Books Read 2014

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Books Read 2014

Post by Jeff V »

I'm aware of that, but I hope he updates A History of Warfare, as that book is less about analyzing specific wars or battles and more about theories of war applied to all of human history. I think the wars of the past 20 years do a better job confirming his thesis than, say, the wars of the 20 years leading up to this book.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Seeing as he passed a year and a half ago, I don't think you'll be getting that update.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:Seeing as he passed a year and a half ago, I don't think you'll be getting that update.
Ooops, you are correct. I am still interested in what he would have said, and it's a shame he didn't maintain that book with a later edition.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Berlin 1961 by Frederick Kempe

While not a riveting read this was a very interesting book on the events that led up to the building of the Berlin Wall in 1961. Kempe approaches it from a decidedly German position but his research is pretty extensive.

We learn that Mao had no problems with a nuclear war because the "Chinese" would re-populate faster than other countries. We learn deGaulle and MacMillan were of very little use. We learn that Khrushchev liked to drink and wasn't above getting drunk at large functions and we learn that JFK was heavily into painkillers and women. In fact the information on JFK is truly startling by today's standards and was kept out of the public eye then by the media turning their heads and the Secret Service protecting his "private" affairs.

Kempe relates how Kennedy basically gave East German President Ulbreacht and Khrushchev the out they wanted by agreeing to do nothing should a wall be built. He also stipulates that the Cuban Missile Crises was directly related to Kennedy's actions regarding the Berlin Wall.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette (Bluffer's Guides) (edition 2014)
by William Hanson
:binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Etiquette is often used as comic foil in the movies. The notion that there is strict code of social conduct observed by the cultural elite seems silly to the uncouth masses. Just how did such a thing come to pass? Partly it arose from more dangerous times; in the Middle Ages, hidden daggers were often a danger and some of these routines came about as a way to prove one is harmless. Mostly though, it's years of people having little else to do with their lives but obsess about such details as the color of (or even existence of) a hidden belt.

The Bluffer's Guides are British publications, and tend to focus on to get by in the UK. Much of what Hanson refers to as "American inventions" translate into unforgivable faux pas in British high society, particularly in the presence of Royals (don't call them "Royals.")

This is a very funny book to read, I imagine doubly so for a Brit, but as an uncouth American, I take perverse pride in my wanton violation of much of this book. I suppose this means I won't be invited to tea at Buckingham Palace, but if ever I were, I'd probably bring a six pack of my favorite beer. I don't often mingle with high society, and admittedly would be deemed pretty offensive among them . To follow the tenets of this book would lead me to punch myself. Maybe that's why I spend so little time among them -- courting favor of the platinum spoon set just isn't something I do. Bring them down to my level? You bet. A friend of mine and myself used to regularly attend the opera with the stated goal of making the experience a little less proper for most of those in attendance. This was often done not only via casual dress, but discussion between the acts transposing the opera we were seeing into a version acted out by The Three Stooges.

The Bluffer's Guide to Etiquette is an entertaining look on how the top 0.001% live. If you presume to partake in this rarified air, then there is certainly something to be learned here (to bluff ones way through, anyway...for staying power, take one of those silly classes often mocked in the movies). The author, however, makes an assumption that the reader understands the importance of these societal conventions, and actually apologies to readers who don't have the British royal family to hold in esteem. A chapter as to why some of this should matter to the rest of us might make a nice addition to later editions.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Finished V for Vendetta last night.

Definitely enjoyed it. Feels odd writing kind of a mini-review, given its general status as a classic. But in any event, I'm a sucker for decent dystopian fiction, so this was in my wheel house. I will say that V kind of comes across more as a plot device than a character - he never has any kind of setback, and so everything appears to happen exactly as he plans, no complications or mishaps of any kind. Given that it feels more like V is a meta-narrator surveying a dystopian society more than an actual participant in the world. But like I said I enjoy dystopian fiction so I enjoy it as an exploration of a fictional totalitarian England.

I think it would also benefit from multiple reads as I found it difficult to keep track of who is who among the supporting characters.

Also kind of makes me want to see the movie as I'm curious how they portray V in the movie, given that he's a completely insane psychopath while also being the hero.
Black Lives Matter.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Updated my post with this review.

Fiction

The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins (borrowed from Amazon's Owner's Lending Library)
Despite having been spoiled by the movie (and following, by my wife who had read the books but was prompted to tell me the differences between the two media versions), this was still a quick and enjoyable read. Collins isn't much one for extraneous details or significant character development or dialog. She's got a story in mind and wants to put it on paper. The teeny-bopper love triangle aspect certainly wasn't the draw for me, but the contrived story about the goings on in the arena was plenty enjoyable. For folks who like seeing this sort of thing play out, I recommend youtubing the Mindcrack Ultra Hardcore ("UHC") Minecraft videos. Currently on Season 14, I found many of these to be well worth my time. Of course, I 1) enjoy Minecraft videos, and 2) understand the interpersonal relationship amongst the Mindcrack members. YMMV.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Bluffer's Guide to Chocolate (Bluffer's Guides) (edition 2014) by Neil Davey] :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

While author Neil Davey is quick to dismiss Hershey as "flavored wax", the theme park in Pennsylvania bearing his name does have an interesting attraction where one rides on a tracked car through exhibits showing how chocolate goes from cocoa plant to confection. A museum on the grounds is a fascinating look on the history of chocolate, including the industrialization of the product. So I came into this book with at least a little background on the topic (aside from being a frequent end-user).

Davey gives us a nice background on the "discovery" of chocolate by the Olmec forebears of the Mayans and Aztecs. He tells us how Montezuma possibly met his end for revealing the secret of chocolate to Cortez, who he thought to be the reincarnation of a god. Given the crazy complex process of going from bean to bar, the Aztecs made quite the impression, which spurred research and development in the 18th and 19th centuries, The chocolate manufacturing pioneers such as Lindt are profiled, as well as current artisan chocolate makers and chocolatiers (most English or other European).

In the spirit of the other "Bluffer's Guides". this tasty history lesson comes with a good dose of humor. Davey attempts to be as complete as possible in his confection lecture, but also advises what is most important to remember if you're ever to pontificate with authority on the subject. And with today being Valentine's Day, it's the perfect time for ones brain to be filled with this knowledge. In fact, this morning I had a few chocolates just to see how much the book increased my enjoyment.

Maybe from "!!" to "12"?
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote:Finished:

Red Seas under Red Skies (Locke Lamora #2) - not sure how into this I am. It hasn't grabbed me like the first one yet. - Update after finishing - meh. Middle 3rd of Piracy was ok, but on the whole the caper didn't matter at all to me, and while the rogue-ish charm of Locke and Jean is still there, the parts I liked best about the first (Bondsmage conflict/resolution and Crooked Warden ideal/ideas) were mostly missing. Not sure if I'll read #3. Have to look at reviews and wait for the price to become reasonable.
Bump to add:

The Black Box - Michael Connelly's latest Harry Bosch book
The Gods of Guilt - Michael Connelly's latest Lincoln Lawyer book

Of the two, I'd recommend the Gods of Guilt first. Both are solid Connelly books, but the Bosch books have become such procedural, by the numbers plots that I'm a bit tired of. Connelly used to throw some really great twists into his books, which would require you to rethink everything you thought you knew. Now, most of his books are pretty straightforward police procedurals. Well written with pretty good characters, but straightforward.

Horns - Joe Hill

This was fun one. Clever idea with some decent writing. Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) is getting better and better at this and seems to be bringing some fresh ideas to the genre.

Currently Reading:

Doctor Sleep - Stephen King (time to compare the father and son, back to back and maybe to back if I decide on NOS4A2 next...).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Young Carthaginian (original 1887; edition 2013) by G. A. Henty :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

G.A. Henty was a 19th century author of more than 120 books, many of them written for children. In the case of this book, I'd say it was aimed at 12 to adult.

I've read just about every popular account of Hannibal and his invasion of Italy, so I am quite familiar with the story. Henty does a superb job distilling the essentials of this story, without the usual comparisons of whether Polybius or Livy was a more accurate primary source.

The story is about a young Carthaginian noble, Malchus, who becomes part of Hannibal's inner circle from his battles to subdue Spain, the journey with the elephants across the Alps, and his invasion of Italy. Malchus himself is a fictional storyline, but he exists within as authentic a telling of Hannibal's story as there is. Henty shows us that one doesn't have to mess with a good true story to make it entertaining -- something Hollywood should take note of as they crank out ridiculous parodies such as "300".

While Malchus leaves Hannibal's service years before the general's recall to defend Carthage against Scipio's invasion and his defeat at the Battle of Cannae. Historians like to debate what might have happened had Hannibal attacked Rome after his destruction of 8 consular legions at Cannae, but Henty reminds us Carthage was no loveable underdog (although Hannibal himself might qualify). Corruption was rampant in Carthage, and the ruling party of Hanno was every bit as loathsome as Rome had been to date. Malchius experiences this corruption first hand. Again, it's an effective presentation of history, an interesting story to read with the added bonus of learning something in the end. What we know of Hannibal hasn't increased much over the 100 years or so since Henty's death; perhaps some of his other stories will seem more dated. His writing style is similar to his American contemporary Jack London; the story is one easily enjoyed by adults and children alike.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health by William Davis :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

I'm pretty sure I read this before, but in the previous version, the evil culprit was corn. No matter, Dr. William Davis presents a good case for wheat being the root of all evil.

I for one frequently mocked the "gluten free" crowd as less than 3% of the population exhibits any form of gluten intolerance. A protein found in many grains, this protein is a marker for all sorts of life-shortening problems, the chief of which is diabetes. Perhaps the author was flinging poo at the wall to see what sticks, but many of his symptoms of problems caused by wheat really hit home with me.

This book includes many case studies to support the author's case. His argument is a good one, although the outcome appears to be a rehash of the Atkins diet. Many sources of fats and protein are fine, limiting evil carbs is the goal. In my case though, I suffer from annoyingly-large "spare tire", knee pain that has been prevalent since I ran a marathon over a year ago, and frequent fatigue...all which he blames on gluten in general and wheat in particular.

I don't think I can do the total withdrawal that Davis recommends. Some of the carbs are a quality of life issue (I'm from Chicago, a life without pizza and beer is not worth living). While partial withdrawal is not recommended, I think I will now try something recommended by Timothy Ferris in his book "The Four Hour Body" and make an effort to limit my transgressions to once per week. I have about 2 months to try to lose weight and lower my H1C (indicator of long-term blood sugar) and the winter has just been impossible for my normal method of mitigating through exercise. Therefore, I'll give this a try for a few weeks and see what happens. Hopefully, I'll fit into more of my wardrobe.

My only complaint is the author's lame attempts at humor. The audio book reader had a very serious, urgent tone. Adding in quips like "there are more negative symptoms than Tiger Woods has girlfriends" just doesn't come through very well in such a grave voice.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Meal wrote:Updated my post with this review.

Fiction

The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins (borrowed from Amazon's Owner's Lending Library)
Despite having been spoiled by the movie (and following, by my wife who had read the books but was prompted to tell me the differences between the two media versions), this was still a quick and enjoyable read. Collins isn't much one for extraneous details or significant character development or dialog. She's got a story in mind and wants to put it on paper. The teeny-bopper love triangle aspect certainly wasn't the draw for me, but the contrived story about the goings on in the arena was plenty enjoyable. For folks who like seeing this sort of thing play out, I recommend youtubing the Mindcrack Ultra Hardcore ("UHC") Minecraft videos. Currently on Season 14, I found many of these to be well worth my time. Of course, I 1) enjoy Minecraft videos, and 2) understand the interpersonal relationship amongst the Mindcrack members. YMMV.
I also just finished reading The Hunger Games (today in fact). Did you read the whole trilogy or just the first one? I'm into the second, and hoping the trilogy doesn't drop off too sharply after the first, or drag on needlessly like some I have read. My purpose in reading it was so I could watch the movies after reading the books.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Just the first for me, so far. I hear the second is worth reading, but that there's a big drop-off in quality for the third.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Finished
"Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson (book). Great book. I'm glad the Library had this and I took the advice from the sci-fi book thread. It is really in the Asimov style of "science fiction is still fiction and is about the characters." Really enjoyed this and though it nice and original.

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline (Kindle; Library). a quick and entertaining read. It was mentioned in another thread a while ago, but I just received a Kindle for my birthday (Thanks Honey!) and decided to give it a shot. The local library didn't have paper copies. Having grown up in the 70's and 80's I knew all the things he referenced. Although my family couldn't afford the gaming systems, I know of them and had played some at friends' houses.

"Kurt Vonnegut: Letters" edited by Dan Wakefield (kindle). Very good look at the man behind the "sci-fi" (which he really didn't consider himself a sci-fi writer). I read all and loved 90% of Vonnegut books, so this is a nice read for me. It really shows what a humanitarian and non-violent (in a non-hippie way) person he was. If you like Vonnegut, give it a try. Maybe not as good as the books of correspondence for Hunter Thompson, but good none-the-less. It made me want to read "slaughterhouse-five" and "God bless you, Mr. Rosewater" again. Plus, I can't remember if I read "Galapagos" or not.

"Little green men" by Peter Cawdron (kindle). I got this as a free daily deal and it was entertaining. very horror sci-fi. I seemed to come together and end very rapidly. ONe character had an idea and few pages later boom, book done. Not Deus ex machina, but close.

"Slaughterhouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut (Kindle; library). now I remember why I liked Vonnegut's writing so much.

Off the Grid by Dan Kolbet (Kindle). most of my kindle books are either library or free daily deals. I took a chance on this one and it is surprisingly good without hokeyness. plots within plots. Kid wants revenge for hsi parents death due to power outages and becomes a spy at t tech company that delivers wireless electricity. Was good sci-fi lite, but like little green men, it cam together rather rapidly toward the end. a good casual read.

Wool by Hugh Howley (kindle). nice, short, dystopian future short story. I got the first in the series for free and am hesitant to buy the rest if they are this short. but really well done in 49 pages. finished it in about 15 minutes. really thought the end was a nice touch.

Reading

A Dance with Dragons by GRR Martin (paperback). not too far in, and slow going. I'm kind of tired of Blondie and her "woe is me" and whomever the doofuses are that are out of their element traveling to see her ("I'm dornish and should have gotten a ship but I am with idiot-boy and stuck on an elephant"). Ugh. Is the whole thing like this? at least I would rather be bored reading about Tyrion.

Reign of Coins (Judas Chronicles #2) by Aiden James (kindle). I didn't realize this was the 2nd in the series until after I started. Interesting premise and has a bit of history through time. mystery/spy/supernatural/sci fi kind of deal. although Judas is a potty mouth! :P

Desolate: the complete trilogy by Robert Brumm (kindle). Again, interesting premise of the worst case prisoners being sent to an island off of Antarctica. something is found and chaos ensues (so far).

Curbchek reloaded by Zach Fortier.(Kindle) Each chapter is a call that the main cop character gets. supposedly based on real life. curt writing. It seems as if it was written by someone on the job, not by a professional writer (as fiction) or ghostwriter. quite dark.

11/22/63 by Stephen King. (book) I'm not that far into it, but good. Better character adn story development than "under the dome." I've read reviews that the middle bogs down with unnecessary details, but I have not gotten that far yet.

How to Brew by John Palmer. The essential book on how to homebrew if you are interested. Well written with pics and all the details you would need without too much science. Being a scientist, I delve into a bit more of the chemistry if i need to, but for basics on how to do it and why you need to do certain things a certain way (rolling boil, timed hop additions) this is the book to get.

For the Love of Hops: the practical guide to aroma, bitterness, and the culture of hops by Stan Hieronymus.
Everything you ever wanted to know about hops, their place in history (more than just beer), the hop industry, and how to grow them. Details on the rating of hops and the varieties (up to printing time). There are new hop breeds constantly being developed but Hieronymus does a great job with the details of the hop.

need to get again
1/2 way through but didn't finish "The Quantum Thief (Jean Le Flambeur)" by Hannu Rajaniemi (book). Boy, hard sci-fi is right. this is one I need to devote time to read, and not just pick up and put down in little spurts. Very original and I am liking it, but definitely not brain candy. Very original concept. requested by other library patron and I had to return it.

updated 3/14/2014
Last edited by A nonny mouse on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Private: #1 Suspect by James Patterson :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Jack Morgan returns from a European business trip to find his ex murdered in his own bed. Naturally, being an ex, he was instantly the #1 suspect, although the facts of the case really never added up in a plausible manner. At the same time, his agency, Private, is contracted to baby sit a spoiled movie star, a hotel owner hires Private to investigate a string of murdered johns, and the mob comes a-calling with the proverbial "offer you can't refuse." It all amounts to an eventful couple of weeks in Los Angeles' high-profile private investigation firm.

Multiple on-going cases was something I liked in the first Private. Since then, I haven't read them in order. The last three I read, Private Berlin, Private London and Private Games all focused on a single case, and involve other offices so owner Jack Morgan is only peripherally involved. I didn't enjoy either of these three books as much as the first Private, and now, Private #1 Suspect.

The book is paced like an action movie and never gets bogged down. None of the case outcomes are shocking, there's no "wow, I didn't see that coming." The cops are maybe a little too Neanderthal, they seem to have an axe to grind and were a little too willing to believe in their own implausible theories. Still, it's a fun book, I'll look next for Private LA, which I presume will be more of the same.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I liked this book - not as much as the first one, but still liked it. I definitely want to read Private LA but I just have no desire to read the Berlin/London/Games sub-series (the main protagonist is what makes the series interesting...without him, it's just another bland crime mystery).

I just finished Monday Mourning by Kathy Reichs (it's #7 in the Temperance Brennan series). Finished it in one day, actually, a very enjoyable read, just like the rest of the series so far.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen) by John Gwynne

Many high reviews on Amazon comparing this to GRRM. The only resemblance is that he shifts POV between characters for each chapter. Other than that, it's an ok story that really drags for the first 2/3's of the book. It gets better towards the end but not sure if enough to salvage the book as an entirety. Also the only emotion he knows for his characters is grunted. Over and over again. Like braid pulling.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Uhtred Uhtredson is quickly becoming one of my all-time serial fiction characters. Now in his 7th "Saxom Chronicles" book, the ornery Saxon is older, not wiser, but as strong and vulgar as ever. His life is complicated -- he's a Saxon, raised by a Dane, a follower of pagan Norse religion, who finds himself in the service of Christian Saxons against his Danish brothers.

The book starts with Uhtred demoting his son, Uhtred, to Judas (he became a Christian priest) and upgrading his second son to Uhtred. It's similar to what happened to him when his own older brother was killed in battle and his father promptly renamed him. After losing Bebbanburg (Bamburgh) castle to a treacherous uncle, Uhtred has spent his whole life trying to reclaim his birthright. He comes close this time, but can't quite pull it off while once again, duty to the Saxons call. His former sire, Alfred the Great, has been dead for several years now, but Uhtred still has a thing with his daughter and pledges to help protect her worthless husband's territory of Mercia against Danish incursion.

The book is filled with delightful slurs as a prelude to battle (or in general conversation with church folk). The climatic battle is based on one that was fought but poorly documented, the perfect setting for making a fictional book seem authentic. Cornwell ended with a cliffhanger...but then spilled the beans in his historical notes following the book. Ah, well, the good thing is Uhtred will be swinging his sword Serpent-Breath again. The enemies list is getting smaller...perhaps one day he will get his castle back.
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

Updated to include review of The Secret History of Star Wars.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Between work, a full month of school work, and audition and rehearsal for Elephant Man, this month's reading was a bit lighter, but I was surprised to see I got through (mostly) six books in February.

The Actor's Art and Craft, by William Esper and Damon DiMarco

William Esper is, I have come to learn, really one of the most respected acting teachers in America. He spent quite a lot of time learning with Sanford Meisner,and teaches Meisner's methods. You can see an impressive list of some of Esper's students here: http://esperstudio.com/?page_id=11
In this book Damon DiMarco observes a year Esper's classes with a particular set of students. It's like being a fly on the wall during some great acting training. At the end of each chapter DiMarco talks briefly with Esper about that day's experiences. Really a wonderful book for anyone looking to improve their acting skills. Very highly recommended for actors. If you aren't an actor you still may find things of interest.

Adventures of a Cat-Whiskered Girl, by Daniel Pinkwater

I very rarely look at juvenile fiction. I've got too much else on my reading plate generally. I always make an exception for Daniel Pinkwater though. His sense of humor is like nothing else. There's not much point in describing the plot. If you've read Pinkwater, you know that there's just going to be unending zaniness. If you haven't, just find one of his books and get started. They're all quite good, though he did write some for younger children which might not be quite meaty enough for an adult reader.

Bloom, by Wil McCarthy

I'll just say this: I can't even remember the last sci-fi book I really liked. I put this one down halfway through. I keep hoping something will spark my interest, but I think from here on out I should just avoid anything that bills itself as "hard sci-fi." Apparently it isn't my thing anymore.

Back to Blood, by Tom Wolfe

by contrast to the above, I REALLY appreciate Wolfe's writing style and the work he puts into his novels. He values all those details of real life that make his stories give you a window into particular bits of real life that you might not have personally experiences, but by the time you've finished, you feel like you've actually spent time with these people. In this case, the people are a couple of Cuban-Americans who begin the story in a dating relationship. He is a cop, dealing issues of machismo, racism, and trying to learn what it means to be a grown man. She is a nurse working with a psychologist who specializes in pornography addiction. She struggles with her body image, her relationships with men, including her boss, and trying to find who she wants to be. Highly recommended.

Ecumenical Ventures in Ethics, edited by Reinhard Hutter and Theodore Dieter

This is a collection of essays by protestant theologians interacting with two of Pope John Paul II's encyclicals (Veritatis Splendor and Evangelium Vitae). Since this is a collection, it obviously varies by each particular essay. Most of them I found at least somewhat interesting and a helpful introduction for me to some of the late Pope's contributions. Oliver O'Donovan's contribution stood out as especially thoughtful, though that won't be a surprise to anyone familiar with O'Donovan's other work. I also appreciated the final essay in response by James Keenan S.J. who explained how the encyclicals fit within the trajectory of Catholic thought. Recommended for those interested in catholic and protestant theology.

Security, Territory, Population, by Michel Foucault

This is the second book of Foucault's lecture series given at the College de France, in this case in 1977-78. I don't know what preconceptions, if any, people have of Foucault, but he was a historian of the first rank and his deep knowledge and interest in European history is fully on display here. His subject is what he calls "governmentality", a term he coined to try to encompass the nature of the various mechanisms by which governments in fact govern. This is a very complicated topic, and Foucault seemed to think that he was only able to scratch just a bit into it. That said, his work here is really fascinating. He spends quite a bit of time looking at ancient governments and how they described what they were doing (Greek, Hebrew and other Mediterranean cultures). His survey only goes into the 16th and 17th century, and mostly looks at France, but nonetheless I found it quite enlightening. Highly recommended for those with an interest in political history.
No sig, must scream, etc.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Just a heads up for you Brandon Sanderson fans. March 4th is the release date for Words of Radiance, the sequel to the fantastic Way of Kings. This is one of my most anticipated fiction releases this year, really looking forward to getting back into this series.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Two down, eight to go. :whistle:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Long Walk by Stephen King :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

The Long Walk was original published under Stephen King's pseudonym, Richard Bachman. It's about, well, a long walk. But not just any long walk, 100 young men start, and only one finishes. The penalty for losing? A trip home in a body bag. The rules are pretty simple: fall off of a 4 mph pace, and you get warned. One can carry up to 3 warnings, and shed them at a rate of one per hour. There is no 4th warning, instead soldiers shoot you dead.

The book follows one of these young men, as he meets others that will soon be dead. The prize for winning is staggering, riches and wishes. But there can be only one. This long walk apparently is an annual event, crossing the state of Maine and heading south into New England.

The stories of other walkers are brief. For the most part, we really never know or understand their motives. While the prize is fabulous, it seems like the winners will probably be scarred for life, and probably wouldn't enjoy their victory. Considering what is at stake, one would expect more competitive hostility, but relations between most of the walkers are unusually supportive. Despite the length, we don't meet all of the casualties, some are merely shots heard in the rear. Others have their deaths chronicled in gruesome detail.

With anyone but King, this would have been a short story taken way to far. It still left me with more questions than answers, though.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Rivers In the Desert by Margaret Leslie Davis

I bought this book after seeing Chinatown a couple months ago. The book is the story of William Mulholland and his search to supply the city of LA with water. Mulholland was the head of the LA Dept. of Water, and through his planning the LA Aquaduct was built. The book also describes the building, and subsequent collapse of the St. Francis Dam, which killed over 500 people and destroyed Mulholland's career. Mulholland was an amazing man. He worked on the Panama Canal, the LA Aquaduct and the Colorado River projects.

If you have any interest in how LA became LA, and the real historical background behind the Chinatown story then this book is for you. Interestingly, the book was written in 1993. In the epilogue, the author mention LA being in the 7th year of a drought. What with California being in the third year of one now the Governor has announced it is global climate change at work. I thought that was funny. California is a desert, it was in 1993 and it was in the early 1900's when Mulholland knew without outside water sources LA could never be more than a small city.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Updated my post with this review:

Completed
Non–fiction
Poker's 1% - The One Big Secret that Keeps Elite Players on Top Ed Miller (Self-published, EdMillerPoker.com)
Ed Miller has been my favorite poker strategy author for a long time, and so I've vowed to support his endeavors at every turn. When I found out that he was self-publishing this title (following the unfortunate pattern of self-aggrandizing titles in poker strategy literature) I didn't think twice at the price tag. Fortunately for me, by pre-ordering, I was eligible to receive a .pdf version of the book a couple of weeks before it was released for general consumption to folks at large. Without overselling the book, I think it's fair to call it among the most revolutionary books on the market. It does not provide the most revolutionary theory to the game, but it does what Mr. Miller does best, it wraps coherent writing around difficult-to-write-about topics in such a way which brings the cohesive whole to the reader with a minimum of unfortunate side effects. This book could be fairly assessed as a "dumbed down" version of Matthew Janda's Applications of No-Limit Hold em. In a nutshell it provides a reasonable framework for players to utilize a game-theory optimized "frequency-based" strategy to their poker game. It's what I observe when I watch youtube videos of poker savants (such as Jason Somerville) who crafted their games online, but it presents the information in a digestible format which is such an anathema to the "internet kiddies" segment of poker strategy authors. This should not be your first (or fifth) poker strategy book, and I'd highly recommend familiarity with exploitative theories first (start especially with Miller's previous two releases on hand reading and exploitative play), if only to understand why this method is so powerful. If Janda's book was too (unnecessarily) dense for your reading or if you were intrigued by the topics, but wanted more hand-holding to the application of Chen's and Ankenman's The Mathematics of Poker then this is the book for you.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

updated

Grrr. how do you get it to hotlink to your post?
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Put the url in a [ url ] tag. We're having board issues that the officials have beaten their brains out on, and the unofficial code heads like myself have not yet attempted to make worse.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A nonny mouse wrote:updated

Grrr. how do you get it to hotlink to your post?
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Isgrimnur wrote:Put the url in a [ url ] tag. We're having board issues that the officials have beaten their brains out on, and the unofficial code heads like myself have not yet attempted to make worse.

Thanks Isgrimnur. I did put the url in the url tag initially, but it only linked to the very top of the page, not to my actual post.
thsi is the url in the bar [viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87035&start=80]

I can't figure out how to get the "p=XXXXXX#pXXXXXX" at the end of the url that goes straight to the post. how do you get the p number?

And thanks for linking to the post, but I was trying to link to the post here on the 3rd page.

* edit. Wait. If I hit "edit" I see the number. I'm going to test this.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

testing posting link

* edit: YAY! that worked. But I'm sure there is an easier way, no?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's a small page icon with a folded/cut corner on each post that contains a link to that particular post. You can right-click and copy the link address from there and use it in the post.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Isgrimnur wrote:There's a small page icon with a folded/cut corner on each post that contains a link to that particular post. You can right-click and copy the link address from there and use it in the post.
It took me a while to find the folded corner page icon. I didn't realize it was right in front of the "by XXXposter".

Thanks for the tip!

Nonny
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No problem.

It's in different places under different display profiles, and I didn't have the time to run down all of them to make it more specific at the time. I'm gal you were able to find it.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

The Meal wrote:Just the first for me, so far. I hear the second is worth reading, but that there's a big drop-off in quality for the third.
I'd agree with this. I just finished the third book this week. The first half of the second book was slow, but the back half was strong. My wife and kids told me they hated Mockingjay (the third book), so I had low expectations. I think this helped a bit. I didn't find it awful, but it was the weakest of the three books.
rshetts2 wrote:Just a heads up for you Brandon Sanderson fans. March 4th is the release date for Words of Radiance, the sequel to the fantastic Way of Kings. This is one of my most anticipated fiction releases this year, really looking forward to getting back into this series.
The first book is one of my favorite fantasy novels. Really looking forward to the second book. Have you started it?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Completed
January-February
Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross
Boneshaker (Clockwork Century) by Cherie Priest
In the Company of Ogres by A. Lee Martinez

In Process
Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
Lyonesse Book 1: Suldren's Garden by Jack Vance
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Godzilla Blitz wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:Just a heads up for you Brandon Sanderson fans. March 4th is the release date for Words of Radiance, the sequel to the fantastic Way of Kings. This is one of my most anticipated fiction releases this year, really looking forward to getting back into this series.
The first book is one of my favorite fantasy novels. Really looking forward to the second book. Have you started it?
They have got me on 10 hours / 7 days a week at work right now so I havent started it yet. It mocks me from my Nook. I would take my Nook to work and read it on my breaks but my rather draconian employer restricts electronic devices at the work place, including e-readers and smart phones.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

The GF got a Kindle Paperwhite for her Bday so I got her "old" Kindle.
Finally got to read Swan Song. Great book, much better than the Stand though I didn't expect any "supernatural" stuff in it so that was a bit disappointing, still, great book.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Updated with review of Self Inflicted Wounds - Aisha Tyler
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

I am finally getting enough motivation to make lists, though not so much as to write reviews, ratings, or links.

In Process:
The Winds of War - Herman Wouk
The Ghost Brigades - John Scalzi

YTD Completed:
Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch
Pirate Latitudes - Michael Crichton
No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
World Without End - Ken Follett
Fall of Giants - Ken Follett
Winter of the World - Ken Follett
Inferno - Dan Brown
Earth Abides - George R. Sewart
The Running Man (audiobook) - Richard Bachmann (SK)
Full Dark No Stars - Stephen King
Old Man's War - John Scalzi

YTD Abandoned:
The Executioner's Song - Norman Mailer. The only book I've fallen asleep reading that I can remember. It wasn't BAD but it would take me a full year to read it at the pace I was on.
The Hobbit - should be in a "put on hold" category as I was reading it along side Fall of Giants and got hooked on that series.
Last edited by Hiccup on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
-- Mark Twain .

XBL: Hiccup1
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Pace yourself on the Fall of Giants series. The last book in the trilogy - Edge of Eternity - releases in September.