Thinking of ditching cable tv, thoughts

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Thinking of ditching cable tv, thoughts

Post by LordMortis »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:42 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:44 pm and what is the process for purchasing and configuring my own cable modem, rather than renting one).
there isn't much of one. buy your DOCSYS 3.1 cable modem for ~$120, do basic configuration by swapping in the new modem and letting it autoconfig, access the modem via your PC to fill in some info and it's working. then call xfinity to set up the rental modem return.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... ble-modems
Thanks for the link!

I did not know that one of the values of dropping WOW and getting xfinity goes away if I get my own modem
Coverage
Additionally, if you rent a Gateway, you’ll have access to millions of Xfinity WiFi hotspots while away from home, helping to save on cellular data usage and mobile billing costs. You can also use Xfinity WiFi hotspots* to give your guests WiFi access via the xfinitywifi network without having to share your personal password.

*Xfinity WiFi hotspots are included with Performance Internet subscriptions and above. Learn all about our Xfinity WiFi hotspot network.
Sounds like I will want to pay for their their modem first to see how good these hotspots are. If the hotspots are as good as they tout, then there is a $10 month value addition for me to explore.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:37 pm
I did not know that one of the values of dropping WOW and getting xfinity goes away if I get my own modem
Coverage
Additionally, if you rent a Gateway, you’ll have access to millions of Xfinity WiFi hotspots while away from home, helping to save on cellular data usage and mobile billing costs. You can also use Xfinity WiFi hotspots* to give your guests WiFi access via the xfinitywifi network without having to share your personal password.

*Xfinity WiFi hotspots are included with Performance Internet subscriptions and above. Learn all about our Xfinity WiFi hotspot network.
Sounds like I will want to pay for their their modem first to see how good these hotspots are. If the hotspots are as good as they tout, then there is a $10 month value addition for me to explore.
that's not correct in my experience. i still have access to Xfinity WiFi even though i no longer rent their modem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:54 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:37 pm
Coverage

that's not correct in my experience. i still have access to Xfinity WiFi even though i no longer rent their modem.
Yeah, I don't know if that statement is just badly worded or intentionally misleading, but you certainly don't have to rent their equipment to get access to Xfinity WiFi hotspots. I've been using my own modem for over 2 years, and I use those hotspots almost daily (half the time it's because my phone for some reason prefers connecting to a neighbor's hotspot instead of my own in-home Wi-Fi).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

By happy coincidence, I received a plastic snail mail yesterday inviting me to come into a physical local office to discuss my options. Location is much closer than "local" WOW office. I can go on a lunch break... Just not today.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have a small problem with Prime movies. Twice now, I've watched movies that cut text from the bottom. One of them had subtitles that I couldn't see, the other just had some overlay text that was chopped at the bottom. The movies display the full width of the screen with letterbox at top and bottom. I can't find any settings for the screen ratio, presumably that gets set automatically. Images don't appear stretched or compressed and I wouldn't know that I'm missing part of the picture if it weren't for the text.

Haven't seen this when watching YTTV or DVDs, so I think my TV settings are fine (and I can't find anywhere to change the screen ratio anyway). Seems specific to Amazon. The one complaint I found on Amazon's forums is about vertical stretching, and it blames Samsung TVs.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:52 pm By happy coincidence, I received a plastic snail mail yesterday inviting me to come into a physical local office to discuss my options. Location is much closer than "local" WOW office. I can go on a lunch break... Just not today.
Did you ever drop WOW? If not, data caps may be coming to you this year. (So far they are only in IL.)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres no reason for data caps. Saw a entire news thing on it. Its why AT&T is so reviled. Also AT&T is pushing for broadband to be recognized as 10 mbps. The Gov is trying for 100/100 I think.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:50 am Theres no reason for data caps. Saw a entire news thing on it. Its why AT&T is so reviled. Also AT&T is pushing for broadband to be recognized as 10 mbps. The Gov is trying for 100/100 I think.
It's not just AT&T - it's the industry lobbying group pushing for that. Comcast also has data caps. Charter will as soon as their merger conditions expire (less than 2 years). Fortunately for them, they written state laws to prohibit public ISP options, so there is no competition.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:37 am
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:52 pm By happy coincidence, I received a plastic snail mail yesterday inviting me to come into a physical local office to discuss my options. Location is much closer than "local" WOW office. I can go on a lunch break... Just not today.
Did you ever drop WOW? If not, data caps may be coming to you this year. (So far they are only in IL.)
:oops:

I did not. The week I went to drop they raised my bandwidth and replaced my modem "at no cost" and I am loathe to cause too much disruption while working from home. Their service is still for crap but it's better. Not enough to warrant all the price increases but better. I'm likely to stick with them for the foreseeable future at least until WFH is pretty much taken from me or I can find a good long vacation where I have to rely on the constancy of the Internet less, even if it's unreliable now.

I have my OTA antenna set up, it works... soso and I've been streaming free services for a good while now to get a feel for not having cable and HBO's streaming service covers my Cartoon Network needs, assuming I learn to adapt to watching on demand instead of background TV to keep me company. I just have to make the commitment and I suck at making the commitment.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

What’s the current hivemind thinking on cordcutting?

I was with DirectTV while they were under AT&T but the cable costs were absurd, and the internet max was 50mbps, which is not acceptable in a house with 5 ppl.

Then I switched to Spectrum, and I hate it. Internet is faster, yes, and by a good bit, but it’s also spottier, and the cable tv part of it sucks.

Now apparently Directv split with AT&T, but I’m honestly tired of all of them and their never ending shenanigans.

Thoughts?

I already have tons of streaming hardware devices, so that at least is a non issue.

I must have access to:
NFL live games (just the regular broadcast stuff, not the premium packages)
ESPN
And I guess the normal basic networks: ABC, CBS, etc.

That’s it. No one watches any of the garbage found on all the remaining infomercial channels. :p
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mentioned it elsewhere at some point, but I cancelled my DirecTV subscription after being a customer for 21 years; the CSR didn't even blink. "Ok, here is your confirmation and we'll be sending you a box to return the equipment. Have a nice day." I wasn't expecting them to do anything, but the fact that they didn't even try was...surprising.

Anyway, with my active subs (Netflix/Hulu+ live TV+ DVR/Disney+/Prime), plus a free year of Apple+ and a soon-to-be HBO 50% for 6 months sub (offer good until this weekend, I think), I am still below my monthly bill for the DTV subscription. This is absolutely all possible only because I have rock solid internet (~110 MBPS) that only required moving to a new house right before a pandemic. :wink:

Hulu+ Live TV will get you your main network channels and 98% of what you are accustomed to with DTV. I think the only thing I'm missing is AMC and perhaps some random food or pet channel.

Disney+ through Hulu will get you ESPN, which would fill in any gaps from Live TV football coverage. I also pay more to get the DVR and even more to go ad-free. Again, still cheaper than a DTV sub to get their DVR and pay extra for a HD space-signal.

It's been like ~3 months and while the initial transition was a bit rough, fundamentally now, nothing has changed - still waaaay too much to watch and not enough time to do it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Right. I came close to pulling the trigger on the Hulu bundle before I went (foolishly) back to Spectrum.

Guess I will do that, and keep AT&T for internet. Really wish I had a viable alternative, there.

For some reason I’m still mentally stuck on the idea that my TV/cable subs and internet provider are somehow connected, or should be. No longer true, and hasn’t been for a long while I guess.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I haven't had cable tv in over 5 years. I much prefer the a la carte approach. I like something on Disney? Subscribe for a month or two.

Right now I'm subscribing to:

Hulu without ads

HBO Max (although I'll probably kick it to the curb after Doom Patrol finishes its upcoming third season...until something else comes along I like and I'll resub)

Netflix

Shudder (for my horror and Job Bob Briggs fix...but it's less than 5 bucks a month if you buy it for a year)

Amazon Prime (although I don't really watch much on it, I've found. Expanse and The Boys...but that's about it. I keep it primarily for the free shipping).

All told, I'm spending between 35 to 50 bucks a month on streaming services at any random point in time. And I don't have to deal with hidden taxes and fees that suddenly appear on my cable tv bill (that used to drive me nuts).

I did buy a year's subscription to Plex that I'll probably convert to a lifetime subscription soon. I absolutely love Plex though. And since they started adding free movies and tv shows to their online library, it's even more of a bargain.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

I have never had Hulu Live but have over the years had PS Vue (now defunct), Sling TV, DirecTV Now, and YouTube TV. YTTV is my favorite - by far, and I have used that for the last few Falls. (I only get live TV during the CFB season.) Of the ones I tried it is by far my favorite. Before YTTV I never got all of my locals which is why I prefer it. I have no idea if the other live streaming services have caught up to YTTV since then. YTTV is also $65/month. They also have a 4K upgrade option but at $20/month, I find that to be ridiculous so haven't tried it. I have no idea how much 4K content there is on live TV anyway - and at that price I didn't bother to research it.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Glad you mentioned 4K, I meant to add that to my list of requirements, or at least strong wants. At $20/mo extra though? Agree that that is absurdly expensive.

Do they have a list of channels broadcasting at 4K?

I need to find out if Hulu TV has it.

And now that you mention the price ($65), it reminds me why I went with Spectrum instead of Hulu or YTTV (which I trialed). Pretty much same price! Only difference is with cable you have to call every year to keep getting that rate (and it’s not guaranteed).

I remember being disappointed by how high the price was for the streaming services I looked at since I was expecting the cord cutter options to be less $$ than cable.

And it would be…significantly, if i didn’t want live sports. That’s really the difference (and maybe also access to local/basic cable broadcasters).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sometimes I miss the simplicity of cable. And channel-surfing. Poor Sudy will never know the joy of smoking a bowl and flipping through 100 channels of junk TV as fast as your thumb could move.

YouTube TV gives me all the content that cable used to. And like cable, I only watch a tiny fraction of what it has. Between YTTV and the three streaming services we get, we're paying about the same as we did for cable alone. (I consider Prime to be "free" because we joined it to get free Amazon shipping long before we started streaming video.)
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yeah when the live streaming services were new, they offered more savings than they do now. As you say, they are still cheaper than cable "normal" rates without you having to call and threaten to cancel to get those from cable. I just find "live tv" a terrible deal. But, I still love CFB so I pay for it for 3-4 months a year. There are others you could look at (Sling TV, fubo, etc.)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Man, not giving a shit about sports really saves some cash! :)
disarm

Post by disarm »

It's been almost two years since we ditched Xfinity cable and we don't regret it one bit. YouTube TV has been a great replacement thanks to a ton of channels for DVR functionality. Add Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, Hulu and Peacock to the mix, and we have access to far more content than we need. Fortunately, we get Hulu and Peacock for free through others means, but we gladly pay for the rest, with Disney+ probably being the most worthwhile for our family. Even with various subscriptions, the total cost for Xfinity internet and streaming services comes in significantly lower than we paid for cable TV and all the box rental fees. Cut the record buy a Roku (or similar) for each TV, and don't look back!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:01 pm And it would be…significantly, if i didn’t want live sports. That’s really the difference (and maybe also access to local/basic cable broadcasters).
Which live sports do you need? Is it just the stuff shown on the local stations? Have you looked into a digital antenna (modern day rabbit ears)? If it is for the NFL and you can wait until the game is done, consider Gamepass. I'm using it this year and besides the fact that I have to go into a media blackout until the game is done, it really works well. I get to see the entire game without commercials and it's available just a bit after it ends.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:24 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:01 pm And it would be…significantly, if i didn’t want live sports. That’s really the difference (and maybe also access to local/basic cable broadcasters).
Which live sports do you need? Is it just the stuff shown on the local stations? Have you looked into a digital antenna (modern day rabbit ears)? If it is for the NFL and you can wait until the game is done, consider Gamepass. I'm using it this year and besides the fact that I have to go into a media blackout until the game is done, it really works well. I get to see the entire game without commercials and it's available just a bit after it ends.
Must have:
The local channels which carry NFL games (FOX, CBS, ABC)
AND
ESPN (and its sub channels - specifically the SEC network)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Securities and Exchange Commission has its own network?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yep. It’s just a stream of different webcams in their office, showing them doing absolutely nothing. Every once in a while you’ll see a call come in with a seemingly legit complaint, and they usually just laugh and hang up. Or sometimes they hang up first, then laugh and joke with each other saying “OK, we’ll get RIGHT ON IT!” winking the whole time.

While it’s a bit depressing, it also works pretty well as a sedative.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

At the end of the day I may actually spending a little more because of how crappy my provider is Altice. Just for the phone and internet it's 160 bucks a month. :shock: With the steaming prices going up pretty quick I'm still in the sameish range when you combine that all.
The good thing about streaming is that you can easily cancel or change it within minutes. And you aren't paying ridiculous equipment rental feels. Want to cancel cable? I have to drag equipment over to their office to hand it back.

I checked it a few times and bundling it might save me money for a year, but then the price just jumps back up. I have zero patience to call each year and ask for a better price. And their service sucks anyway. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:13 pm Sometimes I miss the simplicity of cable. And channel-surfing. Poor Sudy will never know the joy of smoking a bowl and flipping through 100 channels of junk TV as fast as your thumb could move.

YouTube TV gives me all the content that cable used to. And like cable, I only watch a tiny fraction of what it has. Between YTTV and the three streaming services we get, we're paying about the same as we did for cable alone. (I consider Prime to be "free" because we joined it to get free Amazon shipping long before we started streaming video.)
As someone with a very strong sense of inertia, I can safely tell you cable prices are accelerating and are no longer equitable with paying for an assortment of streaming services to emulate the full service of cable. My crap cable plus crap Internet is up to $170 a month and seems to be adjusting upward at $10 to $20 a month every year. When I get my exit from worklife one of the first things I do will be shop for more reliable broadband and axe cable for a rotation of streaming content.

And more offensive to me than paying for all of these sports channels is the fact that they keep adding more conservative news channels that I have to pay for Newsmax, so I'm being forced to subsidize the cash grabs that are nothing more than indoctrination stations as if the fact that Fox News makes money off my subscription than they do trying to advertise to me isn't reason enough to hate my rates.

Even when my package was as "low" as $120 month it was still cheaper for me retain cable than to try and emulate it (while not getting all the perks I would from Vue or Sling or Hulu, etc...) That is no longer the case. I should be able to cut to cable, get Amazon Prime, Hulu Premium, and rotate between Netflix, HBO, Disney, Crunchyroll, VIZ, etc... for less than $170 per month and climbing and get all the bonuses, like Amazon free home delivery, and all the on demand stuff I haven't cared about for the last... forever.

Having no income and the ability to go few days without home Internet during a swapout should have no problems overcoming my inertia, whenever that day comes.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Has anyone tried T-Mobile's home internet service? As far as I can tell, it's built on their 5G network and is completely wireless. I've had single people tell me it works fine for them, but I'm concerned about performance under the load of a 4-user household. The price is right, and I'd save money over Comcrap by pairing it with YouTubeTV, which they offer at a discount.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

gbasden wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:35 am Man, not giving a shit about sports really saves some cash! :)
I agree 100%!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:23 pm Has anyone tried T-Mobile's home internet service? As far as I can tell, it's built on their 5G network and is completely wireless. I've had single people tell me it works fine for them, but I'm concerned about performance under the load of a 4-user household. The price is right, and I'd save money over Comcrap by pairing it with YouTubeTV, which they offer at a discount.
My parents use Boost Mobile for Internet and mobile and it was fantastic until the day T Mobile took them over and started carrying their service. Now it ranges from merely tolerable to completely intolerable. You want to check their maps, if nothing else. Honestly, I don't use them Internet except directly from their phone and my experience is that Sprint was acceptable but not great until they became T Mobile and they are a notch or two worse but not horrible. What exactly is T Mobile and what is part of their legacy businesses? I have no clue.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When we upgraded phones a few months ago, we were switched to a T-Mobile plan, that's what comes up on our phones. However, when I made an inquiry about the internet service, I was told that I was still on the Sprint billing system, and until those systems are merged I cannot get that service. My wife could, however, but still want to hear from some people who used it that don't work for T-Mobile.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

gbasden wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:35 am Man, not giving a shit about sports really saves some cash! :)
:lol:

ditto
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:52 pm

ditto
+1

I make up for it with spending on board game. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:46 pm When we upgraded phones a few months ago, we were switched to a T-Mobile plan, that's what comes up on our phones. However, when I made an inquiry about the internet service, I was told that I was still on the Sprint billing system, and until those systems are merged I cannot get that service. My wife could, however, but still want to hear from some people who used it that don't work for T-Mobile.
Depending on how you enter the Sprint system means some of your bands in 5G don't work. It's pretty easy to look up though.

First thing I found but a couple of minutes of diligence will bear fruit.

https://beebom.com/list-5g-bands-us-ver ... -t-mobile/
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:52 pm

ditto
I gotta have football. If not Comcrap, then Sling or something similar. Sling is $25/mo, I was paying slightly less with a basic package with Comcrap though. If I went with the T-Mobile internet route, that+YouTube TV (which would provide football) would be somewhat less than I'm paying now.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Well, this thread fired me up to finally make the call to Spectrum tonight, and end our TV relationship (not the internet though).

The retention agent I spoke with was amazingly professional, and about as far from pushy as you can get. In fact, I got no pushback whatsoever when I said I wanted to cancel.

Anyhoo: I realize now why my "cable" has been so unbelievably shitty for the past year that I've been with Spectrum (again). They sold me the streaming only option vs the hardwired coax option! No wonder none of my wiring in the house worked, and so many other issues (like watching 4K or HD content on the TV, and it absolutely wrecks the internet speeds for everyone else).

So instead of canceling, I am going to try coax first. I got the same rate as I am paying now, the only difference is I need one of their cable boxes. I can't beleive it took me a year to realize that that was the issue (though we watch SO little TV until football season and during the Olympics, it only really became a big issue the past couple months). Every bad experience we have had this time around was due to the streaming nature of our access, vs the hardwired coax that we had previously. Even down to the crappy and VERY limited DVR type service (which only lets me go 30m past a scheduled recording time, which any football fan will tell you is not nearly enough time considering OT's, late starts, etc).

It's still WAY overpriced IMO for basically just watching football ($97/month). The ad free Hulu Live TV bundle thing is $73 (I am sure that is before any fees or taxes) and I hear they are raising prices in October. Downside there is that it's still just streaming, and not coax. I suspect their DVR and software is streets ahead of the craptacular Spectrum app I was using on the AppleTV though.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i will post again a reminder: check your local library system for free streaming services that may be available to you.

for me, Kanopy and Hoopla are both provided by Seattle Public Library _and_ from King County Library System (due to the library tax funding structure here, they are completely different institutions)

https://www.kanopy.com/

https://www.hoopladigital.com/
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:45 pm i will post again a reminder: check your local library system for free streaming services that may be available to you.

for me, Kanopy and Hoopla are both provided by Seattle Public Library _and_ from King County Library System (due to the library tax funding structure here, they are completely different institutions)

https://www.kanopy.com/

https://www.hoopladigital.com/
Wow, I knew about Hoopla for ebooks (have used it MANY times), but didn't know they had movies and TV....and after just browsing their library for those two, I still consider them to not offer TV or movies. :P

Kanopy, OTOH, I did not know about (just created an account), and that does have some fantastic titles in there. Lots of A24 studios (all?) stuff. Unfortunately, I've watched most of the better titles I saw in the list. Still, it's a nice resource and I will see if I can somehow add access to that from my AppleTV (do they have an app maybe?)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:55 pm Kanopy, OTOH, I did not know about (just created an account), and that does have some fantastic titles in there. Lots of A24 studios (all?) stuff. Unfortunately, I've watched most of the better titles I saw in the list. Still, it's a nice resource and I will see if I can somehow add access to that from my AppleTV (do they have an app maybe?)
i would be surprised if there wasn't one

(but yes, they also have the entire Criterion Collection)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thanks for the heads up. All I have to do is get a library card and I get
OverDrive | Hoopla | Kanopy | TumbleBooks Premium
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:22 pm Thanks for the heads up. All I have to do is get a library card and I get
OverDrive | Hoopla | Kanopy | TumbleBooks Premium
TumbleBooks is all interactive children's books, so I think the utility of that for you would be marginal
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:14 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:55 pm Kanopy, OTOH, I did not know about (just created an account), and that does have some fantastic titles in there. Lots of A24 studios (all?) stuff. Unfortunately, I've watched most of the better titles I saw in the list. Still, it's a nice resource and I will see if I can somehow add access to that from my AppleTV (do they have an app maybe?)
(but yes, they also have the entire Criterion Collection)
Yeah, the two offerings couldn't be more different. It's like one offers movies that ONLY a super picky movie snob critic hand curated, and the other, comparatively, is a collection of the "B" Hallmark movies that were so bad they didn't make it on the air. :P