Flu Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Flu Season

Post by Isgrimnur »

And spending four days sequestered with a bunch of gamers from around the country isn't likely to help matters.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got my shot last Wednesday.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Already had it. :cry:

At least I will hopefully not have to deal with it again this season.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Got my shot on Sunday. The guy who administered it talked the whole time about how skeptical he is that they do any good. When I suggested that a 30% chance of protection is better than 0%, he supposed maybe.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't feel a thing this year and it never got sore either.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ABC 11
- You may want to give this a shot: Participants have the chance to get paid to intentionally get infected with the flu--specifically the H1N1 virus.

Researchers with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) will pay healthy adults up to $3,300 to participate in the study.

Researchers want to closely monitor the symptoms of H1N1 to better understand how the virus works and how to control it.

NIH is only accepting 80 people in the study. To enroll, participants must be between 18 to 49 years old.
There are four trial sites in total including Durham's very own Duke University, Saint Louis University Center for Vaccine Development in Missouri and Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center in Ohio.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The VA told me they don't give you the shot if you have a fever.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:20 pm The VA told me they don't give you the shot if you have a fever.
The CDC disagrees. The only mention of fever is regarding the nasal spray, and even then, it's a "talk to your doctor" thing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If that was near me and I had no pets to love and care for Id do it for $3,000.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:26 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:20 pm The VA told me they don't give you the shot if you have a fever.
The CDC disagrees. The only mention of fever is regarding the nasal spray, and even then, it's a "talk to your doctor" thing.
Regardless of CDC's recommendations, most providers will not vaccinate you if you have a fever. It can reduce the efficacy of the vaccine - if your immune system is already fighting off an infection, it may be too busy to produce sufficient flu antibodies. Also, if you have possible side effects from the vaccine, they don't want to guess whether the symptoms are from the side effects or from whatever illness you already had going in.

(I work for a company that makes employee health software for hospitals, so I get to see lots of hospital policies)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What's the policy on substituting insulin for flu vaccine?

People
Ten people at a group care facility in Oklahoma were hospitalized after they were mistakenly injected with insulin instead of the flu shot.

Eight of the people were patients at Jacquelyn House, a group home for adults with intellectual disabilities, and the other two were staff members.

When the police arrived at Jacquelyn House they “found not one unresponsive person, but multiple unresponsive people,” Bartlesville Police Chief Tracy Roles said in a press conference, according to KTUL.

“All these people are symptomatic, lying on the ground, needing help, but can’t communicate what they need. That’s why I give a lot of praise to the fire and EMS staff for doing an outstanding job of identifying the problem,” she said.

The pharmacist who administered the shots was a contractor hired to give the patients and staff the flu shot, and has practiced for 40 years, News on 6 reported.

“At some point, and we don’t know how it happened yet, the vial that contained the flu vaccine was traded out for a vile containing what we believe to be insulin,” Roles said.
First responders on the scene said that many of the patients had extremely low blood sugar, and all were sent to the hospital. According to News on 6, they have all been treated and will be released soon.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:10 pm What's the policy on substituting insulin for flu vaccine?
Random, randomness.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

:catfight: :clap:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:doh:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean, it makes more sense here but things were moving pretty quick this morning. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was keeping up with the whole "gassing the coworkers" thing, but missed the start of the flu vaccine discussion.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
The U.S. winter flu season is off to its earliest start in more than 15 years.

An early barrage of illness in the South has begun to spread more broadly, and there’s a decent chance flu season could peak much earlier than normal, health officials say.
There are different types of flu viruses, and the one causing illnesses in most parts of the country is a surprise. It’s a version that normally doesn’t abound until March or April.

That virus generally isn’t as dangerous to older people — good news, since most flu hospitalizations and deaths each winter occur in the elderly. However, such viruses can be hard on children and people younger than 50.
Health officials tend to consider a flu season to be officially underway when — for at least three weeks in a row — a significant percentage of U.S. doctor’s office visits are due to flu-like illnesses. That’s now happened, CDC officials said this week.

The agency on Friday estimated that there have already been 1.7 million flu illnesses, 16,000 hospitalizations, and 900 flu-related deaths nationally.

The most intense patient traffic had been occurring in a six states stretching from Texas to Georgia. But in new numbers released Friday, CDC officials said the number of states with intense activity rose last week to 12. Flu is widespread in 16 states, though not necessarily at intense levels in each, the CDC said.