Electric Vehicles for Kids - suggestions wanted [Kids]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Crabbs

Electric Vehicles for Kids - suggestions wanted [Kids]

Post by Crabbs »

Amelia has a small electric powered Trike for inside use and she loves it.

I found it online a year ago at JCPenny closeout for $25. She's gotten great use of it and would love to take it outside all the time. It's not powerful enough to go through the grass or any sort of mild incline.

We're thinking of getting her something for riding around the yard this summer. Any suggestions? Any experiences positive/negative to relay? We're willing to spend a little bit of money if the toy holds up for a couple seasons. All the reviews online vary wildly for identical vehicles.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
DD*

Re: Electric Vehicles for Kids - suggestions wanted [Kids]

Post by DD* »

When they were younger, my kids had the Power Wheels 4 Wheeler ATVs (can't remember the models, one was orange and one blue - they have a zillion different ones). They rode them quite a bit, and now the ATVs have been passed on to my buddy's kids. I would recommend a second battery if she rides it a lot; reduces the downtime.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Our daughter was given the Power Wheels Dune Racer from her grandparents a little over a year ago -- it really hauls around the yard, but I would also recommend having a backup battery. I want to say it lasts about 2 hours on a charge, but if you have multiple kids using it, I think the extra weight will drop the life down a bit, so having a backup is critical. No problems on grass or even hills - I was pretty impressed. We went with this particular model as it allegedly will hold up to 130 pounds. Even though she's just now seven, I am guessing she'll be able to drive this to High School based on her growth trend. Wasn't too difficult to assemble, but it does take up some space for storage.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

stessier

Post by stessier »

That is awesome! Does it really work?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

I know both of my neighbors have barbie power wheels, that have actual working radios, and they haul pretty well through grass and up inclines...that said I personally am not a fan of them. My 5 year old has been able to ride a bike without training wheels for over a year now. Her best friend who lives next door and is the same age, still needs training wheels because she spends all her time in the powered car.

Now I understand I am making a correlation that might not be accurate, but I have actually seen it with a few of the kids my daughter is friends with who have the powered cars and still can't ride without training wheels.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

I taught my daughter to ride a two wheel bike at 3. One of the best things I have done and one of the worst. As I don't own a bike I had to essentially run around the block three times the first day. We now have a understanding where I let her ride ahead while I walk (briskly) behind and when I whistle, when she gets a bit to far ahead, she stops.

I won't lie though. I always wanted one of those electric cars growing up. But my big wheel and borrowing the green machine from the other kid down the street really helped curb that want. :)

I see they make a new version of the green machine now as well.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

stessier wrote:That is awesome! Does it really work?
Movies here: http://www.sakakibara-kikai.co.jp/produ ... k-robo.htm
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

I've seen all those powered vehicles at Toy's R Us and Wal-Mart.

While I think they're very cool, and my daughter would like riding around in one they seem to only be big enough that they
will only be able to use them while they're the size to fit in them, which seems like 1 year, 2 years max.

After that do I really want to be stuck with a $250 replica of a barbie corvette or jeep?

The big wheel was awesome back in the day, my little sister had one. By that time I was too big to ride it, but I'd push
her around the driveway from time to time.

A pair of roller skates or roller blades might be a future purchase for my girl.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Thanks for the replies. Looks like 12V with an extra battery is the way to go. Thanks!

We'll definitely get her a bike this summer too, but there's really no good place to ride it. While we have a nice large driveway, our house/clinic is right off a 4 lane (45mph speed zone) state road with tons of traffic. There is no way in Hell she is EVER playing in the front yard or driveway. We've got about 4 acres out back she can have fun in though.

We'll probably start with one of these walking bikes next time woot kids has them on sale.

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote:Enlarge Image
The kids can suck it, that one's for me. Had I not been cheated out of the powerball win, that would have been my family mover.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Just get her a Harley and be done with it. She'll grow into it.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My post is missing. I basically said anything would be better than the ones I had as a child. Mine were circa 1974 and for the time they were awesome but looking back the battery life lacked a lot haha. Im sure battery tech has evolved a lot since then.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"