Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

Batsquatch Hazy IPA by Rogue Ales, Bedford, OR. Rogue has a good track record with me, but it's been awhile since I've anything new from them. This opaque beer is fruity with flavors of apricot and mango, a nice mellow beer. At only 6.8% ABV, this one can easily replace your breakfast juice.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hazy Memory IPA by Lagunitas Brewing, Chicago,IL/Petaluma, CA. A very complimentary follow-up to the Rogue beer, the juiciness is less nectar-like and the ABV is a more reasonable 8%. It's a limited release, and while unfiltered it's not nearly as opaque as the Rogue beer. No chunks.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just liked the label, and they were out of Bunnies so I thought I'd try something else from Lamplighter. Hazy and juicy, the name probably comes from Galaxy hops. The brewer says it's "Bowie inspired." Okay then. Will buy again, although it's more of a summer beer.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Doubled-Up DIPA by Revision Brewing Co., Sparks, NY. I took the kids to Flight Bottle Shop after a visit to the library (something that's starting to become once-every-3 weeks habit), and after adding a 4-pack of pounders to my tab, I noticed a sign on a table stating that all beers on that able were 20% off/6. This was a normally $10/6 table, so $8.

I need to stop back in and see if they are still running this special and if they still have more of this beer. A very nicely balanced bitter (75 IBU), piney but not resinous, and 8.0% ABV. This a beer that does everything just right without being over the top in any aspect.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hey Flap! Midwest IPA by Riverlands Brewing Co., St. Charles, IL. I work in St. Charles 3x per week...methinks I need arrange for a "honey I have to work late" night. This is a nicely balanced, moderately sweet IPA with a bitter finish but is yet not especially fruity. 7.2% ABV sold in reasonably priced pounders, I'd buy a can of this again, although I'm more interested in checking out the source.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

White Light Apricot Witbier by Middle Brow Brewing, Chicago. 5.1% Belgian style dreck. 'nuff said. Too sour to get much apricot flavor.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:06 pm White Light Apricot Witbier by Middle Brow Brewing, Chicago. 5.1% Belgian style dreck. 'nuff said. Too sour to get much apricot flavor.
I assume you didn't buy that.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There was a sale rack at the bottle shop. I must not have had my reading glasses on, I thought it said apricot wheat beer. :oops: I totally missed the "Belgian style" subtext.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oro de Tontos by Greenbush Brewing, Chicago? That's what the can says, anyway, although their website assures me they are still in Sawyer, Michigan where I visited them a few months ago. Mexican style lager isn't something I'd normally get, but it's Greenbush, and it was cheap. A slight honey flavor mellows out any astringency found in the likes of Corona and it's ilk. And I appreciate that. At only 4.5% ABV, you might as well drink this if the water ain't potable.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:31 pm Oro de Tontos by Greenbush Brewing, Chicago? That's what the can says, anyway, although their website assures me they are still in Sawyer, Michigan where I visited them a few months ago. Mexican style lager isn't something I'd normally get, but it's Greenbush, and it was cheap. A slight honey flavor mellows out any astringency found in the likes of Corona and it's ilk. And I appreciate that. At only 4.5% ABV, you might as well drink this if the water ain't potable.
As your attorney, I recommend you take that beer and use it for a breakfast michelada...remember that you start the day thirsty.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I had to look that up. i have a jalapeno beer in the walk-in beer cooler (Bent River). Tomato juice in beer sounds horrible, although people from Kansas used to try to convince me otherwise. I use lime for two things: keeping avocados from turning brown when I make guacamole and key lime pie, the best of all pies. Keep it away from my drinks, please.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:43 pm I had to look that up. i have a jalapeno beer in the walk-in beer cooler (Bent River). Tomato juice in beer sounds horrible, although people from Kansas used to try to convince me otherwise. I use lime for two things: keeping avocados from turning brown when I make guacamole and key lime pie, the best of all pies. Keep it away from my drinks, please.
You never started your day with a Bloody Mary? Same idea but with beer.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been trying to get people to buy into the idea of a michelada for like 10+ years. No one - and I mean no one - has been interested. Maybe I'll start a new Xmas morning tradition!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:10 pm You never started your day with a Bloody Mary? Same idea but with beer.
Only once on a golf outing. One dude had too many, fell out a moving golf cart and shattered his ankle. It didn't set right and had to be re-broken.

Vodka makes more sense than beer. Since I try not to drink shitty beer, it seems like it would be a waste of good beer to add pollutants to it.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:32 pm I've been trying to get people to buy into the idea of a michelada for like 10+ years. No one - and I mean no one - has been interested. Maybe I'll start a new Xmas morning tradition!
Southwest and American are based out of DFW. Come on down, and you can edumacate me. I'm sure plenty of the locals will hoist a glass with you.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:43 pm walk-in beer cooler

Soooo... the garage?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:29 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:43 pm walk-in beer cooler

Soooo... the garage?
:horse:

It generally malfunctions from sometime in April through sometime in October. There's also those occasional days/weeks where it turns into a blast freeze and destroys everything not removed in time.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:28 pmSouthwest and American are based out of DFW. Come on down, and you can edumacate me. I'm sure plenty of the locals will hoist a glass with you.
My FIL lives just outside of Dallas (I think within striking distance to Fretmute, actually) so it's not an unreasonable request - particularly since you got your Ebola under control.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you like boardgames or miniatures, we have you covered.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:32 pm I've been trying to get people to buy into the idea of a michelada for like 10+ years. No one - and I mean no one - has been interested. Maybe I'll start a new Xmas morning tradition!
I don't understand the resistance, they are delicious! I think you've talked me into making them this year. Usually we drink White Russians made with eggnog.
mori

Post by mori »

Got sick off of beer mixed with tomato juice 30 years ago. Have not gotten near the combination since.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

* Note: I am not actually drinking this.
mori

Post by mori »

Three Floyds LizardSnake IPA. Stupid name, stupid label, and ultimately stupid beer. I do give them credit for releasing a proper bitter IPA, but the orange flavored hops did not do it for me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:08 pm Enlarge Image

* Note: I am not actually drinking this.
What a horrible way to spoil perfectly good clam juice.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Sloop Brewing's Confliction, a dry-hopped sour ale. Tasty, interesting, and easy-drinking. I'm a big fan of this style of beer.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Working for the Weekend DIPA by Spiteful Brewing, Chicago. Harsher than most DIPAs, this is a quite bitter beer. Which I like just fine, just don't expect any hints of juiciness. At 7.9% and sold in pounders, it could pack a little more bang for the buck, but that quibble is minor.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Flying Monkeys Sparklepuff Tripple IPA, clocking in at 10.2%, which I assume would barely be JeffV approved.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Had an hour to kill between shopping and fetching the boy from school, so my daughter and I stopped at Flight for a few.

Hops in a Can by Revision Brewing, Sparks, NV. A NEIPA, it's not overly juicy. The flavor overall is pretty mild, but the 10.5% ABV is good. Had on tap, not in a can.

Joe Daddy Stout by Pig Minds Brewing, Machesney Park, IL. A different beer was on the printed menu, I ordered by number instead of name, so I was surprised to get a stout when I ordered something else. It's a decent beer, if unremarkable. 8.5% ABV

C.S.E. Space Crystals by Lil Beaver Brewing, Bloomington, IL. New England style DIPA, this had a nice mild flavor, not as rich as I expect DIPAs to be though. I was running out of time and had to settle for a 5 oz sample of this one. 8.6% ABV.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jeff V wrote:Had an hour to kill between shopping and fetching the boy from school, so my daughter and I stopped at Flight for a few.

Hops in a Can by Revision Brewing, Sparks, NV. A NEIPA, it's not overly juicy. The flavor overall is pretty mild, but the 10.5% ABV is good. Had on tap, not in a can.

Joe Daddy Stout by Pig Minds Brewing, Machesney Park, IL. A different beer was on the printed menu, I ordered by number instead of name, so I was surprised to get a stout when I ordered something else. It's a decent beer, if unremarkable. 8.5% ABV

C.S.E. Space Crystals by Lil Beaver Brewing, Bloomington, IL. New England style DIPA, this had a nice mild flavor, not as rich as I expect DIPAs to be though. I was running out of time and had to settle for a 5 oz sample of this one. 8.6% ABV.
Yeah but what did you have to drink?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:53 pm Yeah but what did you have to drink?
Most of what I bought I had to take home. They needed to spend the night in the walk-in beer cooler.

The first of the DYO six pack is Death by Viking by Solemn Oath Brewing Co., Naperville, IL. I like Solemn Oath's beers, although they tend to be unmemorable. It's a local brewery, and frequently their beers are the best offering at nearby restaurants. Death by Viking is the first premium offering of theirs I've had. Dubbed "American Imperial IPA" it certainly has more oomph than your typical APA (10% ABV, sold in pounders). Flavor-wise it has a clean finish, no cloying fruitiness and the bitterness doesn't destroy your taste buds. All in all a fine effort, I would drink it again but the price is in the $20/4 pack range, meaning it will probably be a long time until I revisit it.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

This tastes like Christmas potpourri. It's horrid. Still going to finish it though....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

fjoggy fjords by Marz Brewery, Chicago, IL. Another local beer from a brewer I've not heard of before, this was expensive ($5/can. 12 oz). It styles itself as a "Nordic Style IPA". I am unaware of the vikings ever venturing to India, but ok, whatever. This beer produced more head than any I've had in years. The flavor was pleasant, mild in all categories. At only 7% ABV though, it's way overpriced for what it is.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Nice Pair of Slacks by Central State, Indianapolis, IN. A "brut style IPA", this super dry beer does not allow flavor to linger on your palate. The hops hit vanishes before it can even be characterized or identified. At 8% ABV, it's apparent market is those who don't really like beer but are ok with the idea of a beer buzz. A 4 -pack of pounders will get them there eventually.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holiday Cheer by Spoetzl Brewery, Shiner, TX. Last year, a beertender recommended the Shiner holiday beer they recently put on tap. It was good, but I've not had a pleasant experience with bottled Shiner beers in the past. At $11/12, I couldn't resist. I brought a 12 to a party last weekend, and it got immediately drunk (and not all by me!) This beer is a dark brown color, but is brewed with peaches and that's the dominant flavor (to the exclusion of anything else). It's more like peach nectar since it's only 5.4%, but I do like it. It was not a sell-out at my recent party, but it's a toss-up between this and Celebration Ale for something to bring on upcoming parties on Presents Day and Presents Day Eve.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wand DIPA by Half Acre Beer Co., Chicago. Half Acre always puts out a solid product, if not especially memorable ones. This is a nicely balanced DIPA that delivers a 8.0% punchline. Sold in pounders, I have neither reason to buy this again nor reason not to.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Mountain Traffic, a hoppy red ale by Crux Fermentation Project.

A beer that remembers beer is more than hop juice.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ryeway to Heaven by Revolution Brewing, Chicago. You might call this rye with beerish overtones. At 15% ABV, it's an outstanding session beer, especially if consumed in large steins. But I have to admit, it didn't taste much like a beer. But if you like rye...
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wild Bill's IPA by B.B.G.B.Brewing, North Aurora, IL. Another nearby brewery I know nothing about. Can claims "home grown hops." Someone should tell them to use the buds, not the roots. 8.5% somewhat saves it, but I won't buy it again. This has been the 4th beer in recent weeks that tastes of dirt and it's a trend I don't like at all.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Curb Check Hazy Carrot Cake IPA by Black Lung Brewing, Waukegan, IL. Brewed with carrots and spices, initially it really did seem like carrot cake in beer form, but they overdid the spices, particular the clove which toasted my palate before I was even halfway done with the pounder. The Madagascar vanilla bean ostensibly used was undetectable. I love carrot cake, but this needed more vanilla and a little sweetness to offset the harsh spices. Close, but it's no. At only 7% ABV, it doesn't even serve a good dessert beer.
Black Lives Matter