It used to be a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: It is a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Post by Blackhawk »

Swamp Thing reviews are starting to come in, and so far they're all really positive. It premiers a week from today (the 31st.)

It'll be interesting, as I don't know the first thing about the character. I've never read him (save for a very brief appearance in something or other) or seen any of his other appearances.

After that is part two of Young Justice (yay!) in July, and then Star Girl this fall. That one I'm not sure about. It'll be tough to be true to the very old-school character while making a modern show, but they're doing pretty well so far.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:20 pm Swamp Thing reviews are starting to come in, and so far they're all really positive. It premiers a week from today (the 31st.)

It'll be interesting, as I don't know the first thing about the character. I've never read him (save for a very brief appearance in something or other) or seen any of his other appearances.
Get thee to a library! Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing in the 1980s is rightly regarded as a stone-cold classic, and it completely holds up today.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Moore took a third rate monster featured in a horror comic from early 70's DC and turned him into essentially a god with human failings. They really are superb. Although something can be said for Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson (still the best Swamp Thing artist ever, in my opinion) early work. More grounded in horror, but with a superhero/supervillain mythos of its own.

I tried reading some of the newer Swamp Things in the archives, but they just didn't work for me. They were missing the magic of the character. Also, the artwork was horrendously bad.

I was hoping the early rumors about a troubled production would turn out to be false or overblown. I'm really happy that seems to be the case. I cannot wait for this one.

Doom Patrol ended its first season and introduced (albeit briefly) yet another strange character from the comic. It's going to a long wait for season 2, I'll say. DM consistently stretched the boundaries of what a superhero show should be, and in the process has become one of the best shows in the genre ever made.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:I was hoping the early rumors about a troubled production would turn out to be false or overblown. I'm really happy that seems to be the case. I cannot wait for this one.
I have a couple of friends who worked on the show and while they couldn't speak a lot about it, they did hint that early on the production was a shit-show. However, I think they straightened things out because they were very happy right up to the point DC pulled the rug out from under them and shortened the season.

The scuttlebutt is that (despite the official rebuttal), Disney Plus is what killed it, as we thought. Shareholders got real nervous with Disney Plus undercutting them in price, and started slashing costs. Swamp Thing was the first casualty.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just finished the Legends finale.
Spoiler:
WTF are they thinking this season? We've gone from a fun show about time-traveling superheroes to a show with neither. We had a season with fairy tale monsters talking about their feelings, leading to a show-down with the villain that is resolved with... a sing-along? And they gave up a character that had the potential to be cool (it was Isis, after all), but they never, ever used her for anything worthwhile. Constantine was a fantastic show, but here? They've completely wasted the character. I'm still watching, as I see these shows as a set, but I was really, really disappointed in this season. And I didn't think it could be any worse than last season's defeating of an arch-demon with a stuffed animal.

Super-heroes. Time travel. And trim the damned cast a little! They grow it every season. The walk-off at the end almost needed a wide angle lens.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:06 am I just finished the Legends finale.
Spoiler:
WTF are they thinking this season? We've gone from a fun show about time-traveling superheroes to a show with neither. We had a season with fairy tale monsters talking about their feelings, leading to a show-down with the villain that is resolved with... a sing-along? And they gave up a character that had the potential to be cool (it was Isis, after all), but they never, ever used her for anything worthwhile. Constantine was a fantastic show, but here? They've completely wasted the character. I'm still watching, as I see these shows as a set, but I was really, really disappointed in this season. And I didn't think it could be any worse than last season's defeating of an arch-demon with a stuffed animal.

Super-heroes. Time travel. And trim the damned cast a little! They grow it every season. The walk-off at the end almost needed a wide angle lens.
LMAO thanks for the review. I have almost no standards (Beebo forever!!!) and even I gave up on it this season. Adding Constantine sounded good at first but I really didn't like him on this show. Maybe they should grab Arrow if he becomes available :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Warner Bros has approved Robert Pattinson as the star of The Batman, the trilogy of films that Matt Reeves will direct later this year, Deadline hears.

Pattinson has been considered a frontrunner because the filmmaker liked him, but the studio was torn between him and Nicholas Hoult, and wanted both of the actors on tape because this is such a big decision on a cornerstone Warner Bros DC franchise. Those meetings happened yesterday, I’m told, and the decision was made. Hoult, who starred in Tolkien and is about to reprise in the latest X-Men: First Class film Dark Phoenix, was impressive, but Pattinson will be the guy and negotiations will get underway any moment.
Reeves’ film tracks Bruce Wayne in the formative stages of Batman, which is why they needed an actor in his early 30s.

This film will in no way carry on the work that Ben Affleck did as the older Batman in Batman Vs. Superman and Justice League.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I liked the older, more experienced Batman (and I liked Affleck's portrayal - just not the scripts he had.) I just hope we don't have another origin story, and that they keep the fight choreography rather than the barroom brawling of so many Batman films.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:I liked the older, more experienced Batman (and I liked Affleck's portrayal - just not the scripts he had.) I just hope we don't have another origin story, and that they keep the fight choreography rather than the barroom brawling of so many Batman films.
Agreed. I really enjoyed Affleck. Thought he was good as both Wayne and Batman.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Swamp Thing first episode was good. Not Doom Patrol good, but definitely something there. It’s going to take an episode or two more though before I can say for sure if they did the character justice.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’m late to the party, but I just finished Doom Patrol. Fantastic.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I never in a million years thought they’d make a Doom Patrol that embraced the insanity of the Grant Morrison run.

I’m happy to say I was wrong.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I loved it. I went in not know anything more about the book than the names of the characters and the endless arguments about whether X-Men was a Doom Patrol rip-off (probably not, just due to the timing, but we'll never know for sure.) I was really impressed, though. It's to DC what Guardians of the Galaxy was to Marvel, a quirky unknown that they did something amazing with.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:17 am Swamp Thing first episode was good. Not Doom Patrol good, but definitely something there. It’s going to take an episode or two more though before I can say for sure if they did the character justice.
Hopefully they have a memorable season, because word is bouncing around that they're cancelled.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Swamp Thing cancellation is confirmed. The big issue all along, it turns out, was that North Carolina promised them a $40 million tax deal, then reduced it to $12 million after shooting began.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That sucks. Do you ever miss the days when it didn’t seem to us like politics was influencing every part of life?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:(

My brother just sent me an email about this. I got him a subscription for Christmas alongside my own, and he’s been hooked on all their original shows so far (he even liked Teen Titans, go figure). But Swamp Thing has always held a special place in our hearts as it was one of those we collected religiously as kids (alongside Legion of Superheroes).

Ah well, Doom Patrol still exists. In any other world, such an original show would’ve died before production began. With Legion and Preacher ending, it’s one of the few great comic book based shows left.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Blackhawk wrote: The big issue all along, it turns out, was that North Carolina promised them a $40 million tax deal, then reduced it to $12 million after shooting began.
The NC legislature is denying this, so I don't know who to believe. However, the NC legislature is also full of a bunch of corrupt crooks so I know who I'm personally leaning towards believing. Remember that this is the same GOP crew who supported former governor Pat McCrory's complete gutting of the NC film industry.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The original report was something like the relevant department had the money put back, then the legislature saw all that money sitting in their account and decided they didn't need anymore, cutting their budget. The fact that the money was all spoken for, and zero was for actual budgetary needs didn't seem to matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

For what it's worth, Screenrant is now reporting that Warner Bros. blaming the cancellation on NC and accounting errors is erroneous.

To believe WB's claim, you'd have to believe that NC was agreeing to foot the bill to the tune of 40 million, which is ridiculous since the state's grant caps out at 12 million - something all parties would have known and agreed to before shooting began.

I think what you're seeing is Warner Bros. desperately trying to avoid any appearance that the DC Universe streaming service is going down the tubes.

Based on the strong critical response, I'm hoping that SWAMP THING may eventually get picked up by another service, depending on how the rights shake out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sadly, I doubt WB would be willing to let a DC property go anywhere else at this point. It’s dead, Jim.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

3 episodes into Swamp Thing and it's starting to take a downturn. If they were to focus on ST and drop the bulk of the surrounding melodrama and bad medical procedural, it would help. But instead we're getting poorly written characters who could be plugged into almost any other show on TV without missing a beat, and predictable plot lines you can figure out within seconds of their introduction. Doom Patrol has ruined me for shows like this. :(
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

R.I.P. Vertigo.
DC Entertainment has confirmed that as of January 2020, Vertigo—renamed in part for last year’s shakeup as DC Vertigo—will wrap up operations, as will the DC Zoom and DC Ink YA brands. Its current books, including the line of Sandman Universe spinoffs, will either finish up or transition over to the newly updated version of DC’s current Black Label line.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So...wow...I didn’t make the connection until this latest episode of Swamp Thing. But Dan Cassidy is really
Spoiler:
Blue Devil.
I was not expecting that. :shock:

Loved that character when I was a kid.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know. I worry that his character might be the big end-season surprise - that we won't get to see resolved.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

HBO and DC Universe to partner for Doom Patrol season 2
If you, like me, are perpetually in mourning that nobody watches the best superhero show on TV because they have to get a new streaming service to watch it — rejoice. Doom Patrol will soon be available on the recently announced HBO Max — and it’s getting a second season.

Currently available only through the DC Universe’s subscription service, Doom Patrol is based on the surreal comic of the same name, with a cast that includes Timothy Dalton, Alan Tudyk, Brendan Fraser, Diane Guerroro, and Matt Bomer. And though it’s pretty obscure, that didn’t stop it from making our Best TV of 2019 So Far list.

Guerrero and Doom Patrol’s executive producer, Jeremy Carver, announced the partnership and renewal at the DC Universe panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2019. The second season will be produced via a deal with HBO Max, WarnerMedia’s upcoming subscription streaming service. Season 2 episodes will premiere simultaneously on both services.

All 15 episodes of Doom Patrol’s first season will also be available on HBO Max when it debuts in spring 2020.
For those of the Canadian persuasion, the first season of Doom Patrol is on Crave.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, Swamp thing would have had...
Spoiler:
Floronic Man.

Not my favorite. I was hoping they'd use Woodrue to set up Poison Ivy. Oh, well. We'll never know.
Next up, Titans season 2. Looks a lot different. Hopefully they'll make it fun and not so angsty this time.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Surprise this hasn't been mentioned here yet...

Kevin Conroy to play Bruce Wayne in upcoming live-action Crisis on Infinite Earths on the CW.

This makes me so happy...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:23 am Surprise this hasn't been mentioned here yet...

Kevin Conroy to play Bruce Wayne in upcoming live-action Crisis on Infinite Earths on the CW.

No kidding. I was laughing when I read that. It's about time! There have also been suggestions that some Smallville alumni may be making an appearance as their characters, and that there will be some sort of tie to the DCEU.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:20 pm
hentzau wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:23 am Surprise this hasn't been mentioned here yet...

No kidding. I was laughing when I read that. It's about time! There have also been suggestions that some Smallville alumni may be making an appearance as their characters, and that there will be some sort of tie to the DCEU.
Also I don't know if it was already mentioned but they are gonna let Brandon Routh play Superman again. Looks like they are going all out for the fans, I love it!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Krypton cancelled; Lobo has been shelved.
There will be no more Krypton on Syfy. The network has opted not to renew the Superman origin drama series, and the recent Season 2 finale August 14 was a series finale on the NBCUniversal cable network. With the mothership series getting canceled, Syfy also won’t be proceeding with the previously announced Lobo spinoff, which had been in development.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

How soon until we have to change the thread title? :doh:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
:(
Covfefe!
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

They may be gone, but Pennyworth is here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Titans season 2 trailer. Looks better than season 1. It actually looks fun instead of just dark.
Spoiler:
They're teasing Nightwing hard, between Dick in black and blue, the comments, the staff cut in two.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I still have no clue as to how Titans season 1 earned an 80 percent on RottenTomatoes.com. I thought it was pretty much a crap fest from beginning to end. I'll give season 2 a shot though. Hopefully it won't be juvenile and shallow again.
Covfefe!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:11 pm Krypton cancelled; Lobo has been shelved.
There will be no more Krypton on Syfy. The network has opted not to renew the Superman origin drama series, and the recent Season 2 finale August 14 was a series finale on the NBCUniversal cable network. With the mothership series getting canceled, Syfy also won’t be proceeding with the previously announced Lobo spinoff, which had been in development.
well good to know. I have it on DVR, watched Season 1, and was going to watch that next once I finished a different series. Now I won't waste my time.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Saw the season premiere of Titans today. It was... confusing. It was either the finale planned for last season and delayed (the season was cut from 12 to 11 episodes) served whole, or (more likely), they took the season finale from last season, cut it up to shave 15 minutes off, then used that 15 minutes to do a 'soft reboot' and make the series less dark. Time will tell. I do know that the CGI was awful.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For this year's Arrowverse crossover, we'll have a guest Superman:
Spoiler:
Tom Welling of Smallville.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »