[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Blackhawk »

The school district just sent out guidance on when to keep your kids home after 'self-screening.'

They divided up symptoms into 'must stay home' and 'might have to stay home', then listed half a dozen symptoms under both.

Also, we're to send our kids to school if they have a mild cough but no fever.

And remember, masks aren't needed in class.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think our schools are being unsafe. They dont require masks at all. It should be a forced thing. Telling people they should wear one but its up to them is like telling a smoker maybe they shouldn't smoke or a drunk perhaps they should not drink this week.

Then they have gone back on their temp taking. They were supposed to take the temps of all workers and students as they entered each day. But they wont be doing that because according to them some one could get sick. Better to let the sick in unknowingly and making many more sick.

This COVID has 100% taught me there are grown ups but not adults filling this country and schools are pretty damn stupid. I have no faith in the country and its people any longer. When I was a kid I really thought humans were better than this. I was mistaken. Higher education my ass.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is Ill see your Ferris and raise you a Cheech & Chong

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

40-50 years ago I liked Cheech and Chong.
I've changed since then.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:46 pmI think our schools are being unsafe. They dont require masks at all.
To be fair, expecting kids to wear masks is insanity at it's finest. Even in places where they require them 100%, it meant teachers spent half their day telling kids to put their masks back on. It was nearly pointless.

The US Education system is yet another shining example of COVID-19 exposing the underlying problems in America and making them fatal. Schools are often overcrowded and underfunded. Neither works in a pandemic.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Masks will be required when our schools re-open. I wouldn't send my son back otherwise (they'll be on a hybrid schedule with some days remote, some days in-person with smaller, socially distanced class sizes).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If anything, this past few months has taught us that lumping five-year-olds and 17-year-olds together under the term 'kids' is something that needs to be reconsidered.

I've seen school districts use the fact that it's hard to get 'kids' to comply as an excuse for lax policies throughout the district. Junior- and High schoolers are perfectly capable of following a rule like this.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

FWIW, my 6-year olds do a remarkably good job of keeping their masks on. They're not wearing them all the time, but they did fine with them for a lengthy visit to the doctor's office and they actually seem to like wearing them on walks (I think they like the cool patterns they have). That's not saying they'd do great with a full school day, but they've done a nice job of adapting so far.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:46 amMasks will be required when our schools re-open. I wouldn't send my son back otherwise (they'll be on a hybrid schedule with some days remote, some days in-person with smaller, socially distanced class sizes).
To be clear, I absolutely advocate for kids wearing masks at schools. I just don't see the kids doing it anywhere near even 70% compliance.
Black Lives Matter

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Mask-wearing is pretty well ingrained in my area at this point, so hopefully it won't be too difficult to keep the kids in line.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:09 am If anything, this past few months has taught us that lumping five-year-olds and 17-year-olds together under the term 'kids' is something that needs to be reconsidered.

I've seen school districts use the fact that it's hard to get 'kids' to comply as an excuse for lax policies throughout the district. Junior- and High schoolers are perfectly capable of following a rule like this.
And yet most of those same school districts have no problems enforcing dress code rules and sending girls home on a regular basis for exposed bra straps or other violations. Funny how it's only hard to enforce when it affects safety, not moral sanctimony. :roll:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
RMC

Post by RMC »

MHS wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:34 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:09 am If anything, this past few months has taught us that lumping five-year-olds and 17-year-olds together under the term 'kids' is something that needs to be reconsidered.

And yet most of those same school districts have no problems enforcing dress code rules and sending girls home on a regular basis for exposed bra straps or other violations. Funny how it's only hard to enforce when it affects safety, not moral sanctimony. :roll:
I have three daughters, 16,13, and 11. And maybe they don't push the limit, or my school district(Which I have plenty of issues with), but they have never had any issues with dress code, nor have they told me about anyone being sent home for bra straps and things of that nature. <shrug> Maybe they don't tell me about it, but they know neither my wife nor I would put up with that nonsense, and I know several of the board members, I even work with one of them at the hospital and she has kids in my kids grades as well, and she certainly would not put up with that kind of issue. Not saying it doesn't exist, because assholes are everywhere, but podunk Ohio School in the middle of farm country where you would think it would be, and it is not. And Masks are required for all school activities. School doesn't start until September here, and we shall see how that goes, but masks are required at all the levels I have kids in.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AMC is going to reopen theaters.
Spoiler:
Let me start by expressing my hope that you, your family and friends are all healthy and well.

Today, we are finally nearing an end to a more than five-month closure of AMC Theatres. To that end, we have exciting and comprehensive news to relay. Once again, AMC can welcome you back to the movies, having you enjoy them with our big seats, big sound and big screens.

1. AMC THEATRES ARE REOPENING

We already have opened more than half of our theatres in Europe and the Middle East, safely and without incident, and will open all by August 26. Here in the United States, we will begin opening AMC with more than 100 theatres resuming operations on August 20, and continuing such that about two-thirds of our theatres across the country should be open no later than September 3.  The remaining AMC locations will open after we get further clearance from state and local authorities that it is safe to do so. To check the status of your favorite AMC theatre, go to our website or mobile app beginning mid-morning tomorrow.

2. AMC IS IMPLEMENTING RIGOROUS CLEANING AND SAFETY PROTOCOLS

Consulting with some of the world’s best scientists and experts at The Clorox Company and current and former faculty of Harvard University’s prestigious School of Public Health, we are investing tens of millions of dollars in our extensive AMC Safe & Clean initiatives. We are taking all of these steps, and more, to keep you safe and our theatres clean: 

• Social distancing will be very much in evidence throughout our theatres
• We are significantly limiting seating capacity in our auditoriums giving you added space
• All guests and employees must wear masks
• Hand sanitizers and disinfecting wipes will be widely available throughout theatres
• You can expect continuous extra cleaning and disinfecting of high traffic areas
• Extra time added between showtimes to clean each auditorium before every screening
• Each auditorium and all seats cleaned daily using sophisticated electrostatic sprayers 
• Increased fresh air handling and use of upgraded MERV 13 air filters wherever possible 
• Use of high-tech HEPA vacuums
• Reduced cash handling at box offices and concession stands
• Introduction of online Mobile Ordering of food and beverage to speed you on your way

Nothing is more important to AMC than your safety, and your confidence in us to do what is right. More information can be found on our AMC Safe & Clean page beginning mid-morning tomorrow.

3. NEW MOVIE TITLES ARE HERE AND WE ARE BRINGING BACK SOME GREAT ONES

Disney’s latest installment in the X-Men Cinematic Universe, The New Mutants, debuts August 28, and Warner Brothers’ much awaited Tenet directed by the legendary Christopher Nolan opens on September 3.  And enjoy seeing Russell Crowe in Unhinged starting August 21. More new movies will be released throughout September and the fall.

Also starting August 21, and leading up to Tenet, we are delighted to show a special 10th Anniversary edition of Christopher Nolan’s Inception, which includes a special message from Chris and sneak preview footage of Tenet.

As for library titles, we will be showing all of these beloved movies on the big screens of AMC: Back to the Future, Beauty and the Beast, Black Panther, Bloodshot, Ghostbusters, Goonies, Grease, I Still Believe, Jumanji: The Next Level, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back.

Check our website or mobile app for showtimes, for reservations and for advance ticketing beginning mid-morning tomorrow.

4. VALUABLE OFFERS TO WELCOME YOU BACK

Starting August 21, our bringing back of classic movies will all be priced at only $5 per ticket plus tax. New releases will be at normal current-day pricing.

We also are offering a whole host of $5 food and beverage specials to welcome you back to our theatres.

  5. DOUBLE POINTS AND TIME EXTENSIONS FOR YOU AS AN AMC STUBS MEMBER

All the way from the day we reopen through to October 31, 2020 you will earn double AMC Stubs points for all your eligible AMC purchases.

We recognize that you have been unable to use your AMC Stubs points and rewards that were set to expire while theatres were closed, so they all automatically have been extended through October 31, 2020. This extension includes all birthday rewards as well.

6. A $10 GIFT FOR YOU AS AN A-LIST MEMBER

As a thank you for your loyalty to AMC, we are also awarding each active A-List member with $10 in bonus bucks to use through October 31, 2020. This gift to you has been loaded automatically into your account to be used as you wish on any paid tickets or food and beverages at our theatres over the next two months.

7.  REINSTATE YOUR A-LIST MEMBERSHIP AS YOU CHOOSE WHEN YOU WANT

We always want to do right by you to ensure that you continue to enjoy your A-List membership. So all AMC Stubs A-List memberships were automatically paused as theatre closures went into effect, and we ceased charging your credit card. 

Now, we have created the ability for you to control when your A-List membership is reactivated. You can choose to resume your A-List membership any time between now and December 1, 2020. We will send you an email when your favorite theatre is open and then, and only when you feel ready to return to our theatres, simply visit your account on our mobile app or website to reactivate your membership. Then, you will be able to start making A-List movie reservations immediately. 

On December 1, 2020, all memberships that are still paused will be automatically reactivated. As always, we will communicate with you well in advance of any changes to your membership status, including our reactivating of a paused membership. Of course, you can cancel your membership at any time. 

8. NO A-LIST PRICE INCREASE THROUGH JUNE 1, 2021 AND SOME CHANGES IN TERMS

Just like always, AMC Stubs A-List members can watch up to 3 movies at AMC each week, with all the convenience and ease you have come to expect from AMC.  We will be reopening our theatres with A-List pricing that will remain unchanged, and we hereby are further guaranteeing that there will be no A-List price increase anytime before late spring of 2021. Indeed, there has been only one A-List price change (and that only in just a third of the country) since the program was launched in June of 2018.

To keep A-List affordable, starting on December 1, 2020, AMC Stubs members will no longer earn AMC Stubs points for their monthly or annual membership fees. Of course, you will continue to earn AMC Stubs points for your individually purchased movie admissions tickets, and for paid food and beverage purchases. 

Also starting on December 1, 2020, we will be adjusting our policy of providing advance notice of any A-List program changes from 90-days to 30-days in advance. We are doing so only to give us more flexibility in rapidly changing times. At this time, however, there are no other anticipated program changes in the works.

9. AND FINALLY...

Family after family has had to deal with trauma, sacrifice and loss with this coronavirus spread. And so too, this has been a rough time for many businesses, both big and small, who have had to cope with something not seen in the modern era — a sustained lockdown of just about all of the world’s population. Some companies did not make it through, and I would not be surprised if you read rampant press speculation about AMC. Fortunately, we are navigating this proud 100-year old company through these unprecedented times.  What this means for you is that AMC will be around for a long, long, long time to come.   

We will share more information with you tomorrow, but first wanted to provide a sneak peek. With our theatres now reopening, AMC can proudly look forward to entertaining and amusing you once again. Here’s to our next 100 years of making smiles happen at your local theatre. See you at the movies!
Adam Aron – Signature
Adam Aron
CEO and President
AMC Theatres
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:54 pm AMC is going to reopen theaters.
I hadn't been to an AMC in years. They got old while other theatres were getting new so my opinion is worth next to nothing. But this pretty much sealed the deal that I won't be finding out if they get better in future.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/amc- ... 234642047/
AMC will not mandate that all guests wear masks, although employees will be required to do so. Nor will AMC perform temperature checks on customers, though it will monitor its employees’ temperatures and have them undergo screenings to check for signs of coronavirus. The situation will be different in states and cities that require residents to wear a mask when they’re in public, but Aron said that AMC was wary of wading into a public health issue that has become politicized.

“We did not want to be drawn into a political controversy,” said Aron. “We thought it might be counterproductive if we forced mask wearing on those people who believe strongly that it is not necessary. We think that the vast majority of AMC guests will be wearing masks. When I go to an AMC feature, I will certainly be wearing a mask and leading by example.”

They didn't stand up for my health because they didn't want to be "political." They're done.
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, this is not a political issue, even if some people want to make it one. Not a big deal for me though, as our only AMC theater is the worst theater in the city so I never go there anyway.
stessier

Post by stessier »

SC reported only ~730 positive tests yesterday - the lowest since early June. People are seeing this as a win (we hit a high of 2200 cases in July). The thing is, we only tested 3600 people (vs a high of 11,000 in July) and the positivity rate was 19.6% (vs. 22% in July). We so need a better testing plan.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

stessier wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:20 am SC reported only ~730 positive tests yesterday - the lowest since early June. People are seeing this as a win (we hit a high of 2200 cases in July). The thing is, we only tested 3600 people (vs a high of 11,000 in July) and the positivity rate was 19.6% (vs. 22% in July). We so need a better testing plan.
I got an email from the president of College of Charleston how they were continuing with their reopening for in person classes in September based on the drop in cases over the last few days. But, as you say, that drop in cases is almost entirely due to a drop in testing since the positivity rate remains very high. It's completely disingenuous to use the low case number counts to make these sorts of decisions.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sounds like AMC is the place to go get infected if you're an anti-masker? Genuine public health and safety issues are never political. It continues to disappoint me when companies think this is a line they need to be sensitive about.

There's really only one theater in the area the wife and I still went to before this all went down, and they served real food and had tables in the viewing area. If they took out half the tables, you'd easily be 6' apart - but I'm still not keen on sharing a space with others for 2 hours without masks because we're all eating and drinking.

We've tip-toed back into trying to support restaurants by doing takeout a couple times now, and I hate to say that our favorite Chinese place may not survive this as their takeout is atrocious. The fried rice tasted/looked like it was two days old and reheated in the microwave. They may be cutting corners to save on costs, but it'll kill them in the long run to serve up shit food right now. I want to help them stay open, but I'm not going to eat garbage to do it.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:36 am
stessier wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:20 am SC reported only ~730 positive tests yesterday - the lowest since early June. People are seeing this as a win (we hit a high of 2200 cases in July). The thing is, we only tested 3600 people (vs a high of 11,000 in July) and the positivity rate was 19.6% (vs. 22% in July). We so need a better testing plan.
I got an email from the president of College of Charleston how they were continuing with their reopening for in person classes in September based on the drop in cases over the last few days. But, as you say, that drop in cases is almost entirely due to a drop in testing since the positivity rate remains very high. It's completely disingenuous to use the low case number counts to make these sorts of decisions.
Yeah, our county schools are using the drop to allow kids to go back 1 day a week in person despite the guidelines calling for full online given the entirety of the metrics. It's very frustrating.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:44 am Sounds like AMC is the place to go get infected if you're an anti-masker?

There's really only one theater in the area the wife and I still went to before this all went down, and they served real food and had tables in the viewing area. If they took out half the tables, you'd easily be 6' apart - but I'm still not keen on sharing a space with others for 2 hours without masks because we're all eating and drinking.
They changed their policy.

From Izzy's quote

2. AMC IS IMPLEMENTING RIGOROUS CLEANING AND SAFETY PROTOCOLS

Consulting with some of the world’s best scientists and experts at The Clorox Company and current and former faculty of Harvard University’s prestigious School of Public Health, we are investing tens of millions of dollars in our extensive AMC Safe & Clean initiatives. We are taking all of these steps, and more, to keep you safe and our theatres clean: 

• Social distancing will be very much in evidence throughout our theatres
• We are significantly limiting seating capacity in our auditoriums giving you added space
• All guests and employees must wear masks

Adam Aron
CEO and President
AMC Theatres
On June 18th his statement was that mask wearing was political
Yesterday his statement is that mask wearing is scientific

Which says to me on June 18th he was making a political statement, yesterday he was making a business decision. His prerogative. And again, he didn't technically lose me. I can't remember the last time I went to an AMC theatre.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

He probably got told by public officials that AMC would not be allowed to open without requiring masks. I don't know if they plan to open in California, but masks are a requirement here.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chicken wings test positive for COVID
A sample of frozen chicken wings imported from Brazil has tested positive for the novel coronavirus in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, authorities said Thursday, the latest in a series of reports of contaminated imported food products.
The coronavirus was detected Wednesday on a surface sample taken from a batch of chicken wings during screening of imported frozen food in Longgang district of Shenzhen, the municipal government said in a statement. Officials did not name the brand.
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

Agree we need a much much much better response. McMaster is a tool. Dr. Bell has her hands tied and a lot of people in this state just dont give a shit. Im a RN on a Covid unit in one of the largest hospital systems in the state. I just got out of the hospital Sunday after a 5 day stay of Covid + nonsense. Thank god for Plasma and Remdesivir. Its ugly out there, we really need to get with the program. Sorry for rambling, my brain fog is still terrible.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

soulbringer wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:41 am Im a RN on a Covid unit
Thank you
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

soulbringer wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:41 am
Agree we need a much much much better response. McMaster is a tool. Dr. Bell has her hands tied and a lot of people in this state just dont give a shit. Im a RN on a Covid unit in one of the largest hospital systems in the state. I just got out of the hospital Sunday after a 5 day stay of Covid + nonsense. Thank god for Plasma and Remdesivir. Its ugly out there, we really need to get with the program. Sorry for rambling, my brain fog is still terrible.
Thank you and I hope you continue to mend, you are unbelievably important in this fight against this virus. I hope you don't have (m)any long term effects!!!! :wub:
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Lorini wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:07 pm
Thank you and I hope you continue to mend, you are unbelievably important in this fight against this virus. I hope you don't have (m)any long term effects!!!! :wub:
I don't believe she was saying she was sick, but rather a Frontline Warrior. And thanks for that!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

More AMC news

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/media/am ... index.html

AMC is reopening its theaters next week with 15-cent tickets
MHS

Post by MHS »

Thank you for everything you're doing and I really hope you get to feeling better soon. :wub:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:37 pmAMC is reopening its theaters next week with 15-cent tickets
If they were paying me $10 per ticket, I wouldn't line up to rub shoulders with random people for 2 hours.
Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Paingod wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:57 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:37 pmAMC is reopening its theaters next week with 15-cent tickets
If they were paying me $10 per ticket, I wouldn't line up to rub shoulders with random people for 2 hours.
At least in California they will have to follow social distancing guidelines to open. They let strangers sit next to each other and they'll be in trouble.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Around here the law wont uphold any law.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:43 pm I live on one county. The kids go to school in another, and we do our shopping in a third. While the schools and stores have both been hit, the county we actually live in has been fairly mild.

In the past week we've gone from 2.x% positive rate to 8.5%. In the past week we've had as many cases as all of June and July combined.
A week later and we're up to 16.5% positivity rates.

And the local school district is also going all in-person with no masks when at least 3' can be maintained. They started Tuesday.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm feeling a bit better about the kids' school year after attending both (virtual) open houses.

My daughter who is starting middle school is going to have a bit of a blend of live teaching and self-paced assignments. However, even the self-paced stuff will be monitored with very clear due dates, teacher check-ins, etc. The teachers made it very clear that self-paced didn't mean "up to you whether you do it or not." They are also offering a lot of office hours outside of instruction time for kids who need extra help.

My son (who I was more worried about due his younger age) is getting virtual instruction split among 5 teachers. This made me feel better as the split workload will make it easier on the teachers and more likely that he'll get better instruction time.

We'll see how it goes, but at least my initial fears of the "one Zoom a week" failure of April/May have been alleviated.

I'm really bummed hearing Blackhawk's school stuff - that is pure insanity.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

40 minute interview of Dr Fauci by Matthew McConaughey on Instagram

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

The heat is making the mask suck. I'm so tired of being hot right now. :doh:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Freyland wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:10 pm
Lorini wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:07 pm
I don't believe she was saying she was sick, but rather a Frontline Warrior. And thanks for that!
He. This isn't smoove we are talking about.

Good to see you back on your feet, soulbringer.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The disposable ones are a lot cooler, which is what I'm wearing now if I have to go out. I'll go back to my cotton one once it cools down.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I had an appointment next week for a routine dental cleaning. I had been expecting that it would be perfect timing COVID-wise, with everything re-opening and virus spread more or less under control by August. Then we had our wave of covidiocy in late July and August has been looking pretty much the same as late March in terms of community spread. On the one hand, the clinic has supposedly implemented procedures to minimize risk, but on the other hand my teeth and gums are in good condition and I'm inclined to go with no-risk rather than low-risk when it comes to nonessential activities, so I've been hemming and hawing all week about whether or not to cancel the appointment.

Then the WHO stepped in to help me make up my mind.

Avoid routine dental visits amid coronavirus uncertainty, WHO says
“WHO guidance recommends in case of community transmission to give priority to urgent or emergency oral cases, to avoid or minimize procedures that may generate aerosol, prioritize a set of clinical interventions that are performed using an instrument and of course to delay routine non-essential oral health care,” Benoit Varenne, a WHO dental officer, told a news briefing.
So I bit the bullet, called to cancel the appointment and set a reminder in my calendar to think about booking a cleaning come March.

I fully expect to experience a psychosomatic toothache within the next 24 hours...
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch