Post by hitbyambulance »

In Progress:

Core Java Vol. 1: Fundamentals - Cay S. Horstmann and Gary Cornell
Core Java Vol. 2: Advanced Features - see above

Finished:

Dune - Frank Herbert

Abandoned:

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyperkub

Re: Books Read 2013

Post by Pyperkub »

WarPig wrote:Since I seem to be reading a lot so far this year...yes it's a lot, but my office becomes dead this time of year so I have time. These are all completed as of 2013.

Books Completed:

The Apocalypse Codex - Charles Stross (These are all the "Laundry Files" books; about an IT nerd who works for a secret British government agency that is trying to prevent extradimensional incursions by unnamed horrors into our reality. Magic is mathematics and computers are our magic wands, mythos is all Lovecraft. Funny and dark)
How was the Apocalypse Codex? I thought the Fuller Memorandum was a little weak, and was thinking I might want to wait until the price dropped on this one (kindle). I thought the Jennifer Morgue was a riot though, and I liked the short stories bundled into the first two books (Atrocity Archives/Jennifer Morgue).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just started: Redshirts by John Scalzi.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Binktopia

Post by Binktopia »

Completed:

A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving

In Progress:

Life of Pi by Yanna Martel
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Have read so far:
The Faithful Spy: A Novel (John Wells) by Alex Berenson the first John Wells novel. A decent read
The Midnight House (John Wells) by Alex Berenson (Feb 9, 2010) - listened to it. Interesting and George Guidall is a great reader
Masters of Command: Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar, and the Genius of Leadership - listened to it. Interesting assessment of the "big 3", learned a fair amount.
The Passage: A Novel by Justin Cronin- this got tedious, S. King works for me but this became a book I skimmed until something substantive was happening
Courageous: A Novel by Randy Alcorn- not normally my thing but saw the movie and liked some of the themes. however, the writers believe that the bible is the inerrant word of god, that women must always be under the protection of a man ( a father must find a man to "give" his daughter to until then the daughter is his), Intelligent Design is something that should compete with Evolution in science classes, there are no working moms in the book everyone is a stay at home mom.
The Secret Soldier by Alex Berenson- listening, this is the latest John Wells book, interesting with a great reader
Near finishing-
Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway - I really thought I knew a lot about Midway-> wrong. Amazing book, completely changed my view of Midway
Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning by Dan John, Pavel Tsatsouline and Dave Draper- good read, may just try the Velocity Diet that is referenced in the book, it very much corresponds to the eating approach of the 4 hour Body except it is almost all about protein shakes. Well written so far
Last edited by Jaddison on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Finished:
The Confession by John Grisham. My first book from him. Premise really got me, the middle was just ok, but the end was satisfying.
Contact by Carl Sagan. Very intellectual book. Liked it.
11/22/63 by S. King. Loved this book. Made my 10 ten favorite list.
Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry. Terrorist zombie book. My first ever zombie story. I enjoyed it.

Currently:
Looking...
Last edited by Torfish on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sports from Hell: My Search for the World's Dumbest Competition by Rick Reilly

Getting things off to a deep and thoughtful start this year.

The book covered a wide variety of stuff from beer pong to Jarts and chess boxing. There were some truly entertaining parts that had me laughing out loud, which is no mean feat for a book.

I managed to pick it up for $2 at the local Half Price Books, so I'd say I definitely got my money's worth out of it. If you enjoy Reilly's writing, I recommend it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Who I Am - A Memoir by Pete Townshend :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

I am, and always have been, a big fan of The Who, so expect some bias in this review. Pete Townshend was (is still?) the creative force behind the band which now has but two survivors of the original quartet including Roger Daltry, John Entwistle, and Keith Moon. This memoir/autobiography dates back to his childhood days and goes to the root of the demons that have both driven his creative force as well destructive habits. Unlike the late John and Keith, Pete's vice of choice was usually alcohol.

Pete gives us a complete account on the creation (and subsequent rebirths) of perhaps his most enduring legacy, the rock opera Tommy. He tries to give equal sway to his other masterpiece, Quadrophenia, and while more serious in terms of cultural meaning, Quadrophenia failed to capture the imagination quite like the "deaf, dumb and blind kid."

The industry of Rock 'n' Roll sure leaves a lot of bodies in its wake. Many have come and gone, and in a eulogizing statement, Townshend lists them all at the end. Many that briefly appeared on my radar around the time Townshend was collaborating with them (such as Ronnie Lane) I never thought to check what became of them. In most cases, they are dead, from either natural or self-inflicted causes.

One of the more remarkable revelations was that among all 4 highly talented members, Pete was the only one who managed become financially stable. Suspicion that tours of the late '80's and beyond were mere money grabs isn't off the mark: their first reunion tour was to help a nearly bankrupt Entwistle, who had taken to selling off his collection of guitars. While I don't think Daltry was nearly as desperate (he did have some moderate success as an actor), references were made that continued collaboration was to help him out financially as well. As much as Pete thought he needed to creatively pursue other avenues, the lure of The Who kept bringing him back...along with the realization that he writes best when writing for Roger's voice, whether consciously or not.

The now duo (and supporting cast) was recently here putting on a live version of Quadrophenia, a show I saw back in the '90's. They seemed to be a little long in the tooth then, although a year or two earlier I saw Townshend put on a brilliant solo show. Their place as a historic musical icon is secure, but my generation (those of us who failed to die before we got old), do like our nostalgia. I'm not sure I'd risk tarnishing my still-vivid imagery of their high-powered shows with the modern incarnation, however.

If you've enjoyed the music of The Who and are at least a little intrigued on what goes on behind the scenes during the storied career of a superstar, you'll find this fascinating. There is plenty of intrigue, double-dealing, high tragedy and, of course, shameless affairs to keep tabloid fans happy. There is also material to interest the music historian -- how Townshend became an early adopter of the synthesizer and incorporated it into the band's music profile to the point where once can scarcely imagine them without it. The story of The Who, and the story of Pete Townshend, is an epic tale. Someone should make a (rock) opera out of it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

Song of Achilles revisits one of the heroes of the Trojan War as told by the ghost of his long-time companion, Patroclus. We hear about young Achilles upbringing, as the child of a goddess and mortal, destined to become the greatest of Greek warriors. Achilles wears this prophesy like an old shirt, his fame and status is presumed long before he is asked to prove himself in combat. This is probably carries poetic license a little too far; even one presumed to be a young godling would likely not have been handed such infamy.

Miller really plays up the homosexual relationship between Patroclus and Achilles, at times uncomfortably or awkwardly so. While considered a meaningless mortal by Achilles' mother Thetis, bringing much scorn, Patroclus stays by Achilles side, much like a puppy following its master. Miller also takes some liberties with the characters and the original story; and Achilles is not slain via his vulnerable heel. Still, these complaints are rather minor, Miller put together a fine tale involving some familiar characters last seen in a college Lit class.
Black Lives Matter
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

The Song of Achilles is now on my Kindle "To Read" bookshelf.

I'm also looking forward to rereading Christopher Logue's All Day Permanent Red: The First Battle Scenes of Homer's Iliad Rewritten which I enjoyed years ago but I'm not able to easily find now. I remember liking it then, I hope I still do.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just finished Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks: An Epic Quest for Reality Among Role Players, Online Gamers, and Other Dwellers of Imaginary Realms by Ethan Golsdorf.

Enlarge Image

Copying over my review from Amazon.

This is a recounting of the author's journey to re-discover the fantasy genre and how fantasy fandom has changed since he left it behind in the 80s. Along the way, he examines his own life and the relevance of imagination, gaming, and escapism to a 'proper' adult in modern western society. Like so many others, he had let society shame him into giving up something meaningful to himself in order to fit in, and this book is his attempt to discover whether he was right to do so, or whether he could recapture the joys of geek culture while still maintaining a full life as a 'respectable' adult.

One by one he explores Tolkien fans (visiting both Oxford and New Zealand), pen and paper roleplaying, LARPs, historical recreation, fantasy conventions and video gaming, touching on a few other topics along the way (wargaming, cosplay, etc.) As he touches each subject he gives some history, recounts his experiences and interviews other adults about how they fit fantasy into their own lives in both positive and negative ways. He doesn't just go and observe, he takes part and lives the life for a while, spending two weeks in garb with the SCA during Pennsic, LARPing, playing D&D, and so on. He really nailed the history, feel and motivations behind most of the activities (although he was off the mark a few times in the chapters on video gaming.) He gives his revelation, then moves on.

It was a great read, and there were many moments that had me looking at my own life as a near-40s (I'm 39) parent with a penchant for fantasy, examining the role that fantasy has played in it, both as a child and as an adult, as well as how I present it to my own kids (who play RPGs and boardgames right along with me.) I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and was envious of the author's quest - he met some great people and visited some amazing places.

The only thing that I found a letdown was the end. I wasn't entirely certain what conclusion he had come to (although his activities since have certainly been full of fantasy fandom.) I think, perhaps, that he wrote the ending too soon after the experience. Had he given his 'quest' more time to sink in, given it time to digest, he may have been better able to communicate why he chose to integrate fantasy so deeply into his life.

Still, it was a very good book, and I've got a better understanding of myself after having read it. That alone is enough to recommend it to fans of fantasy, or to whose who want a better understanding of a friend or loved one who is.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Star Trek: Countdown

The comic prequel to the Star Trek reboot that tells you why Nero is so pissed off.

A quick little read, being that it's the four issues of the comic collected in hardcover format.

I picked it up off of the Half Price Books used bookstore network along with some other books that I've been wanting to backfill my collection.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Finished Scoundrels (Star Wars) by Timothy Zahn - It's Oceans 11 staged between Episodes IV and V. The premise is good but there's just too much 'smart moves' and planning that goes on behind the scenes as to make it very meh. I also saw the twist at the end of the book coming a mile away so not sure why all the folks on Amazon are all up in arms.

It's an ok book if you're not expecting much.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

King of Vodka - The Story of Pyotr Smirnov by Linda Himelstein :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

It's nice when a compelling story coincides with an interesting period of history. Typically, we learn about history by reviewing notable events that describe a period, war, regime, etc. Often missing, however, are the smaller stories of individuals, families, and businesses who ride out the ever-changing tides of time.

A portion of The King of Vodka is the rags-to-riches story of founder Pytor Smirnov, The son of a freed serf, the future Vodka King worked as an apprentice for an uncle before establishing a business with the aid of his father, who endeavored to join the merchant class. As the business grew, Smirnov increased his visibility among Moscow society by contributing to civic and religious institutions. He had his eye on the prize: certification by the office of the Tsar himself as official "purveyor," a status that wasn't lightly given to unknown applicants.

Pytor's story isn't the half of it though. We learn much about Russian history in this period leading up the revolution. Right about the time of Pytor's death, the government moved to take over the liquor business as a government monopoly, devastating companies such as Smirnov's, who had to rely on less popular, less profitable libations to stay afloat. The family maintained their upper-class connections, and when the communists swept in and did away with the aristocracy, some of the family was forced to flee the country under penalty of death. Capitalist ties were enough to get one executed under Papa Joe's rise.

Still, the company, or the idea of it, did not die. The Smirnov family still controlled the rights to the name and manufacturing formulas. Attempts to license production throughout Europe were of little financial gain, and one of Pytor's son's, Vladimir, who in his younger days abandon the vodka business for pursuits in entertainment and self-indulgence, was the unlikely savior of the brand. Shortly before his own death, Vladimir made a deal with another Russian ex-pat, this one living in the US. While traction was slow to come and interrupted by World War II, clever marketing propelled the brand to become the most popular spirit in the United States, generating billions of dollars per year in income. Of course, nothing in business is quite so clean; when Vladimir made his arrangements (rights that were subsequently sold), he did so without the consent of everyone who held shares in the Smirnov name. Much litigation ensued, and at least some of the Smirnov decedents are again involved in the brand.

How the company and principle characters reacted to the shifting political and social climates is the key story, however. Himelstein does a great job educating us about these shifting climates, the prime causes, and how the company anticipated and prepared for unfavorable outcomes. Anyone interested in history of this period will find it of interest; that it's about an alcohol concern is of little consequence as the author makes no attempt to aggrandize the liquor industry in particular. Vodka's prominence in Russia, for better or worse, makes it an effective tool to convey this remarkable story, however.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Why Air Forces Fail: The Anatomy of Defeat Edited by Robin Higham, Stephen J. Harris

This is a collection of essays by historians about the failure of various air forces over the 20th century. While the highlights that most people know about from the major players in WWII, it also covers some of the lesser known failures from the Second World War. For modern times, it covers the Argentines in the Falklands and the Arab Air Forces.

It was a much deeper treatise than most light histories, and a good addition to the library. It has plenty of depth in terms of recommended reading and deeper investigations into the organizations listed.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jeff V wrote:Who I Am - A Memoir by Pete Townshend :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:

The now duo (and supporting cast) was recently here putting on a live version of Quadrophenia, a show I saw back in the '90's. They seemed to be a little long in the tooth then, although a year or two earlier I saw Townshend put on a brilliant solo show. Their place as a historic musical icon is secure, but my generation (those of us who failed to die before we got old), do like our nostalgia. I'm not sure I'd risk tarnishing my still-vivid imagery of their high-powered shows with the modern incarnation, however.
Quad is my favorite all time album and I was disappointed in 90s version at MSG. This time they really did it justice. It may have been my favorite Who show yet. Townshend really shined.
Jeff V wrote:If you've enjoyed the music of The Who and are at least a little intrigued on what goes on behind the scenes during the storied career of a superstar, you'll find this fascinating. There is plenty of intrigue, double-dealing, high tragedy and, of course, shameless affairs to keep tabloid fans happy. There is also material to interest the music historian -- how Townshend became an early adopter of the synthesizer and incorporated it into the band's music profile to the point where once can scarcely imagine them without it. The story of The Who, and the story of Pete Townshend, is an epic tale. Someone should make a (rock) opera out of it.
Nice write up of the book. Not much I can add other than to strongly recommend it as well. I knew Pete was a prolific writer, but he grabbed me from the beginning and I couldn't put it down.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Recently finished The Big Short, by Michael Lewis. Michael Lewis (of Moneyball fame), before he became an author, worked on Wall Street for a few years - I want to say at Salomon Brothers. His first big book was Liar's Poker, about his time there (and about Wall Street excess more generally). This book is a kind of spiritual sequel of sorts, but focused specifically on the financial crisis, how it happened, and the actors involved.

It's a terrific book. He's a great writer, and he does a great job boiling down what can be complicated financial products into concise, easy to understand terminology. It's very entertaining, and a great way to get up to speed on the origin of the 2008 crash.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have yet to finish a book this year, although I am getting close. I read about 10-12 a year, a mix of various types.

How do some of you read so many books so quickly? Do you speed read, do you "listen" to the books?

I read at the gym and at home, but between PC gaming every night (still playing Skyrim) and being a father/husband I don't get a lot of reading time.

How do you guys do it?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mine are all text. I generally read most of them at night before bed. A reading session can easily turn into an hour if I'm gripped by it. My pace is a little over two per month over the year, but on a monthly basis, it's quicker. I usually hit a lull at some point in the year where my pace slows down for a month or two.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I read while commuting on public transit, and during all my breaks at work, which adds up to about 2.5 hours 5 days/week.

If I'm in the mood to play games at home, then I read less (sometimes lots less), but spending leisure time reading can add up to lots more time. I don't watch TV at all.

I don't have to do parent stuff, and have a very low-maintenance mate.

I'm also fairly fast at parsing text, though not anything close to a speedreader (which I think detracts from reading for pleasure, as my understanding is it's mostly a tool for absorbing self-help/business books quickly).

Non-fiction usually takes me longer to process, but I can read a popcorn-y novel in a day, easily.

I'd basically say that if a person wants to read more, then they have to prioritize it. If you've got limited time for solitary pursuits, and you want to spend a big chunk of it playing games, then you're obviously not going to chew through as many books as if you spent more of that time reading. But it should be about whatever you like doing with that time, and if that's gaming, there's nothing wrong with just reading 10-12 books a year.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Jag

Post by Jag »

Isgrimnur wrote:Mine are all text. I generally read most of them at night before bed. A reading session can easily turn into an hour if I'm gripped by it.
About the same. Except a really good book can have me reading for 1-2 hours which is usually around 1am. A little too late for this tired 44yr old.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm reading my Kindle during the day. If I try at night, it's lights out. I'm good for about 30-60 minutes a day, but it's usually in 15 minute clips. There's definitely an element of choosing the right book and mixing it up with fiction and non-fiction. Last year's effort of re-reading the entire Dark Tower series was probably the limit of my current ability and it still took me 8 months to accomplish. Slow and steady...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

I read on the Stairmaster at the gym, so that's 30 minutes. Then I read during lunch for another 20 or so. I pick up my boys at 3:25 after school, and the parking situation is such that I try to arrive before 3, so that's another half hour or more. Then I usually read for 30-60 minutes in bed at night.

All this literary free time comes courtesy of part-time employment.

(Also, with nonfiction I sometimes skim the less interesting parts.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I don't feel like I read especially fast, but I read for 60-90 minutes pretty much every single night before bed. I read about two books a month, give or take. Sometimes a bit less than that if they're especially long or dense or if I don't get to read for some reason.

I also read aloud to my family about 3-4 nights a week for about 40 minutes each, so that also accounts for some of my extra reading. It usually takes us a month or so to read a typical novel.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I read on my iPad when I need to give my eyes a rest from PC games, when I'm waiting for my wife and a little for a break each night. Many times, I stay up late reading and operate on 6 hours sleep. I don't watch much TV or movies anymore.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Alan_Bernardo

Post by Alan_Bernardo »

I might as well chime in here.

I do work a day job. So what I essentially do is read two hours a night Monday-Thursday. Friday through Sunday I read four hours a day. I have the latest Kindle and a bunch of actual books, in the traditional sense.

I probably read about 40 books a year.

I usually read nonfiction. Though this year I've read The Corrections, The Last of the Mohicans, and Tar Baby so far. The Corrections is one of my all-time favorite novels, one that I've read twice.

For nonfiction so far I've read Empire of Liberty and am currently reading What Hath God Wrought. Both are very good books and are a part of the Oxford History of the United States.

Last year I spent a few months on reading about the French in Vietnam and America's early entry into the war.

Try also reading The Leftovers. It's a nice piece of fiction. So too is The Devil in Silver.

Last year also I read a few months on the naval war during WWI.

Later,

Alan
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Odin wrote:I don't feel like I read especially fast, but I read for 60-90 minutes pretty much every single night before bed. I read about two books a month, give or take. Sometimes a bit less than that if they're especially long or dense or if I don't get to read for some reason.

I also read aloud to my family about 3-4 nights a week for about 40 minutes each, so that also accounts for some of my extra reading. It usually takes us a month or so to read a typical novel.
What kind of stuff do you read? And who are you reading to?
Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

Scuzz wrote:
Odin wrote:I don't feel like I read especially fast, but I read for 60-90 minutes pretty much every single night before bed. I read about two books a month, give or take. Sometimes a bit less than that if they're especially long or dense or if I don't get to read for some reason.

What kind of stuff do you read? And who are you reading to?
Well, lessee... over the last couple of years, we've read:
Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Rick Riordan) - the full series of five or six books
The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) - the trilogy
Harry Potter (J. K. Rowling) - the seven-book series
The Hobbit (J. R. R. Tolkien)
Hatchet (Gary Paulsen)
Horns & Wrinkles (Joseph Helgerson)
Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)
To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) - current

These are read to my wife, my 13-year-old daughter, my 11-year-old son, and my 8-year old son. I generally try to do unique theatrical voices for each character, which adds to the fun for me (and may or may not for my family - I haven't asked). All of the kids (and the wife) have their own novels that they're reading at their own pace (my 11-year-old generally has two or three going at a time. Plus a non-fiction or two), but these are what we read as a family. They don't always listen with rapt attention (depends on the kid and the book), but if we all agree on a book then I do require them to listen. and pay some attention even if they may be playing quietly or sewing or something at the same time. In general, they've all enjoyed and appreciated each book we've read so far.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I read to my kids until they were about 10 or so. I think I read the first two Harry Potter books to my oldest before she realized she could read them faster herself. I read a little longer to my youngest as she has (which we hadn't discovered at the time) dyslexia.
Black Lives Matter
Odin

Post by Odin »

Scuzz wrote:I read to my kids until they were about 10 or so. I think I read the first two Harry Potter books to my oldest before she realized she could read them faster herself. I read a little longer to my youngest as she has (which we hadn't discovered at the time) dyslexia.
Yeah, we've actually always read to the kids, really. Just not necessarily as formally as this. We started with Dr. Seuss and Sandra Boynton or whether and just kind of stuck with it. I think my wife started the current trend with Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book about three years ago, and then I took over and we've just kind of gone from there. It's 50% reading and 50% family bonding time.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Nice.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

We read to our kids, too, even though both can read on their own.

This summer we did The Hobbit (for the second time), and now my 9-year-old is reading it by himself. We've also done the entire Lord of the Rings this fall and winter by a combination of family reading and books-on-CD during long car trips.

My wife wants to try some Charles Dickens, but I don't think my six-year-old is the best audience for that yet.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Holman wrote:We read to our kids, too, even though both can read on their own.

This summer we did The Hobbit (for the second time), and now my 9-year-old is reading it by himself. We've also done the entire Lord of the Rings this fall and winter by a combination of family reading and books-on-CD during long car trips.

My wife wants to try some Charles Dickens, but I don't think my six-year-old is the best audience for that yet.
I can't see a 6 year old sitting still for Charles Dickens.
Black Lives Matter
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Finished Hammered: The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne

I really like Hearne's writing style. He mixes in action, humor and a good storyline very well. In this book though, it's almost like he jumped the shark. I guess I'll have to wait and see what occurs in the next book.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daring Young Men: The Heroism and Triumph of The Berlin Airlift-June 1948-May 1949

An excellent view of the Airlift, the powers behind it, and the people that flew it and benefited from it.

One of the interesting things that I gleaned from it was that East Berlin was industrially dependent on West Berlin for materials to keep their factories running. Stalin had been led to believe that East Germany and East Berlin were self sufficient, and would suffer no ill effects from their blockade. While the impacts to West Berlin were far and away the worst, The Russians were in no position to keep East Berlin functioning during the counter blockade imposed by the Allies.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Make the Break (If You Can) by Reginald Exton :binky: :binky:

It seems Dr. Reginald Exton, a 50-year veteran physicist with NASA, set out to create a book (more like an essay) to woo those sitting on the ecclesiastical fence between religion and secular humanism (aka Atheism). In this treatise he invokes the likes of Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens. The reader would do well to go straight to those sources -- each will provide a far greater treatment of the subject than Exton has done in Make the Break (If You Can).

Exton lacks focus in pursuing the topic of his essay. He attempts to describe the development of religion among prehistoric man; and then summarizes the world-view of major religions such as Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, and Buddhism. All of these should be studied in their own right and there are many fine books on the subject, information provided here is trivial at best. Exton then attempts supplant these mystical ideologies with fact-based scientific ideology. Again, the aforementioned authors all do a much better job. Often. Exton targets proponents of "Intelligent Design," and while occasionally mocking their utter lack of factual basis, he rarely attempts to present their views before he ostensibly tries to bring them down.

This book could have been a side-by-side debate presenting each side, which the ID arguments, lacking substance, would lose on every point. Distilling material already provided by Dawkins, Hitchens, and I'll add Carl Sagan could provide a concise, compelling document that accomplishes what Exton sets out to do. This book won't push anyone off the fence...it won't even ruffle their hair. The Secular Humanists certainly could use more advocates...the message is strong, there is no need for a such a weak treatment like we have here.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I finished "Theft of Swords" and enjoyed it.

Next up - "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. I saw this on a Kindle deal, right when it was released, but had never heard of it. Read a review of it in EW a few days later, but then, had obviously missed the sale. Then over the holiday sales season, the hardback went on sale for like $5 or under, so I picked it up.

After, I might change gears and read some non-fiction. Or I might go back and read more Wool or Riyria stuff. And "A Dance with Dragons" still looms sometime ahead.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Finished Redshirts by John Scalzi. Have to say that I didn't really like it. The premise is fun, but really thin, and it's obvious he couldn't write a whole book out of it and so it ends really abruptly. Would have wished to have more on the characters beyond what they did to see how their lives improved. Instead, it switches to short stories from the point of view of those lives that were affected, changing the tense and changing between 1st person to 3rd person depending on the story. Felt like "Oh, what do I do now?" filler material to get it up to a reasonable page count.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finished:

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

Definitely MOTS, but when Nicomo Cosca, The Bloody Nine and Caul Shivers are at the party, that's a very good thing.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Woot! But more thoughts on this later.

Working on:

The Difference Engine by Gibson & Sterling

Started this about 20 years ago and recently found it in the garage - still holds up!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Last edited by malchior on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.