Randy Newman

"What?" picks:
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Procol Harum
The Marvelettes
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Chic
Kraftwerk

I know this list is so subjective, but each year I wonder what criteria is used when coming up with nominees. If you said Joan Jett as an individual I wouldn't agree, but I could understand the argument. Nominating Joan Jett and the Blackhearts makes no sense. They didn't have many hits and there music wasn't that unique. These lists just seem like either "Hey, I remember that band/person" or "they had one or two hits." Does this mean Fine Young Cannibals will be nominated in another ten years?

And if they are going to include acts that have nothing to do with Rock and Roll, why call it the Rock and Roll HOF?
Jag

Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - 2013 Nominees

Post by Jag »

McNutt wrote:And they are:
Rush
Holy crap. After all this time it was almost a mark of pride how they ignored a band that has been so successful for so many years. I wonder how the boys will react. Probably with the same quiet humility and humor they always seem to have. Regardless, the HOF is still a piss stain.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Deep Purple isn't in yet?

The Rock-N-Roll HoF is a joke.
Black Lives Matter
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Kraftwerk
Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Nickelback got snubbed AGAIN. :evil:
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

YellowKing wrote:Nickelback got snubbed AGAIN. :evil:
Jesus Lord please tell me you forgot to put a wink or smiley. PLEASE!!!
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Jag wrote:
Rush
Holy crap. After all this time it was almost a mark of pride how they ignored a band that has been so successful for so many years. I wonder how the boys will react. Probably with the same quiet humility and humor they always seem to have. Regardless, the HOF is still a piss stain.
This is shocking. I can't believe they aren't in already. What a joke.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

If you want a major snub by the Rock and Roll hall of Fame, look no further than The Guess Who. They charted 20 Billboard hits during their career and had 6 top ten hits. Of course American Woman and No Sugar Tonite made it to #1. Seeing some of the groups that have been enshrined I have to wonder what their criteria is, because it sure seems that The Guess Who has some fairly impressive credentials.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Jag

Post by Jag »

bb2112 wrote:
Jag wrote:
Rush
Why, just because things like:
Rush has 22 consecutive gold records, and is fourth behind the Beatles, Stones, and Kiss in all-time gold records for a band. Fourteen of those albums have gone platinum.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think Public Enemy fits. Their music production straddled rock music enough in my opinion. I think NWA is the one out of place in a Rock and Roll hall of fame. Their stuff was groundbreaking but definitely rap all the way.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Jag wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
Jag wrote:
Rush
Why, just because things like:
Rush has 22 consecutive gold records, and is fourth behind the Beatles, Stones, and Kiss in all-time gold records for a band. Fourteen of those albums have gone platinum.
I would like to point out that Kiss is not in either, which is a complete joke. Kiss is Rock and Roll, sure for the most part their music sucks, but they are so rock and roll that it doesn't matter, people still buy their albums and show up at their concerts.
FTE
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rush is rock and roll from the glory days of rock and roll.

I'm not even a huge fan and even I can see that this should have been a no-brainer a decade ago, if not more.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some guy posted 40 bands not in the HoF in 2011..

http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/ ... ame-14055/" target="_blank
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If there's only 40 not in the HoF, that truly is a travesty.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

NWA had too much attitude and has no business being in the Rock N Roll HOF.

KISS wasn't that good. There. I said it. Yeah, I know some of their shitty songs, but there really wasn't much talent there and the music wasn't that good. A phenomenon? Yes, but definitely not good. At least they gave us Mini KISS.

Rush not being in the HOF is a disgrace. Who the fuck votes for these people? What a travesty.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki
The most frequent criticism of the Hall of Fame is that the nomination process is controlled by a few individuals who are not themselves musicians, such as founder Jann Wenner (who has filled the position of managing editor for Rolling Stone magazine), former foundation director Suzan Evans, and writer Dave Marsh, reflecting their personal tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole. A former member of the nominations board once commented that "At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist...I saw how certain pioneering artists of the '50s and early '60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in '70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Wait. Forget Rush. Screamin' Jay Hawkins isn't in?????

Shame on you, hall of fame. Shame.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

I don't know for the life of me WHY groups that aren't "rock & roll" get nominated and inducted into the R&R HOF.

When did Public Enemy and NWA move from the RAP genre to rock & roll?

Chic is now a rock & roll group, Kraftwerk is rock? Donna Summer, the ALL-TIME QUEEN of Disco is now rock?
Blasphemy!!!

I could go on and on with group after group that aren't rock & roll, but it's pointless. Just like the R&R HOF.

If they would have just named the damn building the MUSIC HOF I'd have no problem with non-rock groups
being nominated and inducted.