Tell me what to watch, I need a new TV show.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: Tell me what to watch, I need a new TV show.

Post by em2nought »

Southland when it comes back in 2013, won't do you much good now though.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

Suits, Mad Men, Community, Covert Affairs are all excellent (Covert Affairs being slightly behind the other three). Suits is very formulaic (and is a typical USA show - watch Burn Notice and Suits back to back and you'll be struck by all the similarities in structure) but the leads are just so damn well casted and well written that you hardly notice. It reminds me of the writing of the West Wing. Every 10 seconds someone says something great. The play between the two main characters is fantastic.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I like most of the same shows you do, and I've been really enjoying Hell on Wheels on AMC. It's currently about 4 episodes into season 2.
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

I'm back! :D

Watched Mad Men. LOVED it. Absolutely fantastic. Great storytelling.

Just finishing up Hell on Wheels now. I like it and can't wait to see where they go with it.

Tried Falling Skies, didn't make it past episode five, but I'll give it another go when I'm ready.

Now I have to pick something new... hmm. I'm currently shuffling between Suits, Farscape or maybe Life on Mars?

P.S. I've seen and enjoyed Sherlock, Arrested Development, Dollhouse.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I guess I missed this thread the first time around, but if you like mystery shows, give Murdoch Mysteries a try. It's a Victorian era mystery show set in Toronto :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Homeland and Dexter are two surprisingly good Showtime series that are well worth renting.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rip

Post by Rip »

Rumpy wrote:I guess I missed this thread the first time around, but if you like mystery shows, give Murdoch Mysteries a try. It's a Victorian era mystery show set in Toronto :)

Just watching the first episode. Happened on it and searched the sight and low and behold I could have known about it already if I read the forum more.

I can't believe people in Toronto are thinking of going to A/C for their street lighting. Don't they know that shit is dangerous.

:D

I keep hoping that damned Tesla did it!

:twisted:
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Mr Robot, first episode online at Youtube among other places. A USA network show, yes USA network of all places.

I highly recommend it. It features an unusual, for US television, lead character. A blend of hacking, urban paranoia, conspiracies, and alienation. Good stuff. Even though it's only one episode I sense this show is going places. It officially starts the 24th.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Rip wrote:
Rumpy wrote:I guess I missed this thread the first time around, but if you like mystery shows, give Murdoch Mysteries a try. It's a Victorian era mystery show set in Toronto :)

Just watching the first episode. Happened on it and searched the sight and low and behold I could have known about it already if I read the forum more.

I can't believe people in Toronto are thinking of going to A/C for their street lighting. Don't they know that shit is dangerous.

:D

I keep hoping that damned Tesla did it!

:twisted:

I've watched 4 episodes now and I am really starting to like this show.

I was pleased to see it goes 78 episodes, so I am looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I really enjoy all the historical figure tie-ins.

edit: ep #5

heroin, really is a wonder drug. :lol:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Glad to see you're enjoying it! I find it often a breath of fresh air. There's actually a 9th season currently in production, currently at 118 episodes. The 78 episodes you're seeing are part of a run when FX Canada owned the rights to the show. Back then, the show had a more limited audience than it does now as FX wasn't available to all markets. When Season 5 ended, they decided they didn't want to continue, and then the CBC jumped in to save it, where it's been airing since the 6th season.

Possibly my favourite episode involves martial arts. Normally, the show doesn't have all that many action scenes, but in this one episode they went all out with an awesome choreographed fight scene that was up there with some of the best Jackie Chan.

Here's a bit of trivia. There were originally a series of 3 TV movies, and Colm Meany played Brackenried and Murdoch was played by Peter Outerbridge. In a nod to this, in its latest season Peter Outerbridge guest-starred as a former mentor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mu ... s_episodes
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I will second Homeland (Showtime) and 5th Community, which is now on Yahoo only, but which somehow, so far, maintained its greatness, even with the loss of some serious talent (at least the first episode on Yahoo, but I assume it only gets better)
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Missed this first time around as well.

Suits is great as are many of the other shows mentioned.

I'm about to start the final season of Sons of Anarchy. I would not normally say a show about an outlaw biker club would interest me, but I saw / heard a lot about it and gave it a shot. I've enjoyed it for the most part, though parts have been kind of ridiculous.

Fair number of well know actors from past / present have recurring roles as well.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Just started watching Louie, it's great!
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Carpet_pissr wrote:and 5th Community, which is now on Yahoo only, but which somehow, so far, maintained its greatness, even with the loss of some serious talent (at least the first episode on Yahoo, but I assume it only gets better)
It does. I just finished Season 6 on yahoo. Fan freaking tastic!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Veronica Mars
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Black Sails - Pirates!!

The Fall - Murderer (Jamie Dornan) and the police (Gillian Anderson) trying to catch him

Homeland - has been mentioned before

House of Cards - Kevin Spacey and the power struggles in American politics

The Newsroom - the name says it, with a great role for Jeff Daniels

True Detective - Very grim and dark series with amazing acting by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson

How to get away with murder - A group of ambitious law students and their brilliant criminal defense professor become involved in a twisted murder plot that promises to change the course of their lives. (IMDB)

Vikings - The adventures of Ragnar Lothbrok: the greatest hero of his age. The series tells the saga of Ragnar's band of Viking brothers and his family

My ranking would be:

1. Vikings
2. True Detective
3. Homeland
4. Black Sails
5. House Of Cards
6. The Newsroom
7. The Fall
8. How to get away with murder
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Americans - They just wrapped off season 3 and it's SOLID both story-wise and just getting in there on practical spycraft with a touch of 80s nostalgia. I can't recommend it enough.

Lost Girl - I'll reiterate Lost Girl just because it is silly fun AND it has a decent narrative arc.

Orphan Black - At least checking out season 1 of Orphan Black from BBC America should be on any list - just to see one of the most impressive performances from an actress in years - and the story is pretty good on top.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Just finished S2 of The Newsroom a couple of days ago. Aaron Sorkin's sometimes-preachy dialog gets on my nerves for being wholly unlike the way people actually speak, but it's always well-written and rapid-fire -- complex, layered stories that challenge you to keep up with them. They only did 3 seasons of 9 episodes so it's a minor time commitment. (I read that Sorkin didn't want to go past 3 seasons because he writes every episode himself, and keeping up a level of excellence was just too intense for too long.)

I was surprised to learn that there is a S3 given the way S2 wrapped everything up. Recommended, especially if you liked The West Wing.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Newsroom season 3 only had 6 episodes. Haven't seen it yet, as I'm not a regular HBO subscriber, but I'll eventually get around to it, as I like Sorkin and enjoyed the first two seasons.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

You're right; I didn't realize that S3 is only two disks. Oh well...after we finish the Newsroom we're going to start Game of Thrones.
Rip

Post by Rip »

OK, just finished up the first 6 season of Murdoch Mysteries.

Now where to find last couple seasons?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Talk to the Canadians.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Speaking of shows, was The Strain ever finished? I watched the first season last summer IIRC.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What do you mean by "finished"? There's a new season coming up, if that helps though.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:What do you mean by "finished"? There's a new season coming up, if that helps though.

Finished as in I have watched all the episodes that I know I have access to. Would like to watch seasons 7 & 8 if I can figure out where I can catch them at.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:
hepcat wrote:What do you mean by "finished"? There's a new season coming up, if that helps though.

Finished as in I have watched all the episodes that I know I have access to. Would like to watch seasons 7 & 8 if I can figure out where I can catch them at.
I was replying to Jeff. :wink:
Covfefe!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Jeff V wrote:Speaking of shows, was The Strain ever finished? I watched the first season last summer IIRC.

The Strain starts up this Sunday nite for season 2
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Finding something to watch has gotten so bad I have been watching old Ellery Queen episodes.. :shock:
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

I know some of these have been mentioned...

comedies I have enjoyed:
Better off ted
community
Archer
Scrubs
The League

Drama's I have enjoyed:
Dead like Me
Firefly
Luthor (BBC)
Hustle (BBC)
West Wing
White colar
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Since it hasn't been added to anyone's list, next recommendation is on cable channel Showtime,
Ray Donovan.

Tonight, July 12th is the Season 3's start.

In one weekend I think you could do a marathon and get through Season's 1 & 2.

Here's some info on the series and the start of Season 3.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/ray-donovan ... hollander/

***Reading back on my recommendation of the submarine show Last Resort, WOW was
I so wrong. Series got cancelled very quickly, and I hated the show.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just started binge watching Louis CK and I can't stop. The strange thing is, given his background, you expect this to be 100% comedy all the time, but damn it can get really dark, and even end on very dark, unfunny (but still good) tones.

If you are a white, 40 something male, with kids, I can't imagine a more...damn I don't even know the word...fitting? real? depressing? series on television. While it's funny, it also cuts VERY close to the bone, at least for me. Shockingly so. In fact, I think that's why I watched about 4 episodes back to back, just to see if he would continue exploring and dramatizing MY EXACT THOUGHTS, or was it just a fluke.

Nope...the dude is eerily on target consistently. Creepy, funny and sad at all once.

In other news, the latest season (10) of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is spectacular in its ability to continue to be hilarious, even using the same old formulas from previous seasons. As much as I love Community, I love IASIP even more. As mentioned in a previous thread, it's like Garbage Pail Kids are to Cabbage Patch Kids, like Cards Against Humanity is to Apples to Apples.

IASIP is like that with say Friends, or even Seinfeld. It's the raunchier, controversial, and funnier version of those kinds of shows, IMO. If you are offended easily (or even not so easily), are a mentally mature adult, or find "low" humor unfunny (or even believe there is a such a thing), this show is not for you.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Just started binge watching Louis CK and I can't stop. The strange thing is, given his background, you expect this to be 100% comedy all the time, but damn it can get really dark, and even end on very dark, unfunny (but still good) tones.

If you are a white, 40 something male, with kids, I can't imagine a more...damn I don't even know the word...fitting? real? depressing? series on television. While it's funny, it also cuts VERY close to the bone, at least for me. Shockingly so. In fact, I think that's why I watched about 4 episodes back to back, just to see if he would continue exploring and dramatizing MY EXACT THOUGHTS, or was it just a fluke.

Nope...the dude is eerily on target consistently. Creepy, funny and sad at all once.
Wait till you get to the episode with Robin Williams in it.

I've been watching Louie since it first debuted. As the series has progressed it's gotten less
about funny situations or things that made me laugh to situations that were more on the serious
side of his life in the series, ranging from as you said, the creepy and sad, and sometimes darker
side.

If there's one thing I take away from any episode I watch of Louie is my life doesn't suck as bad
and I shouldn't be depressed about things when compared to this. :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: If you are offended easily (or even not so easily), are a mentally mature adult, or find "low" humor unfunny (or even believe there is a such a thing), this show is not for you.
Lowbrow humor is immature by definition.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Rip wrote:OK, just finished up the first 6 season of Murdoch Mysteries.

Now where to find last couple seasons?

That one's a bit tricky. Since the seasons you watched were originally on a different network than the show currently airs on, I think Netflix would need to negotiate a new contract with the new network (CBC) in order to get the last couple of seasons. Other than that, in the U.S, it currently airs on Ovation as The Artful Detective.

http://www.ovationtv.com/series/artful-detective/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:

If you're desperate, you can try streaming them from the CBC. It looks like they have seasons 1-2 and 5-8.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

Max Peck wrote:
Rip wrote:

If you're desperate, you can try streaming them from the CBC. It looks like they have seasons 1-2 and 5-8.
They discriminate against Americans.

I will just have to figure out when I can squeeze watching it into a free 30 day trial of a smart proxy. :whistle:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
Rip wrote:

They discriminate against Americans.

I will just have to figure out when I can squeeze watching it into a free 30 day trial of a smart proxy. :whistle:
Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but I don't have a VPN set up to make me look American so I couldn't check it first.

<insert obligatory "Sorry, eh!" here>
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

lildrgn wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:36 am Gravity Falls on Disney Channel. It's a cartoon and it's fantastic. Think X-files for kids, but crazy funny.
And available on Disney+ now. I can finally watch it! :horse:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Mrs. Maisel is back!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

sgoldj wrote:Mrs. Maisel is back!
Today or tomorrow?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.