[AMC] Better Call Saul

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [AMC] Better Call Saul

Post by hepcat »

I think he's shedding more and more of his humanity as times goes by.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hmmm, why would Jimmy want to twist the knife in Howard. I dunno, maybe because he shafted Jimmy on the nursing home lawsuit. Or because he shafted Kim? Or because he backed Chuck on keeping Jimmy from progressing with the firm? I don't think he needs the Chuck blame to stick it to Howard.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You might be right. I feel Howard is completely justified in everything he's done related to Jimmy and Kim. I doubt Jimmy sees it that way though.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:04 pm Hmmm, why would Jimmy want to twist the knife in Howard. I dunno, maybe because he shafted Jimmy on the nursing home lawsuit. Or because he shafted Kim? Or because he backed Chuck on keeping Jimmy from progressing with the firm? I don't think he needs the Chuck blame to stick it to Howard.
I also think Howard's glowing obituary of Chuck that (unless I missed it) was entirely about his law career/accomplishments and didn't mention anything about his family set him off too.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The obituary served two purposes. It showed just how much Howard looked up to Chuck and it also showed just how little Jimmy had accomplished.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Daveman wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:04 pm Hmmm, why would Jimmy want to twist the knife in Howard. I dunno, maybe because he shafted Jimmy on the nursing home lawsuit. Or because he shafted Kim? Or because he backed Chuck on keeping Jimmy from progressing with the firm? I don't think he needs the Chuck blame to stick it to Howard.
I also think Howard's glowing obituary of Chuck that (unless I missed it) was entirely about his law career/accomplishments and didn't mention anything about his family set him off too.
That's how I interpreted it. It was all about fluffing up the law firm.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daveman wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 pm
You could see how that recitation hurt Jimmy -- all his life, Chuck was the golden boy, everything that Jimmy could never be even when he tried (as we saw him do at the law firm, only to be sabotaged by Chuck). Jimmy was jealous of Chuck and resented him at the same time, and Chuck's obit just drove home that Jimmy was always the black sheep and always will be.

Just as an aside, I loved the "time passes" scene on the couch when they faded Kim out of the picture as the light dimmed. Brilliant.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Apparently Kim is not a member of team Howard.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I love that Gus has flown in a doctor from John Hopkins just to keep Hector alive.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

So the dealer who tampered the meds (can't remember) had his associate killed in a really horrible way just because Gus was pissed that his revenge dream wasn't going to happen as he had planned? That's a hardcore level of vengeance.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I think it was more Gus putting the Salamanca crew back in their place, but robbing him of revenge is a part. Remember Gus is the one getting the drugs across the border and he didn't like having to split it with Hector. Knowing whats-his-name is responsible for Hector means Gus has leverage over him and will presumably let him take over more of the Salamanca business, or he'll let Tuco know who put Hector in the hospital.

Speaking of which, I really hope Tuco comes back. His appearance early in season 1 was phenomenal.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

F Chuck.
Charles McGill wrote:I don't want to hurt your feelings, but the truth is, you've NEVER mattered all that much to me.
Emphasis mine.

Those were the last words Chuck ever spoke to his brother, Jimmy. "Never" being a key word in the phrase as this means it goes back to their early childhood. For as much of a shitbag that Jimmy is, he always looked up to his brother and even in the end came to Chuck in a conciliatory manner. Chuck killing himself was the coward's way out as he lost to Howard and lost to Jimmy and used his last action to both end his misery and (try to) hurt Jimmy for the rest of his life. However, we are seeing that Jimmy is not falling for the trap. Everything from, "that's a cross you'll have to bear" towards Howard, to not going to the meeting about Chuck's estate, to immediately going out on job interviews instead of mourning, are all calculated actions by Jimmy to not let Chuck have his way.

Jimmy isn't looking to hurt Howard, or anyone else, intentionally. He doesn't give a shit about Howard. He is doing whatever it takes to not let Chuck dictate his feelings and if other people get in the way of that, it's all collateral damage. Getting closer and closer to Saul Goodman.
18-1™ & 2-0
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

McNutt wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:28 am So the dealer who tampered the meds (can't remember) had his associate killed in a really horrible way just because Gus was pissed that his revenge dream wasn't going to happen as he had planned? That's a hardcore level of vengeance.
Nacho is the dealer. I'm still foggy on how exactly Gus figured it out.
18-1™ & 2-0
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

His dude saw Nacho throw something in the river after Salamanca’s stroke. I doubt Gus knows how Nacho did what he did, but he knows he did something.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Jimmy is hurting Howard intentionality because Jimmy is a bad person. He's scum. Borderline sociopath.

Fuck Chuck? No, fuck Jimmy. I feel like I'm Chuck getting pissed because people like his low life brother.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I wonder if Nacho got to keep all six kilos.

The letter from Chuck could be crucial, maybe it drives Jimmy over the edge. Or maybe it's just a McGuffin.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'd like to know what Gus does (did) with all his money. He had to have made hundreds of millions of dollars with no known family, yet he lived a pretty modest lifestyle.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Becoming the premiere fried chicken restaurant in the greater Albuquerque metro area doesn’t come cheap!
Black Lives Matter
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

McNutt wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:10 pm I feel like I'm Chuck getting pissed because people like his low life brother.
We have already established that you are Chuck. :)
Spoiler:
Trent Steel wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:17 pm
McNutt wrote:Mike - Dirty cop. Freelance Heavy for any criminal with cash. Willing to be a hitman as long as the plan is solid. And I'm talking about Better Call Saul Mike. He's doing that now.

I don't care if he's sweet ole grandpa, he's a bad guy.
You are Chuck. :)
18-1™ & 2-0
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Trent Steel wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:58 pm F Chuck.
Charles McGill wrote:I don't want to hurt your feelings, but the truth is, you've NEVER mattered all that much to me.
Emphasis mine.

Those were the last words Chuck ever spoke to his brother, Jimmy. "Never" being a key word in the phrase as this means it goes back to their early childhood. For as much of a shitbag that Jimmy is, he always looked up to his brother and even in the end came to Chuck in a conciliatory manner. Chuck killing himself was the coward's way out as he lost to Howard and lost to Jimmy and used his last action to both end his misery and (try to) hurt Jimmy for the rest of his life. However, we are seeing that Jimmy is not falling for the trap. Everything from, "that's a cross you'll have to bear" towards Howard, to not going to the meeting about Chuck's estate, to immediately going out on job interviews instead of mourning, are all calculated actions by Jimmy to not let Chuck have his way.

Jimmy isn't looking to hurt Howard, or anyone else, intentionally. He doesn't give a shit about Howard. He is doing whatever it takes to not let Chuck dictate his feelings and if other people get in the way of that, it's all collateral damage. Getting closer and closer to Saul Goodman.
Nailed it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:44 am
Trent Steel wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:58 pm F Chuck.
Emphasis mine.

Nailed it.
+1. And I really hope we find out what's in Chuck's suicide note to Jimmy. Plus, the scene where Jimmy decides he doesn't want to sell photocopiers was fantastic.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well Chuck's letter was a letdown. And Kim appears to be in over her head on the bank acquisitions.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:03 am Well Chuck's letter was a letdown. And Kim appears to be in over her head on the bank acquisitions.
I have a feeling that what Jimmy was reading wasn't what was written.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

stimpy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:04 am
Jaymann wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:03 am Well Chuck's letter was a letdown. And Kim appears to be in over her head on the bank acquisitions.
I have a feeling that what Jimmy was reading wasn't what was written.
This, or the fact that it was undated has significance. Or it could just be meaningless platitudes that Chuck wanted to state on paper as he probably assumed Jimmy would try to use the letter to his advantage somehow and didn't want to give him any ammunition.

Also, Gale! :)
18-1™ & 2-0
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bam! They bring the hammer down to Chinatown.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Spoiler:
Literally punching a hole through the Constitution
...was a nice touch. :)
18-1™ & 2-0
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What a great episode! As usual Mike steals the show. But they actually managed to wrap things up very nicely.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jimmy's soliloquy to the shoplifter girl summed up his relationship with Chuck (and the world) perfectly, and set the stage for his hearing. The shock on Kim's face when he came clean to her afterward was also perfect. And we have finally reached the birth of Saul. Great episode!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wanna see Mike go medieval on Lalo next season.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 am I wanna see Mike go medieval on Lalo next season.
I don't remember him from the original series, so...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Such a good show. So sad the season's over, but next year should be amazing. A Saul is born.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:58 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 am I wanna see Mike go medieval on Lalo next season.
Jimmy mentioned his name when Walt and Jessie dragged him out to the desert - he yells something about Ignacio and Lalo.

EDIT - found the quote

Episode 8 of Season 2, called "Better Call Saul." Jess and Walt abduct Saul and the lawyer is worried that this is the end for him. "No, it wasn't me. It was Ignacio. He's the one," Saul pleads before switching over to Spanish. When Jesse orders him to speak in English, Saul asks, "Lalo didn't send you?" And when Jesse says no, an extremely relieved Saul replied, "Oh, thank god."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Speaking of "A Saul is Born", I thought it was slightly weird that at the end, he calls Kim "man". But it wasn't until later that it clicked with me. Maybe he actually told her the name "Saul Goodman" as he was walking away (I could have just misheard, since I watch late at night with the volume a little too low for 100% comprehension), but *I* heard "It's all good, man!"

Tricksy Vince Gilligansses!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think they've hinted before that Saul gets his name from the phrase "It's all good, man".

I'm a bit surprised that the season ended with Saul and Kim still (ostensibly) together, but clearly it's going to be over soon with how this episode ended.

Also, was the the first time we've seen Mike kill someone?
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:12 pm I think they've hinted before that Saul gets his name from the phrase "It's all good, man".

I'm a bit surprised that the season ended with Saul and Kim still (ostensibly) together, but clearly it's going to be over soon with how this episode ended.

Spoiler:
Nope, remember his son's killers?
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:12 pm I think they've hinted before that Saul gets his name from the phrase "It's all good, man".
I think there was an early season flashback to Jim in his "slippin' Jimmy" days where he tells someone "s'all good, man" and anyone watching went "ah hah!"

Haven't watched the finale yet but this has been another great season. I love that they even gave Hector's bell its own evil backstory.

This season, especially the last few episodes has revealed a problem with the show in my opinion. There are too many damn good characters and plot lines going on for one show! I'll be enjoying some Jimmy scenes and then anticipate more Mike or Gus and then wonder when they're getting back to Nacho, or Howard.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Yes, he says "It's all good, man" to Kim right after asking for the paperwork to change his lawyer name from McGill. It was mean to be an obvious reference to his new practicing identity going into next season.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Spoiler:
Nope, remember his son's killers?
Vaguely. Perhaps I should narrow the question: is this the first time in either BCS or Breaking Bad that we've seen Mike kill someone as part of his job?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Exodor wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:44 am
Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:58 am
Jimmy mentioned his name when Walt and Jessie dragged him out to the desert - he yells something about Ignacio and Lalo.

EDIT - found the quote

Episode 8 of Season 2, called "Better Call Saul." Jess and Walt abduct Saul and the lawyer is worried that this is the end for him. "No, it wasn't me. It was Ignacio. He's the one," Saul pleads before switching over to Spanish. When Jesse orders him to speak in English, Saul asks, "Lalo didn't send you?" And when Jesse says no, an extremely relieved Saul replied, "Oh, thank god."
Man, that's a pretty obscure reference. Unfortunately it is unlikely that Mike will be giving him a dirt nap. Hopefully he can still ruin his whole day.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:35 pm Vaguely. Perhaps I should narrow the question: is this the first time in either BCS or Breaking Bad that we've seen Mike kill someone as part of his job?
In Breaking Bad Mike killed several people in some warehouse when they had tied up the employees. There was a cool scene where a bad guy was on the other side of the wall and Mike knew it, held the gun to the wall, looked at the hostage who signaled for him to aim higher, then popped him.