Vehicle advice (Previously 'time to get rid of my vehicle')

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Vehicle advice (Previously 'time to get rid of my vehicle')

Post by Blackhawk »

My van is getting old, and it is starting to fall apart. It is a 2001 Ford Windstar. It had 120,000 miles on it when we bought it in 2003. I've been driving it ever since. It just passed 200,000 miles in the past couple of weeks.

Minor things have failed for years that I haven't had the cash to repair - one of the rear doors doesn't open, the rear wiper doesn't work, one rear window won't open, the latch on the rear hatch has to be manually reset or it won't close, and the power locks are temperamental. They only unlock one door, and often have to be hit three or four times to do that. The cruise control doesn't work. The bottom along the sides is rusted out (Indiana uses salt on the roads in the winter.) Oh, and I just went to look in the engine an the hood release broke off in my hand. I'm guessing that any further repair costs are going to exceed the vehicle's value - which I just checked, and is far lower than I'd expected. Most of that, though, is cosmetic and convenience stuff. I can pull a door handle to unlock it. I can trip the rear latch.

Lately, though, it has been one thing after another mechanically. I replaced the rear brakes in October, which ate up my Christamas budget. I had to replace the plugs, wires, and fuel filter last month, which ate up my summer savings for the boys. Now, in the last three weeks, the engine has started to squeak, the front brakes have begun to squeal, and I was told that the battery is about to die. I have no more savings to fund repairs.

Here's the problem: I have no savings, and I have no ability to take on a regular monthly expense. I've already had to cut my food budget down from $360 to $240/month (for three people) to keep on top of my medical bills. That means I need to make due with what I can trade the van in for. The trade in value of the van - checked in three different places - is about $600.

I am also completely incapable of bargaining, and know absolutely nothing about cars. Not a thing.

Also, my kids go to school 25 miles away, and the only grocery store in my town is about 50% higher than anything in a regular town (they're the only one here, and they know it.) Not having a working vehicle is not an option.

:grund:
Last edited by Blackhawk on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Re: Time to get rid of my vehicle?

Post by Daehawk »

Wow someone put over half its miles on it in 2 years and you've not put that much on it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was probably a fleet vehicle before I owned it.

The funny thing is, as bad as it is, it has less wrong with it than any other vehicle I've ever owned. It will only be the second vehicle I've owned that didn't get hauled away as salvage. It is also only the second vehicle I've owned in which both the AC and heater both worked.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well usually you get more on a private sell but some places have a minimum or set price they pay no matter what..like 2500 or something. Id probably trade in on another used car.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

This site mentions a charitable organization that offers vehicles and repair services for low income families in Indiana:
Indiana -PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT RUN THESE PROGRAMS. Nor am I in anyway what so ever affiliated with any of them.

Grace Care Center offers Repairs and vehicles to those who qualify. By appointment only. To find out how to qualify click here.
Given your situation, it's probably at least worth investigating.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I was going to ask if you were considered disabled and looked up info on it but found nothing.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My sister in MI recently needed to replace her broken down truck and found somebody there who deals with charity cases. She credits God so I'm guessing it was some religious outfit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got a few things I want to check into before I go that route. I was just feeling a bit frustrated and felt the need to rant - I've been trying to get my monthly working balance back into positive numbers since last October, and every time I've removed one expense, another has popped up.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Blackhawk wrote:It was probably a fleet vehicle before I owned it.

The funny thing is, as bad as it is, it has less wrong with it than any other vehicle I've ever owned. It will only be the second vehicle I've owned that didn't get hauled away as salvage. It is also only the second vehicle I've owned in which both the AC and heater both worked.
I bought a used Aerostar in the 90s and drove it for several years. It was a fleet vehicle and ended up with 145k miles I think, shortly after I sold it the engine gave out on it.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was going to go 'how is it still running in that condition?' but i'm impressed. however, your brakes are wearing down - continuing to drive without replacing those will lead to bigger, more extensive and expensive damage (and is a huge safety hazard). of course you know this, but that's really bad news. if i lived nearby, i'd fix those for ya.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I actually take good care of it - worn parts get fixed or replaced as soon as they show signs (rear brakes were just replaced last year), oil is changed regularly, I drive carefully, and so on and so on. It just has so many miles on it that things are starting to wear out more and more frequently, and with the medical bills I just can't do it anymore.

I've put about $700 into repairs in the past eight months. Now that I find that it is only worth $550-$600 to begin with (we paid, I think, $6k when we bought it) - it just doesn't make sense to put more into it.
rshetts3

Post by rshetts3 »

You don't want payments but if youre paying for repairs every month, whats the difference? I had the same issue with my dodge Ram Truck. Do what I did, find a good reliable used vehicle you can afford. Get as much as you can in trade for your van. Finance as little as possible and start driving a more reliable vehicle. I managed to find a real nice Lexus SUV, put as much down as I could and got my payments down to under $100/month for 3 years. Its a good thing I did as I got laid off a month after I bought it. I can still afford the small payment, so its all good. Of course Im going on what Im dealing with, I don't know how tough it would be for you to do something like that but if you get creative, you can find a solution.
rshetts3

Post by rshetts3 »

Oh I forgot to add, if your situation is very dire, check with organizations like Purple Heart, they take donation vehicles from people, make them drivable and then provide them either free or at very low cost for people in need. Theres a number of charitable organizations who do this ( Mother Waddles is another one here in Michigan ) so that's an option as well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The fact that I'm making de-facto payments through repairs is why I've had to shave a third off of my food budget and eat crap, and why I'm getting rid of the vehicle. The expense is one that I simply do not have the income to cover. It needs to stop and go away.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:I actually take good care of it - worn parts get fixed or replaced as soon as they show signs (rear brakes were just replaced last year), oil is changed regularly, I drive carefully, and so on and so on. It just has so many miles on it that things are starting to wear out more and more frequently, and with the medical bills I just can't do it anymore.

I've put about $700 into repairs in the past eight months. Now that I find that it is only worth $550-$600 to begin with (we paid, I think, $6k when we bought it) - it just doesn't make sense to put more into it.
I've put around $2K in to a car worth probably <$1K over the last two years. I think it's worth it because the alternative is at least $7K in payments or depreciation on a new/new used car.

If a repair keeps it going and going safely for 6 months, you have to look at what the alternative cost of a replacement car over those 6 months would be, not how much the car is worth. Granted eventually it becomes a losing proposition as everything starts to go and you can't even predict 6 months out but I don't think resale value is a good measuring stick for what repairs are worth.

I wish I knew of a better solution. I know every time I drive through Indiana there are tons of cars for sale on the side of the road for a few hundred bucks. If you know a mechanic with a few hours to kill, maybe look for a sale-by-owner bargain?

An alternative would be to contact a local news organization, grit your teeth and say you would never let a gay person repair your car, and then start a go fund me campaign. You'll be in a Bentley within a week. Right?
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Make sure they fixed the hood ornament recall so you don't injure any pedestrians when you run over them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: An alternative would be to contact a local news organization, grit your teeth and say you would never let a gay person repair your car, and then start a go fund me campaign. You'll be in a Bentley within a week. Right?
Tempting, if it weren't for the fact that the only person I have to help me car shop is a gay person.

I've dumped about a thousand dollars into this thing over the past eight months, and now I've got the brakes going bad, an engine light, and the serpentine belt squeaking - loudly. The killer was when the kids door stopped opening from the inside. Taking the door apart to fix that would probably cost a fortune, have them locked inside in an emergency would be horrific, and that's on top of the other stuff.

I simply can't pay for those repairs. I just did my monthly budget for April. After paying my bills, I'm left with $17.30 until May, and that is after once again cutting my food budget from $320 to $240 for the month. When I say I can't pay for the repairs, it isn't me preferring not to spend the money - it is that the money doesn't actually exist.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote:I simply can't pay for those repairs. I just did my monthly budget for April. After paying my bills, I'm left with $17.30 until May, and that is after once again cutting my food budget from $320 to $240 for the month. When I say I can't pay for the repairs, it isn't me preferring not to spend the money - it is that the money doesn't actually exist.
So why not make contact with the aforementioned 'Grace Care Center' (or other similar charitable organization in your vicinity along the same lines)? What they offer seems pretty much tailor-made for someone in your situation.

You're a single dad struggling to raise a family on what is clearly an extremely limited income, so it's difficult to imagine you would not qualify to receive their assistance. If they can provide repairs or even a roadworthy replacement vehicle to you for little to no cost, it doesn't seem like you'd have much to lose by finding out if they can help. Perhaps if they're located too far away from you, they may be able to put you in touch with a similar organization that would be more practical for you. Either way, it seems like it's at least worth a shot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

The squeak might be a pulley or tensioner. Not very expensive. You aren't carrying comprehensive insurance are you, that could save you a bundle right there. No need on a $600 vehicle. I'd drive it till it's dead, you can probably get $600 as junk.
Stop funding for NPR
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

[see below]
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

em2nought wrote: I'd drive it till it's dead, you can probably get $600 as junk.
The problem with that is the potential for catastrophic failure with two kids in the back and a door that won't open.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: So why not make contact with the aforementioned 'Grace Care Center' (or other similar charitable organization in your vicinity along the same lines)? What they offer seems pretty much tailor-made for someone in your situation.

You're a single dad struggling to raise a family on what is clearly an extremely limited income, so it's difficult to imagine you would not qualify to receive their assistance.
if the money isn't there, it isn't there. Blackhawk, you may be resistant to the charity route, but this really seems to be the best option here (considering legitimate need + imminent safety issues).
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am looking into options, including getting such assistance. I'm still at the early stages of digging, though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You up for some contract work? What's your skilled labor charge for painting miniatures?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote:You up for some contract work? What's your skilled labor charge for painting miniatures?
Ha! I've looked at that possibility in the past. The problem is that while I'm a decent painter, I'm a slow painter. When I looked up pricing for miniature painting, then looked at how fast I paint, I figured I'd end up making less than a dollar an hour.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Update: The brakes are close to going. They've gone soft, and the pedal goes halfway to the floor before it starts to slow me down. I've arranged alternate transport for the kids home from school today. On Friday I have an appointment with my oncologist that I cannot miss. After that, the van is parked.

I've looked into some of the vehicle programs out there. A few are scams, many are for a local area only. A few have me on waiting lists, but I've been told that means months, at a minimum. I'm pulling every string I can locally. I have even considered a GoFundMe campaign, but I hate seeing other people begging for money that way, and don't want to be part of that.

Friendly note to OO: In the past you folks have saved my ass from the fire a few times. When I got my divorce and was living on less than my rent + power bill, OO gave me the money to pay the heating and buy food until I was able to reboot my finances enough to survive. I was weeks away from being homeless that time. When I had cancer last year, OO was the reason I had money for gas to and from my daily radiation treatments and for the daily necessities I needed for recovery (special 'foods', etc.)

Please don't do that this time. I value OO as a place I can vent when things get over my head, a place where I can ask for advice. I don't ever want my advice posts to be viewed as an attempt to be bailed out. If people started thinking that, I wouldn't be able to let myself vent here anymore, and OO as a community is more valuable than an easy solution.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote:I have even considered a GoFundMe campaign, but I hate seeing other people begging for money that way, and don't want to be part of that.
I have really, really been agonizing over this bit here. This sort of thing has been so abused by people wanting to, say, pay parking tickets, or get rich because someone was slightly unfriendly that it has gotten a reputation for being classless. I really don't want to go that route, but I have to do something, as I won't be able to take my kids to school as of next Monday. I could use some feedback. When is it legitimate?
MHS

Post by MHS »

Blackhawk wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I have even considered a GoFundMe campaign, but I hate seeing other people begging for money that way, and don't want to be part of that.
I have really, really been agonizing over this bit here. This sort of thing has been so abused by people wanting to, say, pay parking tickets, or get rich because someone was slightly unfriendly that it has gotten a reputation for being classless. I really don't want to go that route, but I have to do something, as I won't be able to take my kids to school as of next Monday. I could use some feedback. When is it legitimate?
I think having cancer and being on disability and needing a way to get your kids to school qualifies. The nice thing about GoFundMe is that people who want to help and have the means to do so, can. People who don't, don't have to feel obligated.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Let the people donating decide if it is legitimate. You need help and are smart enough to know it is okay to ask for it. The people who agree will donate and the people who don't, won't - no hard feelings either way.

I've seen funds asking to go on vacation - I don't see the need to fund those but I don't begrudge someone asking. I can't imagine someone begrudging asking in your situation, but they will exist. That shouldn't stop you from allowing those who want to help.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote:You need help and are smart enough to know it is okay to ask for it.
No, I'm not. When it comes to questions of social appropriateness, I'm fairly clueless. It is part of the reason I ended up on disability. I have no idea what is appropriate, and made so many humiliating mistakes as a kid that I reached a point where I tend to solve the problem by never putting myself in situations where it comes up. One example of that is that I never, ever ask for help. Ever. It scares the living crap out of me, and we're talking panic attack levels, which is where I've been for a couple of days now. Really, I've been sitting here almost in tears because I have no idea how to solve this.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now is an appropriate time to ask for help.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sorry, didn't realize. What Isgrimnur said.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I ran into a situation where I needed a car or money to repair a car and didn't have a solution, I'd pick up the phone and call family - namely, my parents. From what you've shared, you're pretty much on your own out there so not having a family member to call and help out is a rather unique position to be in. At that point, any and all options should be explored.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just be smart with your stretch goals!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My story time. A couple months ago, the AC in my new house quit. We had just sunk almost every spare dollar into getting the house and moving. My wife had lost her job three weeks prior. The estimate came back at $1800 just to fix what was wrong on a 15yo unit that might have something else break as soon as the guy drove off again. Or we could get a new system for ~$6k.

I had absolutely no hope of being able to come up with the funds in short order. I had to call my father and ask for help, something that I dreaded. I was almost in tears just making the call to ask for help. He helped me out. When I was talking to him later, going through the details of everything else going on, my wife could tell I was getting more upset. After I got off the phone, I completely broke down, because every question he asked just stressed me out more, and there was no way for me to disengage from the conversation or vent my frustrations to/at him given that he had just shelled out that money so that we didn't slow roast in our house.

I understand how much it sucks to have to admit that things are beyond your ability to fix them, how much it sucks to have to ask for help, swallow your pride, and admit that you can't handle it.
Isgrimnur wrote:Now is an appropriate time to ask for help.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Please don't do that this time. I value OO as a place I can vent when things get over my head, a place where I can ask for advice. I don't ever want my advice posts to be viewed as an attempt to be bailed out. If people started thinking that, I wouldn't be able to let myself vent here anymore, and OO as a community is more valuable than an easy solution.
I totally understand this.

Blackhawk wrote: One example of that is that I never, ever ask for help. Ever.
And this.

Just one thing to keep in mind, if you do go via indiegogo, they take 5% off the top plus merchant/paypal fees. This is probably not a problem here but the direct route is a bit more efficient.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I don't even know where to begin. I've often felt like my family sometimes hangs on that thread - a winter where repairs mount up and costs are high and before we know it, I'm going to the gas station for diesel in a blizzard with 2 5-gallon gas cans because we can only afford 10 gallons of heating oil to get us through to the next paycheck. It's a shitty, dark, gut-wrenching feeling.

The only thing to do when all other options fail is to start asking - programs, services - they don't judge and are built to help people who need it. You've had a helluva rough year and likely qualify. Maybe you could do some volunteer work for one of them as a means of 'repayment' or thanks if it helps the sting hurt less?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wasn't even aware Indiegogo covered such things. I thought they were more about projects.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, I set up a campaign. I still haven't decided whether to post it to social media like everyone suggests. It is actually harder to ask help from people I know, especially those that I have to see face to face.