Tell me what to watch, I need a new TV show.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Orgull

Tell me what to watch, I need a new TV show.

Post by Orgull »

It's that time of year again. :P

Best show ever: It's a tie between The Wire and Breaking Bad

My favorites that are still going: Fringe, The Walking Dead, Dexter, Supernatural, Person of Interest

Shows I enjoyed enough to watch every episode: Medium, Ghost Whisperer, True Blood, American Horror Story, Alcatraz, Lost, Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT), Firefly, Buffy, Angel, Justified, White Collar, 24, Prison Break, Dr. Who, Terra Nova, Boston Legal, Battlestar Galactica, The Mentalist, Lie to Me

Shows I enjoyed but lost interest in: CSI, NCIS, The Unit, House, Warehouse 13, Sanctuary, Futurama, Big Bang Theory, Seinfeld, Law & Order

Any suggestions would be more than welcome, thanks!
Defiant

Re: Tell me what to watch, I need a new TV show.

Post by Defiant »

If you enjoyed the classic series of Doctor Who, there's plenty of other British SF around that you might enjoy (Survivors (the original), Tomorrow People, Sapphire and Steel, The Avengers, etc.)

Since you like Buffy, you'll probably enjoy Veronica Mars and maybe Roswell.

Since you previously enjoyed CSI and NCIS, you might enjoy Criminal Minds.

Other Shows I recommend:
West Wing, Gilmore Girls, Stargate.

And losing interest in Futurama? Unpossible.
tgb

Post by tgb »

The Prisoner (the original).
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

You asked for it, you got it.

But you have to wait for it, because if you want a new tv show, this one is BRAND NEW.

Thursday, Sept 27th, ABC's Last Resort

You can check out the details here -
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/2 ... 28201.html

There's a couple of video clips and a very short sneak preview.

I'm all over this one. Nothing kicks more ass than a drama on a submarine.
Sabassis

Post by Sabassis »

Seen everything on your list, so i am sure your interests match mine. Criminal Minds is good, but your missing one of the best on your list, Farscape! Awesome series.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Falling Skies isn't on your list, so I'll recommend it. It starts off pretty uneven, and it has the typical Spielberg flaw of being child- and family-oriented, but the storyline hits its stride and characters start to gel in season 2. It's certainly a lot better than Terra Nova was.

(edit) I'll second Farscape. We are nearly done watching season 3 out of only 4 seasons made.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

Definitely.
moghedian

Post by moghedian »

We would suggest Copper on BBC America.
Last edited by moghedian on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A carousel horse, who is constantly lost...Standing still but always running
tgb

Post by tgb »

Homicide:Life on the Street. You can see what Gus Fring was up to before the chicken business.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I don't see How I met your mother anywhere so I'll suggest it.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Dead Like Me

Pushing Daisies

Finder
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

sgoldj wrote:Dead Like Me
This.
Creepy_Smell

Post by Creepy_Smell »

Better off ted
mighty boosh
Louis
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Suits. It has the character depth and humour of the early seasons of House. Similarly, there's a new legal case each week which is usually resolved by one of the main characters having an epiphany. But the real draw is the overarching stories that progress over multiple episodes.

The problem with House, in my opinion, was that it wanted to remain a medical procedural ("the medical CSI"). The freshest episodes in the last few seasons were the ones in which House got out of the hospital and met a whole new cast of characters in the mental hospital and prison. (Most of the show's other characters were also fantastic, but grew stagnant over an agonizingly long eight full network seasons.) Unlike House, Suits uses the law office only as a setting for its light but extremely engaging character drama, and therefore has remained fresh through its first couple of seasons.

Criminal Minds, in my opinion, is an improvement on CSI but still repetitive and dull, especially since Mandy Patinkin left the show. The characters are well defined but two-dimensional. Their arcs are extremely brief, and the show is mainly episodic in focus.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

Gravity Falls on Disney Channel. It's a cartoon and it's fantastic. Think X-files for kids, but crazy funny.
You complete me.
words
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Laser Fart
http://www.channel101.com/show/136" target="_blank

Dohar, Lord of Beasts
http://www.channel101.com/show/217" target="_blank

Yacht Rock
http://www.channel101.com/show/171" target="_blank
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Arrested Development: The Complete Series is on sale at Amazon today. If you like your TV on DVD.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Toe

Post by Toe »

The Shield (was on FX).
stessier

Post by stessier »

JSHAW wrote:You asked for it, you got it.

But you have to wait for it, because if you want a new tv show, this one is BRAND NEW.

I just don't get how this show is going to work. I could see how it might make for a good movie, but can't imagine it being stretched out over a season. Battlestar Galactica was basically a submarine show, but they had a whole fleet of subs to work with.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jag

Post by Jag »

I would second Arrested Development (on Netflix and Amazon) but if you didn't like Seinfeld and Futurama, you probably wouldn't like AD.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy Nym wrote:Suits. It has the character depth and humour of the early seasons of House. Similarly, there's a new legal case each week which is usually resolved by one of the main characters having an epiphany. But the real draw is the overarching stories that progress over multiple episodes.
I started liking Suits but it lost it for me and got pulled from TiVo between seasons. I think part of it is that it like to keep a very high level tension on a serial basis that's never actually released and I don't want that in my entrainment. I think that's why I quit watching Mad Men as well.

I enjoyed House enough to watch it to the end, which happened just in time for Sherlock which is far and away the best show on TV right now. The only problem with Sherlock (and it's a big one) is that you only get three episodes every other year. Damn you BBC! The acting, the narration/writing, the direction, the cinematography/production are all the best on TV. If you haven't seen it, I can't think of a better TV than the first two seasons (about nine hours) of Sherlock. We should get another 270 minutes in mid 2014 in the US.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

speaking of Arrested Development, Its the amazon gold box deal of the day, today. The entire series on dvd is only $27! http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe ... pe_00_head" target="_blank
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I strongly endorse the earlier suggestions of Arrested Development and Homicide: Life on the Street (and if you only see one episode of Homicide, make it The Subway). Also consider giving Community a try.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

LordMortis wrote:I started liking Suits but it lost it for me and got pulled from TiVo between seasons. I think part of it is that it like to keep a very high level tension on a serial basis that's never actually released and I don't want that in my entrainment.
That's why it's good! :wink:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

AWS260 wrote:I strongly endorse the earlier suggestions of Arrested Development and Homicide: Life on the Street (and if you only see one episode of Homicide, make it The Subway). Also consider giving Community a try.
Community is somewhat uneven as a series but when its on, it is pure awesomeness! Some of Communitys episodes are the best TV comedy Ive ever seen. If for no other reason, watch it for the Paintball episodes, if you dont laugh your ass off, you need a humor transplant, stat!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy Nym wrote:
LordMortis wrote:I started liking Suits but it lost it for me and got pulled from TiVo between seasons. I think part of it is that it like to keep a very high level tension on a serial basis that's never actually released and I don't want that in my entrainment.
That's why it's good! :wink:
For some. Not for me. I love the Ima Robot theme song too. I'm still waiting for these guys to come to Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slgj96aXgQk" target="_blank
tgb

Post by tgb »

AWS260 wrote:I strongly endorse the earlier suggestions of Arrested Development and Homicide: Life on the Street (and if you only see one episode of Homicide, make it The Subway). Also consider giving Community a try.

Ahhh....The Subway. I never realized that was Vincent D'onofrio down there.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Lost Girl - it's a Whedon-ish guilty pleasure

Covert Affairs - lite spy fare, protagonist is Mary Sue Marysuerston

Dollhouse - if you want to be a Whedon completionist; overall not awesome but there are some definite good/great parts IMO
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Lots got resolved in this season of Suits. Yes, it maintained a high level of tension throughout, but everything was resolved in the Finale other than one relationship thread. Love that show.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Arrested Development. Definitely.
wire

Post by wire »

The original British version of Life on Mars. Two seasons with a start and conclusion...like most British shows they don't try and stretch serials out 10 seasons like we do here.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

stessier wrote:
JSHAW wrote:You asked for it, you got it.

I just don't get how this show is going to work. I could see how it might make for a good movie, but can't imagine it being stretched out over a season. Battlestar Galactica was basically a submarine show, but they had a whole fleet of subs to work with.
I'm willing to give this show a shot because it's creator is Shawn Ryan, executive producer/writer of The Shield. He's no newb to a tv series.

I've also read some things about the plot that lead me to believe the show "might" make it for at least 1 season, maybe more.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Oh hells yeah, I completely forgot Sherlock, as its in hiatus until next year. As LM said, it is simply the best thing on TV right now. Cumberbatch and Freeman ate brilliant in the roles of a modern Holmes and Watson. It's true that there's only 3 episodes per season but they are all basically 2 hour movies. Find these on disc and watch them now. You'll see why Cumberbatch is in such demand these days.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

wire wrote:The original British version of Life on Mars. Two seasons with a start and conclusion...like most British shows they don't try and stretch serials out 10 seasons like we do here.
The US version is a good follow up once you've watched the UK version. It has the same format, just 17 episodes. Ending might be a bit off but otherwise it's worth it if you've seen the UK one.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Tommy20

Post by Tommy20 »

Heil Honey I'm Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWjCkcAmzDc" target="_blank
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jag wrote: but if you didn't like Seinfeld and Futurama, you probably wouldn't like AD.
If you love Futurama and hate Seinfeld, should you watch every other episode?
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I just finished watching the first season of Nikita on Netflix. Pretty decent spy show.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

I wasn't a huge Seinfeld fan and have watched only a handful of Futurama, and Arrested Development is my favourite comedy.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Lost Girl - it's a Whedon-ish guilty pleasure

Covert Affairs - lite spy fare, protagonist is Mary Sue Marysuerston

Dollhouse - if you want to be a Whedon completionist; overall not awesome but there are some definite good/great parts IMO
I was just going to post about Covert Affairs. I think it is one of my favorites right now. Also check out Homeland :!:
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.