Moliere

Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Post by Moliere »

Warrior
The Intouchables
The TV series Hell on Wheels
Europa Report

What do you recommend?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
noxiousdog

Re: Netflix Instant Watch Recommendations

Post by noxiousdog »

All the TED talks.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Peep Show.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jag

Post by Jag »

Dredd. A low budget remake that is violent and bloody but surprisingly entertaining.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

From your list, I absolutely love both Hell on Wheels and Europa Report. The former is a fantastic western with some great badassery. The latter is a really tense look at space exploration with more science fact than science fiction. It puts back the sense of wonder that a lot of Hollywood sci fi movies replace with pure action.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Agree with Europa and Hell on Wheels (TV).

Just some samples of what I've viewed or rated, which hopefully everyone isn't guaranteed to have seen already. All Netflix U.S. using the Firefox extension Media Hint from Canada:

Excellent
The Way
There Will Be Blood
This Must Be the Place
Arbitrage
Zodiac
MI-5 (TV) (Be warned, these are the trimmed for the U.S. versions, not the uncut U.K. ones. Still great though. It's like 24 with brains. I've heard some of the cuts improve pacing; it was cut primarily for time, not content. Lot of seasons for a BBC series, too.)

Good
Lockout
Jack Reacher
Get The Gringo

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Guess I misunderstood the OP.

The wife loves Hell on Wheels and I liked the first few episodes of Hell on Wheels but just can't commit to a show like that. It's the kind of show that if I watch, I have to pay complete attention to and most of my TV watching is done while doing other things. But I did like what I saw.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere wrote:Warrior
The Intouchables
Europa Report
These are my recommendations. I wanted to create this ongoing thread so people could make their own recommendations.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm waaaaay late to the party, but I've only in the past year been watching the 2004-2009 Battlestar Galactica. It's pretty awesome at an episode every day or three.

(No spoilers, please--I'm about ten shows from the end.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Holman wrote:(No spoilers, please--I'm about ten shows from the end.)
Sweet you're going to be shocked by the part where they all die.

I just finished watching all 88 episodes of Farscape over the past several weeks. I had watched the show pretty often when it was out about a dozen years ago, but there were always shows that I would miss. So it was good to finish it from the beginning. I think it might just be the best long-running science fiction show ever.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote:
The Intouchables
Europa Report
These are my recommendations. I wanted to create this ongoing thread so people could make their own recommendations.
Oh, OK, I did get it!

I'll reiterate Peep Show.

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret was pretty good too.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

cheeba wrote: I just finished watching all 88 episodes of Farscape over the past several weeks. I had watched the show pretty often when it was out about a dozen years ago, but there were always shows that I would miss. So it was good to finish it from the beginning. I think it might just be the best long-running science fiction show ever.
I wouldn't rate it that high, but it's definitely in my top 10 (maybe even top 5) for best sci fi tv.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Not sure if it's on Netflix or not, but I've been re-watching the first season of Heroes on Amazon Prime with my kids. I absolutely loved the first season, and it's been long enough that I've forgotten a ton of stuff about the show. My kids are hooked, but I warned them that we are just watching the first season, because the rest is crap.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Sudy Nym wrote: The Way
This was added to my queue a few days ago. Thanks for the nudge. I finished it this afternoon and found it enjoyable. I'm not sure if I would enjoy a walk with so many other pilgrims going at the same time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The History of Future Folk is a surprisingly sweet, low budget comedy about a pair of aliens that are sent to earth in order to begin colonizing it...but fall in love with music and abandon their mission to form a folk music band.
Covfefe!
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

Robot & Frank
Listen to the Eels
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Holman wrote:I'm waaaaay late to the party, but I've only in the past year been watching the 2004-2009 Battlestar Galactica. It's pretty awesome at an episode every day or three.

Have you watched the Battlestar episode of Portlandia yet?
No sig, must scream, etc.
Holman

Post by Holman »

paulbaxter wrote:
Holman wrote:I'm waaaaay late to the party, but I've only in the past year been watching the 2004-2009 Battlestar Galactica. It's pretty awesome at an episode every day or three.

No! But it sounds great already!

Would it be obvious from an episode list?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Jiro Dreams Of Sushi

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

In The Loop is hysterical. Peter Capaldi is great to watch and James Gandofini is also in it. I would love if Capaldi could channel his character into his Doctor Who persona but I don't think it would make for appropriate prime time viewing. Do a search for "In The Loop Peter Capaldi" and watch some video clips to get a taste of it.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sudy Nym wrote:Jiro Dreams Of Sushi
My wife watched this the other week, and I caught the last half of it. Definitely a great documentary.
Black Lives Matter.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Holman wrote:
paulbaxter wrote:

No! But it sounds great already!

Would it be obvious from an episode list?
First off, you need to just watch all of Portlandia, but if somehow you only feel like you have time for one episode, it's Season 2, episode 2, called One More Episode.
No sig, must scream, etc.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Watched a film last night called +1. I'm not sure if I could heartily recommend it as it has quite a few missteps, but it was a decent enough idea. It starts off like any other rated R teen comedy with a main character who gets dumped after doing something stupid, then he goes on a crusade to win back his girlfriend at a classmate's huge, out of control party that he's throwing while his parent's are out of town, and he has a dorky friend who just wants to score at the party, and a shy girl who is their best friend....

...then a meteor lands in a yard nearby and...well...it goes in an entirely different direction than I expected.

It falls apart under any scrutiny, but I liked what they were trying to do and hope the director/writer keeps going.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

theohall

Post by theohall »

The Intouchables
Europa Report

What do you recommend?
Europa Report got too artsy with the BS ghost hunter camera crap the last 30 minutes. I liked it until then. Even liked the plot and the ending resolution. But the ghost hunter camera crap ruined the science aspect of the movie for me.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy Nym wrote:Jiro Dreams Of Sushi
+1. This was a wonderful film.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Croods.

Animation is spectacular, and they nailed Nick Cage's expressions in his toon.

It's no "Frozen", or equal to most Pixar stuff in terms of story, but there were enough laughs to make it enjoyable IMO. But again, the animation is top notch.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote:The Croods.

Animation is spectacular, and they nailed Nick Cage's expressions in his toon.

It's no "Frozen", or equal to most Pixar stuff in terms of story, but there were enough laughs to make it enjoyable IMO. But again, the animation is top notch.
I think I've said this before, but I really enjoyed the Croods. While the ending was not a surprise, per se, it was surprising to find it so well done. At least imo. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"RELEASE THE BABY!" :D
Angnomander

Post by Angnomander »

Lillyhammer
ska5fe

Post by ska5fe »

Just started re-watching Terriers on Netflix, and it's still so good. Only the good die young.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jack Reacher - not what I was expecting from my dim memory of the preview and very entertaining.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

ska5fe wrote:Just started re-watching Terriers on Netflix, and it's still so good. Only the good die young.
Such a good theme song.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:
ska5fe wrote:Just started re-watching Terriers on Netflix, and it's still so good. Only the good die young.
Such a good theme song.
Robert Duncan - Gunfight Epiphany

He's a Hollywood composer. More of his stuff is under the music tab at his site.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

The Riches. (LTTP)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Haven't seen The Fall mentioned yet. Great serial killer drama starring Gillian Anderson. Only five episodes so it's a quick binge watch.

I'm also slowly working my way through The X-Files - though I've seen many episodes over the years, I've never actually seen ALL the episodes in order.
The Evil Dead

Post by The Evil Dead »

YellowKing wrote:Haven't seen The Fall mentioned yet. Great serial killer drama starring Gillian Anderson. Only five episodes so it's a quick binge watch.
Hmm, saw this as I was catching up on The Killing and held off because the two seemed very similar. Do the resemblances end at both being serial killer dramas starring women? Would be interested if it sets itself apart enough.

Also, "We Steal Secrets." Suck it, "The Fifth Estate." WSS is a great documentary that plays like a great spy thriller. Speaking of great documentaries, "The Act of Killing" is available and I added it to my queue. Anyone seen this one yet?
Listen to the Eels
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The Evil Dead wrote:Hmm, saw this as I was catching up on The Killing and held off because the two seemed very similar. Do the resemblances end at both being serial killer dramas starring women? Would be interested if it sets itself apart enough.
I haven't seen The Killing so I can only go by what I've read about The Killing. Where I think they would diverge is:

1. The Fall is not a mystery - you know did it from the first episode. It's more about the hunt.
2. It's an Irish show, and I know I always tend to enjoy shows from that side of the pond a little more than US shows due to the fact that the limited episodes mean great writing with very little filler.
3. It's got Gillian Anderson, which automatically trumps any other woman in a serial killer show. :D
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just pimped this in the baseball thread but it's a great documentary beyond the baseball.

Boys of Summer.

It's not at all as cheesy as the "scrappy poor kids make the big time" descriptions make it sound.

MYT
ska5fe

Post by ska5fe »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Freezer-TPF- wrote:
Such a good theme song.
Robert Duncan - Gunfight Epiphany

He's a Hollywood composer. More of his stuff is under the music tab at his site.
Yes! I love the theme song so much. One of my favorites.