The Data Breach Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: The Data Breach Thread

Post by stessier »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:28 pm Cyberpunk 2077 makers CD Projekt hit by ransomware hack
Enlarge Image

The maker of popular video game Cyberpunk 2077 has been hacked in a ransomware attack.

CD Projekt Red said hackers had accessed its internal network, digitally scrambled some of its data servers and tried to blackmail it.

The perpetrators claim to have stolen source code for several of the firm's games which they said they would leak unless a payment was made.

But the Polish games company said it would not negotiate.

In a statement on Twitter, CD Projekt Red posted a copy of the ransom note which said the hackers had copied code from Cyberpunk 2077, Gwent, and Witcher 3, including an unreleased version of the latter.
Is Gwent a stand alone game? I have to say after initially avoiding it, I've really enjoyed the minigame in Witcher 3. Surprisingly deep strategy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:31 pm Is Gwent a stand alone game? I have to say after initially avoiding it, I've really enjoyed the minigame in Witcher 3. Surprisingly deep strategy.
IIRC Gwent is a 2player variant and Thronebreaker is a campaign. I bought Throne breaker and never finished it.

It was a GOG exclusive when I bought it. I don't think it is any more

https://www.gog.com/game/thronebreaker_ ... cher_tales

https://www.gog.com/game/gwent_the_witcher_card_game
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My CC was compromised. Now I have have redo all of the accounts I have linked to it over the years nearly 20 years ago when someone went through my wallet. And the worst part (for now) is... I... have to use cash for the next two weeks. I don't keep 2 card any more. I've spent maybe $20 in cash over the last year and haven't visit an ATM since autumn 2019.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What card do you have? All my cards send you a new one the next day.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:50 am What card do you have? All my cards send you a new one the next day.
Visa by a top tier mega corp bank.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:29 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:50 am What card do you have? All my cards send you a new one the next day.
As is mine (Citi). They sent me my new cc in a day.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:30 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:29 pm
As is mine (Citi). They sent me my new cc in a day.
Maybe they are setting low expectations but it's definitely coming by mail and not express, so I know the best I will see is Thursday. They say say 7 to 10 business days, aka two weeks.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I got notified by HR that someone had filed an unemployment claim in my name (insurance had asked about it, and fortunately HR had the good sense to confirm that I was still working!). I notified the IL department that processes such things and I'll be filing a police report. The good thing is that this motivated me to finally get off my butt and put a credit freeze on, and it looks like there's no unusual activity on my credit reports.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:08 pm I got notified by HR that someone had filed an unemployment claim in my name (insurance had asked about it, and fortunately HR had the good sense to confirm that I was still working!). I notified the IL department that processes such things and I'll be filing a police report. The good thing is that this motivated me to finally get off my butt and put a credit freeze on, and it looks like there's no unusual activity on my credit reports.
This is a new identity theft adjacent scam that is rapidly expanding across the country. Hurray. My new company has been pulled into two investigations for some of our insurance customers. We're trying to help pinpoint what information pool might have been used to get the information to file the claims.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:57 am My CC was compromised. Now I have have redo all of the accounts I have linked to it over the years nearly 20 years ago when someone went through my wallet. And the worst part (for now) is... I... have to use cash for the next two weeks. I don't keep 2 card any more. I've spent maybe $20 in cash over the last year and haven't visit an ATM since autumn 2019.
A week later no new Credit Card. That's now 6 of the "7-10 business days" aka two weeks. I called today just to check, as the first of my CC autopaid bills rejected today and I need to set expectation or worry about default. They sent the card out Tuesday morning. Once upon a time that meant I'd have it the Wednesday or Thursday. I guess the days of a miraculous postal system are from the before times.

Also in that time my little sister got her CC hacked, someone is trying to breach out company through attacks on insurance provider, mitigation seems to be holding but now vigilance has to increase, because like Dr House all it take is one person lying about what did or did not happen to go from on going mitigation strategy to doing damage contol, and I started getting calls from people claiming to be my natural gas provider trying to re-conciliate payment.

It's wearing me down.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife had to cancel her main card this weekend due to an unexplained Uber charge. Neither of us has gone anywhere or used Uber Eats, and $60 was way more than we pay for takeout anyway (we never get delivery). The weird thing is that there was just that one charge. Thieves usually go nuts when they have a valid number in hand. In fact, the last time she had to cancel a card the thief was ordering Uber Eats twice a day.

When they told her 7-10 business days she made them promise to send it 2nd day air at their expense. It had better arrive tomorrow.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:07 pm main card
I should revisit the idea on maintaining two cards. I had no idea the bank would shut me down for upwards of two weeks in a world people don't use cash any more. Having a 2nd card is twice as much exposure and a ton of maintenance for something I wouldn't use... Until now... So now the question is do I thaw my credit to get another card?
malchior

Post by malchior »

As someone who used the churn, the idea of one credit card is foreign to me. FWIW, having cards on a couple different networks is useful for international travel. Even in Canada, I've run into Visa only places for instance.

As to the mail side, mailing anything official through the USPS is nerve wracking. I did a 401k rollover and my former employer's 401k provider has a 'anti-fraud' procedure to mail the check to the address on file instead of the new custodian. This was about 1.5 months ago when mail was really bad. I had to pony up $25 for the 401k and the 401k roth separately to have them FedEx the checks in 2 plain envelopes about 75 miles. And they still took a week.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Never had a problem with my Visa being accepted anywhere except by Steam and route them through PayPal.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Heads up to anyone in IT - Microsoft just dropped a critical out of band patch for Exchange. This is an attack with the potential for a lot of damage. I expect companies to find out they were exploited by this and haven't realized it yet.

The multiple vulnerabilities addressed by the patch cover Exchange 2013, Exchange 2016, and Exchange 2019. The attacks allow access to protected data and takeover of Exchange servers remotely.
RMC

Post by RMC »

malchior wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:01 am Heads up to anyone in IT - Microsoft just dropped a critical out of band patch for Exchange. This is an attack with the potential for a lot of damage. I expect companies to find out they were exploited by this and haven't realized it yet.

The multiple vulnerabilities addressed by the patch cover Exchange 2013, Exchange 2016, and Exchange 2019. The attacks allow access to protected data and takeover of Exchange servers remotely.
Yeah, noon meeting with M$ today with our Exchange team, and we are getting patches into Test already to test it out.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not to get too P&R but yet another state-sponsored cyber attack...we're getting shellacked here. This is costing people real time and money here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

CISA just expanded guidance to search for Microsoft exchange centered breaches going back to September 01, 2020.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

In 2019, Facebook suffered a hack that exploited a vulnerability connected to phone numbers used on facebook. This weekend, that data was found to be sold via the black market.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... ker-forum/

Fortunately, I checked and they don't have my information:
https://gizmodo.com/how-to-check-if-you ... 1846617849

I'm surprised not more is being talked about via news outlets as it seems like a pretty big deal.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My mortgage holder, Flagstar Bank got breached, including !@#$%^* SS numbers, phone numbers and addresses. Motherf***er! They offered 2 years free credit protection company so I signed up for that.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:29 pm My mortgage holder, Flagstar Bank got breached, including !@#$%^* SS numbers, phone numbers and addresses. Motherf***er! They offered 2 years free credit protection company so I signed up for that.
Keep in mind, credit monitoring services will NOT protect you from identity thieves. So it would be prudent to freeze your credit in addition to using the credit monitoring service you were provided for the reasons Brian Krebs explains below:

Credit Freezes are Free: Let the Ice Age Begin
krebsonsecurity.com wrote:It is now free in every U.S. state to freeze and unfreeze your credit file and that of your dependents, a process that blocks identity thieves and others from looking at private details in your consumer credit history. If you’ve been holding out because you’re not particularly worried about ID theft, here’s another reason to reconsider: The credit bureaus profit from selling copies of your file to others, so freezing your file also lets you deny these dinosaurs a valuable revenue stream.

Enacted in May 2018, the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief and Consumer Protection Act rolls back some of the restrictions placed on banks in the wake of the Great Recession of the last decade. But it also includes a silver lining. Previously, states allowed the bureaus to charge a confusing range of fees for placing, temporarily thawing or lifting a credit freeze. Today, those fees no longer exist.

A security freeze essentially blocks any potential creditors from being able to view or “pull” your credit file, unless you affirmatively unfreeze or thaw your file beforehand. With a freeze in place on your credit file, ID thieves can apply for credit in your name all they want, but they will not succeed in getting new lines of credit in your name because few if any creditors will extend that credit without first being able to gauge how risky it is to loan to you (i.e., view your credit file).

And because each credit inquiry caused by a creditor has the potential to lower your credit score, the freeze also helps protect your score, which is what most lenders use to decide whether to grant you credit when you truly do want it and apply for it.

CREDIT LOCKS AND CREDIT MONITORING
All three big bureaus tout their “credit lock” services as an easier and faster alternative to freezes — mainly because these alternatives aren’t as disruptive to their bottom lines. According to a recent post by CreditKarma.com, consumers can use these services to quickly lock or unlock access to credit inquiries, although some bureaus can take up to 48 hours. In contrast, they can take up to five business days to act on a freeze request, although in my experience the automated freeze process via the bureaus’ freeze sites has been more or less instantaneous (assuming the request actually goes through).

TransUnion and Equifax both offer free credit lock services, while Experian’s is free for 30 days and $19.99 for each additional month. However, TransUnion says those who take advantage of their free lock service agree to receive targeted marketing offers. What’s more, TransUnion also pushes consumers who sign up for its free lock service to subscribe to its “premium” lock services for a monthly fee with a perpetual auto-renewal.

Unsurprisingly, the bureaus’ use of the term credit lock has confused many consumers; this was almost certainly by design. But here’s one basic fact consumers should keep in mind about these lock services: Unlike freezes, locks are not governed by any law, meaning that the credit bureaus can change the terms of these arrangements when and if it suits them to do so.

If you have already signed up for credit monitoring services, placing a freeze on your file should not impact those services. However, it is generally not possible to sign up for new credit monitoring services once a freeze is in place. So if you wish to avail yourself of credit monitoring, it’s best to sign up before placing a freeze.

Many consumers erroneously believe that credit monitoring services will protect them from identity thieves. In truth, despite incessant marketing by the bureaus and others to the contrary, these services do not prevent thieves from using your identity to open new lines of credit, or from damaging your good name for years to come in the process. The most you can hope for is that credit monitoring services will alert you soon after an ID thief does steal your identity.

Credit monitoring services are principally useful in helping consumers recover from identity theft. Doing so often requires dozens of hours writing and mailing letters, and spending time on the phone contacting creditors and credit bureaus to straighten out the mess. In cases where identity theft leads to prosecution for crimes committed in your name by an ID thief, you may incur legal costs as well. Most of these services offer to reimburse you up to a certain amount for out-of-pocket expenses related to those efforts. But a better solution is to prevent thieves from stealing your identity in the first place by placing a freeze.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Thanks! All 3 frozen!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Jaymann wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:58 pm Thanks! All 3 frozen!
Don't stop there; follow the additional steps mentioned in the WHAT ELSE SHOULD YOU DO? section of Krebs' write-up above, too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I did the other steps available, but the annualcreditreport.com gives a 404 error.

Edit: I got to the site via a .gov search.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Jaymann wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:10 pm I did the other steps available, but the annualcreditreport.com gives a 404 error.

Edit: I got to the site via a .gov search.
Splendid. Taking those extra steps along with freezing your credit at the three major credit bureaus provides you with rock solid protection in terms of preventing thieves from stealing and using your identity in the first place (which is clearly preferable to relying on a credit monitoring service that only alerts you after an ID thief has already stolen your identity, and assists with the red-tapery necessary to straighten out the ensuing SNAFU).
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:59 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:57 am My CC was compromised. Now I have have redo all of the accounts I have linked to it over the years nearly 20 years ago when someone went through my wallet. And the worst part (for now) is... I... have to use cash for the next two weeks. I don't keep 2 card any more. I've spent maybe $20 in cash over the last year and haven't visit an ATM since autumn 2019.
A week later no new Credit Card. That's now 6 of the "7-10 business days" aka two weeks. I called today just to check, as the first of my CC autopaid bills rejected today and I need to set expectation or worry about default. They sent the card out Tuesday morning. Once upon a time that meant I'd have it the Wednesday or Thursday. I guess the days of a miraculous postal system are from the before times.

Also in that time my little sister got her CC hacked, someone is trying to breach out company through attacks on insurance provider, mitigation seems to be holding but now vigilance has to increase, because like Dr House all it take is one person lying about what did or did not happen to go from on going mitigation strategy to doing damage contol, and I started getting calls from people claiming to be my natural gas provider trying to re-conciliate payment.

It's wearing me down.
This just happened to me.

I have to say, the app couldn't have made it easier. I think Coop works for this company. The app flagged the charge and asked me to confirm it. When I denied it, it asked two questions about if I physically had the card on me, then cancelled the card and closed the account. It gave me the option to get a new card in 4-7 days for free, but when I clicked on "other options", it offered 1-2 days for free as well. Given this our main card, I went with that option. So someone who was trying to buy 500 worth of electrical contractor stuff in Chicago is very sad. They also sent through a charge labeled "Greg Test" for $0.19. Amusing if the guys name is actually Greg.

The real pain is going to be resetting all the auto pay charges. Hope I don't miss one...
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:03 am The real pain is going to be resetting all the auto pay charges. Hope I don't miss one...
May not be necessary
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:08 am
stessier wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:03 am The real pain is going to be resetting all the auto pay charges. Hope I don't miss one...
May not be necessary
Fascinating - I was just thinking that there should be something similar on the consumer side. Like an app with all your recurring accounts that you can then point to whichever card you want on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks for the link!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

it offered 1-2 days for free as well. Given this our main card, I went with that option.
yeah, I would have as well. :) I'm still fighting for my $100 cash back I was supposed to get when my card was cancelled. I also have play games with auto insurance still as their autobill requires 30 days notice to switch or some craziness.

Good luck on the may not be necessary thing. I guess my CC company (top level bank in nation but not the one coop works for) aren't as sophisticated as everyone else'.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Technically this isn't a data breach (yet), but if you have an nvidia GPU, then you probably want to make sure your drivers are up to date.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... /a_id/5172
NVIDIA has released a software security update for NVIDIA GPU Display Driver. This update addresses issues that may lead to code execution, denial of service, escalation of privileges, and information disclosure.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:33 am Technically this isn't a data breach (yet), but if you have an nvidia GPU, then you probably want to make sure your drivers are up to date.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... /a_id/5172
NVIDIA has released a software security update for NVIDIA GPU Display Driver. This update addresses issues that may lead to code execution, denial of service, escalation of privileges, and information disclosure.
Thanks for the heads up. I like to keep my display drivers up to date, but this is added impetus.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, moi aussi, but in this case "up to date" basically means updated in the last 24 hours or so. The current driver was released yesterday, while the one before that is a couple of weeks old and predates the security bulletin.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. Running updates now. I keep my gaming PC up to date, but sometimes lag behind on the video drivers on non-gaming systems.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was on the phone with an internet service provider and they needed to access my credit report to start service. i went to TransUnion's site and did a 'temporary lift', which the site assured me would start in 15 minutes. however, even half an hour later the lift had still not occurred, and the rep now has to call me tomorrow to finish the account service setup.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Yeah, I have had VERY mixed experiences lifting freezes. One time, I got 2 unfrozen, but the third took multiple tries over the course of a week. In general, having everything frozen is a major PITA, but still much preferred over the alternative.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't had to try yet. I get nervous about the eventual need. It's part of my cord cutting hesitancy. They need to lift my freeze to switch providers.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Formix wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:30 am Yeah, I have had VERY mixed experiences lifting freezes. One time, I got 2 unfrozen, but the third took multiple tries over the course of a week. In general, having everything frozen is a major PITA, but still much preferred over the alternative.
I too have very mixed experiences. One freeze took 2 calls and almost 3 days to lift. Worse the rates were expected to shift away from me. It worked out but I wasn't too thrilled with it. It's still way, way, way better than the alternative which I have lived experience with years ago.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

a cautionary tale:

the lift never actually occurred. i called TransUnion to try to figure this out, and they wanted the PIN. where did i write that down? i can't find it. i am 100% sure i wrote that down, but it's not where i am positive i recorded it. ok, so they asked me a security question on what was my credit limit on the credit card i opened in 1996. ummmmm.

so now i have to send in documentation and a photocopy of my state ID to try to get my account restored. at no time was the question 'why isn't the web portal to lift the credit freeze actually functioning as intended?' actually answered, because no one knew.

EDIT: i just went on the webpage and changed my PIN. no security questions asked at all.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's a pain in the ass. I think it was my Mom who had to deal with TransUnion and through no fault of her own, they had some conflicting information in their database, ie wrong birthdate, and she had to mail some ID to be even able to use the service. Wouldn't let her log in otherwise. When you can't even log in due to conflicting information, that's pretty shoddy.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti