Hey soccer fans!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: Hey soccer fans!

Post by El Guapo »

Ahhh, I was rooting for England due to spending some time there. Still, great that Croatia made the final for the first time ever.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've just started watching American Fiasco, Rog Bennett's podcast about the U.S. team at the 1998 World Cup. I am now forever grateful to Mr. Bennett for making me aware of this Super Bowl Shuffle-style music video produced for the 1990 team, with guest appearances by Cathy Lee Crosby and O.J. Simpson.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oof...the first goal of the World Cup final was the result of a dive. Boo.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That’s a fucking garbage goal. France dude didn’t even get touched, makes a ridiculous dive, and gets a free kick. Goal. :evil:

Croatia was playing really well, hope they don’t fold.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

WOW!! :shock:

That goal was brilliant.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fantastic goal.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not a fan of stopping the game for video review, but that PK was the right call.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Great goal from France.

They’ve played really well today, but I’m thinking Croatia might just be out of gas.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Really good game. Glad that garbage dive wasn’t the difference.

Sad to see this tourney end. This was a truly fantastic few weeks of soccer.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Finished work at 5:30 yesterday. Turned off phone. Woke up, and just had time to watch it before coming to work. That was awesome. Good job Croatia. Really got deeper than they had any right too. Awesome for them.

France on another level and could be so for a long time potentially.

Allez les bleus!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The U.S. women beat Brazil in the (not very important) Tournament of Nations final.

Ladies and gentlemen, Megan Rapinoe:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The combination of the shit eating grin and the double take from Marta is priceless.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 pm The combination of Rapinoe's shit eating grin and the double take from Marta is priceless.
Hodor.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 pm The combination of Rapinoe's shit eating grin and the double take from Marta is priceless.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 pm The combination of the shit eating grin and the double take from Marta is priceless.
I love watching her play. She always seems like she's having the time of her life.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Rapinoe has always been my favorite on the team, love watching her play.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I got to see this play live tonight. So, so incredible.

Hodor.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah that was pretty sweet LoL
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

:shock:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Christian Pulisic is now the most expensive US Soccer player ever after Chelsea paid over $70M US for him.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:32 pm Christian Pulisic is now the most expensive US Soccer player ever after Chelsea paid over $70M US for him.
How does that work out for him though? Chelsea paid Dortmund, right? Does Pulisic see any of that?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:15 am
pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:32 pm Christian Pulisic is now the most expensive US Soccer player ever after Chelsea paid over $70M US for him.
How does that work out for him though? Chelsea paid Dortmund, right? Does Pulisic see any of that?
Most likely not. He'll make whatever big bucks are in the new deal he signed with Chelsea, but I haven't seen any figures on that. Otherwise, the $70+M goes to Dortmund.
Hodor.
mori

Post by mori »

Depends on the contract he had with Dortmund. If had a sell on percentage clause, such as 5% for example, he would get that amount of the sale. Also the youth club he trained with in the states before he left for Germany, have some claims for a payday as well.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

mori wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:06 pm Also the youth club he trained with in the states before he left for Germany, have some claims for a payday as well.
Looks like not.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:39 pm
mori wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:06 pm Also the youth club he trained with in the states before he left for Germany, have some claims for a payday as well.
Looks like not.
There's been a big row about this recently regarding DeAndre Yedlin's youth club wanting a cut of the transfer fee Seattle received when they sold him to Tottenham, but they've seen $0 and still fighting a protracted battle regarding that issue.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Geez, this sucks.
Soccer star Emiliano Sala delivered a desperate message to relatives just before the single-engine plane he was flying in vanished over the English Channel: “Dad, I’m really scared.”

The 28-year-old striker’s likely final words emerged on Wednesday as the search for him and the pilot of the Piper Malibu resumed.

“I’m in the plane and it looks like it’s going to fall apart,” the Argentina-born forward told friends in a voice message from the aircraft. “Dad, I’m really scared.”

Sala was set to make his debut in the English Premier League playing for the struggling Cardiff City. He had inked a record $19 million contract with the club just last week.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
One body has been seen in the underwater wreckage of the plane that was carrying footballer Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson.

A search on Sunday found the Piper Malibu plane on the seabed off Guernsey, almost two weeks after it went missing.

The Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) confirmed the sighting on Monday morning.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Apparently a crowdfunded search team found it after the official search team couldn't.

On Sunday it was announced private investigators hired by the star’s family had discovered the doomed aircraft on the seabed using two boats which picked up a sonar signal, two weeks after it dropped off the radar. The breakthrough followed a crowdfunding campaign which was supported by 4,700 people - including big-name footballers - to raise more than €371,000 for the search to go on after rescuers called it off. Kylian Mbappe donated £26,000 (€30,010), Adrien Rabiot gave £21,500 (€25,000), Dmitri Payet put up £8,600 (€10,000) and Alassane Plea forked out £7,014 (€8,000) on the GoFundMe page.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The MLS goal of the year may have already been scored during Saturday's DC United 5-0 win over RSL.

What a service from Wayne Rooney (who had a hat trick in the game!), and what a volley by Lucas Rodriguez.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

EU fines Nike
Nike has become the latest target in the Europe Union’s crackdown on antitrust violators.

The bloc’s competition commission slapped Nike with a $14 million fine, saying the sports apparel giant prevented many of its licensees from selling soccer team merchandise across European borders, leaving shoppers with fewer choices and higher prices.
The licensed merchandise included mugs, bags, toys and bedding with branding for FC Barcelona, Manchester United, Juventus, Inter Milan, AS Roma and the French Football Federation. The E.U. panel said Nike engaged in what is known as geo-blocking from 2004 to 2017. Vestager has been looking into Nike’s licensing and distribution behavior, along with those of Universal Studios (which holds the licensing rights to “Minions” and “Despicable Me”) and Sanrio (Hello Kitty) since 2017.

The fine came after a turbulent year for the company. Last March, several Nike executives were forced out amid complaints about a “boys’ club” culture. Female employees had circulated an informal survey that also raised concerns about gender and pay disparities within the company.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Bayern Munich and Arsenal will be playing in Los Angeles in July as part of the ICC tournament. Definitely getting tickets. I got to see a Bayern Munich game when I was in Germany over the holidays in December and had a blast.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Wow indeed.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Tottenham decided that this whole comeback thing is a good idea.

Conform or be cast out!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Is there a mercy rule at the Women's World Cup? The U.S. is currently up 8-0 against Thailand, and there are still 15 minutes to go.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Final score, 13-0.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well, goal differential shouldn't be a problem.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Gato

Post by Gato »

Always found that annoying in soccer.
Not to target the USA team, because i saw this a lot of time in either women or men world cup.
Just stop celebrating it's a blowout. You still see the players jumping in each others arms on goal 9,10.11.12 and even 13.
A little respect maybe.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Gato wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:09 pm Always found that annoying in soccer.
Not to target the USA team, because i saw this a lot of time in either women or men world cup.
Just stop celebrating it's a blowout. You still see the players jumping in each others arms on goal 9,10.11.12 and even 13.
A little respect maybe.
I'm torn on this. I 100% get what you're saying and I'm always a fan of the athlete who acts like they've 'been there/done that before' as opposed to the athlete that celebrates like they just cured cancer, but this is the WC and you don't know how many of these you'll ever play in. The hope is that you just dont see too many games where the competition is so over-matched. And if that means you drop the number of finalists in the WC, I'm OK with that. This game didnt do anything for anyone, and it didnt help the game itself, either.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup