[Film] Doctor Strange

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] Doctor Strange

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
Benedict Cumberbatch is in final talks to play the doctor-turned-sorcerer-supreme in the newest superhero film from Marvel that Scott Derrickson will direct, sources tell Variety.

The film has not yet been officially dated, but Marvel is said to be eyeing a 2016 release. Cumberbatch’s role could be made official at a Marvel Studios presentation to media and fans at Disney’s El Capitan Theater.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Re: [Film] Doctor Strange

Post by Grifman »

Great choice! Never was a Dr. Strange fan but he could make it interesting to me.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been a Strange fan since I was a kid. To me he's the most powerful hero there is.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
nasai

Post by nasai »

^This. Cumberbatch FTW. Please!
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Boo. No. :cry:

I wanted Joaquin Phoenix.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Cumberbatch is an amazing actor, but does he have to be in bloody everything? Maybe I'm just still sore over his mockery of Khan.... Not that he wasn't awesome as Khan. But... you don't recast Khan, or retell Wrath. It's almost like literally remaking Star Wars.

Thank goodness it's not Depp, I guess?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I hear Strange isn't going to be an origin story, which is kind of cool. It also kind of sucks, because I don't know much about Doctor Strange and would like to know his backstory in cinematic form.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sudy Nym wrote:I hear Strange isn't going to be an origin story, which is kind of cool. It also kind of sucks, because I don't know much about Doctor Strange and would like to know his backstory in cinematic form.
Oh, don't worry.
:wink:

Post by Default »

IN!
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Maybe he'll experience the Helen Hunt syndrome and disappear after overexposure.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Sudy Nym wrote:Boo. No. :cry:

I wanted Joaquin Phoenix.
Why? Is Dr. Strange known for wooden line readings? :P
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm more psyched for this than any Marvel film in ages. I'm a big Dr. Strange fan. That they cast one hell of a great actor in the role doesn't hurt either.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I hope he has to battle magical pengwings.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And it's official, the great Mads Mikkelsen will be playing the big bad in Dr. Strange.

That's one hell of a strong cast.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://youtu.be/5NVcfW5sHSU?t=180

MST3K really need to get a hold of these pilots and release them for the whole world to enjoy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Iron Man and Captain America tv movie pilots from the same era are also hilariously bad.
He won. Period.
DD*

Post by DD* »

hepcat wrote:And it's official, the great Mads Mikkelsen will be playing the big bad in Dr. Strange.

That's one hell of a strong cast.
Sounds like Baron Mordo to me!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

First trailer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote:First trailer.
It was great, but I was kind of hoping that Dr. Strange would team up with Bat Mite.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

HOLY CRAP, it's like you looked directly into my mind!

I got a fever...and the only cure...is more Bat Mite!
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:HOLY CRAP, it's like you looked directly into my mind!

I got a fever...and the only cure...is more Bat Mite!
I think it's safe to say that there is a huge popular movement for more Bat Mite.

And you'd think it would be pretty easy to work him into a movie where the character moves between different realities and whatnot, right?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think the best you can hope for is a spin-off Disney cartoon series.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Dr. Strange has always been my favorite comic since I was a kid. I am so pumped for this. I'm glad they're doing his origin story right and the new trailer looks as good as I hoped it would be. "Teach me" indeed. Marvel is on a total roll right now with Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in the works as well.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I didn't see the trailer in you link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwcSki7r9cQ

Cumberbatch American sounds like Dr House, which I suppose is appropriate.

Edit, NM. I see it.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I knew my wife would want to see Cumberbatch + Magic. Then they added Swinton as the Ancient One. I knew we're going on opening night once I saw the trailer.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So, it looks really good. But... I thought this wasn't going to be an origin story. :? From the trailer, it would only appear to be more of one if it included Man of Steel-esque flashbacks to his childhood.

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Kevin Feige said that the MCU was done with origin stories, but from everything I've seen Doctor Strange is still going to be an origin story.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't see how they could possibly avoid an origin story for relatively obscure characters like this.
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I've heard Feige has backed down from his "no origins" comment lately. After claiming he never said "no more origins" he mentioned that Strange's origin is so unique that they had to tell it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is going to be insanely good. Any other opinion is inaccurate and irrelevant. :P
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

The Incredible Hulk had sort of an origin montage at the beginning. It was only a few minutes before it was a Hulk story. I'd think anything up to a half hour on the origin could still be a Dr. Strange story. Honestly, I'm not sure that the journey from apprentice to Sorcerer Supreme would be that interesting. As long as they show the emotional journey from egotistic surgeon to selfless hero, I'll be satisfied. Then let him battle all comers from various dimensions at full strength.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I never read comics, so I need the origin stories to know what the hell is going on.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He's a magic man. :)

He could straight up kick Superman's ass......and probably most anyone else anywhere.

Still waiting on my ROM Space Knight here Hollywood. You listened and got my other picks.

If you cant do that then Micronauts is my alt pick.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

hepcat wrote:I don't see how they could possibly avoid an origin story for relatively obscure characters like this.
Says the champion of Batmite.

I wouldnt call Dr Strange obscure, although he is a "B" lister for Marvel. According to IGN he is ranked 33 out of all of Marvels heroes, in popularity and they have already made one Dr Strange movie prior to this one. Dr Strange was actually my 2nd favorite comic book series right behind The X-Men, so I am looking forward to this movie, especially with Cumberbatch in the role.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

rshetts2 wrote:Says the champion of Batmite.
I think you mean Bat Manuel.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You're both right. I loves me my Bat Mite AND my BatManuel.
rshetts2 wrote: I wouldnt call Dr Strange obscure
"Relatively obscure" was my wording. And I still believe that. :wink:

His origin is nowhere near as well known as the other big characters.
rshetts2 wrote: and they have already made one Dr Strange movie prior to this one.
I could probably count on one hand the number of people alive who even know about that failed tv pilot from almost 4 decades ago. I would hardly cite that as proof that Dr. Strange doesn't need to have his backstory told. If anything, the butchered origin story they gave him in that piece of cinematic history screams out for fixin'. :lol:
He won. Period.
Zarathud

[Film] Doctor Strange

Post by Zarathud »

Doctor Strange's origin is INTERESTING in a way that most other stories are not. The inner journey and redemption of a morally contemptible doctor who actually knows nothing should be compelling.

You need something relatable for the audience before you get into weird visual effects and the cheesy occult.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote:I knew my wife would want to see Cumberbatch + Magic. Then they added Swinton as the Ancient One. I knew we're going on opening night once I saw the trailer.
Lawbeef, seppe, archinerd and I are going to sit behind you both and constantly whine about even the slightest deviation from the comics.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I should probably watch Doctor Mordrid before I see Doctor Strange.

Apparently, Full Moon productions (helmed by the great schlock masters Albert and Charles Band) had the rights to do a Doctor Strange adaptation back in the 80's, but couldn't get it into production before the rights reverted back to Marvel or something. So they just took the script they had, used Microsoft Word's find and replace function and changed all instances of Doctor Strange to Doctor Mordrid. Then they hired B movie stalwart Jeffrey Combs to don a very similar looking set of robes to play the hero.

How can this be anything but fantastic? :wink:
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:
Zarathud wrote:I knew my wife would want to see Cumberbatch + Magic. Then they added Swinton as the Ancient One. I knew we're going on opening night once I saw the trailer.
Lawbeef, seppe, archinerd and I are going to sit behind you both and constantly whine about even the slightest deviation from the comics.
Ooh! Can I come too?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire