(TV) Fargo

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: (TV) Fargo

Post by hepcat »

So Fargo season 2 has come and gone. I truly believe it should be held up as an example of great TV alongside such shows as Breaking Bad and True Detective (season 1...Good God, season 1 only!). The show had numerous characters, but very few of them felt two dimensional or underused. The cinematography was some of the best I think I've ever seen on television. And the resolution, while it took me a day or two to come to terms with, was just about damn perfect.

What I liked:
Spoiler:
We finally find out why Hanzee went ballistic...in a way. We also find out that he becomes Mr. Tripoli from season 1. That I don't think anyone was expecting. It does seem a bit far fetched. Still, it was an interesting twist nonetheless.

Ed's speech about why he and Peggy would never have worked because she sees everything as fundamentally broken dove tailed perfectly with Betsy slamming Camus' existential suffering. If I had to pick a theme for the entire season, it could probably be found in those two speeches from the finale.

Betsy's future vision of her daughter and her husband still together, alive and happy could have been sappy and cloying. But they made it work.

Finding out that Hank's mysterious collections of symbols in his office were just a way for a grieving man to deal with the loss of his beloved wife was heartbreaking and sweet at the same time. His experience in the war and as a cop has made him believe that folks really do want to live together peacefully, but he feels they just can't find a single language they can all really understand. So by God, he's going to create one for them. But I think at the end, he realized himself that he was just focusing on something other than the pain of his loss.

Mike Milligan's fate is the same as Vic Mackey's, it seems. A man of action doomed to a life of inaction. The showdown between Mike and the last of the Gerhardt lackeys was fantastic.
Bring on season 3!
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Aaannndddd season 3 is starting to kick into gear. It started off slow, but I'm digging the mystery that's evolving. There's actually two stories going on, but I'm not terribly invested in Ewan McGregor's storyline...yet. I'm far more hooked on the murder that the former chief is investigating.

If you liked Legion, you owe it to yourself to watch Fargo. Noah Hawley is just a master at telling a story.
He won. Period.
mori

Post by mori »

It has started out slow. But when they start from scratch each season it is bound to. Not crazy about the modern timeline but I am anxious how this works into the Fargo universe.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Just finished episode 3 and it really is clicking for me now. I wasn't too thrilled with the first episode, just seemed too forced and quirky for the sake of being quirky. I don't know, it just didn't sit right with me. But now, yes I'm ready to enjoy this ride in confidence. Loved the Barton Fink vibe.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm a big fan of Fargo but first I was just annoyed at the stupidity of the characters. Not that I'm some genius in my life but it just grated on me for some reason and was surprisingly hard to watch. Probably something to do with the political climate these days. But the women in this series are pretty smart and I'm into this season now. Noah brings the whole package with the story lines, dialogue, and beautiful camera work. And I'm looking forward to the stupid folks getting what's coming to them. I do get a perverse pleasure seeing Mr. Vargas bully the parking king of Minnesota.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Got around to watching this week's episode of Fargo. Best opening ever! Billy Bob?
Also learned the lead actress is Carrie Coon who acts in The Leftovers too.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly, I'm kind of fading out again. I love the story about the sci fi writer and Hollywood, but I really can't get into the twin brothers storyline. It just isn't grabbing me and I'm not seeing the genius that was season 2 reflected in the characters and cinematography yet. I hope it picks up for me, though. I'm a pretty big fan of Noah Hawley after the first two seasons of Fargo, and the insanely entertaining and thought provoking Legion.
He won. Period.
mori

Post by mori »

I am beginning to lose hope with this season. I do not like any character and the story is not compelling. I dislike Ewan McGregor so having him play two parts is especially grating. Did they get a totally different writing team for this season? None of the brilliance of the previous two seasons is in season 3.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wife and I just started watching this, did the first 2 episodes of season 1. I wanted to show her the original movie first, but the streams all sucked to worthlessness and I'm not inclined to search for my DVD.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

mori wrote: Did they get a totally different writing team for this season? None of the brilliance of the previous two seasons is in season 3.
The relationship between Lowlife Brother and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is so much like that of Fat Damon and Kirsten Dunst that I sometimes think the same writers are writing the same story. All the characters have different names and faces but they're going through more or less the same paces. It feels formulaic.

I liked the last episode's Peter and the Wolf theme, even if it was just being clever for the fun of it. The villain is no Billy Bob, but he's starting to take shape. Gotta agree that it isn't as good as the first two seasons...but it's still good enough to keep me in to the end.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just want the entire season to just suddenly morph into a show about Minsky. That was the best part of the season so far.

"I can help!"
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, I'm back on board. They made some directional changes that I really like. Also
He won. Period.
mori

Post by mori »

I was really wavering on this season and I think I have missed an episode, but I am hanging in there for another week. Not sure about The Big Lewbowskesque bowling alley scene. More than a bit forced and contrived. I think Mary Elizabeth Winstead is the only reason I keep watching. And Mr. Wrench making an appearance has me intrigued.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I was pretty sure that was a Lebowski homage. It was odd, but after pushing through the overly abstract Twin Peaks reboot episodes, it wasn't as off putting to me. I think Ray Wise is season 3's UFO.

Edit: nice overview of Wise's character can be found here.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I want the incredibly gorgeous Winstead and the bad ass Mr. Wrench to get a spin off or be the focus of season 4. That is all.
He won. Period.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I finally got a Hulu subscription and the first show on my docket was Fargo. HOLY MOLY THIS SHOW IS FANTASTIC. I loved every single second of season one, and now I'm six episodes into season 2. It's been more of a slow burn but has picked up dramatically over the past few episodes. Can't wait to see how it ends.

Unfortunately, season 3 is not yet on Hulu. :(
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 2 is my absolute, hands down favorite so far. Everything about it is just amazing. The cinematography, the characters, the acting, the story...it's just a work of art. Pay attention to the framing in the show's shots. At one point they use a split screen for two of the characters...who just happen to be sitting next to each other in the cab of a truck. It shows the distance between two characters who are supposed to be close in a fantastic manner.

Pay attention to that season as well. There's more than a few references/foreshadowing to season 1 and season 3 in it.

Season 3 started off okay, veered off course for a few episodes, then redeemed itself in a great way.
He won. Period.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I had heard critical praise for the show, but really wasn't prepared for how great it is. Maybe being on FX means it has a lower viewership and less online buzz? Because really, this show is Breaking Bad levels good. It should be an unqualified and celebrated hit show.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Justified star Timothy Olyphant is returning to FX with a key role in the upcoming fourth installment of the network’s anthology series Fargo, headlined by Chris Rock.
Olyphant plays a character named Dick “Deafy” Wickware in a major recurring role.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I read the synopsis for the next season and it sounds absolutely brilliant...in an almost Shakespearean manner.
Essentially the locale will serve as the crossroads and collisions of two migrations, Italians coming from Italy and African Americans fleeing the south to escape Jim Crow, both fighting for a piece of the American dream as two controlling crime syndicates. They are at an uneasy peace controlling an alternate economy of exploitation, graft and drugs. To cement their peace, the heads of both families have traded their eldest sons.

Rock’s character in order to prosper has surrendered his oldest boy to his enemy, and who must in turn raise his son’s enemy as his own. Then the head of the Kansas City mafia goes into the hospital for routine surgery and dies. And everything changes.
Fargo is something I never thought would work. I was happily mistaken. Every season so far has been amazing.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah yell yeah, season 4 has started. And parts of it were filmed in my neighborhood in Chicago. Gotta get me some poppin' corn and sit down with Hulu tonight. :wub:
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've only watched the first episode so far, but it's enough to tell that this season will live up to its predecessors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, just finished episode one. Fantastic, as always. Now on to episode two. Oh, and Jessie Buckley is amazing in everything she does.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Buckley's having her moment. She seems to be everywhere all of a sudden. Good for her. Love the Minnesota accent, too.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m loving everything so far...except for the brother from Italy. That actor is playing it TOO over the top. He keeps mugging for the camera and it’s distracting.

But other than that, it’s great. “Hubris is thinking you can control everything. It’s why God created tornadoes.”.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:24 pm I’m loving everything so far...except for the brother from Italy. That actor is playing it TOO over the top. He keeps mugging for the camera and it’s distracting.

But other than that, it’s great. “Hubris is thinking you can control everything. It’s why God created tornadoes.”.
Agree about the brother. It doesn't help that the actor looks more like a stand-up comic than a mobster. His crazy eyes are too often laughing eyes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The decision to film the scenes of snow covered country in black and white was absolutely beautiful in this past episode. Normally I see it as a gimmick, but that’s only because many shows don’t know to film in black and white (in my humble opinion). Fargo though? They did it right. If that gunfight scene at the gas station doesn’t win an Emmy for cinematography, nothing should.

Also, it feels like the Italian brother heard us and toned down the scenery chewing the last two episodes. :D
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah hell yeah part deux, now that’s how you end a season. Also, the huge reveal mid end credits brought it all together. I never saw that coming.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And another Hell Yeah! Season 5 coming November 21st.

Jon Hamm, Juno Temple, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Dave Foley?

I am psyched for this. The trailer alone had me laughing out loud.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YES. Love that show.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I am fully in. I was skeptical when they announced the TV series, but every season has surpassed expectations.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There’s a series of short teasers for season 5 on YouTube that are great.

He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Teasers and trailers feel more like spoilers to me, these days, for whatever reason. I shall not click!

It “feels” like the TV and film industry flipped a switch at some point in recent years, from ‘we don’t want to give too much away and ruin the ultimate experience for our prospective viewer” to “whatever it takes to maximize profit, including diluting our own creative products”.

Pretty specific ‘feelings’, I admit, and it could also be driven by a shift in consumer preferences (aka “I’m old, waa!”) :D

I think the kids these days prefer this new model for whatever reason (probably bc they grew up on a heavy diet of accursed social media with a ‘eyeballs no matter the cost!’ mandate)

Insert grandpa emoji here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn't see anything in any of the teasers or trailers that seem like spoilers. :?

The only time I feel they give away too much is when it's "coming next week" bumpers at the end of a serialized show. When they show the character who was on death's door as a cliffhanger at the end of the episode, but then show him walking around in the trailer for next week's show, that's rather egregious.

But we know nothing of Fargo season 5, so giving us a taste of what the characters might be like is fine by me.

Also, Jon Hamm may be one of the best comic actors we have right now. I just watched him in Good Omens and he stole every scene he was in. Before that I was shocked to see him do an amazingly funny Fletch in Confess, Fletch (which is WAY funnier than it has any right to be), and of course, who can forget his turn on Toast of London.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Anyone know where can stream previous seasons? I've seen the first two, maybe 3

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

naednek wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:44 am Anyone know where can stream previous seasons? I've seen the first two, maybe 3

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
For streaming, it looks like Hulu is your only option:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/fargo

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

First two episodes are up and they’re just want I expected from the franchise: dark humor with a mystery. Juno Temple is definitely one of the better actresses working these days. She’s just great in whatever she does. The rest of the all star cast that I’ve seen so far are also doing a bang up job.

As for the direction and cinematography, it’s the usual painstaking attention to detail we’ve come to expect from Noah Harley. He is just an amazing talent.
Spoiler:
For example: there’s a scene early on in the first episode when “Dot” gets kidnapped where the intruders have finally cornered her after a fierce fight. As they approach her slowly, she fades out. She is just removed from the scene entirely. It’s both figurative and literal at once. Very few tv writers put that much thought into a 3 second scene, for god’s sake.
The only thing I do think Hawley is a little ham fisted with is when it comes to some of his characters.
Spoiler:
I’m on the same side politically as he, I’m guessing. But I do prefer a little less caricature and a little more depth to the characters in a show. It’s just too easy to throw in a gun filled Christmas card scene with a Senator who is just a stand in for the MAGA crowd.

Oh, and the cop’s husband is obviously a man child who’s never grown up. But Hawley just creates a cartoonish portrayal of him instead of putting more meat on his bones. Hopefully though things change in the future episodes and he moves away from that.
But even if the show takes a nosedive later, we’ll always have that air horn scene in the first episode. So dark, so funny. :lol:
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Fantastic so far, I think I only wish I had waited to watch when I could binge. Waiting for X days before the next ep drops is going to kill me, this shit is so good (just like the previous seasons).

My only exposure to Temple was from Ted Lasso, and while she has obvious acting chops, I really came to dislike either her character or the writing for her character, not sure which, after the first season. I think it was the writing, honestly.

She's fantastic in this so far, though. It did take me some time to stop seeing and hearing Keeley though.

97% on RT so far, which seems premature for a season that's not finished, IMO.

I knew they had a rating for each season of a show, but didn't know they even rated episodes WITHIN a season.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dear lord, they took Jennifer Jason Leigh’s character from evil stepmother to goddamn Batman in the space of a half dozen episodes. I want a spin off with her just destroying her enemies. :wub:
Spoiler:
And how damn great is Jon Hamm as the villain? One of the most likable actors on earth is now someone I want to see beaten to a pulp.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This may be the recency effect, but I'm leaning towards this being the best Fargo season of all so far. As you said, Hamm is...perfect. Hell, the entire cast is top notch, even secondary characters. My only MINOR nit if I was forced to pick one is the casting of Dave Foley. I love Dave Foley's body of work, and loved Kids in the Hall, but I'm not sure he was the best fit for this. This whole series has a history of successfully casting B-level actors in maybe unexpected roles, but because the rest of the cast is...cast so damn perfectly, he stands out a bit IMO.