[Movie]Captain America - Civil War (AKA Avengers 2.5)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

[Movie]Captain America - Civil War (AKA Avengers 2.5)

Post by Grifman »

Ok, this is shaping up more like another Avengers movie than anything else. All announced characters so far:

Captain America
Ironman
Falcon
Hawkeye
Black Widow
Antman
Vision
Winter Soldier
War Machine
Scarlett Witch
Black Panther
Sharon Carter/Agent 13
Spiderman

http://www.thewrap.com/paul-rudd-paul-b ... civil-war/

That's kind of good and kind of bad. It's always exciting to see everyone in action but I really liked Evans in Winter Soldier and his story arc (side note - I think this was the best Marvel flick). I'd really like a movie focused on Cap given Evan's portrayal but I don't see that happening with all of the above. You're going to have to split time between both camps and then split the time even more between heroes (though some may be nothing more than cameos). They really need to get a good script for this or else it will be a mess.

This could be the most interesting or the most disastrous Marvel movie yet.
Last edited by Grifman on Fri May 08, 2015 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
AWS260

Re: [Movie]Captain America - Civil War (AKA Avengers 2.5)

Post by AWS260 »

Grifman wrote:This could be the most interesting or the most disastrous Marvel movie yet.
That sounds about right.

I really enjoyed Age of Ultron, but it was straining at the seams with so many characters and story beats. Civil War could be much worse.

The best solution might be to handle it like comic books often do -- shove most of the characters into the background with just a line or two, so that they can be there for the big fights but don't get in the way of the story. That could lead to a lot of irritated actors, though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Every single character on there has an established character. There won't have to be any origin stories. And Marvel has no problem stretching these beyond 2 hours to get all the goodies in there.

:pop:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You really like the Black Widow don't you.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

dbt1949 wrote:You really like the Black Widow don't you.
Heh :) Fixed! But yes, I like her Golden Globes!
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote:Every single character on there has an established character. There won't have to be any origin stories. And Marvel has no problem stretching these beyond 2 hours to get all the goodies in there.

Black Panther's not established - he doesn't get his own movie until 2018.

That said, they haven't done origin stories for a lot of characters. Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch for examples. They've realized that origin stories for non-central characters are unnecessary, really.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He wants to be Black Widows to be the bread in his Hawkeye sandwich.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GargoyleBoy wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Every single character on there has an established character. There won't have to be any origin stories. And Marvel has no problem stretching these beyond 2 hours to get all the goodies in there.

Black Panther's not established - he doesn't get his own movie until 2018.

That said, they haven't done origin stories for a lot of characters. Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch for examples. They've realized that origin stories for non-central characters are unnecessary, really.
True, I missed him. But yeah, we don't need thirty minutes of BW's ballet lessons and her Ender's Game fights in the locker room.

Renner could hold his own in a Hawkeye movie if they made one. If they can work it in between his Mission: Impossible and Bourne movies.
stessier

Post by stessier »

A Marvel disaster is still 100x more interesting than most other stuff out there these days.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Eck, forgot Spiderman is supposed to be in this also, though the actor has not yet been announced. Edited!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just because they are 'in' the film doesn't mean that they have story roles. They could just be long cameos in a big battle sequence.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I have a bad feeling that this will be Marvels first flop in years. Mind you, my only exposure to it is from the Wiki articles but it doesn’t sound like a story that will work as a movie unless they change pretty much everything.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm afraid I'm starting to reach the saturation point with Marvel. Their movies are starting to get really "same-y." I enjoy them, but I don't excitedly look forward to them, if that makes any sense.

If I'm being brutally honest, the only two Marvel movies I absolutely LOVED were Iron Man 1 and Guardians of the Galaxy. The rest were just entertaining popcorn fare.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Lordnine wrote:I have a bad feeling that this will be Marvels first flop in years. Mind you, my only exposure to it is from the Wiki articles but it doesn’t sound like a story that will work as a movie unless they change pretty much everything.
That's a bit pessimistic given Marvel's track record.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not sure why it sounds like a flop. It's got a decent story behind it, and a lot of great characters. I would think the recipe for this one is about as good as it gets.
He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Marvel's done just fine by me so far. Even the lowest of the MCU films (Hulk and the two Thors, IMHO) are sufficiently entertaining that I've watched them repeatedly and enjoyed them. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and then some until such time as they put a genuine piece of garbage up on the screen. I'm optimistic that they're smart enough to avoid that trap.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, in my mind Civil War needs a buttload of characters to side with either Tony or Cap. It will be interesting to see how those folks line up.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

YellowKing wrote:I'm afraid I'm starting to reach the saturation point with Marvel. Their movies are starting to get really "same-y." I enjoy them, but I don't excitedly look forward to them, if that makes any sense.

If I'm being brutally honest, the only two Marvel movies I absolutely LOVED were Iron Man 1 and Guardians of the Galaxy. The rest were just entertaining popcorn fare.
Same here, pretty much. :| With the exception of Guardians, I've found all the Marvel movies fun. But I've walked out of most of them feeling hollow. I realized after seeing Ultron that I really like all the characters, but I just don't care about them. I love watching RDJ, but that's because he's RDJ. I'd watch him in anything. I was close to becoming emotionally invested in the Black Widow/Hulk relationship, but that kind of came out of nowhere and was just one of a dozen other threads.

While I'm happy Marvel hasn't tried to duplicate the tone or style of Nolan's Batman trilogy, I've still failed to find any of their films as engaging or meaningful. And I guess it's OK for them to just be good popcorn movies. It just seems like their efforts to build a strong and cohesive shared universe is holding back the individual characters' stories. Perhaps you can't have it both ways.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hentzau wrote:Yeah, in my mind Civil War needs a buttload of characters to side with either Tony or Cap. It will be interesting to see how those folks line up.
I appreciate the way they inserted Falcon and War Machine, for example, into Ultron. I can see similar being successful in Civil War. But wouldn't Civil War have been better as a standalone movie after the conclusion of this Avengers arc? I guess they have to get the most out of this generation of actors while they can.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sudy Nym wrote:While I'm happy Marvel hasn't tried to duplicate the tone or style of Nolan's Batman trilogy, I've still failed to find any of their films as engaging or meaningful.
Nolan's movies were dark but I don't know if they were meaningful. No super hero movie has been as meaningful as Winter Soldier, which questioned the limits of surveillance technology and how power can be abused by those claiming to protect us. It is especially relevant in today's world with Snowden's revelations about NSA snooping.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Grifman wrote:
Lordnine wrote:I have a bad feeling that this will be Marvels first flop in years. Mind you, my only exposure to it is from the Wiki articles but it doesn’t sound like a story that will work as a movie unless they change pretty much everything.
That's a bit pessimistic given Marvel's track record.
It’s really the tonal shift that I think will be the downfall. The general public doesn’t want to see the silly fun characters they’ve come to know in a serious fight with each other in which they might actually get each other killed. Up to this point, Marvel has mostly stuck to very light hearted movies.

Winter Soldier and Daredevil (Netflix) both stepped away from this but they both did it by distancing themselves from the more fantastical elements of the Marvel universe. Daredevil in particular worked because aside from a few in jokes, was completely removed from the rest of the universe. A dark and serious villain like the Kingpin doesn’t work in a universe in which a god can fly up to him and smash him with a magic hammer. Unless of course you are already a comic book fanatic, which I don’t think makes up a very large portion of the demographic of the marvel movies.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I think AntMan is going to be an awful flop, and the pundits will bemoan the streak of Marvel movie successes, and then everyone will flock to the next good movie - Cap 3, Avengers 3, whatever.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's a long time between Ant-Man and Phase 3 to have that be the last one stuck in people's minds.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Grifman wrote:Nolan's movies were dark but I don't know if they were meaningful.
I found them personally and artistically meaningful. Thematically or philosophically meaningful I'd have to think about. :)

I didn't like the plot of Winter Soldier as much as I as hoping to because I'm just bloody tired of S.H.I.E.L.D., Samuel L. Jackson, and those stupid flying carriers. As much as I like the shared universe, I'm more interested in seeing the characters delve into their own personal mythologies. I think both Thor films really did a good job of that, even if they weren't the best stories.

Now that it occurs to me though, I think the 2nd Thor was better than I gave it credit for at the time. My memories of it have sweetened. I should give it another watch and see if it's grown on me.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The side are revealed:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Cap's team is looking seriously underpowered!
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

There are two people I don't recognize. The blond on Cap's team, and flat top on Jerkman's team.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Doomboy wrote:flat top on Jerkman's team
4th from the left?
Spoiler:
Black Panther, which is odd, considering he's a foreign potentate.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Ah. Yeah, that is weird.
Spoiler:
What is even weirder is that it appears that none of Cap's team even actually have super powers. Except him.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Uhhh, so...

Android Superman and two men in suits that allow them to stand up to demigods

Versus

One super soldier and a dude with a bow and arrow…

I hope Captain America brought plot armor!
DD*

Post by DD* »

Lordnine wrote:Uhhh, so...

Versus

I do remember Thor being seriously pissed at IM in the Ultron movie. Perhaps a brief appearance to even the odds? Thor can whip pretty much anyone in the MCU's ass, with the exception of Hulk.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

DD* wrote:
Lordnine wrote:Uhhh, so...

Versus

I do remember Thor being seriously pissed at IM in the Ultron movie. Perhaps a brief appearance to even the odds? Thor can whip pretty much anyone in the MCU's ass, with the exception of Hulk.
Thor's going to be off fighting in Ragnarok, so I don't see him showing up for this little donnybrook. (Besides, he isn't in the cast list.)

I was pretty stoked to see Sharon Carter featured pretty prominently in the lineup. Another shout out to old school '70s Marvel.

And I was thinking, if Hawkeye has any EMP arrows, that could pretty much mess up Team Iron Man's day.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
RMC

Post by RMC »

Is Spiderman still showing up in this little shin dig?

And I actually like these movies, the wife will go to see them with me, and she hates comics, but she likes the fast pace of the movies(And I think she just likes to go out to movies with me. )

I actually read all the Civil War comics, and there is a ton of dark/depth to the comics, and the movie will gloss over some of the overtones, but that is fine as I don't really need that level of darkness in a popcorn flick.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We won't get to see the Wolverine aspect of the story, so there won't likely be an overarching conspiracy about the cause of the triggering event.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Hawkeye and Black Widow have pretty much shown themselves to be best friends, yet they end up fighting each other?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given BW's show at the end of CA: TWS, there's going to have to be some excellent writing to show why she ends up on the other side.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah the friends fighting friends was a big theme in the comics.. And true lots of missing players from the comics...
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

#TeamCap
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

RMC wrote:Is Spiderman still showing up in this little shin dig?

And I actually like these movies, the wife will go to see them with me, and she hates comics, but she likes the fast pace of the movies(And I think she just likes to go out to movies with me. )

I actually read all the Civil War comics, and there is a ton of dark/depth to the comics, and the movie will gloss over some of the overtones, but that is fine as I don't really need that level of darkness in a popcorn flick.
What's interesting is we bought my son an Iron Spider costume for Halloween and it was listed as being Civil War merchandise. So that implies Spiderman is in it enough that Tony makes him a suit of armor? That or just marketing for the toys and costumes.