybe that happened, or maybe it didn't, or maybe it happened for a while and then stopped happening, or maybe they just review their $1 menu periodically and trim off items that aren't driving the sales numbers they need.

You have to understand that a lot of business these days goes MUCH deeper than the obvious. As consumers, we have no insight into why companies make the choices they make. Sometimes something that looks like a dumb move is actually extremely clever, we just don't have the information to see it as such. And sometimes it's just a dumb move.

Lastly, and I don't know the timeframe for moving the fish, but they probably don't want it on the $1 menu during lent, as fish tends to sell very well at that one time of year. But they also probably don't want to move it straight from the dollar-menu to the full price menu just in time for lent, because then it looks like they're gouging people. So they move it a couple months beforehand, then put it on "sale" (often B1G1) for lent.

Let's face it - McDonald's has this shit figured out. Sure, they've tried their share of things that didn't work and they've struggled a bit in recent years as people get a bit more health-conscious and competition flourishes (as with Kraken - some people will prefer to get ass-raped at Five Guys for a slightly better burger and lousy fries than go to McDonald's), but their latest fiscal report was actually up a fair amount after they offered breakfast all day and (though it sounds counter-intuitive) actually TRIMMED their menu.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hate to undermine the Daehawk dogpile, but the fish sandwich is on their new McPick 2 menu as one of the 2-for-2 options. ;)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote:
stessier wrote:
The cost of one person to pull out 4 ounces of cod from the ocean, transport it to their home, and then fry it with 1 bun and 2 oz of sauce and have it ready within a few minutes of whenever they feel like having one would not be insubstantial. And then figure that several million other people are trying to do the same thing at the same time.

There is this thing called economy of scale.

MYT