It used to be a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Re: It is a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Post by hentzau »

I started watching Justice League vs the Fatal Five last night. Really enjoyed seeing the Bruce Timm style JL with the original voice actors back again.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:02 pm If you dig deeper in, the source article includes
Sources said the reason given to crew for the abrupt end of filming was so Warner Bros. could evaluate the future of its DC Universe streaming platform, on which “Swamp Thing” is scheduled to premiere May 31. That premiere will still go forward.
I've heard that Disney had a big impact on this and other streaming services with their lower price for more content. Hopefully if they drop DC Universe they'll move their shows (Titans, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, plus the back catalog) over to the upcoming Warner streaming service.
I really, really hope they'd move the comic book archive over too. I would have no problem subscribing to their service, even if it cost a few more bucks, if it meant all that and the larger WB catalog.
hentzau wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:24 pm I started watching Justice League vs the Fatal Five last night. Really enjoyed seeing the Bruce Timm style JL with the original voice actors back again.
I'm an old school Legion of Superheroes fanboy, so I'm looking forward to seeing Star Boy and perhaps others from that group. I'm saving it for this Friday night, alongside an anchovy pizza. :wub:

Update: Like Twain, rumors of the service's death may have been unfounded.
SlashFilm has exclusively learned that the potential issues with Swamp Thing‘s production do not reflect the health of the DC Universe service. Reports from various outlets suggested that the future of DC Universe was in doubt amid the early production wrap for its latest original series. However /Film confirmed with sources close to the studio that those two topics are unrelated to each other.

Since DC Universe launched in October, it is outpacing expectations, according to /Film’s sources. The streaming service recently doubled its comic book library in March, while a surprise XBox One launch has also been recently announced. Swamp Thing is not the only original title it has planned down the line through 2020 either, with series like Stargirl and Harley Quinn still set to debut.

However, the DC Universe’s bright future may not extend to Swamp Thing, which has seen some bumps and swerves in production, as shown by reports of the crew’s surprised reaction to the episode-length cut and the now-deleted Instagram comments of cast member Virginia Madsen. However, the “creative reasons” for Swamp Thing’s behind-the-scenes changes may not totally spell doom for the show. We shall see how this show itself fares, but for now, the service on which it is set to debut on May 31 is doing just fine.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I just finished it last night, Hep, and it was awesome. Makes me long for a Timm-driven LSH series. Anxious to know what you think after you watch it.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My willpower broke and I watched it last night. :oops:
Spoiler:
I liked their unique take on Star Boy. It was a real tearjerker at times. Especially at the end. Such a simple change in the character, yet it created so much depth and poignancy.

I'm not sold on the Jessica Cruz Green Lantern character. Why she suddenly becomes more powerful than Kilowog and the other GLs was beyond me. Also, even a MINOR explanation of the significance of her dream in the opening would have helped. I had to go look up her origin to understand what the heck was going on.

Overall though, I liked it. Bats and Supes were fantastic, as was WW. Not sure why they're forcing Miss Martian into the spot usually reserved for the other character they jam down our collective throats, Cyborg. But that was far better than some characters they could have gone with...although I'm still waiting on Ambush Bug to show up, for cryin' out loud.

Including Dawnstar and some of the other lesser known Legion heroes was definitely a nod to the fans.

I also spent about an hour reading through the hefty Legion of Superheroes backlog they released to coincide with the movie. :wub:
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just a heads up that DC Universe has GREATLY expanded their comic selection in the past few days, adding several thousand new issues. I must admit I was a little disappointed with the initial selection when I signed up (even though it was still more than I could possibly read). However, browsing through the newly unlocked stuff, this is much closer to the Marvel Universe-level offering I was hoping for.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ll have to see if they’re adding stuff from the Vertigo line.

I highly recommend the Starman reboot from the mid-90s, by the way. It was superb.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Batwoman has been officially picked up. I love Batwoman in the comics. She's a lot of fun, with a lot of depth. Given that she's a lesbian superhero, though (in the comics, too), I hope they don't go the route of Supergirl and turn every episode into an excuse to beat you over the head with social issues in the most obvious, ham-fisted way. Batwoman needs to feel like a cross between early Arrow and Batman, dark with a deeply conflicted character.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

(Arrow Spoilers Follow)

As the season unwinds for the CW DC shows, I find the only one I am really invested in is Arrow. As mentioned elsewhere, they went with an interesting Flash Forward scenario for the secondary plot (instead of their old flashbacks). I don't remember the exact amount of years but it had to be on the order of 15-20 given the ages of some of the characters. With only one episode left, I don't see how they are planning to reconcile the storylines. It's notable that both Oliver and John are not shown in the future sequences and I don't think they were ever explicit on whether they were dead or not. I am very curious to see if they are going to imply this was just a possible future or an alternate universe, or what. And also whether or not they will address this in the shortened season next year as well as the crossover event. I would be very impressed if they folded everything we saw this season into what happens in Crisis next year. Given all of that, it seems like Oliver is going to die one way or another...
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Just read that Felicity Smoak is leaving at the end of this season of Arrow. Won't be back for the final 10 episode season 8. Not sure of the details but that seems kind of crappy. Unless they're pulling some clone/timeline twist we already know she's alive in the future... wonder how she will leave the show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Doom Patrol has given us Danny the Street, Beard Hunter and carnivorous butt creatures. Now they’ve dug up Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery. I can’t even begin to count the ways I love this show’s complete weirdness. :wub:
He won. Period.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Daveman wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:58 pm Just read that Felicity Smoak is leaving at the end of this season of Arrow. Won't be back for the final 10 episode season 8. Not sure of the details but that seems kind of crappy. Unless they're pulling some clone/timeline twist we already know she's alive in the future... wonder how she will leave the show.
I don't know how it happened but I thought I had watched the full season finale of Arrow, but it turned out I missed the last 10-15 minutes. Luckily I read a few blurbs online, so I went back to watch it. Really well done, sweet, sad and pretty surprising overall. I may have shed a few tears watching it. :ninja: Let's just say if you watched this year's crossover event and have followed any of the rumors for next year, it was a very fitting but bittersweet conclusion. As much a series finale as a season finale.
Spoiler:
After more or less resolving this season's main big bad, Arrow and Felicity go into hiding so she can have the baby since there are still people after them. They have the baby and get a few months (?) of a beautiful retired family life. But unfortunately the Monitor comes back to collect on his debt, he needs Oliver to help him save the multiverse, but no matter how it works out Oliver is going to "die" (at least in this universe). As a reminder, in order to save Supergirl and Flash he had to offer himself up (during Crossworlds). So Monitor takes him away; Oliver asks Felicity to protect the kids no matter what, which is what she does, leading to and throughout this season's flash forward plotline. But now that the future plot is also more or less resolved, and the kids seem well trained enough to be on their own (spinoff anyone?), she says goodbye at Oliver's gravestone (which reads 2019!!) and meets up with the Monitor to presumably go see some version of Oliver. So they may still get their own private happy ending without their kids.

Things are heating up considerably for next year's Crisis, as last night's Flash finale shows him disappearing now in 2019.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Yeaaaaa DC tv watchers

You keep my valuable DC silver age comic collection.... well valuable.

Me, I tried Flash (4 seasons) and Arrow (3 seasons) and just gave up. To much rinse and repeat.

I'm thinking of selling my collection shortly so my daughter can buy a great house. (some deterioration going on with some of the mags).

Keep watching and keep discussing

You're the best.
AKA: Dajjer
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Glad to be of service.

The synopsis for Batwoman is out. Looks like they're keeping some of the interesting elements of the character (like her father), so we'll see. They've also announced that it will feature Luke Fox (son of Lucius Fox of Batman fame.) I'm guessing he'll be her go-to tech guy. It would also suggest that we'll eventually see
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Please don't be another Supergirl. Please don't be another Supergirl. Please don't be another Supergirl.

naednek

Post by naednek »

so, i'm not a comic book guy... is this something from a comic, or is it some director trying to be cute and turn the tables in terms of swapping out the sex of Batman? I don't have a problem with girl superheroes, and a firm believer that woman can do anything men can do, I just don't like changing a story\character to fulfill some objective.

So I guess I'm trying to determine if I should be outrage, or was this always a thing, and I didn't know because I don't follow comics.

I personally thought the trailer looked bad, but mainly because of my preconceived thoughts. Why change batman so drastically?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki
Batwoman (Kate Kane) is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics.
First appearance
(As Kate Kane)52 #7 (August 2006)
(As Batwoman)52 #11 (September 2006)
For the original Batwoman, see Batwoman (Kathy Kane). [1956 -Isg.]
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

naednek wrote:I just don't like changing a story\character to fulfill some objective.
I don’t understand this thinking, especially for a character like Batman. They’ve been telling Batman stories for 80 years, and will continue to do so. What’s the harm in making a change somewhere and seeing how that changes the characters and the stories they can tell? At worst, you hate it and go back to the decades of traditional stories. But maybe they come up with a really cool character and can tell some really great story.

I don’t really care about this particular show. I’m not going to watch it. I just get bothered by that mindset, which is relatively common.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Batman\Superman, is iconic. Are they doing it because the word man at the end? Are they trying to even the playing field (which I'm all for) I just don't think you need change the iconic character(s) to do so. Yes there's been many alterations to Batman and superman, but the core was always the same. Shows like Smallville and Gotham explored that. But the key iconic concepts generally stayed the same.

Up until ISG's link I had no idea of who she was and what her story is. So I guess my initial concerns are unfounded, and that's ok. I wanted to know more info before getting worked up, and figured this would be a good place to learn. Thanks for posting that, as I didn't even think to look it up.

I'm not too interested in the show, and while I enjoyed Gotham, it took too long to move forward. The last season finally had some momentum and unfortunately it was too late as it was cancelled.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Batman. A couple of Batwomans (Batwomen?) Lots of Batgirls (one will be in the Birds of Prey film - Cassandra Cain.) Adam West Batman vs. Frank Miller Batman. Original Batman was more like The Shadow, complete with a revolver and casual execution of criminals. Batman has been Bruce Wayne. Batman has also been Dick Grayson. And Azrael. And Jim Gordon. And Alfred Pennyworth. And Damian Wayne. Thomas Wayne in an alternate universe. Terry McGinnis.

They've never been afraid to mess with Batman.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and people are also raging because they have her being gay in the show.

It's kind of funny, given that she's gay in the comics, too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Speaking of Batman, word is that Robert Pattinson has been offered the role in The Batman and is in talks to finalize the deal.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Blackhawk wrote:Speaking of Batman, word is that Robert Pattinson has been offered the role in The Batman and is in talks to finalize the deal.
Did I time travel? Is it April 1st again?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I never thought Christian Bale could do it either. Pattinson has been building up a lot of serious street cred in indie films the last decade or so. He’s capable of a whole hell of a lot more than the twilight films showed.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri May 17, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If Michael Keaton can be Batman, I'm not crossing anyone off the list.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm not feeling Robert Pattinson AT ALL but he'll probably be better than Ben Affleck. Bale was fine except for his stupid voice.

Keaton has, and always will be, the best Batman.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But if you look back to the announcement that Keaton was putting on the black cape, did you honestly think it was a good idea at the time? I know most folks were in a "WTF" state when it was announced. It was only after it was released that people came around...or at least grudgingly understood the choice.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

No, I thought Keaton's casting was absurd even at 15.

On the other hand, Keaton had never played an effeminate glittering vampire.

I hope Pattinson knocks it out of the park. But he's going to have to work hard for me to not see him as bad lip reading Edward Cullen.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That's my purse! I don't know you!
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I get your point, ImLawBoy, but you better not be besmirching the good name of Night Shift, one of the best comedies to come out of the 80s.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Are you kidding me? I loved Night Shift. That was some prime late night HBO sleepover viewing material.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My real name is Bill, so "This is Chuck reminding Bill to shut up" got a lot of play for me throughout my life amongst other nerds who loved Night Shift.

He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

rittchard wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:28 pm
Daveman wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:58 pm Just read that Felicity Smoak is leaving at the end of this season of Arrow. Won't be back for the final 10 episode season 8. Not sure of the details but that seems kind of crappy. Unless they're pulling some clone/timeline twist we already know she's alive in the future... wonder how she will leave the show.
I don't know how it happened but I thought I had watched the full season finale of Arrow, but it turned out I missed the last 10-15 minutes. Luckily I read a few blurbs online, so I went back to watch it. Really well done, sweet, sad and pretty surprising overall. I may have shed a few tears watching it. :ninja: Let's just say if you watched this year's crossover event and have followed any of the rumors for next year, it was a very fitting but bittersweet conclusion. As much a series finale as a season finale.
Spoiler:
After more or less resolving this season's main big bad, Arrow and Felicity go into hiding so she can have the baby since there are still people after them. They have the baby and get a few months (?) of a beautiful retired family life. But unfortunately the Monitor comes back to collect on his debt, he needs Oliver to help him save the multiverse, but no matter how it works out Oliver is going to "die" (at least in this universe). As a reminder, in order to save Supergirl and Flash he had to offer himself up (during Crossworlds). So Monitor takes him away; Oliver asks Felicity to protect the kids no matter what, which is what she does, leading to and throughout this season's flash forward plotline. But now that the future plot is also more or less resolved, and the kids seem well trained enough to be on their own (spinoff anyone?), she says goodbye at Oliver's gravestone (which reads 2019!!) and meets up with the Monitor to presumably go see some version of Oliver. So they may still get their own private happy ending without their kids.

Things are heating up considerably for next year's Crisis, as last night's Flash finale shows him disappearing now in 2019.
Ack! No fair putting Flash spoilers in a spoilered Arrow post!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Sorry Blackhawk! I tend to blend the three "main" DC shows together these days. The following spoiler will be specific to last night's season finale of Supergirl but may include spoiler-ish conjecture about the other series:
Spoiler:
I like how they've upped the ante on promoting next season's event so soon, and across all 3 series finales. Not sure if Legends is going to do it too but I kind of gave up on them.

The main ep wrapped up this season's multiple plotlines fairly well, but dangled some nice threads for next season. Since the season was kind of a dud, really that was more interesting than anything else. I don't know the Crisis storyline well, but I thought I read Brainiac was one of the main bad guys, and they did a nice job teasing that. It also looks like Lex and possibly Lena Luthor will both be villains next season. Lena's motivation (waah waah Supergirl kept her secret identity a secret) is a bit hard to swallow, though, so I hope they handle any transition to evil better than other shows have, or just leave her as a good guy as I like her fine as part of the gang. On a side note, why wasn't Alex pissed off that she had erased her memories? Oh well.

OK now some Crisis talk. Here's all I recall that we've seen across the series:
Spoiler:
Leviathan is teased on Supergirl, but it's unclear if that's part of the Crisis or the main season plot for Supergirl. AFAIK Leviathan is a comic book event happening this summer so perhaps there's some sort of tie in. Wikipedia also mentions it being related to The League of Assassins so who knows.

The Monitor appears in Supergirl and seems kind of evil, introducing Martian Manhunter's brother, who from what I've read is known as Malefic. He also grabbed "dead" Lex Luthor.

On Arrow, he takes Oliver to supposedly save the universe or something. He seems like a different character so I have no clue if there are alternate universe Monitors or if the actor just does whatever he feels like.

On Flash, the Monitor doesn't appear but Reverse Flash makes a snide "crisis" comment so presumably he will be involved as well.

So we've got a nice collection of villains: Lex Luthor, Malefic, and Reverse Flash, with possible add-ons of Brainiac, Lena and whatever Leviathan is. On the good guy side we have the hero with the least amount of superpowers... Hawkeye, I mean Oliver.

Looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

rittchard wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:27 pm Sorry Blackhawk! I tend to blend the three "main" DC shows together these days. The following spoiler will be specific to last night's season finale of Supergirl but may include spoiler-ish conjecture about the other series:
Spoiler:
On a side note, why wasn't Alex pissed off that she had erased her memories? Oh well.
Spoiler:
She wasn't pissed off because IIRC, she was part of the original discussion to have her mind wiped.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Punisher wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:48 pm
rittchard wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:27 pm Sorry Blackhawk! I tend to blend the three "main" DC shows together these days. The following spoiler will be specific to last night's season finale of Supergirl but may include spoiler-ish conjecture about the other series:
Spoiler:
On a side note, why wasn't Alex pissed off that she had erased her memories? Oh well.
Spoiler:
She wasn't pissed off because IIRC, she was part of the original discussion to have her mind wiped.
Ohhhhh OK thanks, that makes sense then! I have to admit I didn't pay much attention this season.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Don't know if this needs it's own thread, or if it's okay here.

Doom Patrol, DC. Alan Tudyk? Brendan Fraser?

NSFW, language, brief nudity.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you go back just one page, you'll see that I've been extolling the virtues of what may be one of the best superhero tv shows of all time for a while now. :wink:
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:00 pm If you go back just one page, you'll see that I've been extolling the virtues of what may be one of the best superhero tv shows of all time for a while now. :wink:
Well, then DC is doing a piss-poor job of promoting their shows if they're only just releasing the pilot episode to YouTube 5 days ago. I thought I was being current. :hawk:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They have their own subscription based streaming service, so why would they simultaneously release their shows on another one? I'm guessing that because this one is so critically well received that they've decided to give a taste to others as a marketing ploy, seeing as how its first season ends this Friday.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Paingod wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:02 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:00 pm If you go back just one page, you'll see that I've been extolling the virtues of what may be one of the best superhero tv shows of all time for a while now. :wink:
Well, then DC is doing a piss-poor job of promoting their shows if they're only just releasing the pilot episode to YouTube 5 days ago. I thought I was being current. :hawk:
To be fair, hepcat never offered up the full pilot episode so I find your post superior.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us