Netflix Original Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by hepcat »

Is it just me, or is Netflix specializing in teen dystopia these days?
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So I've seen approximately a bazillion ads for the new Netflix show "Dead to Me". Here's the show's description (from Netflix):
Jen (Christina Applegate) is a sardonic widow determined to solve her husband's recent hit-and-run murder. Judy (Linda Cardellini) is an optimistic free spirit who's recently suffered her own tragic loss. When the two women meet at a support group, they become unlikely friends despite their polar-opposite personalities. But as they bond over bottles of wine, Entenmann's cookies and a shared affinity for The Facts of Life, Judy desperately tries to shield Jen from a shocking secret that could destroy her life as she knows it.
I know absolutely nothing about the show, but based solely on that description, I'm guessing I already know "the twist".
Spoiler:
Judy was the one who killed Jen's husband in the hit-and-run
Someone who has seen it tell me if I'm right, and if so, if it's still worth the journey.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Tuca and Birdie. Great show.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 pm So I've seen approximately a bazillion ads for the new Netflix show "Dead to Me".
Couple of co-workers in the cubicles next to me are raving about this show. I might check it out at some point but it's pretty far down on the list.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 pm So I've seen approximately a bazillion ads for the new Netflix show "Dead to Me".

[...]

I know absolutely nothing about the show, but based solely on that description, I'm guessing I already know "the twist".
Spoiler:
Judy was the one who killed Jen's husband in the hit-and-run
Someone who has seen it tell me if I'm right, and if so, if it's still worth the journey.
Yes. And yes? They don't really hide that twist; it's made pretty obvious pretty early. But I still enjoyed the show, mostly because I was really impressed with Applegate and Cardellini's performances in their respective roles. I even expected to laugh more than I did while watching it but I still thought it was interesting nonetheless.

- Ash
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:47 pm Is it just me, or is Netflix specializing in teen dystopia these days?
lol it may just seem that way because they keep recommending them to me and then I end up posting about them here. I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff I haven't seen.

Speaking of which, I also watched Chambers, which was kind of like those movies where they have to transplant some body part from an evil person. This one turns out to be more complex than the movies I've seen and definitely leaves room for more. In this case it's a teenage girl who gets a heart transplant from a girl from the "other side of the tracks." Creepiness ensues when she meets the girl's parents and that's all I'll say.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Latest The Boys trailer...NSFW it says

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:47 pm Is it just me, or is Netflix specializing in teen dystopia these days?
I have noticed more of them, but that may just be because they're trying to target a specific demographic that until recently hasn't really been present. A few days ago, I noticed a new arrival The Society. Basic premise is parents disappear and the kids have to fend for themselves and "survive". A bit too much like another show I'd seen about a year or two ago and I decided not to continue with it. Many of these shows seems too similar after awhile.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:40 pm
I have noticed more of them, but that may just be because they're trying to target a specific demographic that until recently hasn't really been present. A few days ago, I noticed a new arrival The Society. Basic premise is parents disappear and the kids have to fend for themselves and "survive". A bit too much like another show I'd seen about a year or two ago and I decided not to continue with it. Many of these shows seems too similar after awhile.
LOL - I commented on The Society on the previous page (May 13th), which I believe is what directly led to hepcat's question, which you answered by talking about The Society. The circle is now complete. :clap:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that was... embarrassing :D Once I looked back, I realized what had initiated Hepcat's thought. I can't even remember name of the other series I'm thinking about, but it was very similar. The adults were all gone and the kids were trapped in the town. The military imposed a ban coming in or out and anyone who tried to escape were shot. It was also very Under-the-dome-ish and It went on for two seasons. Oh wait, it was called Between: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Between_(TV_series)
Between is the story of a small town called Pretty Lake and surrounding rural area under siege from a mysterious disease that has wiped out everybody aged 22 and older. The series also explores numerous themes: the power vacuum that results when the government quarantines a 10 square mile zone and leaves the inhabitants to fend for themselves; the desire of inhabitants to escape, ignoring that they will spread the deadly disease to the entire planet; and the effect of hormonal teenaged/young adult angst becoming the guiding force for an entire community.
Almost seems like that new series is a remake.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Your first mistake is assuming I have thoughts.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Dystopian material. :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Netflix’s upcoming live-action series Cowboy Bebop is going on a lengthy hiatus following a knee injury sustained by lead John Cho on the set of the show in New Zealand.

Sources describe the injury as a freak accident that happened on the last take of a routine and well-rehearsed scene. It requires surgery, for which Cho has been flown back to Los Angeles, and an extensive rehabilitation. The production shutdown is expected to last seven to nine months. The new filming schedule will be set once Cho’s prognosis is clear.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Watching the Paul Rudd vs Paul Rudd series "Living with Yourself" - a lot of fun assuming you are a Paul Rudd fan.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just saw that show up on their new list. I’m going to have to check it out as I am a Rudd fan.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Star Wars is great and all, but I may be more stoked for this.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:Star Wars is great and all, but I may be more stoked for this.

I would mock you but I'm pretty excited about the new season too.

Long may she reign! (on Netflix)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Will you both be wearing tiaras for the premiere? Or do you only have the one and you have to share?
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:09 am Will you both be wearing tiaras for the premiere? Or do you only have the one and you have to share?
No, but I'm already practicing the accent.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I know I am the last person on earth to see it, but I watched the first hour of episodes of Love, Death and Robots last night. That was pretty awesome. I am pretty sure my wife would not be interested. I will show her the first episode (Three Robots) though, because she I think she will like the ending.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:58 am Star Wars is great and all, but I may be more stoked for this.
I was wondering when the trailer would arrive. Seems we're trading one empire for another ;)

I must say, it's going to take some time to get used to the completely different cast in those roles. Claire Foy as the Queen was brilliant.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:39 am Deadline
Netflix’s upcoming live-action series Cowboy Bebop is going on a lengthy hiatus following a knee injury sustained by lead John Cho on the set of the show in New Zealand.

Sources describe the injury as a freak accident that happened on the last take of a routine and well-rehearsed scene. It requires surgery, for which Cho has been flown back to Los Angeles, and an extensive rehabilitation. The production shutdown is expected to last seven to nine months. The new filming schedule will be set once Cho’s prognosis is clear.
Pretty sure this is the universe’s way of confirming - in no uncertain terms - that John Cho is absolutely, 100% the wrong person to be playing Spike.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The trailer for the new season of The Crown looks great. I guess this means I need to finally watch the second season. I really enjoyed the first season, but for some reason was never motivated to watch the second. :think:
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Will you both be wearing tiaras for the premiere? Or do you only have the one and you have to share?
Hmmm, better clean up the good tea set for the premiere...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just a coincidence, but this week has seen a number of Empire-related things. New trailer for SW. New Trailer for Season 3 of The Crown. And Japan crowns a new Emperor. That's kind of... crazy :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Rumpy wrote:Just a coincidence, but this week has seen a number of Empire-related things. New trailer for SW. New Trailer for Season 3 of The Crown. And Japan crowns a new Emperor. That's kind of... crazy :D
HBO is also showing their Catherine the Great mini series.
Black lives matter!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Binged season 3 of Big Mouth today. It’s crude, but funny as hell and captures the awkwardness of adolescence perfectly.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Finished watching season one of Raising Dion; Started out really strong with some great premises but I had to push myself to watch the last 2 episodes. Will check out season 2 if it airs but not overly enthusiastic.

Almost finished with season one of The Kominsky Method. Really enjoying this, all the actors are good, the overarching story is enjoyable, the episodes are pretty funny but Alan Arkin is national treasure, his delivery is so perfect. The one gripe is they over do the "getting old sucks" schtick a bit.

Watched season one of Living With Yourself as well. Thought it was really good right up until the last half of the last episode. I enjoy Paul Rudd and thought he did a great job and Aisling Bea is wonderful, plus I am a sucker for a brogue. Based on how the first season left off I am a bit leery for what they do with season two now but still interested to see.

If you enjoy anime/animation; I thoroughly enjoyed watching all three seasons of Troll Hunters: Tales of Arcadia. This is based on a book by Guillermo Del Toro who also does the show. This is a really good story with some excellent voice acting work and sadly one of the last projects Anton Yelchin worked on. Highly recommend for both kids and adults.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I'm a big fan of chef David Chang and he's got a new travel show out called Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner.

We watched the first two eps with Seth Rogen in Vancouver and Chrissy Teigen in Morocco. Both very funny and entertaining. Looking froward to Kate McKinnon in Cambodia and Lena Waithe in LA.

Comparisons to Bourdain's Parts Unknown are fairly accurate, which makes sense because Chang and Bourdain worked together many times. This show makes me miss Tony even more though.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:47 am I'm a big fan of chef David Chang
Do you know about his podcast on The Ringer?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:53 am
Z-Corn wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:47 am I'm a big fan of chef David Chang
Do you know about his podcast on The Ringer?
Yeah, I don't listen to them all but I pick and choose which guests sound interesting to me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

End of the F* World season 2 just showed up. I was definitely not in the camp clamoring for a season 2 only because the end of season 1 was perfect in almost every way, and a second season would only lessen that perfection through the simple act of continuing the story.

BUT, I'll still watch. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't really know where to put this, but Netflix has just had a rather significant UI update. It's both good and bad. The tiles that you're on expand to a large rectangle with description and bullet point descriptors, which does make it easier to check something out at a glance, which is good because more detail is always good. But the bad is that it obscures everything else when you're browsing your list and that rectangle only allows about 4 other titles on the screen which makes me feel like it's bad use of space. What's the use of a list if you can't really see it properly? You kind of have to browse over to the next thing to see what it is properly.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We just finished season 3 of Atypical and are still enjoying it a great deal. It is such an awkward show and a shocking amount of the awkwardness has nothing to do with the autistic guy. Not sure what comes next. Mostly just waiting for Mrs. Maisel on that other streaming service.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

One of my favourite Netflix series is called Easy. It's about relationships, and it's actually quite a refreshing show as everything feels very natural and genuine. I also find it unique in the sense that it's an anthology show, where each episode deals with a different group and topics, but that there are several groups that eventually are followed up on and have an ongoing storyline throughout the series. It's all set in Chicago, there are some interesting crossover cameos that happen between some of the groups, but for the most part, it's all self-contained within the groups.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Halfway through season 3 of Dragon Prince and thoroughly enjoying it but was saddened to hear that recently there's been some controversy around the show's creator treating female employees harshly at the studio. Hope things work out in the end.

Click below for the details but there's a great Avatar: The Last Airbender reference/joke, think it was episode 5?
Spoiler:
Callum looks at another character's odd staff-like weapon with crescent shaped blades at the end, removes one and comments on how it looks like a boomerang. Point is further reinforced in the credits which includes a sketch of Callum wielding Sokka's boomerang.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The new season's out? Cool.

I really wish streaming services would let you click a 'remind me' button and notify you when changes to that series (like new seasons) happen.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:23 am The new season's out? Cool.

I really wish streaming services would let you click a 'remind me' button and notify you when changes to that series (like new seasons) happen.
I get an email from Netflix when a new season for a series I've watched drops.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Odd. I do not.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Communication Preferences.

It's almost as if people are the problem.